Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

But the monarchy is powerless now, it's all about the Acorn Counsil. In other words, Sally was just blowing hot air out her butt.

Are the Latest and Most Current Issues becoming Repetitive?

From what some have said, they seem to be lately.

The reason, is because you have the same stuff being done over and over again, without any change or development.

What others have said, with the most recent issue, it was the same as before, Sally's cornered , and yet somehow she gets away just before Sonic or anyone can grab her. And many feel it just Ian repeating the same thing over and over again.

Now, understandable, others may disagree with this, and that's okay. For they may feel that it's just a way to get to the climax (so we've been told) in the 1 1/2 months.

Others however feel that what's going is just filler and has nothing to do with the arc and could easily be compressed into a 4+ part SU Arc (minus the filler) with no problem whatsoever.

Thus, is the reason why some feel the latest issues of this Mecha Sally arc have becoming repetitive, and believe it needs to stop.

But do any of you agree with this.

no, what would be repetitive is if Sonic had saved Sally 2 to 5 issues of this short monthly comic and would have took the impact of her sacrifice away and them winning all the time in short arcs would be repetitive, as well. I say I want Sally to be a part of the climax which the protagonist love interest that she is deserves, just like a Mario & Peach with Mario not only saving the world but saving Peach, too. This is usually the case in super hero movies games, etc...Sonic is gaining development from all this and he is the most important character in this comic who needs the most development. His flaw is that his free spirited ways and his never "taking anything too seriously" can get him into trouble if he over do it. These flaws make him a good character. A character with flaws makes a good character and the whole Sally thing, her being the love of his life as the protagonist love interest, is perfect for the blue streak himself, the main hero of the comic, "Sonic the Hedgehog." This Sally element, and it is only an element, helps bring the uniqueness to this comic and helps make it stand out in the Sonic franchise.

If I might jump in too.

That scene you can't really fault Sally getting dialogue rather than Sonic. It makes sense for Sally to be telling off Mina. If Sonic did it then it's just a guy telling her off, but if Sally does it then its a princess. If Mina lives in a society ruled over by a monarchy then going against the royal orders is treason.

So that particular scene actually makes sense for Sally to be telling her off.

Yeah and not to mention, Nicole is Sally's best friend so she is actually closer to Nicole than Sonic is.

Ah. Sorry to make it seem like I LOVE the comic from that point. I just meant that it is tolerable from that point. There are quite a few things wrong with that era of the comic, but I don't find much severely wrong with it. I do think that from 160 onwards, Ian made the comic much more than tolerable. The main problem I had with the early writing is the way Sonic is portrayed. He is super arrogant and kind of annoying. I could still deal with him though :)And I'm sorry if my emoticons were annoying. I just use lots of them to show emotion with my posts. But if they are annoying, I won't use as many.I am also curious to see where people think the comic was at its best, whether that be now/recently or whenever...

Well, I personally believe it got good at #160 and then it really got good at 175 after the clean up. Sonic is free spirited and cocky but he knows when to get serious like when Tommy Turtle died and that what's fun about Sonic, he has very rich personality the way Ian writes him.

But the monarchy is powerless now, it's all about the Acorn Counsil. In other words, Sally was just blowing hot air out her butt.

No, Sally was defending her best friend Nicole, who she was obviously more close to than Sonic and Sonic did talk smack to Ash.

Whilst I don't follow the people who go on about certain writers because I think most of their arguments are either completely wrong or misguided due to favouritism.

Sally does certainly steal the spot light, it's quite evident in the Genesis saga just how much, in issue... what was it two or three? Where they 'first' meet Tails, she pretty much tells him to stay at home and not go on the mission with them.

Yeah Sally, there was this little game called Sonic 2, I know you've just been through cosmic reset, but Tails did a fine job alone in that game (if you found the options screen) and nobody thought 'maybe he should stay at home' until they entered a special stage.

Then in two seperate issues on multiple occasions, Sally "I'm not a policeman I'm a princess" Acorn decides to order Sonic around and the best way to get him to do what she wants is by flashing her arse at him. Seriously, theres several occasions where Sally is drawn so that she's flashing her bottom at him and Sonic's eyeline is blatently looking at it as she's giving him an order.

Most of the time before Sally went the way of the borg, her scenes don't particually need her in there, or Sonic happens to be in the same scene with them, dialogue is being spoken and it's all coming from Sally when Sonic should be quite capable of saying the same things with a similar effect.

