Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

After a nearly five-year hiatus, I am reading the comics again! Been reading and collecting these since I was 6 (I'm 23 now, haha). Got my collection out of storage, bagged 'n' boarded them all, organized them and put them into longboxes, started up subscriptions to StH, SU, and SSS, went to comic shops all over collecting back issues from the last couple years of StH and SU to somewhat catch up on the story, steadily collecting the Archives, and looking to fill in all the gaps in my collection. Feels good to be back! Looking forward to discussing the comic with fellow fans.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I wish they could have pushed this massive crossover back to #251. Sonic needs to have a spectacular celebration issue.

*Still wishes that Eggman roboticize half of Mobius in this storyline*

Update on Archie vs Penders

No Summary Judgment Granted in Archie v. Penders Case

“Parties are directed to engage in good faith settlement discussions,” Among Other Advisement

Anything that wasn’t a summary judgment in Archie’s favor would have been good news for Ken Penders and his legal team Monday, as US District Judge Richard Berman heard both sides argue their case in the ongoing civil dispute over the validity of Penders’s copyrights.

That is exactly what the Penders defense got. Moreover, a court order obtained by TSSZ shows both parties’ motions for summary judgment were tossed by Berman, as well as both parties’ motions in limine, which attempted to limit evidence on both sides in the case.

First, here is why Penders and his defense team have reason to celebrate. Archie’s attempts to invalidate signed affidavits by Scott Shaw, Karl Bollers, Scott Fulop, and Mike Kanterovich for the case were for naught. You may remember us telling you about what they said a few months back. Judge Berman rules those affidavits are valid, as the trial, originally scheduled for January, was delayed:

Archie’s timeliness arguments are unpersuasive. Even assuming, [....] that Penders disclosed any witnesses late, no prejudice to Archie has resulted because the Court vacated the January 30, 2012 trial date [....] leaving Archie ample time to prepare any rebuttal.

[....]

The affidavits of Karl Bollers, Scott Shaw, Joshua Ray, Scott D. Fulop, Elliot S. Maggin, and Mike Kanterovich are relevant and admissible, even though they do not have personal knowledge of whether Penders signed the Agreements, because those affiants are freelance artists who previously worked for Archie and claim that Archie never required them to sign any work-for-hire contracts. [....] The affidavits of Fred Mausser and Justin Gabrie are relevant and admissible because those

affiants are former Archie employees who claim that “[f]reelance creators, including Ken Penders, were not required to sign contracts . . . before they could do work for [Archie].”

That said, the judge did conclude portions of affidavits, including some areas of Penders’s own affidavit, are inadmissible due to several reasons, including extrinsic evidence and hearsay. Some of that concerns small details regarding Ed Spallone, his departure from Archie Comics, and what he allegedly knew or did not know regarding Penders’s contract. The latter was to be a centerpiece of Penders’s defense, and it appears most of that portion will survive.

The judge also found that Archie’s argument of an E-Mail exchange between Penders and Archie’s Victor Gorelick was not enough to merit summary judgment:

Archie’s contention that “a series of emails written by Penders to Victor Gorelick . . . admit that Penders did, in fact, sign [the] [A]greements” is unpersuasive on summary judgment. (Pl. Mem. at 16.) The emails, dated December 4, 2008, December 15, 2008, and January 5, 2009, reference a “work-for-hire form”

from “back in late ‘95” and do not resolve the genuine issues of material fact regarding the authenticity of the Agreements which are dated December 12, 1996. [....]
Because the existence or nonexistence of authentic Agreements is a question of fact for the jury, Archie’s motion for summary judgment is denied

However, Penders also had his motions denied, and several pieces of evidence his team sought to toss, including duplicate copies of the work-for-hire agreement he allegedly signed, were allowed to stay in the case. A jury will ultimately determine their authenticity. In addition, the defense’s cross-motion for summary judgment was denied. An argument that the contract was unenforceable, even if authentic, did not convince the judge:

[....] The record appears to show that Penders submitted invoices to Archie for payment without expressing “any issue or concern with receiving payment from [Archie] in this method or form.” [....] And, Penders’ argument that, “even if [the] Agreements are found to be authentic, valid and enforceable[,] all Works submitted before December 12, 1996 cannot qualify as work for hire” is unpersuasive. (Def. Opp’n at 15.) The Agreements provide that if any Works “do not qualify as a work for hire, [Penders] will and hereby does assign to Archie any right, title and interest that he/she has or may obtain therein, including all copyrights.”

