Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

All the characters except Sally look terrible, except I can't make out Silver too well to judge. Tails's hair is coming out of his eyebrow and Sonic's eyes look pretty terrible as they mould into his cheek, same with Amy with her copy-paste drawing structure as Sonic. Tails's head isn't doing so hot either as it gets narrower the closer it gets to his cheek.

What I'm saying is...the characters look incredibly flat and paper-like.

Oh well, Archie is notorious for its bad covers, like 'eye-jizz Sonic' some issues back.

Gee Mogtaki (and the rest of you) no wonder why hes not showing up as much...

I was referring to how the Sally plotline was kind of got sidelined

I understand there are a lot of plotlines, but that's just it, there are so many plotlines that others tend to be forgotten in the midst of it all, I'm not saying that all of the focus should have been towards rescuing Sally, but at the same time it was kind of pushed to the side for a good while despite the supposed impact it should have had. I guess I just kind of expected more from the whole plot considering how it was promoted when it happened.

Really, it's not too often we get something so earthshaking that it sticks, or that everything gets fixed up while they go about making new plot elements for the comic. Rescuing Sally was probably pushed off because they wanted to draw it out as long as they could before they had to return her back to flesh and blood, and even then her restoration isn't gonna fix everything since there are still other problems.

Understand that some of these things have been put on hold for a LONG time before they came back, such as Mammoth Mogul and Nagus' absence in the comic series, and most especially the Iron Queen who was put on hold for the longest since her first appearance in Issue 60 before she made a major reappearance in issue 201. That's like 140 issues she's never made an appearance, but they didn't seem to forget about her.

I could make a whole laundry list from Fiona down to Silver before he became stuck in the present, but it could be seen as their way to keep this comic series as long running as it has been.

Member or not, his work is in a professional publication now, thus is under scrutiny as an official product. 

As a fanartist his stuff is great, but it just doesn't look right on the cover there. If needs be, I'll go through my problems with it;

-To start off, Mecha Sally looks great, no complaints with her. Silver's too small to see clearly.

-My most major complaint is that the other three characters have their faces far too rounded. Tails and Amy can kind of get away with this because their faces are naturally rounder, but for Sonic, where his face has a lot of bumps and edges, it looks really weird. The eyebrow ridge shouldn't be smoothed out like that, and the muzzle should have a separate "shape" to the face.

-Sonic and Tails' heads kind of narrow towards the bottom. It's less noticeable on Sonic who has his spines to hide it a bit. 

-Amy's eyes are too angled (ironically). There shouldn't be such a ridge between them, which affects the top of the eyes and makes it less rounded. 

-Tails shouldn't have an eye ridge, really, but that's more minor.

-Finally, Sonic's body looks a little off. I think it's a bit too square or something, it makes the stomach part look odd as a result. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Don't see what the problem is really. That cover looks way better than any of the usual Tracey Yardley ones I've seen and while I would've preferred those concept ones, the one that the went with still looks good to me. No Spza cover, but still good.

The only thing I see wrong with the cover is the "worlds collide" logo.

Seriously not looking forward to that crap. The comic is way too interesting at the moment and they're gonna cut away to some stupid crossover and drag the main story through it? Doesn't make any sense to me.

The second of those concept covers looks a bit too cluttered, so I can see why that one was left as a concept. The first one though...not only is it technically better than what we got, but the layout acts as nice foil to the cover of #230, what with Mecha Sally's position at the top and aggressive arm posing. 

I believe the reason why we got the cover for 247 that we did is not just because larmar (trunks24) didn't like it, it's probably because he was given word that they couldn't have a cover that showed someone more threatening than Eggman, and when you look at the first proposed cover, it shows that.  Now I don't have a problem with that 1st cover or even the 2nd proposed cover, and from what I've read here and elsewhere, I don't think anyone else has problem with it either.

But it's just like with Sonic, and the certain mandates opposed on him, you probably have similar mandates for Eggman, one probably being that no one can been seen more threatening than him.  Even though some will say that he is protrayed at times in the games and comics like a doof.

Don't see what the problem is really. That cover looks way better than any of the usual Tracey Yardley ones I've seen and while I would've preferred those concept ones, the one that the went with still looks good to me. No Spza cover, but still good.

The only thing I see wrong with the cover is the "worlds collide" logo.

Seriously not looking forward to that crap. The comic is way too interesting at the moment and they're gonna cut away to some stupid crossover and drag the main story through it? Doesn't make any sense to me.

hey what sega and capcom want, they get, even if we and perhaps even Ian Flynn don't like it.

Edited by bwrosas

it's not bad at all!, have any of you seen the orginal cover (practice_sonic_cover_by_trunks24-d5jwpwo)

maybe even this one : (sonic_comic_cover_la_by_trunks24-d4z0jjr)

Now it's great that it be finally ending, but we will have to wait till September 2013 for the conclusion.

but by doing so, it fullfills his goal of double the length of the Iron Dominion arc.

I have to say I'm with everyone else in that I love the top one a LOT better than the one we have.

The bottom one has me curious tho. I see Snively there, so I'm assuming he's gonna find a way out of his prison? Or what?