Take one example which is a tad old, but still presents how they rely on Sally too much and missed out on potential character development. During the whole 'NICHOLE IS AN EVIL ROBOT!' concert, afterwards Nichole cries and runs away, Sonic and Sally enter... ... erm... person who we won't see again for over a years worth of stories trailer and Sally tells her off... Whilst Sonic sits on the couch pretending to be part of the band.

Now... considering the history between these three characters and how pop princess' boyfriend still doesn't particually like Sonic all that much, would this not have been more of an interesting scene if Sonic had given her a grilling? Not to mention how it also helps strengthen his relationship to Nichole by doing so? Yet with Sally, it's just typical and expected.

What? Did I just imagine Sonic and Tails and Shadow teaming up against Scourge in "Birthday Bash" or something? The fact that Shadow saw Sonic as a good friend, now saying that line "Happy Birthday, blue Hedgehog. I cleaned your yard for yah!"-Man, what an awesome quote. and what about Super Sonic, Turbo Tails, and Super Shadow facing off against Tommy Turtle? I sure didn't see a super Sally in that arc. Let's also not forget the character development Sonic got when Tommy Turtle died showing there is more side to him than just be cocky and free spirited all the time. That scene during the Tommy Turtle arc when Knuckles was talking too him stood out pretty well. Then there was the time where Sonic,Tails, and Nicole helped Shadow discover his purpose was to honor Maria's wish by protecting Mobius, Sally wasn't there to still spot light. Then there is that whole "Shadow throwing Snively's hairs back in face, saying, who he was, now. After the whole issue 175 deal, who was it that saved everybody? I will tell you, Sonic, Amy, & Tails saved everyone not Sally. Amy defended Sonic with the whole Fiona situation and Sally wasn't their for that. Sonic even believed her and thanked her. Also over time you notice that there was a lot of build up with the tension in the air between Sonic and Tails until they ended up fighting. I am still not seeing Sally stealing the spot light, I am just not. Then There is Knuckles feeling bad about his role as EnerJak and loosing his father, Sonic, Julie su, Chaotix, and even Rouge tried to cheer him up not Sally. When Mina returned It was Sonic who toured her around the burned downed Knot Hole and Mina even told Ash to be nice to Sonic. It was Sonic and Ash who freed, Tails, Mina, and Mighty from Mammoth Moguls control not Sally. It was Sonic went on that solo mission with Amy for 2 issues not Sally. Then there is Hedgehog Havoc. Sally's plan to dog pile on Scourge failed while Sonic's plan to trick Scourge actually worked. Did Sally fight Robotnik in 200, no she didn't Sonic did. Sally wasn't even the main focus of 200. Sonic even got some more character development when he felt bad for making Robotnik snap, showing he even cares for villains. It was Sonic and Monkey Kahn who faught the Iron King when he first appeared again. They kept fighting him to a stale mate to when Amy was the only one able to knock the Iron King out. Nicole, and Espio got development to during that. the whole Espio trying to honor his clan and the fact that his clan leader was his mom. issues 215 through 220 had Sonic going on Solo missions with Rotor, Bunnie and Geoffrey. not to mention, Shadow, Tails, and the other game cast have their own arcs in "Sonic Universe" the genesis thing was only for 4 issues, because Ian new he would be getting her out of the comic for a while because once again it's the game characters turn. Sally is the protagonist love interest and she still doesn't still the spot light. Amy was the one who tried to snap Sonic out of his funk in 236. Not to mention Amy leading Antione and Geoffrey in to fighting Iron King in the past. Sonic thinking smart and not just thinking about getting Sally all the time by focusing on protecting the citizens from the fire. So I really don't get you guys. Sally really doesn't steal the spot light. I almost believed you guys at a time until as the evidence I just wrote down proves, I actually went back read over Ian's run.

