Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I'm sure it will be an inconsequential one off story thing.

I wouldn't say just a one-shot--I'm expecting a miniseries. But yes, it will probably affect neither series. And that's fine.

Huzzah! Now I can finally see this:

Megaman_and_Sonic_by_supersegasonic.jpg

In Archie style goodness!

Thankfully, Spaz already made a better version of this some time ago.

SM_Spaz_Lea.jpg

Now you can just link this version instead so that we can forget about that horrifying one above forever.

I honestly can't wait so see what's in store for this. It would probably be revealed at this year's comic-con we would only have about a week to wait for a preview.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hopefully this is just a one issue thing that won't slow down the stories of both Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Universe down and can be ignored by people like myself who don't like crossovers.

Official announcement for the crossover!

worldscollide.jpg

The official title is Sonic & Mega Man: When Worlds Collide. Also, holy crap, is this gonna be one MASSIVE event. It's a whopping TWELVE parts in all and will take up FOUR whole issues of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe, and Mega Man!

Holy crap, this sounds awesome! I can't wait to hear more about it, because I've been waiting for this team-up since Archie first announced their Mega Man comic! biggrin.png

Edited by chaoscontrol14

Update on the Archie vs Penders case.

Oral Arguments Forthcoming in Archie v. Penders Motion

Defense Requests Delay, But Doesn’t Get Much

It’s been a while since we’ve seen or heard much in the ongoing legal dispute between Archie Comics and Ken Penders. But on Monday, a single letter surfaced in the electronic public record. It was a letter from a member of Penders’s defense team seeking an adjournment to arguments apparently scheduled in court next week concerning both sides’ motion for summary judgment.

To refresh your memory, both sides are now seeking judgment in favor of their side, without having to endure a full trial. For Penders, that judgment ideally would affirm his ownership of several storylines and characters from his tenure on the Sonic comics that he later copyrighted. For Archie, it would be a declaration those materials belong to the company as a result of Penders’s work for hire agreement.

The hearing was set for Monday morning at 10:30AM. But a counselor for defendant Penders, Phillip Daman, Esq. wrote to judge Richard Berman, who is presiding over the case. Daman requested an adjournment, or a delay in that hearing, to early August due to “a site inspection in Los Angeles in another matter early that morning and then depart on a previously scheduled vacation later that afternoon for the remainder of the week,” according to the letter.

Daman did note in his letter that attorneys for Archie Comics had consented to an adjournment. But Judge Berman did not appear easily influenced. An adjournment was granted by him, but only to 2:30PM the original scheduled day of arguments, July 16th. Each side will be granted five minutes to state their case.

The bottom line: From this development, we could learn a lot more about where this case is going–if not the outcome itself–by late next Monday. The impact of such a short adjournment remains to be seen, but if one of Penders’s attorneys is not present for arguments, it could have an impact on his defense. If we learn anything more, we will pass it along.

You know what's always bugged me about this comic? Characters have a tendency to just plain old vanish, sometimes for a years at a time. It's especially annoying when the last time they appeared, they were doing something kind of important.

Where is Shadow, Dimitri, King Max and the rest of the Echidnas?

Where is Shadow, Dimitri, King Max and the rest of the Echidnas?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I think it's sad that King Max went crazy; in the beginning of the comics (relatively speaking), he was supposed to be this epic character, and then he just falls apart...

But then I remember he treated Sonic like garbage. Which is ridiculous, given he put himself in so many situations to save the city and the king. I really hate the politics of the comic world right now.

I think it's sad that King Max went crazy; in the beginning of the comics (relatively speaking), he was supposed to be this epic character, and then he just falls apart...

But then I remember he treated Sonic like garbage. Which is ridiculous, given he put himself in so many situations to save the city and the king. I really hate the politics of the comic world right now.

I know he was so great in the early comics but then Patch (Anti Antoine) poisened him that's when his charecter started going downhill.

Although he is kinda to blame for the Ixis incident because he put way too much faith in St.John and allowed him to get close to the emerald.

