Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

They do, they really really do. The comic does a problem with...fluctuations in quality, but by #160 it gets really good and stays that way. You have to understand about the special editions and such, the early 90s was a GREAT time for comic companies, money wise they were doing amazing. Lot's of little companies were popping up everywhere and there was money for everyone.

And Sonic the Hedgehog is one of the longest running American comic books ever (You know, that hasn't been relaunched or anything like that) so obviously Archie was going to cash in on that. But the Bumbleking link on the previous page contains a time line/reading order.

And Sonic the Hedgehog is one of the longest running American comic books ever (You know, that hasn't been relaunched or anything like that) so obviously Archie was going to cash in on that. But the Bumbleking link on the previous page contains a time line/reading order.

Yeah, I found that because this comic is really difficult to follow from the beginning.

It really is, I've been following that list on my recent re-read of the comic. I'm onto issue...30 something now.

I read nearly all of them. Missed a few due to timeline reasons -- this comic loooooooooooooooooooooves to branch out.

I used this and got on track:

http://bumbleking.co...opic.php?t=1780

But I found 150 to be fairly amusing. I'm weird, I guess.

You got that right liking 150 and all. Seriously, that comic deserves a negative 10 out of 10

#239 really didin't continue the strory as much as I hope it would..... I mean we're given several pages of team fighters just running saving a burin village and when I checked the timeline for the next 4 issues on the last page,it looks like this arc is gonna continue till december or more....... The story is gettin cheesier and cheesier in each arc... But that's just my opinion.

Saving a burning village is cheesy?

One thing I guess I wish the artist would do is dabble more in mood lighting. But that might be from me reading more manga. And then of course I realize this is probably harder to do with color than black and white. Sooo nevermind

Just reread #239 and Universe #42 today, and am reminded of how ridiculous the ordering of all this is.

They're telling an eight-part story in the order 4, 1, 5, 2, 6, 3, 7, 8. It's just so convoluted and ridiculous when the annotations and dialogue are referring to issues that are a couple of months away from even being published. It'd probably make a lot more sense to go back once they're finished and read it all in the proper order.

Saving a burning village is cheesy?

One thing I guess I wish the artist would do is dabble more in mood lighting. But that might be from me reading more manga. And then of course I realize this is probably harder to do with color than black and white. Sooo nevermind

Love Escapades? What the hell are you talking about.

Refrecing the love related plots that occurred years ago in relation to what's happening nopw/ doesn't make any sense.

Edited by Soniman

Love Escapades? What the hell are you talking about.

Refrecing the love related plots that occurred years ago in relation to what's happening nopw/ doesn't make any sense.

I already talked about what's happenning now and this arc is somehow dragging on pointlessly and refrencing on future issues!! Love escapdes I was talking about was the previous arcs in general!! And again this is just MY opinion.....

Hey folks! Don't forget to check out my review of #239.

BTW, I was looking over #150-155 (which is some of the Bollers/Penders era) and was remembering just how awful that year of Sonic issues was. They really made Sonic look like a fucking scumbag. Think about this...

A.) Anti-Sonic (later to become Scourge) had stuck the real Sonic in Mobeus (Anti-Mobius) and instead of causing great mayhem was just making "Georgie-Porgie-Pumkin-Pie" with the ladies. Making moves on each one including Fiona, Mina, Amy and Bunnie who he makes out with for most of one day.

B.) Sonic fights his way back home and gets rid of Anti-Sonic (kind of, he ends up hanging out with Rouge). Sees that Amy and Bunnie are acting all lovey-dovey towards him (well, Amy is more flirtatious than usual) and figures Ant-Ah Heck, I'm just gonna call him Scourge, has been making the moves on the ladies.

Does he try to explain what happened over the past day or two to anyone? (Cuz "It wasn't me, it was my evil twin" makes a great T-Shirt.) NO! In fact, he just keeps the romantic relationship with Bunnie going with Bunnie never realizing it wasn't the real Sonic she was making out in the bushes with.

After rescuing Bunnie from some cyber monster trying to assimilate her, they share a kiss and it's the final scene that shows them as a couple because they never show them end that part of their relationship on panel!! (You can probably thank the switch in writers that don't really check the previous writers work all that often for that.)

Oh, and it gets better. During a Mina Mongoose concert, Tails almost asks Fiona out, but Sonic interrupts it because he doesn't want to see Tails hurt. Only in the very next issue Tails catches Sonic and Fiona making out. (He also caught him and Bunnie making out which kinda makes Tails a peeping Tom.)

Keep in mind that they never showed Sonic and Bunnie end the romantic part of their relationship which means to the average (and mostly young) reader, Sonic is cheating on Bunnie. Also, for a very short time, Mina and Ash broke up due to her still carrying a torch for Sonic and half her songs are actually about him (ummm...that's actually a pretty good reason to dump her ass). On top of that, she's had an assassination attempt so Sonic has been around as her bodyguard. Ash finally wins her over by almost killing himself by taking a bomb meant for her (sucker). At the hospital, Sonic sees them kiss and make up. Is he happy for the couple since he's not really shown much romantic interest in her? Nope. He walks away all sad that he can't have another woman to conquer.

