Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

[

For one, the Power Gem that was in his chest (and looks to still be on his chest in that cover) could have protected him. It managed to repair him when he was just a pile of scrap, and it could have the capabiliy to shield him from lava.

Edited by goku262002

.And my point was that it's not hard to see why they'd be seen as new to someone who wasn't so up on their comic knowledge.

.And my point was that it's not hard to see why they'd be seen as new to someone who wasn't so up on their comic knowledge.

Edited by goku262002

Okay, aside from Elias, have ANY of these characters ever been important to the Mobian mythos? I recognised them all, and even I'd say you'd be pretty justified in not knowing shit about them because they're so inconsequential.

Is that suppose to be a justification of why they shouldn't have this chance to be important this time? Honestly, it's one thing for characters to be familiar and important, but I don't see how there's a problem when a minor character moves up into a larger role in the mythos. I'd go so far as to say it's nothing more than blocking if I wanted to be a bigger prick about it.

And I guess right there is my main problem with how SU#41 is appearing at the moment; just like in the Dark Mobius arc, Silver is once again just being used as a catalyst for characters most people either didn't know or didn't care about because they were so obscure, and not actually getting any sort character growth out of it.

Now this, I can somewhat understand. But I reserve judgement until we see the actual comic. As unpredicatable things have been (well, I think it's been unpredictable), I can't say it's wise to assume that someone doesn't gain any growth from it.

Considering the number of characters, you could say that for a lot of them. Hell, I thought Regina Ferrum and the Iron King were new characters during the Iron Dominion arc until they pointed out which of the past comics they actually appeared in and looked them up.

Not to mention Horizont-al and Vertic-al whom I've never seen before prior to the Scourge arc. Can't really say that's much of an excuse, and this is coming from someone who has kept a rather decent tab on the comics whenever I can.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I kinda sorta agree with the backlash (I'm sure Ian will make it good but still) but I wonder if you same guys enjoyed the Scourge arc which was filled with useless characters IMO. The Destructix are close to being non-characters for me, as much as a new Substitute Freedom Fighter ensemble. I don't understand why this Metal Sonic is somehow alive for the cool factor alone, when someone like Kodos is still 99% dead by Ian's word despite the story that's dying to be told with him. If dead is not dead I want my damn lion-berserker. And Crocbot because he was cool before he became a speaking torso for a hundred issues.

I wonder if you same guys enjoyed the Scourge arc which was filled with useless characters IMO.

I actually didn't. :/

I like Scourge in design terms being completely opposite of Sonic's design in terms of color scheme , I don't like how they went about doing it though. I remember specifically when he renamed himself to Scourge he made two jokes involving his name and I just had to roll my eyes.

Yeah, we get it, you're name is scourge.

I did like how they Incorporated Bean and Bark in the comic series to get the reader's more knowledgeable about these characters.

Don't mind me, just re-posting what Tylinos posted on Retro:

Some interesting things from editor Paul Kaminski:

Also, from Ian in response to some people discussing Possibly-Larry not looking like Larry:

It is a bit hard to see from that image, and for a while I was a kinda scared that those were new characters running alongside Silver. Although I wouldn't be upset over it, I prefer that they use old characters, which are recognizable to some, and allow some character development for them that would benefit rather than cram up the series. As for Silver, I do like him in the comics, but I wasn't expecting to see him again, although the talk about making the "secret freedom fighters" had me excited to see what Ian was planning. (I actually forgot about SU for a moment, would make sense that they'd use an arc to really flesh it out.)

It would be cool for Jules to be there =D and I can think of a number of reasons why he'd want to join in, but the robot doesn't look much like him, so I'll just wait when it comes out xD

You can't blame some for how they feel. I mean being a long time fan myself, I don't like seeing her that way either. But as much I as I hate to say it, this is not the first time the hero of the comic has to fight their beloved. I mean do you really want a list of similar situations.

As far as the new SU Arc goes, it along with the SU that follows after seems to be climaxing with the Same big even that will occur in the main comic. Meaning between SU issues 49-50 & STH Issues 246-247, we will probably get some kind resolution to this whole arc for the time.

Hopefully the resloution will be one with Sally restored in some way.

Edited by bwrosas
  • Thumbs Up 1

@bwrosas

We get it. You don't like seeing Sally roboticized. Stop bringing it up. You're being a Debbie Downer.

If the story is making you this upset then you should stop following the comics.

Oh yeah I forgot that you said you were standing in the middle. smile.png

• Thumbs Up 7

I,for one, fucking love Sally roboticized. It fits her character like a glove.

Speaking of which, another damn Silver arc? Where the fuck is my Mighty arc? Or even better, where is my Bean arc? ALL OF MY MONEY!