As Who had pointed out in a previous issue, Max's entire reign has been bad decision after bad decision. Sally must marry Antione, the Freedom Fighters must disband, treat our best asset against Eggman like trash. Even after he starts losing his mind he still has "hate Sonic" programmed in his brain as he smirks at the thought of Sonic becoming a casulity. I feel less sorry that he's lost his mind and more grateful than Ian is now making it clear that this man is crazy.

• Thumbs Up 1

See, that's why I prefer the SatAM incarnation of the King. He actually respected Sonic and seemed like a kind father, whereas Max always seemed so strict. Doesn't help that he's going senile now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wasn't it Haven he was going back to? I don't think that's in Albion.

It was? I figured he was going to be helping his people, and since the echidna's were in Albion I thought that's where I recall Knuckles telling him to go.

As Who had pointed out in a previous issue, Max's entire reign has been bad decision after bad decision. Sally must marry Antione, the Freedom Fighters must disband, treat our best asset against Eggman like trash. Even after he starts losing his mind he still has "hate Sonic" programmed in his brain as he smirks at the thought of Sonic becoming a casulity. I feel less sorry that he's lost his mind and more grateful than Ian is now making it clear that this man is crazy.

I've always looked at it like this, King Max is Very Old School, in the fact that he believes Royality should rule and make the decsions and the characters like Sonic, and his daughter shouldn't be involved, since is his mind, they are still kids.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really thought the comic would allow Elias to stay away from the kingdom and live happily, because Sally was the only one who truly DESERVED the crown, and now, she will never have it...

Because even if, hypothetically speaking, Sally gets deroboticized, there's no way the citizens of New Mobotropolis would allow her to rule; they didn't even trust Nicole, and Sally, the only consistent leader, is a bad guy.

So, yeah, really disappointing. I kinda liked Mobius : XX Years Later, but I think that future doesn't exist anymore.

It was? I figured he was going to be helping his people, and since the echidna's were in Albion I thought that's where I recall Knuckles telling him to go.

Nah, he told Dimitri to fix Haven specifically. Likely wants the base back in operation for when (IF) Knux can get the Brotherhood back.

I really thought the comic would allow Elias to stay away from the kingdom and live happily, because Sally was the only one who truly DESERVED the crown, and now, she will never have it...

Because even if, hypothetically speaking, Sally gets deroboticized, there's no way the citizens of New Mobotropolis would allow her to rule; they didn't even trust Nicole, and Sally, the only consistent leader, is a bad guy.

So, yeah, really disappointing. I kinda liked Mobius : XX Years Later, but I think that future doesn't exist anymore.

A couple of points here;

1. Ian has ALWAYS said that M:XYL was a future, not necessarily THE future. It was always open to discontinuity.

2. Honestly? If the citizens treat Sally like they are NICOLE. they'll officially be morons. NICOLE is an AI, so the fear of basically having a machine which can be turned against them through hacking any time is a legit one. Sally, in flesh and blood form, is not someone who can be hacked, and roboticisation can happen to anyone (well, it can't because of stuff, but you get what I mean). Singling Sally out for it is idiotic beyond compare.

I know the Legionised folk in the Sandblaster region have a hard time (and had a hard time as Robians too) because of discrimination, but that's because their FFs are vindictive and quite horrible.

Edited by VEDJ-F

Now that I think about it Max can be described as a sociopath because he always puts his rule before his family, As long as he gets what he wants nothing else matters he doesn't even care if Sonic dies it's kind of like picking your most prized trophy over your freinds and family

2. Honestly? If the citizens treat Sally like they are NICOLE. they'll officially be morons. NICOLE is an AI, so the fear of basically having a machine which can be turned against them through hacking any time is a legit one. Sally, in flesh and blood form, is not someone who can be hacked, and roboticisation can happen to anyone (well, it can't because of stuff, but you get what I mean). Singling Sally out for it is idiotic beyond compare.

