Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

oh um

I think someone might have beaten you to the punch on that one.

I love how that uses the "Archie Adventure Series" logo. Just perfects the whole thing. Wonderful trolling, there. I almost want to see what his face would be upon seeing this.

(...Is it weird that his mustache still freaks me out, even now?)

There's is much better. Can't win'em all.

I like your's more. The "Su to the extreme" cracks me up.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, after reading some of these posts here, I would like to give my opinions on what I see going on so far, when it comes to the comic book of Sonic the Hedgehog.

First of all, let's start with the whole Ken Penders situation with Archie comics and him recently showcasing teaser pictures of characters that he introduced during his run as head writer on the Sonic comic book.

Now some feel that Ken Penders is driving himself into obsessive embarrassment. The reason many fans feel this way or say this about Ken is because he hasn't even won his court case against Archie comics, a case I mind you that many feel he will not win at all, but yet he's already displaying and showing what fans can look forward to in his so-called or upcoming "Guardians"story.

Now here's my opinion on why he's doing this. Ken Penders probably feels very confident that he's going to win this case, that he feels nothing can go wrong and that him showcasing these pictures will be just the beginning of something new that he believes long time Sonic and Knuckles fans will enjoy probably more than what their reading currently in the Sonic comic book.

This may be true, however I feel the same way as many fans do when we all say that Ken Penders shouldn't toot his horn before his big moment which may never come. The reason being is because Ken Penders is going up against possibly not just Archie comics but also in a way the Sega Corporation, for you see many have pointed out the fact that Ken Penders when he wrote for the comic initially that he signed over all rights and characters that even he created exclusively for the comic and its spinoffs. Now Ken Penders will deny the fact and has denied the fact that he signed anything that concerned his characters, this might be true, however those in charge at Archie comics have stated that he did sign over the rights to his characters to them and when many fans and even experts in business look at this case they all say and agree that not only did Ken Penders sign over the rights to his characters to Archie comics allowing them to use those characters however they see fit, but in the long run he signed over ownership of the characters to those that have that out right say on what can be used and done in the comics, concerning characters, elements from the games and overall stories that can be adapted, and those people are the Sega Corporation, thus meaning any characters that Ken Penders made during his run on the comic and its spinoffs now solely belong not just to Archie comics but more importantly to the Sega Corporation.

Now this is why many fans and many experts in business and court cases feel Ken Penders will lose this case to Archie comics. However things might go a different way and if they do many feel that this may change the comic as they know it and have known it forever, because if Ken wins somehow, then those characters he created during his run with the comic will be removed from the comic or will still be used in the comic only if Archie comics and possibly even Sega agree to pay the royalties that Ken Penders says they owe him and continued to do so every time they use one of his characters. However that's only if Ken Penders wins this case, but just like many fans and many experts in the law business, comic book business and overall media court cases, I feel with all due respect to Ken Penders and the great stories that he wrote for the Archie Sonic comic book I believe that this whole situation is a losing battle and I believe that for all the pictures and teasers that Ken Penders is showing us right now will all be for not, in other words we may see what he has planned but will never see it come to fution due to the fact that the case he's trying to win is a losing one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now as far as Ian Flynn goes, many fans long-time and short time fans have a difference of opinion on his writing. Now apparently at the FUS message board some members have argued over the fact that either what Ian has done recently in the comics is either a good thing or bad thing. Now some users or members have stated that both the SegaSonic and Sonic SatAM fans don't like the direction that the comic is going.

For example, one fan doesn't trust what Flynn is going to do next even though they don't know what he's got planned for the future of the comic, yet the distrust they have for Ian is due to him and the editor-in-chief of the comic saying that going towards the 250th anniversary issue that for the Freedom Fighters and their friends, that going towards that anniversary issue it will all be a downward spiral for the characters and for this particular fan and many others if not some others like him this causes concern for what Ian Flynn has in store for the characters.

As a matter of fact this distrust that this fan on the at FUS forms and even another fan at YouTube has for Ian Flynn I guess you could say went up a few notches when in the final panel of issue 232 which is the more recent issue, the main villain was last seen taking a blowtorch to the now mechanized Sally Acorn. Now by seeing this of course these two fans and others like them, that the distrust they already have towards Flynn would most definitely increase because they feel he's hurting the character even more or in some cases showing his true feelings and hatred towards the character. However some fans have try to, I guess you could say reason with these fans by saying things could be worse by using as examples fan fiction stories that have been downright unbearable and embarrassing even going as far as using one erotic fan fiction story (title and plot description included) that featured the character Mina Mongoose and her nightly getting it on encounters with several of the Sonic male characters. Now by using these fan fiction story titles as examples they are pretty much trying to tell these fans that they should be thankful they have an actual fan as the head writer and not somebody or someone's the write the garbage as they put it that they just saw and read.