What? Did I just imagine Sonic and Tails and Shadow teaming up against Scourge in "Birthday Bash" or something? The fact that Shadow saw Sonic as a good friend, now saying that line "Happy Birthday, blue Hedgehog. I cleaned your yard for yah!"-Man, what an awesome quote. and what about Super Sonic, Turbo Tails, and Super Shadow facing off against Tommy Turtle? I sure didn't see a super Sally in that arc. Let's also not forget the character development Sonic got when Tommy Turtle died showing there is more side to him than just be cocky and free spirited all the time. That scene during the Tommy Turtle arc when Knuckles was talking too him stood out pretty well. Then there was the time where Sonic,Tails, and Nicole helped Shadow discover his purpose was to honor Maria's wish by protecting Mobius, Sally wasn't there to still spot light. Then there is that whole "Shadow throwing Snively's hairs back in face, saying, who he was, now. After the whole issue 175 deal, who was it that saved everybody? I will tell you, Sonic, Amy, & Tails saved everyone not Sally. Amy defended Sonic with the whole Fiona situation and Sally wasn't their for that. Sonic even believed her and thanked her. Also over time you notice that there was a lot of build up with the tension in the air between Sonic and Tails until they ended up fighting. I am still not seeing Sally stealing the spot light, I am just not. Then There is Knuckles feeling bad about his role as EnerJak and loosing his father, Sonic, Julie su, Chaotix, and even Rouge tried to cheer him up not Sally. When Mina returned It was Sonic who toured her around the burned downed Knot Hole and Mina even told Ash to be nice to Sonic. It was Sonic and Ash who freed, Tails, Mina, and Mighty from Mammoth Moguls control not Sally. It was Sonic went on that solo mission with Amy for 2 issues not Sally. Then there is Hedgehog Havoc. Sally's plan to dog pile on Scourge failed while Sonic's plan to trick Scourge actually worked. Did Sally fight Robotnik in 200, no she didn't Sonic did. Sally wasn't even the main focus of 200. Sonic even got some more character development when he felt bad for making Robotnik snap, showing he even cares for villains. It was Sonic and Monkey Kahn who faught the Iron King when he first appeared again. They kept fighting him to a stale mate to when Amy was the only one able to knock the Iron King out. Nicole, and Espio got development to during that. the whole Espio trying to honor his clan and the fact that his clan leader was his mom. issues 215 through 220 had Sonic going on Solo missions with Rotor, Bunnie and Geoffrey. not to mention, Shadow, Tails, and the other game cast have their own arcs in "Sonic Universe" the genesis thing was only for 4 issues, because Ian new he would be getting her out of the comic for a while because once again it's the game characters turn. Sally is the protagonist love interest and she still doesn't still the spot light. Amy was the one who tried to snap Sonic out of his funk in 236. Not to mention Amy leading Antione and Geoffrey in to fighting Iron King in the past. Sonic thinking smart and not just thinking about getting Sally all the time by focusing on protecting the citizens from the fire. So I really don't get you guys. Sally really doesn't steal the spot light. I almost believed you guys at a time until as the evidence I just wrote down proves, I actually went back read over Ian's run.

This is unrelated, but could you PLEASE use paragraphs!?

• Thumbs Up 1

For me, issue 20 is when the comic got on it's path from being utter shit. Oh sure, it faltered a lot since then, but generally issue 20 is when things stopped being rubbish.

Just what exactly was wrong with the slapstick period of the comics?

• Thumbs Up 4

I find myself agreeing with Ezekiel but please dude use paragraphs. el oh el

Edited by Dejablue

What? Did I just imagine Sonic and Tails and Shadow teaming up against Scourge in "Birthday Bash" or something? The fact that Shadow saw Sonic as a good friend, now saying that line "Happy Birthday, blue Hedgehog. I cleaned your yard for yah!"-Man, what an awesome quote. and what about Super Sonic, Turbo Tails, and Super Shadow facing off against Tommy Turtle? I sure didn't see a super Sally in that arc. Let's also not forget the character development Sonic got when Tommy Turtle died showing there is more side to him than just be cocky and free spirited all the time. That scene during the Tommy Turtle arc when Knuckles was talking too him stood out pretty well. Then there was the time where Sonic,Tails, and Nicole helped Shadow discover his purpose was to honor Maria's wish by protecting Mobius, Sally wasn't there to still spot light. Then there is that whole "Shadow throwing Snively's hairs back in face, saying, who he was, now.

I've no idea what most of that is about... and then I saw this number...

After the whole issue 175 deal, who was it that saved everybody?

Issue 175? An issue which came out in May 2007? Some 5 years ago? Really? I thought I was pushing my argument a little with an example which was just over a year ago, but five years!? The next jump is to issue 200. Now whilst I don't own this issue I do seem to recall people talking about why people where cheering and praising Sally even though she didn't seem to do much of anything. However the biggest question I've got, in the 25 issues, the two years between 175 and 200... What happened which was so insignificat to make this gap so big?

I didn't find any of the slapstick even remotely amusing. Besides, that kind of humour has been done to death before (and better) in the Beano.

Edited by The Conductor
  • Thumbs Up 1

Of course because Nicole and Sally totally aren't friends.

It lacked story drama.

Personally I think that Sonic works better when it has serious stories.

Edited by Vampfox

Not necessarily serious stories, but certainly action oriented ones.

I will tell you what was wrong. Mike Gallagher was in it for the money. If he would have did his research on Sonic, he would have realised that Sonic wasn't supposed to be a lame rip off of Bugs Bunny. For that Mike Gallagher sucked as a writer.