Now that I think about it Max can be described as a sociopath because he always puts his rule before his family, As long as he gets what he wants nothing else matters he doesn't even care if Sonic dies it's kind of like picking your most prized trophy over your freinds and family

I wouldn't go that far.

Its pretty obvious that King Max's mental capacity has had a steady decline, but for the most part his decision making has been more or less justified. Even if he came across as a colossal jerk in doing so, he had positive intentions behind Sally's forced marriage and his indifference to Sonic's well being.

King Max's decisions often make him out to be the "bad guy" or "completely off his rocker" but to be honest, if you look at the situation from his perspective, he's just doing what is necessary to maintain a stable monarchy. Its not the popular choice to make, but that is what must be expected of a man who sits on the throne. Sometimes you gotta make the hard choices, and Max has done that quite a few times.

I wouldn't go that far.

Its pretty obvious that King Max's mental capacity has had a steady decline, but for the most part his decision making has been more or less justified. Even if he came across as a colossal jerk in doing so, he had positive intentions behind Sally's forced marriage and his indifference to Sonic's well being.

King Max's decisions often make him out to be the "bad guy" or "completely off his rocker" but to be honest, if you look at the situation from his perspective, he's just doing what is necessary to maintain a stable monarchy. Its not the popular choice to make, but that is what must be expected of a man who sits on the throne. Sometimes you gotta make the hard choices, and Max has done that quite a few times.

True he is trying to help in his own way even though his way of doing things have been dangerous for the kingdom. Another thing I noticed when reading past issues that he might be secretly trying to tack back the throne from his son but this just a fan theory of mine.

http://anti-archie-s...sucks-314085429 Written by

OK, I'm doing this again. Why? Why the hell not? I like ranting, people like reading rants, since they can be entertaining, so yeah, I'm going to go nuts.

First topic: Milestones.

I'm going to say it now. I hate milestone issues. I don't mind them for the actual anniversaries, like Genesis being used to celebrate Sonic's 20th birthday, but in terms of having major events always happening every 25 issues, it's normally a case of another shock value story on the 5s, and Sonic curb stomping Robotnik as in any other issue on the 0s. As such, they become predictable and boring.

One of the things I love about SatFF is that due to the way we write, we can't do milestones, since if we tried, they'd probably end up being in the wrong part. It means that the plot progresses in a logical fashion, and the characters aren't just waiting for no good reason to act.

This was one of the problems that appeared in the Captain N TV show. The powers that Kevin had been given meant that he could have killed Mother Brain (Yes, that Mother Brain, for those that don't know) any time he wanted, warping in, stopping time, and shooting the bitch, and he even tried several times, but they had to stall it out so the show could keep running. The problem that we have is that the hero is holding off on acting so that major events don't happen too early.

For example, as pointed out, Sonic could have captured Mecha Sally by now. In fact, the moment he got thrown off the Death Egg, any other version of Sonic, be it SEGA, STC, SatAM, AoSTH, or even everyone's favorite cardboard cutout, Sonic X, would have grabbed one of the FF air boards and flown back up to rescue her. But no, Tails and Amy suddenly became blubbering wrecks, so he had to stop and take care of the. And then what? Oh yeah, he had to go and watch Geoff's trial. More on that later.

This is called padding, and this comic has a lot of it.

It happens again in 238. Sonic could easily save everyone, but Tails lets Mecha Sally go because someone might get hurt during the launch of the Death Egg. In other words: Tails lets Mecha Sally go because if he didn't the plot would be resolved. Oh, and I'd like to point out that this is the same robot that had no trouble with Omega, yet she can't beat Sonic or Tails. Guess that plot amour is really strong stuff.

What does this have to do with milestones? Well, it's been long suspected that Sally would be staying as she is until 250, in other words, 20 issues as a robot. Look, when we complained that Iron Nicole wasn't around long enough, this isn't what we meant, Flynn. Six issues would have been fine. Indeed, most arcs in this comic are six issues, and this is a perfectly reasonable length for one. And the last time he tried to do a big, long arc, a lot of fans started to call bullshit. And look, it's another big, long arc, and many more fans are starting to call bullshit. The obvious solution is this: Don't do long arcs, we just start to bitch about them.