In a nutshell, it means both parties are back to square one facing a possible jury trial, albeit with most of their ammunition intact. Judge Berman has ordered both parties to submit pre-trial orders, jury instructions, and verdict sheets jointly by August 10th, as well as any motion in limine. One last pre-trial conference is scheduled for September 10th to try and hammer out a settlement.

“The parties are directed to engage in good faith settlement discussions prior to the conference,” Berman advised.

If those attempts fail, we should see a trial, and if gets that far, make no mistake; advantage: Penders.

Why should you care if it gets that far? Any thought of Archie losing this case or a settlement may give the company reason to put the brakes on future releases that include Penders’s work, including but not limited to the long-awaited Sonic Comic Encyclopedia. There is, of course, no indication that will happen at this point, but should we see a trial and a jury render a verdict, anything in Penders’s favor would make a release like that quite difficult.

We will continue to offer developments in this case as they come in.

To Criticize or Not To Criticize

You know for years among years, we've had the right to criticize what we like and what we don't like. With comics, it's the same way, there are things we like about what we read and there are things that we don't like to read or see. and it's in our rights to feel that way, no matter what others will say.

Same goes for the head comic book writers. If we feel their doing a great job, then that's our right to say that. But if we feel that their not doing a great job and feel they need to be splashed with water in the face to wake them and make them realize that, then that's our right too.

The point is, no matter how someone else feels, we have to let it be and let them have their opnion and leave it at that. Because no matter how you feel about something, you can't make someone else feel the same way you do. True, you may all agree on a few tibits here and there, but if they feel mostly oppsite of something then what you feel, then that's their right.

For example, in the WWE, you have fans that complain that John Cena is always in the spotlight/main event, and that maybe true, but if they feel that way, then it's their right to criticize that. But on the other side of things, you have fans that are glad Cena's in the main event/spotlight, because in their eyes, they feel he's earned the right to be the face of this company, and if they feel that way, that's their right too.

You see no matter how one feels oppisite someone else, that's their right, no matter what or how everyone else feels about it.

The End

Yes, yes. Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one.

The one thing Nux didn't report on but I saw on the panel (and I think took a pic of on his camera) was a Mecha Amy Rose. Hmmmm.

Got Universe 42 today. To me it seems Naugus keeps getting uglier and uglier. Also, Elias seems really overly jerky. Still don't give two hoots about the wolves cause they are as bland as cardboard. Still, it's an interesting story. Gotta hope for more Shard and Silver action soon.

Yes, yes. Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one.

The one thing Nux didn't report on but I saw on the panel (and I think took a pic of on his camera) was a Mecha Amy Rose. Hmmmm.

A Mecha Amy Rose? Huh?

This may come as as a surprise to some of you, but for those of you that say that the mega-man/sonic crossover couldn't have come at a worse time, well I completely agree.

Let me explain, you see as a fan when you anticipate the conclusion of something and then find out that that conclusion has to be pushed back by several months due to the fact that those who are partnered with they and allow them to do these adaptations of their iconic characters in comic books or any other kind of media, and they come out and say along with those that published the comic that during which time that the conclusion to an epic story arc will be finalized has to be pushed back due to the fact that they want to use that timeframe and anniversary issue to begin said crossover, it's no wonder why many fans/subscribers would be ticked off.

I mean if you know that your head writer, perhaps the only head writer that you depend on to write not only your best-selling comic and it's spinoff, but also all your new action adventure comics. If you know he has plans to finalize and conclude his epic story arc which he himself said would be double the length of the story arc/saga that he had done two years or year and a half prior to the current one, then it only makes sense that you the company that hires him should allow him to finish his story.

Now many don't necessarily blame the comic book company or even the head writer, as a matter of fact they put the total blame on the company that allows the comic book company to write adaptable stories in the comic book adaptation of their characters. And as crazy as it sounds, myself and those that have been in the middle if you will, are actually in agreement with both sides that surprisingly are somewhat in agreement as well. The agreement being, that this crossover between mega-man and sonic could have waited until the end of the current story arc.