Edited by turbojet
  • Thumbs Up 2

There's always the possibility that the Secret Freedom Fighters will recruit Mighty and Ray.

Okay, so it's probably not very likely, but weirder things have happened.

(A Bean arc would likely be the best thing in the series ever.)

Scott Shaw has the copyrights to his work on the Sonic series.

Penders Case: Scott Shaw Claims Copyright to his Archie Sonic Work

Affidavit: “I am the owner of the works I created for the Sonic the Hedgehog series”

While we wait on a decision for Archie’s Motion for Summary Judgment in the case surrounding Ken Penders’s work on the Sonic series, we wanted to bring your attention to an affidavit the Penders defense team filed as part of an opposition to that motion.

It is from Scott Shaw, and it is one of the few that was not under a protective order when we obtained it through public record. According to the affidavit signed by him, not only was he the first artist to work on the Sonic comics, he was also not subject to a work for hire agreement by any of his editors.

Shaw says in the affidavit that he contributed a total of 29 works to the Sonic series, and not once did editors Daryl Edelman, Justin Garbie, or Victor Gorelick issue a work for hire document for him to sign.

“I was never issued any work-for-hire documents of any kind for any of the works I submitted at any time to ACP,” reads a part of Shaw’s affidavit. “I never signed any work-for-hire documents of any kind for any of the works I submitted at any time to ACP.”

Later in the affidavit, Shaw says all of his works are also registered with the US Copyright Office, and, in his last paragraph, “I am the owner of the works I created for the SONIC THE HEDGEHOG series.”

Shaw’s affidavit is not the only one Penders’s legal team submitted in its opposition. Another, from Elliot S. Maggin, says when he submitted and script for the first issue of Archie’s Super Teens series, was not aware the script was considered a work-for-hire, never signed a contract with Archie Comics, and according to the last paragraph of his signed affidavit, is “the copyright holder of the script I wrote for Super-Teens #1 and this is the condition that normally obtains under these circumstances in the comic book industry.”

What may also strengthen Penders’s defense could also cause more problems for Archie down the road. If indeed there are rights outstanding from past writers, should they come forward with claims, it will not be the end of Archie’s legal troubles, regardless of what happens with the Penders case.

We will let you know as soon as we have word of the decision on the motion for summary judgment.

Source: http://www.tssznews....hie-sonic-work/

What works did he create exactly?

Scott did some of the artwork in the original 4 issue Sonic mini-series, and he did the first cover of the on-going series. He also did a two page back-up story in the "Sonic in your face" 48 page special. Edited by Vampfox

GBS Latest Take on The Sally Hate (Brings up some good points)

Let's Talk

by ~gameboysage

Fan Art / Anthro / Digital / Games ©2012 ~gameboysage

We all know there is a lot of Sally hatred out there, even after she made the ultimate sacrifice and gave up her free will and body to save the entire world. One thing I notice is that a lot of the time people that try to defend Sally often show her as crying or angry, when in truth the Sally we all know and love would meet this kind of hatred in only one way. With a clear and calm mind, and to talk to these people like the diplomat that she is. Whether the people she talks to would be willing to talk about facts and logic or just stick to their blind hatred though, is entirely up to them.

I could see being indifferent to Sally or having no really caring about her, but to flat out hate her and want her gone for good? I mean this is a strong feminine roll model we have here that honestly cares about her people and is willing to get her hands dirty to save the day, how can you flat out hate someone like this so badly that you want her dead?

Bellow is a little list of why I think Sally doesn't deserve the hatred she's been getting for so long now, a lot of which was said in my Derpy/Sally art, with some new material added into it.

Now I've heard quite a few reasons for hating Sally, many of them double standard nonsense and others being entirely unfair. The easiest one to disprove is the way she dresses. Why do people follow the belief that male Mobians can be naked while females have to be fully clothed? Cause they have curves? Seems kinda pointless since they have fur so you see nothing extra then what you'd see from a lady wearing a leotard...or are you saying the female body is something to be ashamed of?

As far as how she's drawn in the comic, most of the time she's drawn in a chibi form and only every so often does she take a more human form. Either way, isn't that something to hate the artist for instead of Sally? Why hate her because of how someone chooses to draw her? Why hate a character because of how people choose to draw fan art of her? Wouldn't you have to hate almost every single female character in any franchise ever if that was the case? If she was male this wouldn't even remotely be an issue to even talk about. Don't bother bringing up that it's cause the males have animal shapes while females have curves, there are plenty of male characters without clothes that have rather human looking forms, try looking up Drago for one.