In fact, the arc that Flynn is clearly trying to top, Endgame (In other words, Ken Penders at his best), was only four issues long. And yet, people remember it even now. It raised the stakes, things looked bad for Sonic, things looked really bad for Sally, and Robotnik died. And it was awesome.

However, Flynn seemed to be trying to stretch Mecha Sally's arc out to 250. However, as said, the shock value of Mecha Sally has worn off. You see, due to the 'world tour' crap going on at the moment (The FF World Tour arc in SSZ was much better), a lot of old supporting characters are encountering Mecha Sally. And every time it happens, they are shocked. In fact, Mecha Sally is a two-trick horse.

Trick 1: She shows herself to a supporting character, and they are shocked.

Trick 2: She claims that Sonic, Tails, and Amy will not attack her because she is in the body of their friend, and is then shocked when they attack her anyway.

Both of these have gotten old already, and the idea of seeing them stretch out to 250 is painful. This arc is already suffering from Seasonal Rot more than the Johto and Sinnoh arcs of the Pokemon Anime did.

Thankfully it doesn't seem like that will happen. Why? Well, first, the big milestone event for 250 is... a crossover with Megaman. Considering that it's Capcom's character, I'm expecting Megaman's half to be canceled, or the comic to have unnecessary levels of DLC. Joking aside, something like Sally's deroboticization is going to be a major plot point, so will probably have an issue to itself.

Evidence seems to suggest that this will be coming in or around 242. This would make it a full year since her roboticization. Now, Mecha Sally's next mission is to kill her brother, who is part of the Secret Freedom Fighters (Who seem to be wearing really conspicuous glow-in-the-dark uniforms, nice job at being secret, guys), who are chasing Naugus. You know, the same guy who can turn Bunnie's completely mechanical limbs, which are filled with weapon parts into perfectly ordinary organic ones? So let's see about this.

I'm guessing that the Secret FF arc will end on a cliffhanger, with Mecha Sally arriving to kill Elias. The ensuing fight will happen in the main comic, because that's where it should be. During the fight, Mecha Sally will be hit by Naugus' powers of plot convenience, and reverted to normal, just like I said back in State of the Sonic Comics. And if that doesn't happen, she will at least be freed from Robotnik's control.

Second topic: Sonic is a Dick.

OK, so my friend has said that he hates the STC version of Sonic, because the STC version of Sonic is a dick. This is true, but it is actually explained that STC Sonic is a dick because he doesn't take emotional stuff well, and responds to such things as Porker leaving the FF by getting pissed off, because he doesn't know how to express his opinion otherwise. And seriously, the guy has SuperSonic in his head, cut him some slack.

So yeah, STC Sonic is a prick, but Archie Sonic is, in my opinion, even worse.

For example, in issue 178, he catches Rosemary breaking Amadeus out of jail, and tells them that, despite them being Tails' parents, whom the kid has been longing to rescue since forever, that Tails will take his side because Sonic means more to him, What a prick. Thankfully, as he says this, Tails is right behind him, and proceeds to punch the douchebag in the face.

But the dethroning moment of suck hits in Geoff's trial. Geoff's trial is a joke anyway. What was Kranix's line from Transformers?

"Spare me this mockery of justice!"

Yeah, that's the one. You see, Geoff is being tried for betraying the king and putting a maniacal villain in power... by the same maniacal villain that he just put in power. You can see where this is going.

In any case, at one point, Geoff recounts his version of the events surrounding Hershey's disappearance (Flynn has effectively confirmed that he intends to bring her back, so credit where it's due), and breaks down as he tells the story of what he thinks is his wife's death. Pretty sad moment, right? Anyone with a heart would feel sorry for him, right? Right. But not Sonic the Hedgehog. The moment Geoff is given the guilty verdict (And is pardoned seconds later, told you nothing would come of it), he stands up and starts cheering. Congratulations, Flynn, you just made me want to kick the hero in the balls! If anything, considering the recent events on the Death Egg, Sonic should feel sympathy for Geoff, considering Sally's current state. But no, Sonic is apparently an unfeeling douchebag.