Surprisingly, the only good thing about this is at least we only have to deal with this in the main sonic comic book for the summer.

As I have said in some of my videos in which I talked about this crossover, I feel the reason this is happening now or next summer to be correct, is to have the sonic comic book and it's spinoff, but primarily the main sonic comic do something of a "passing of the torch" if you will to the mega-man comic. That to me, in my humble opinion, is the only reason why they decided, they being Sega, Capcom, and yes even Archie comics, decided to do this crossover in the summer of 2013, and thus by doing so interrupt the current story arc and have it as far as the main sonic comic goes held off till issue 254 which would be released in October of 2013. Which I guess, all three parties involved reassured Ian Flynn that he would still get that double the length for this current story arc that they plan to interrupt in June of 2013 with sonic number 250.

You may ask yourself, what I meant by "passing the torch" in this crossover. Well don't worry, the sonic comic book series and all that spins off from it will still be continuing on for many years. But what I was saying or what I meant to say, when I talked about a "passing of the torch", is that we all know down the line, years from now, that the partnership between Archie comics and Sega will come to an end officially, and thus so will the comic and all that comes from it. So when I talk about a "passing of the torch", what I mean in my humble opinion, is that I feel this crossover is just a way to get the mega-man comic ready to be the face of their action adventure comics and what ever adaptable comics they do in the near future. But again that probably won't be for many years from now. But that's why in my humble opinion I feel that they have decided to do this crossover next summer instead of waiting until after the current story arc.

It is true, some of you may put blame on Ian for this crossover happening next year. But again as I mentioned above, you can't put the blame on him. For you see, I read one of his responses on his message board at his own website/fourm. And you could tell by this response, that he isn't too happy about having to do the crossover during the current story arc. In other words he's not happy like some of us that he has to interrupt the current story arc instead of using the 250th anniversary issue to give us a climaxed and conclusion to the story arc, and instead use it as a jumping point into this crossover. So again, as far as Ian Flynn goes in this situation, you can't really blame him.

But overall, that is my feeling and opinions on why this is happening next summer and why it's interrupting the current story arc, instead of finishing it up before they did this crossover.

That's all I'm going to say, Good Night!

Edited by bwrosas

I'm re-reading the series again, using the timeline on the Bumbleking forums.

Got Universe #42 yesterday.

Geezus, I know there have been issues with the main series and Universe running out of sync yet referring to each other regarding issues that aren't out yet, but this takes the cake. Let me get this straight;

They're running the two series at the same time. The events of the main series are all meant to happen before the events of Universe.

So it's like they're telling an eight-part story in the order 4 > 1 > 5 > 2 > 6 > 3 > 7 > 8.

The fuck? How convoluted can you get? I mean, I'm keeping track okay, but my god is it messy.

At least it's looking a bit bigger and more interesting with everything intersecting, although it does make me think the recent Wolfpack-Felidae arc in #237-238 felty a little throwaway- the only bearing it had on the entire plot was that Leeta and Lyco got some pagetime before going to join the Secret Freedom Fighters.

Edited by -Mark-

I don't know why I'm randomly wondering if we'll see Amy's cousin again during the Chaotix Arc in Universe

I don't know why I'm randomly wondering if we'll see Amy's cousin again during the Chaotix Arc in Universe

Is it me, or I want to see Rob O the Hedge's Echidna son, Jon. That freaks me out that in the Archie Sonic Universe, a male hedgehog can have a biological son that is an echidna when his mother is an echidna. I used to think that what the gender/ species is, will be the same for the offspring.

Picked up SU42 and the variant.. The SFF don't seem all that composed right now and they're already 1/2 way through the arc.. They should really only communicate when necessary .. I mean Elias was asking himself a question when Naugus was close by *shrugs*

The team is alright, I didn't notice their codenames were based on playing cards tongue.png Elias is doubting himself as usual, but glad he's taking a step forward, Silver is finally doing something right and not wasting time, Shard is pretty cool but I'd be extremely cautious with working with a bot that can easily be reverted by Archies creative writing, the girls are ok, I would've preferred Mina with Barbie (DFF) or another female character that hasn't been seen in a while and I have no beef with Larry

What's everyones opinion on the variant covers? I'm worried they'll release one with every issue :/

I think the SFF is a pretty cool idea. Not entirely sold on the team though. Have no real interest in the wolf twins and find them kinda boring really, think that code-naming Elias "King" is a really stupid idea, that's like giving Rouge the code-name "Spy" for a secret mission; kinda blows the cover. Silver is Silver, I love him and all but he's a bit of a tool, and that's what makes him cool. What makes it for me is Shard and Larry. Shard is just so obnoxious it's funny and it makes me realise that this comic actually didn't have a character like that until now. Definitely a few laughs from him. Larry's power is cool too and adds a little interest to the team as he's not really someone you'd expect to be there.