• Thumbs Up 2

For all the issues with the slapstick, one cannot deny that it was those issues that showed Archie the potential for a dedicated fanbase.

I'd like to think of the early issues as them tip-toeing into Sonic's universe and then realizing the potential. And then awesome started to happen.

I'd like to think of the early issues as them tip-toeing into Sonic's universe and then realizing the potential. And then awesome started to happen.

I concur. They also began to realize they can make Chaos Emeralds really do about anything. I'm also rereadng some of the ones i missed.

it's weird how Archie can have up to a thousand Chaos Emeralds, and the SEGA world only has seven. Forgot where and how Archie began to limit them.

Then there's the Echidnas and their huge play. Neat stuff. These comics are like the ultimate fan fictions, a lot of times. Sometimes it's uneeded. Like justifying why Sonic had buckles on his shoes. Green eyes? Fine. But buckles?

Edited by WIttyUsername

Like justifying why Sonic had buckles on his shoes. Green eyes? Fine. But buckles?

They did that? Really? Geezus.

Got #239 a few days back, and, yeah, I think this post-genesis fallout is starting to stagnate a little, now. It got better and better until 235, but then suddenly everything seemed to settle back into normality and repetition again, it's getting a little formulaic and dull. It just feels like they're stalling for time somewhat with the main series, and, if anything, Sonic Universe feels like the main focus at the moment with the regular book being relegated to a supporting plot.

Oh, also, I'm noticing a bit of a theme lately. Sonic sure does like his "I See What You Did There" faces...

6a0120d8.jpg

3e79501d.jpg

c74f9205.jpg

50196928.jpg

3710d996.jpg

df69a3f4.jpg

Granted a lot of these are from an older issue, but the fact they were recently reprinted in Super Special #3 just makes it seem all the more prevalent. :lol:

Forgot where and how Archie began to limit them.

#169, with the Great Harmony. which took every emerald in that universe and merged them into just 7.

They did that? Really? Geezus.

Yeah. Was the 71st. Sometime around the release of Sonic Adventure. Or maybe was after it. SEGA wanted Archie to have Sonic and his homies up to date on their apperance. Archie actually came up with a hard to follow story that somehow explained it.

Maybe I can get the eye thing. But really, the shoes? They could've slapped the buckles on there and nobody would care. but if they needed a story for it, maybe something that would actually put buckles on shoes. Like Uncle Chuck adding them and it gave him a bit more speed by being made out of the same material the rings were. Or something..

Anyhow, was this issue.

STH71.jpg

The stupidest part wasn't the appearance thing though. That honour goes to the stupid environment-changing eco-super forms he gets in the story. They were pointless.

stupid environment-changing eco-super forms he gets in the story. They were pointless.

Uh...? Explain?

I'm sure I know what you may be reffering to. But not sure based on this description.

Edited by WIttyUsername

Uh...? Explain?

I'm sure I know what you may be reffering to. But not sure based on this description.

I'll just quote an excerpt from that article you linked to;

" Heading through Deerwood Forest going faster, Super Sonic then transforms to Ultra Sonic. Ultra Sonic runs past Mount Stormtop, and reaching the sand of the Great Desert, transforms from Ultra Sonic into Solar Sonic. New carnations of Sonic appear where Sonic is geographically; Polar Sonic in the Southern Tundra, while Eco Sonic runs through the Great Rainforest."

Apparently he ran so fast that he turned into Captain Planet.

• Thumbs Up 2

Apparently he ran so fast that he turned into Captain Planet.

Ah.

It's been a while since I read it, and that was only once. Yeah, that was kinda pointless. Forgot about it, actually. for a minute, I thought you was talking about Enerjak or something (dunno why, especially since it has no relation to this issue. Yeah, I'm stupid)

STH71.jpg

Also to make things really weird the issue was backwards, and you had to start at the back of the book if you wanted the story to make any real sense.

Edited by Vampfox

Also to make things really weird the issue was backwards, and you had to start at the back of the book if you wanted the story to make any real sense.

And yet it still didn't.

• Thumbs Up 7

I must admit, actually. I do think it's a bit out of order for Archie to not only have the Mega Man crossover take place within main issues of the comic (as opposed to being its own mini-series), but to have it actually have bearing on the continuity is a bit... wut.

I mean, I don't dislike Mega Man (which, oddly, I'm still much more used to calling Rockman), but I'm pretty much a non-fan. So having a big crossover spanning three comics is going to leave me somewhat in the dark (and somewhat disinterested).