Seriously, they made STC Sonic look like a boy scout.

Third topic: Hypocrisy everywhere!

I've managed to work out why Flynn fans don't mind all the hypocritical bullshit in the comic. It's because they themselves say hypocritical things a lot. Mainly praising Flynn for doing the same things that they ranted at Penders and Bollers for doing.

For example, many of them complained about the Sonic/Fiona/Tails love triangle, yet praised the Sonic/Sally/Ken love triangle, despite the fact that yes, at the time, Sonic was a player, and yes, it's established that Tails loved Fiona, whereas, as one of my fellow ranters said, to make Flynn's love triangle work, he had to turn Ken into a "Prince Charming-styled lump of pudding", which is without a doubt the best way I've heard anyone describe Ken since "Arrogant douchebag".

Fourth topic: Why don't you just shoot him?

Seriously, the end of this arc will make no logical sense. Why? Because the Freedom Fighters will let Eggman live. They are contractually obligated to do so. Let's face it, what happened to him in Redemption and Revenge was what anyone with any sense would do. He's crossed the line, and the only smart thing to do is to kill him. This is the point where I will say that they should have kept Eggman as an entity hopping between mechanical bodies. That way, Sonic and co could actually kill him, and he could still come back. The Freedom Fighters have no reason to show him mercy, and yet, I know they will.

Fifth topic: Fiona Fox, and why she is a terrible villain.

Oh yeah, that's right, I'm going there. Again. I'm going to say this: Fiona is to Flynn what Sally was to Bollers. A character that they obviously do not like, and so will be dragged down into the mud to make everyone else dislike her too.

Multiple people have already said this, but Fiona's heel turn wasn't convincing. In fact, the slap was added in as a physical way of saying "This character is evil, and you should hate her", because without it, it would seem that Fiona was tricking Scourge, and pretending to go evil Hell, even with the slap, that idea could still work. Simply say that she did it so that Tails would not follow her and screw up her chances at beating Scourge.

See, even with the slap, it's painfully easy to twist it into a situation where she's still a heroine. That's one of the reasons why it's often the backbone of my stories. It works, it allows me to write crowning moments of heartwarming, everyone seems to enjoy it, and it's easy, and quite honestly, I'm a lazy bastard. Writing a heel face turn should take time and development, and while I do normally make it develop, I can make it happen in the space of two seconds.

Fiona's motives are confusing. Or rather, her lack of a solid motive. The main reason she gave was that she was still sore over being abandoned. You know, despite forgiving him in an earlier issue, and often making out with him since 155. Also, if she's walking out on Sonic over a lack of trust, then why is she going to A) another version of the man she apparently does not trust, who is cool.png formally known as EVIL Sonic, and now known as Scourge, and C) has a track record of being a lying, cheating bastard, who is completely D) UNTRUSTWORTHY!?

On top of that, she has done a terrible job at being a villain. The one time that she doesn't have Scourge helping her, she has to go to Sonic for help. And no, Breakout doesn't count. It's not hard to get arrested. Hell, considering that she left her entire zone and helped Scourge invade it, then she's probably already on the Zone Cops' list of targets. People say that she is more memorable as a villain, but she's completely ineffectual. On the other hand, as a Freedom Fighter, she was pretty successful.

Finally, we have her character arc since 172. She's not convincing as a villain, and we're being left hanging for a heel face turn. I'm going to list the arc to prove my point.

172: Unconvincing face heel turn.

Knuxerjak: Shown being both physically and verbally abused by Scourge.

Bold New Moebius: Self confidence destroyed by Sonic, realizes that she's screwed up. Points to next appearance being the heel turn.

SU15: Heel turn teased, doesn't happen, nothing but fanservice for Fiona haters.

