Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I assumed the creepy Nike smile was some sort of strange Sonic Heroes reference, considering the arc it's a part of is called "Heroes" as well, right?

Anyways, did someone check the preview topic on bumbleking and see what ian has to say about that 239 cover? its pretty lazy ever if its a greg horn retrace.

He hasn't said anything on it. Dub has though, and he said that these 'SEGA variants' are one of just a few planned, with different other ideas as well.

I menctioned this 2 pages ago and chaoscontrol14 even linked a picture to it. No respect I tell ya...

Anyways, did someone check the preview topic on bumbleking and see what ian has to say about that 239 cover? its pretty lazy ever if its a greg horn retrace.

I gave you a like. Does that count as respect :P

You gotta give the cover artist some credit through. He made that cover look like freaking CG model, that takes some insane skill their. Maybe if he didn't try to make it look excatly like the Generations art (minus that smirk)and a more original pose, it wouldn't be so bad.

Spaz was the only other artist to actually color drawings to look neer CG-ish.

Well, in any case, I know what's gonna end up in Bad Sonic comic art Tumblr.

I wouldn't say he deserves that much credit though when you consider he's tracing over a 3D model already so all the correct lighting and tone is already in place for him to replicate. Whenever Spaz tries to fake 3D, he does it from scratch with his own artwork.

Sonic-Generations-Artwork-2.png

All he's done with the lighting is just ramped up the contrast in his own version, which makes it look a lot less 3D. The shadows are much darker and the highlights are much brighter. Oh and he's changed the angle on Sonic's stomach patch thing to.

Edited by ENVY

Wow, that #239 cover, just... ouch. Oh god. D:

That's... actually pretty damn disappointing, seeing as how Archie have generally upped their game lately. I'd have fully expected that kind of crap from them five or six years ago, but geezus that's seven shades of fugly.

That Hereos grin is just... ew. Although it looked terrible even on the actual official artwork to begin with anyway, which makes it seem even stranger than someone would willingly try to replicate it.

Hey, well never judge a book by its cover, eh?

Not judging the issue :P Just judging the cover as it's own entity.

*Sees #239's cover*

*Hopes it's just a variant*

*Finds out it's not*

Excuse me while I go cry in the corner.

Edited by DarkLightDragon

Good god they took the Heroes render and fused it with the Generations render, absolutely hideous.

Oh. my. non. existant. god.

People get the fuck over it! It's a comic cover for arse-sake. Heroes wasn't a bad game, and they're just replicating a art style that was used a few years ago. Geez.

Even though they're CGI renders and I'd much rather see a nice handdrawn cover (like Spaz's) I still like these covers waaay more than say the Sonic Universe Tracey Yardley one.

Oh. my. non. existant. god.

People get the fuck over it! It's a comic cover for arse-sake. Heroes wasn't a bad game, and they're just replicating a art style that was used a few years ago. Geez.

Even though they're CGI renders and I'd much rather see a nice handdrawn cover (like Spaz's) I still like these covers waaay more than say the Sonic Universe Tracey Yardley one.

• Thumbs Up 4

Still he is right, you guys are getting into a hissy fit over a retrace by an artist who doesn't even work on the comics normally. hes an honored guest with a respectable carrer in Marvel Comics, Hell I'm sure Archie just said "Do whatever you want its just an honor to have your presence" to Greg.

Don't let it bug you soo much, its just a once in a while thing. Same with the variant, that cover for universe is just for non-comic fans who are familiar with the games more. I know the SHTH 157 cover caught my eye once back when I wasn't a fan of the comic.

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 3

Still he is right, you guys are getting into a hissy fit over a retrace by an artist who doesn't even work on the comics normally. hes an honored guest with a respectable carrier in Marvel Comics, Hell I'm sure Archie just said "Do whatever you want its just an honor to have your presence" to Greg.

Don't let it bug you soo much, its just a once in a while thing. Same with the variant, that cover for universe is just for non-comic fans who are familiar with the games more. I know the SHTH 157 cover caught my eye once back when I wasn't a fan of the comic.

Ok, who says we're talking about it too much? If we want to criticize it, we can criticize it, don't like it, well that's too bad.

Are we not allowed to comment on it? God, whenever somebody makes a criticism in this topic you get all fucking PMSing, its really annoying.

Because people dedicating a page to bitching about a cover isn't annoying either.