All this in five issues. I'm starting to wonder if he really did switch back.

• Thumbs Up 2

Everything Jason said.

Never read Archie Sonic, but the writing sounds terrible if he switches back and forth without any consequences that often. And this is supposed to be the good guy here!

So I recently read the Ken penders run and it's not actually that bad.. the art is a little funky and my only complaint is how everyone seems to talk like they've got a thesaurus in their hands.

Overall I shouldn't hop on a hate bandwagon before checking something out.

Personally I do still think Ian is better and he always will.

Never read Archie Sonic, but the writing sounds terrible if he switches back and forth without any consequences that often. And this is supposed to be the good guy here!

These are old issues. The book's come a long way since then.

Ian Flynn really turned things around with his work. I'm mostly complaing about the writers that went before him who very obviously did not read each other's work before writing a script. (Penders even admits to this.) I think this is what happened...

#150-151 Penders writes Sonic and Bunnie into a relationship.

#152-154 Bollers, most likely not reading Penders scripts for the previous issues, puts Sonic in a relationship with Fiona never acknowledging Sonic/Bunnie.

Ian did away with all that and hade made it much more action/adventure focused (although he did give Sonic and Sally a lot of romance time before #225, but that was with the intent to break them apart with the Mecha Sally saga).

• Thumbs Up 1

I've hardly read any of the Archie comics, but I have heard that it was during Ken Penders time that the Maurice the Pimphog comic was at it's absolute lowest.

These are old issues. The book's come a long way since then.

Ian Flynn really turned things around with his work. I'm mostly complaing about the writers that went before him who very obviously did not read each other's work before writing a script. (Penders even admits to this.) I think this is what happened...

#150-151 Penders writes Sonic and Bunnie into a relationship.

#152-154 Bollers, most likely not reading Penders scripts for the previous issues, puts Sonic in a relationship with Fiona never acknowledging Sonic/Bunnie.

Ian did away with all that and hade made it much more action/adventure focused (although he did give Sonic and Sally a lot of romance time before #225, but that was with the intent to break them apart with the Mecha Sally saga).

You say that but then there was that retarded subplot where Sally and Monkey Khan were an item and then something about giving Sonic another chance and she leaves Monkey Kahn. Also Amy was in there somewhere.

Now it seems like the plot is basically on hold waiting for a round number.

Edited by Phos

Archie comics are great but the early issues SUCCCK when I first started reading them like issues 20 and below I was confused if it was ever gonna start a story. Now on issue 55 its been getting more interesting and staying in order.....better at least

So I recently read the Ken penders run and it's not actually that bad.. the art is a little funky and my only complaint is how everyone seems to talk like they've got a thesaurus in their hands.

Overall I shouldn't hop on a hate bandwagon before checking something out.

Personally I do still think Ian is better and he always will.

Not only that, but the Turbo Tails with the lame cape was pretty dumb. Tails is supposed to have golden flickys around him when he goes super not that lame cape. And the Thousand Knuckles re colors. Rouge making out with Knuckles dad. Putting full blown Star wars and Star Trek into the comics, yet he has the nerve to try and sew Archie for taking his work. He said Ben Hurst sucked as a writer. It was even Ken's fault that SatAM stayed canceled after the 2nd attempt.

You say that but then there was that retarded subplot where Sally and Monkey Khan were an item and then something about giving Sonic another chance and she leaves Monkey Kahn. Also Amy was in there somewhere.

Now it seems like the plot is basically on hold waiting for a round number.

Yeah, but Ian didn't dedicate the whole comic into over the top furry drama like Ken did. A little romance ok, but Ken turned it into tabloid trash.

Edited by TheEzekiel300

Not only that, but the Turbo Tails with the lame cape was pretty dumb. Tails is supposed to have golden flickys around him when he goes super not that lame cape.

That's hyper tails and he is in one of the comics I just recently read.

But I'm getting PISSED about how shit magically ends in these comics and you have to go read some special edition to figure out what happens......waste of my time...ugh

That's hyper tails and he is in one of the comics I just recently read.

But I'm getting PISSED about how shit magically ends in these comics and you have to go read some special edition to figure out what happens......waste of my time...ugh

I wouldn't magically all the time. Like In 200 Sonic broke Eggman and made him snap with good old fashion spin dashing and super speed. One of my top favorite moments in the comics. It was fun, hilarious, and sad, but mostly hilarious. I loved it. Eggman: "FFFFF-U"

No its Super Tails, it just takes a whole ass-load of chaos energy to have him go super unlike Sonic and the rest.

And your not going to like Universe with that attitude.

Mogul was an Ixis? Huh. That explains a bit.

I take it you just tuned in? We knew that around 50+ issues ago.