Breakout: Most logical choice to be left behind, since she has no powers, doesn't happen, verbally abused by Scourge, shown forming a bond with her cellmate, proving that she is still not "evil", as opposed to Scourge being an ass to everyone.

The point is, we keep being teased about a heel face turn, and it's not happening. Flynn has even said in the letters page that it is possible for Fiona to turn good again. So, here we have a character who's fall to evil was unconvincing, is still unconvincing as a villain, who has no success as a villain, and her character arc points to her becoming a hero again, or at least an anti-hero, and yet Flynn is still writing her as a villain More valid reasons why Archie Sonic sucks

Edited by bwrosas

I must admit, I do think the comics have lost steam a little in the last couple of issues. From the 220s, through 225, Genesis and then 230-235, the comic was on a roll. Things were being shaken up, everything was going wrong, and it was genuinely interesting. 235 is still by far my favourite issue of the Archie comic to date, mainly because it felts like Silver showing up in the wrong place at the wrong time was adding insult to injury, kicking everyone when they were already at rock bottom and being the straw that broke the camel's back.

At the same time, the heroes have since got back on their feet; things are settling down into the new set-up, and it feels like a lot of the tension and plot coherence has deflated a little. The stories have gone back to rather episodic two-issue plots that I can't help feel a little bit throwaway. I guess it's Ian's way of extending the whole current arc, but it does seem almost like Eggman having an 'evil plan of the week' thing.

Not to say I think the comics are bad now, but it does feel like everything's settled back into normality and repetition a little too quickly, given the magnitude of everything that happened just a few issues ago. All of a sudden it feels like the story isn't really going anywhere at the moment, and we're just getting random two-parters that don't really contribute much to the overall plot. Maybe I'm being a bit too quick to judge on just a single arc, so I'll have to see how the next one goes.

You know folks, I have been thinking, that with what some of the fellow fans/subscribers have been saying about 238 and before that, it makes me curious to one thing, and that is a "What if?".

In others words, What if this whole situation with Mecha Sally, while at least since with her fight with Kahn or even before that, What if this is all a ruse pulled by her on Eggman. I mean think of it this way, let's say a certain blue emerald was some how fused with her during the robotization process and then add the addition of Kahn's ring crown, and you have the slight/50% chance that she could be playing Eggman to find out what his real plans are.

Now before you say anything, let me point this out, it's not the first time a lead female protagisint has gone undercover and made it look like she's gone bad/evil, even to the point that her friends would buy it as being very real (her fighting them, insulting them, etc...), just so she doesn't blow her cover. Well, if you have been living in cave or wandering the desert for the past 7 decades or so, you would see that it has occurred in all sorts of media. So this wouldn't be the first time, if that is the case.

Another reason, I want to bring this out, is because, from what cc14 described in their summary as her having a shocked expression on her face when Eggman gave her the order to assinate her bro, makes one think, doesn't it. I mean sure, she suggested to divide and conquer , but again What if that is all part of the ruse.

Also, look at it this way, Ian Flynn likes to bring back some characters and storyline/plots that we haven't seen or refenced in a long while, an example most recently, would be Harvey Who, who we haven't seen since, what, issue 16, waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back then. The point I'm trying to make is, who's to say he isn't doing that now with Sally.

I mean, remember waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back to the very first issues (original mini-series) when she had Rotor (Boomer then) create these special boots for her to wear, because she wanted to be robotized to learn more of how the robotizer (robot maker at the time) worked, so they could learn how to reverse the effects, accept that backfired because Sonic and the others didn't understand her plan, nor did she want them to know about it, or what about issue 29 with that ear piece Rotor made for her, so she could keep her free will even after robotiztion, even through the ear piece fell out, again causing the plan to backfire a bit.

Point I'm trying to make, is What if this is her best and only chance to finally find out Eggman's true intentions and plans. To me it would make sense, even if none of her family and friends and allies are aware of it till the time is right.

But I just want to get that out there and see what you think.

Good Night/Morning

Edited by bwrosas
  • Thumbs Up 1