I even have a suspicion that the entire Mecha-Sally arc is one very long reason to have Sally start wearing full body clothing when she gets turned back to normal. I mean Robotnik alters her body and now it's covered in all blue instead of her fur coloring? It's pretty obvious that just like when Bunny had a leotard and a belt on when she was de-roboticized, Sally will also be wearing full body clothing when she gets turned back to normal. I hate the idea of Archie falling to peer pressure that makes no sense, but it's quite likely that by 250 we'll have a Sally with a new design that is fully covered -.- (although why she'd want to wear the clothes she had on due to being Mecha Sally, I don't know).

Another reason people pick on Sally is how a handful of the male characters seem attracted to her. So, why is that a problem again? Exactly how many female characters are attracted to Sonic? Doesn't he have a ton of people attracted to him as well? Why must Sally be singled out for this? Let's also not forget that virtually anyone besides Sonic that liked her is currently in or was in a relationship with someone else. None of the love interests are pining for Sally and waiting in the shadows to strike, they've started their own relationships with other people.

Another way to think about it, is would it be more preferred to have Sonic and Sally fall in love for life right away on day one, or to date other people and find out after time that they truly are made for each other? The later seems more realistic to me.

On the same line, people hate her for the simple fact that she's trying to date Sonic, when some claim he only belongs to Amy or that Sonic shouldn't date at all. Amy didn't even exist in the SatAM show and that's what the comic is based on. This is also not the video game Sonic but another one entirely, an alternate dimension if you will. Why are you trying to demand that this Sonic be stuck to the same constraints as the video games when even SEGA themselves want the video games and Archie comic to be separated entirely?

Plus let's not forget the rather awesome paring of Han Solo and Leia Organa from the Star Wars series. It's amazingly similar to Sonic and Sally paring up and proves that a freedom loving rascal and a battle princess can hook up and have a very loving and fun relationship for years to come.

Going back to the whole Amy thing though...Sally was around and a potential love interest for Sonic before Amy was even released in a game to be played. Sonic the Hedgehog Issue #0 came out around March 1993 while the game Amy came from was out closer to September 1993. Not only that, but the comic hinted to Sonic and Sally having feelings for each other while the game made it very clear that Sonic had no feelings for Amy at all (plus she's technically the same age as Tails). Long story short, SEGA themselves said Sonic and Amy will never become a couple, why so hate Sally for dating him, when Amy never had a chance to begin with?

A third reason and the last I'll bring up is the Sally slap that occurred in 134, which I believe is the main reason for why so many people hate Sally in the first place and then struggled to find other reasons to hate her after. For starters, she was ridiculously out of character in that comic and the next few issues after while Bollers was the writer in charge. None of the other writers had Sally act like this so it's safe to assume that Sally wasn't herself in those issues and was acting like someone else entirely. It's quite similar to when someone writes a mini series for Marvel or DC and turns Batman into a murderous psycho or Superman into a depressed emo due to losing his powers. Do you hate them forever now because of how they acted in those few issues, or do you go based on their true personality that you know is how they really are like?

If you want even more to think about, what about Fiona, Tails and Mina? Fiona had a breakdown and turned completely evil for very little reason and people still support her, even though she's still a jerk and evil today. Tails had a breakdown, broke the law and broke his father out of jail and came to blows with Sonic physically all because Sonic was dating the girl that looked like the older version of a robot he once dated for a day when he was younger. People still supported Tails during all of that. Heck, Mina had a breakdown and created a hate song and is indirectly responsible for allowing Naugus to take over the kingdom so very easily, all because she didn't talk to Sonic and Sally before creating that song...yet people still support Mina.

What about Sally? She had to go an entire year thinking Sonic was dead and living with the fact that that she would never see her beloved ever again. One year goes by and he suddenly shows up and as soon as she thinks he's back in her life, she sees him getting beaten up and about to get killed again in front of her. Is it safe to say this would case her to have a mental breakdown and say and do things she doesn't necessarily mean? Even for a good chunk of time after the slap where she acts like a jerk to Sonic due to fearing going through the same pain all over again? You bet! Why is it that when other characters do stupid things everyone defends them, but Sally does something stupid and suddenly she's to be hated for life?

Why hate the character when it's the writer that makes them do the stupid things? Sally is a good person that has lived her life trying to bring peace and happiness to her people, that while having good points is a believable person and has her own weaknesses, how can you hate a character like that? Even after Penders and even Flynn turned Sally back to normal people continued to struggle to find reasons to hate her...I just don't get that. It's quite easy to see what Sally's actual personality is, even if she has a breakdown from time to time. I mean come on guys, she just gave up her body and soul to save the world, you don't have the "selfish" card to play anymore at all either.

Don't hate the character, hate the writer that ruined the character.

http://gameboysage.d...-Talk-291489902

Edited by bwrosas
  • Thumbs Up 1

...Who's Gameboysage?

More importantly: why should we care about what s/he says?