Now I agree that this is a good point and as I have said before, I myself have no vendetta against Ian Flynn but I will admit I do not like what he did to Sally, however I am like those fans that are in the middle and are just waiting to see where he goes with the story from here.

What's funny about this though, is that several fans who go on Ian Flynn's message board have said and I don't know if this is true (however with new head writers they always want to try to outdo the previous writers) or not, but it seems that according to some, Ian Flynn wants to make a story arc that's bigger not just in issues length but bigger in story arc overall and something that the day that he does step down as the head writer will be remembered for many years to come, as a matter of fact according to some of these visitors to his message board this story arc that apparently will conclude in the 250th anniversary issue is supposed to be bigger and I guess he's hoping for it to be more memorable than the "Endgame" miniseries/story arc which concluded in the 50th anniversary issue.

Now I must admit that this is a very high goal to try to achieve even for Ian Flynn. But like many fans out there if not several fans whither they like the direction the comic's going in or not I have to agree that trying to outdo the classic miniseries/story arc that is "Endgame" might be and possibly is impossible to do.

However the unexpected and the impossible has been achieved before in the past when it comes to comic books and some of these epic story arcs that companies like Marvel and DC comics have done for several of their franchise characters, have either succeeded or bombed and failed. I mean sure there may have been a head writer on let's say X-Men that try to make a story arc, an epic story arc that they would hope outdue and be more remembered then the Phoenix Saga and perhaps in the end didn't achieve that goal because they realized nothing can touch the overall Phoenix saga. Which is why many/several fans like myself feel it may be impossible for Ian Flynn to achieve that goal. As a matter of fact several fans feel that Ian Flynn should not attempt to write epic story arcs and that just writing four-part story arcs like what he does sometimes for the Sonic Universe comic is a better direction for him to go in, as a matter of fact there is one fan at the Saturday Morning Sonic forms that feels this same way.

The one problem which has been constant with Ian Flynn in the eyes of many is that some of the things he does in the stories at times doesn't make any sense. For example in 230, in my eyes and in the eyes of several others he more or less made Sonic look like an idiot, the reason being is that at the end of 229 he restored the timeline to normal, thus saving Sally from being killed, only to turn around and have Sally get turned into a robot, thus making our main hero look like an idiot and a fool because apparently he restored the timeline to save Sally and in the end it was all not. Another example would be more recently in the 232 issue where for some odd reason he had Nagus use his magic to restore Bunnie to not a half robotic state but to full flesh and blood, now there are those that like what Ian Flynn did here just like they liked Sally's sacrifice in 230, however on the other side of the plane there are those that don't like it either way, for they feel that the way Bunnie was restored to flesh and blood was nothing more than a copout but then again there are those that see it otherwise and feel it is not a copout. Then of course there's the robotic Sally situation as I mentioned above there are those that don't like the fact that in the final panel of the most recent issue you have Eggman holding a blowtorch towards the face of the now robotic/mechanized Sally.

Now just like with the Bunnie being restored situation, there is a difference of opinion on that final panel in the main story of 232, for you see many feel the villain is making Sally into a battle droid with possibly no chance of her being restored to flesh and blood herself (add on the rumor that someone started, that Ian Flynn has stated that Sally will not be restored to flesh and blood), others however have try to reason with those that feel that way by saying that the villain is possibly implanting something into Sally that may come in handy in the future or in some cases create more dramatic effect, example being the villain putting a bomb inside Sally just like he did with the DEL, however that's just speculation. And one final example here of some of the things that Ian Flynn does in the comic that doesn't make sense is having St. John just grab the crown off Elias head and placing it on Nagus's head thus making him King. Now I will admit that that is just (and excuse my language I say this) fucked up, and the reason I say that is because if your going to become King you either have the crown passed down to you because you're the next in line or you fight for the crown that you feel is rightfully yours and to me and many others that makes more sense than just taking it off one's head and placing it on another's and I'm sure anybody reading this would agree.

To say that 2011 and 2012 have ended and begun with the same old crap from a previous head writer as well as to say that the current head writer in several eyes is way over his head with what he's doing currently doing may be saying a little too much and maybe saying a lot less. But now that were in 2012 we will just have to see how things pan out when it comes to the Ken Penders versus Archie comics court case and will just have to see how things pan out with Ian Flynn taking us on this spiral ride for the next 11 months which will end with 244 and thus lead us into the summer of 2013 with the 250th issue, that being however if Mr. Flynn with all due respect is still working as the head writer of the main Sonic comic book or if he's moved on to other things and handed over the reins of head writer to somebody else or two other people (the two new writers) and that's all I have to say about what's going on with several of the topics that I have read and just have to wait and see what happens next.