The varient covers annoy me. If they're just gonna be CGI I won't bother getting them. I feel comic books should have comic style art in them. Leave the 3D CGI-like renders for the video games. I mean I would probably pick up a varient like the Convention Exclusive SU#41 because it is drawn, but I have no intention of picking up all the CGI varients because they seem like they have nothing to do with the issue itself; they're just a character slapped on the front in a pose and tell me nothing of the comic. Just seems like another money grabbing stunt by Archie to me, like the Megaman crossover.

Edited by The-Master-Board

Is it me, or I want to see Rob O the Hedge's Echidna son, Jon. That freaks me out that in the Archie Sonic Universe, a male hedgehog can have a biological son that is an echidna when his mother is an echidna. I used to think that what the gender/ species is, will be the same for the offspring.

So i'm not interested in reading 8+ interviews to gather information. Can someone give me a bulletpoint list of what we know so far of the SonicXMegaman crossover? I'm trying to tell people who are out-of-the-loop about it and I don't want to link 20 different websites.

-It'll have at least Sonic, Knuckles, Eggman and Shadow/their MM counterparts.

-It'll be in 2013.

-There's 12 issues of it split evenly between three comics (StH, SU and MM).

-It'll take up the #250 milestone as one of its four StH issues.

-Not all of the characters in the promo poster will be in the crossover.

-There may or may not be comic characters involved.

-It may affect the comic continuity.

• Thumbs Up 1

This may be stupid, but where can i buy Archie Sonic comics in the UK, I mean eBay have some, but there are issues missing and what not and I don't really wanna' download them or read them from my iPod, so are there any places where I can buy them and have them shipped to UK?

-It'll have at least Sonic, Knuckles, Eggman and Shadow/their MM counterparts.

-It'll be in 2013.

-There's 12 issues of it split evenly between three comics (StH, SU and MM).

-It'll take up the #250 milestone as one of its four StH issues.

-Not all of the characters in the promo poster will be in the crossover.

-There may or may not be comic characters involved.

-It may affect the comic continuity.

Sweet, thanks man.

So "Not all of the characters in the promo poster will be in the crossover" thing, is that relating to the Quake Woman thing?

EDIT: heh sorry. my bads.

Edited by goku262002

You mean Quake Woman? Possibly. But there is the chance that it does stretch further beyond her.

So other comic characters may join the fray from both ends? I wouldn't mind tbh, Just as long as they get proper introduction for non-readers. I mean at this point MM is easy to pick up from issue #1 and know everything in a short manner, Sonic is a whole 'nother story.

I hope at some point Amy has to brush against Mecha Sally alone. Kinda like what happned with Tails only maybe a little more drawn out. Though I think that is unlikely.

• Thumbs Up 1

If the cover to SSSM#5 is accurate to the contents, then every poster in it will be cover art from previous issues.

Definitely got nothing on the StC poster mags, then.

I'm the same, Blaze. I live in a tiny house and I used to collect my Sonic comics in a binder. Sorta lost interest a few years ago now starting to collect them again. Hopefully will find some deals on EBay to collect them

Also, altered #242 solicit;

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #242

“Olympic Trials”: It's a special event issue in honor of the Summer 2012 Olympic games! Sonic and his friends are preparing for the ultimate contest of sportsmanship, but Dr. Eggman plots from the shadows to take more than the gold! All this plus an exciting bonus story featuring Sonic the Hedgehog and Team Fighters!

Script: Ian Flynn

Art: Jamal Peppers, Steven Butler, Terry Austin, John Workman and Matt Herms

Cover: Yardley!, Austin and Herms

On Sale at Comic Specialty Shops: 10/31

32-page, full color comic

$2.99 US.