I don't oppose critisism, if it's justified, but the way some of you people are carrying one "Ohh nooo the nike smile!" "Heroes was shit, why would they make that again?" F$%^ing hideous cover" in a manner as if the comic raped their childhood or something. It's a little over the top when this is supposed to be a topic about discussing the comic.

If I decided to bitch so much about shitty covers there'd be a rant for the past few years as I don't appreciate Yardleys art at all.

Still he is right, you guys are getting into a hissy fit over a retrace by an artist who doesn't even work on the comics normally. hes an honored guest with a respectable carrier in Marvel Comics, Hell I'm sure Archie just said "Do whatever you want its just an honor to have your presence" to Greg.

Thank you. Someone gets it.

That being said even though I don't mind the 3D CGI looking covers I still prefer something more like a comic book cover. The 3D covers seem more like a game advertisement or game cover, at least the comics covers usually give some indication as to what will happen in the issue, although recently that doesn't seem to be the case it seems.

Anyone else disappointed that the last Universe cover seemed as though we were in for an epic robot battle between E123 Omega, Metal Sonic and Metal Sally, but that ended up lasting all of what...two panels? Pretty big of a let down.

Still I have to hand it to Ian, the stuff he includes (like Hopes "Fire Shield", the Titan Metal Sonic from Knux Chaotix, Metal Knuckles etc) really makes a dedicated Sonic fan squeal with little easter eggs of things. I still can't wait to see what eventuates from the whole Tails Doll set-up. I'm hoping it's big!

Ok, who says we're talking about it too much? If we want to criticize it, we can criticize it, don't like it, well that's too bad.

Fucks up with you?

Ever since the covers were released we've been talking about #239 almost non-stop and its been mostly of "Hurrr its lazy" posts. All I'm saying is to not let it bug you even if its just a retrace, its meant to appeal to non-comic fans much like how #230 had a generations variant.

But you seem to be taking it personal. Whatevers got you knotted up don't take it out on us.

Edited by goku262002

Ok then Master Board, here's why I'm going to complain about this cover.

Greg Horn is not a bad artist. He does some pretty good pin-ups. However, give him Sonic or Mega Man, and he traces official art and does odd painting.

That can only tell me two things. One- he doesn't care for what he's drawing for, as it's not tits, and therefore just goes with the easy solution; and Archie is insecure enough of its product that they go for any big name from Marvel or DC that's available.

Or maybe I'm wrong, maybe Greg Horn really gave it his all in this cover, and in that case he's a talentless hack. So I rather believe he did it for a quick buck.

It's a terrible cover, and you're defending it because you want to antagonize anyone who says anything bad about the comic.

But the story at least sounds good, the Tracy Yardley cover looks good as well, and Ben Bates' cover makes Mobius XX Years Later seem readable.

Explain I don't get what you mean.

I'm guessing he's upset that Eggman isn't treating Mecha Sally as a standard disposable mook. Though as someone else stated, using her at the forefront of his armies is probably the smartest thing he's done in a long time. It's a constant reminder to the good guys that they dun goof'd, and a good way to quickly kill any morale they had built up.

It's all about that psych warfare XD

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes the cover is bad, but we're not really here to read the cover. I quite like Universe's one though, makes Elias look really classy.

The one thing I really dislike is the idea of SSSM 4 being 25 years later. They just released the 30 years later book with a part of 25 years later in it, and now they're doing 25 years later with 30 years later attached to it (Silver's on the cover so I guess it'll be included.) Not that it wasn't bad (Though Lara Su is the most hyped up thing since The Dark Knight) but it just seems a bit soon.

So has anyone noticed we have a "Team Freedom" and a "Team Fighters"? I'm guessing Sonic, Tails and Amy are one of the teams but who is the other?

"Heroes was shit, why would they make that again?"

Because people dedicating a page to bitching about a cover isn't annoying either.

I don't oppose critisism, if it's justified, but the way some of you people are carrying one "Ohh nooo the nike smile!" "Heroes was shit, why would they make that again?" F$%^ing hideous cover" in a manner as if the comic raped their childhood or something. It's a little over the top when this is supposed to be a topic about discussing the comic.

Could it be after this seeming break-up of the FFs, the only ones still fighting for New Mobo are Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails, creating Team Sonic for the first time in the comic? Well minus the time Tails fought Mogul with a cape on.

Edited by Badnikz

Sonic, Tails and Amy are seen on the cover of #237 and #238, so they're obvious one of the teams. I honestly don't know if Knuckles will be involved, given #232.