Take care and God bless

Is that what Penders looks like?

My oh my, his face is so kickable.

I have this unnecissitated urge to kick his head in.

• Thumbs Up 2

Surprised you never read any of the case-related articles on TSSZ. They always feature his picture on the article.

Edit: In fact, have at it;

Timetoavoidhotlinkblocks.jpg

Edited by VEDJ-F

Surprised you never read any of the case-related articles on TSSZ. They always feature his picture on the article.

• Thumbs Up 1

Edited by AdventChild

So, wait.

We have a bespectacled, mustached egomaniac with delusions of grandeur who claims ownership of something that isn't his, who also has a knack for creating bizarre copies of existing characters for his own purposes as he takes on the entire Sonic world.

pendman2a.png

There's also the possibility that Penders is just making this comic to help his case about owning the characters.

It's kind of funny that the sleazy legalize explanation is more dignified less embarrassing in this situation.

So wait, both Not-Knuckles and ​The Guardian's domestic mate are red but then Lara Su is... brown? I'm not sure if "black" is applicable to this situation. Maybe if I wanted to be politically correct, should I use the phrase "Region-comparable-in-some-way-to-African/Mobian"?

Live Action Eggman done right? And the man to accomplish this was Ken Penders..?

By Odin, this was a plan foretold by the Gods.

Goodness, people. We go from making fun of this silly legal fiasco to making fun of Ken's artwork to making fun of all his previous work to making fun of his personal appearance?

I mean I think this situation is silly as anyone else does, but aren't you guys taking things a lil' bit far?

• Thumbs Up 5

making fun of his personal appearance?

Who's making fun?

For Dr. Mechano to say someone looks sorta like Eggman is anything but an insult. ...I mean, I am still insulting his work and his overall insanity in this case, but certainly not his appearance.

• Thumbs Up 3

Goodness, people. We go from making fun of this silly legal fiasco to making fun of Ken's artwork to making fun of all his previous work to making fun of his personal appearance?

I mean I think this situation is silly as anyone else does, but aren't you guys taking things a lil' bit far?

I guess you're right. I feel like I've been going a bit out there in this topic.

But...come on. He opened up his own can of worms with that shoddy artwork. I just hope he doesn't decide to let us see another so up close again.

Who's making fun?

For Dr. Mechano to say someone looks sorta like Eggman is anything but an insult. ...I mean, I am still insulting his work and his overall insanity in this case, but certainly not his appearance.

It probably wasn't directed towards you, more likely the posts on the previous page

However I can understand the whole deal about Sally, she's kind of like the John Cena of the comic. You see if you watch WWE, you'll notice that you have some fans (male demographic) chanting "CENA SUCKS!", while on the other side you have other fans (female/child demographic) chanting "LET'S GO CENA!".

Now when you compare that to the Sally situation, you can get the same thing, because WWE Fans and wrestling insiders say Cena's conversational, and the same is said when Archie Comics says the same thing about Sally.

Yet, the only difference, is someone at Archie Comics did something drastic & conversational , which has split the fanbase even more, while in the WWE, even though they have hinted at doing some different and drastic with Cena, they have yet (in the eyes of many fans and insiders) to pull that trigger.

We interupt this bwrosas commentary for more penders news!:

From Tylinos at Retro:

I really wanted to wait until something larger to make yet another response in here, but I can't bring myself to ignore Ken's latest stuff. It's just too deluded.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, Ken is seriously trying to claim people picked up the Knuckles series for anything other than brand recognition. And this right after saying people bought Sonic the Comic for brand recognition. Ken, there's a difference between "Picked it up for Knuckles, stayed for your stories," and "Picked it up even without giving a damn about Knuckles." I'm sure there were people who went for Knuckles and stayed for the stories, but claiming more than a very tiny fraction of people went in to begin with not because it was a Knuckles comic is just...wow.

Also, my favourite part: "...you don't want to accept my answer simply because you're a big fan of SONIC THE COMIC." Lovely excuses, Ken. Classy.

Now to current thoughts on the current storyarc in the main comic :

but perhaps Mr. Ian looks at this as something to grab the NEWER Readers, and possibly part of his quest to do the biggest arc in the history of the comic, all coming together at 250.

Edited by bwrosas