The top one is a lot better and follows the rules of illustration art incredibly well. Why didn't they use that one? The only complaint I'd have is the mouths (except Tails and Sally's) are a bit...uhhh, well, I'm sure you've seen "amomentofarchiesonic" on tumblr...

Gee Mogtaki (and the rest of you) no wonder why hes not showing up as much...

That's how art works. People who can't take art critiques very well shouldn't be posting it in the first place, as they say on deviantart and conceptart.org . We have a saying on dA though: If you can't take critique, don't become a Tom Preston.

Of course, I don't see them complaining that people are saying there's quite a few errors in it. They obviously can handle critique, which is good, so why are you saying I'm throwing mud in their face when they've moved on from this website?

Also, one of the artists is (nick)named Spaz!

Also, I saw a picture of Tikal from an apparantly recent comic, where she had toes (and a creepy as hell look). Why'd they change an obvious characteristic?

Because the characters in the comics have always had toes? Cartoonish animal toes, thankfully, and not humanoid feet like some of the older artists drew.

I seem to recall official beach art where either Tails or Amy (can't remember, maybe both?) had smooth flat featureless feet - I always thought that was a bit weird.

Animal-like feet works too.. though I bet if you go through Archie with a fine comb they're not exactly consistent about how/if they draw toes.

And about the spaz thing, I think it caused Mario Party 8 to be recalled in UK because the word 'spaz' was present in the game. Prolly just some weird thing UK has..

tumblr_mf6uno0OsS1ra3a2yo1_500.png

Welp, I can see why a UK release of the comics hasn't been attempted yet...

Well I see that as a reference to the artist Spaz... but yeah, I too can see that going down badly in the UK.

Also with reference to the feet thing, yeah I find the toeless paws thing kinda weird. I also remember Sonic having toes in AoSTH, maybe that's why I find it odd.

Edited by MamboHoHo!

Because the characters in the comics have always had toes? Cartoonish animal toes, thankfully, and not humanoid feet like some of the older artists drew.

Well, the pic I saw had realistic ones. It was fucking creepy. Also, you'd think that for the SEGA cast, they'd give them the blobs they have in the games and not draw any attention to it.

For those who want to see it:

TikalProfile.jpg

Edited by Santa Attaxx

All media has toed feet bar the games and Sonic X, from what I've seen.

And Big has toeless feet on show all the time. 

And about the spaz thing, I think it caused Mario Party 8 to be recalled in UK because the word 'spaz' was present in the game. Prolly just some weird thing UK has..

Because a spaz is an offensive term here for somebody with cerebral palsy, spastic being the proper word for it.

Blame the 80s for turning it into a taboo.

Well, the pic I saw had realistic ones. It was fucking creepy. Also, you'd think that for the SEGA cast, they'd give them the blobs they have in the games and not draw any attention to it.

TikalProfile.jpg

Looks like Penders - no wonder it's creepy.

Because a spaz is an offensive term here for somebody with cerebral palsy, spastic being the proper word for it.

Blame the 80s for turning it into a taboo.

Isn't the word spastic used in the States too? (if not then that explains a lot) I'm just confused as to why UK is so offended by it but USA isn't.

Isn't the word spastic used in the States too? (if not then that explains a lot) I'm just confused as to why UK is so offended by it but USA isn't.

It just means retard or idiot in the US, but here it's cerebral palsy.

It just means retard or idiot in the US, but here it's cerebral palsy.

Ah that makes sense then - either way the comics aren't officially published in UK and I'm not sure how difficult it would be for Archie to arrange that. It's not too hard to get subscriptions for from comic shops n stuff regardless.

Ah that makes sense then - either way the comics aren't officially published in UK and I'm not sure how difficult it would be for Archie to arrange that. It's not too hard to get subscriptions for from comic shops n stuff regardless.

I think the PSP store did digital ones at one point, but they took them off.

I think it's licencing issues here, otherwise I'm sure Forbidden Planet sells them or something...shame there's barely any of those shops and they're so far apart.

Or you can *cough*http://en.sonicscanf.org/comics/

Edited by Mogtaki

I think the PSP store did digital ones at one point, but they took them off.

I think it's licencing issues here, otherwise I'm sure Forbidden Planet sells them or something...shame there's barely any of those shops and they're so far apart.

Or you can *cough*http://en.sonicscanf.org/comics/

They took them off PSP too? Eesh. I wonder if they're available on iOS or Android at all.. I really don't see why not; there's certainly demand for them here.

I have a subscription at Oxford Street's Forbidden Planet, but I live all the way in Cornwall so I only get to pick em up a couple of times a year. Plus the subscription isn't too reliable.. I've missed issues here and there since I started collecting around #140.

They took them off PSP too? Eesh. I wonder if they're available on iOS or Android at all.. I really don't see why not; there's certainly demand for them here.

There is an Archie Sonic app, but I think it's limited to America. 

Looks like Penders - no wonder it's creepy.

Even if it was like Penders, I fail to see how this is creepy.

• Thumbs Up 1

TikalProfile.jpg

You know, this pic is rather good if it was Penders who done it, this pic would be good if she had the basic 3 toes.

I  myself always draw 3 toes for characters in typical cartoon anthro fashion ala Bugs Bunny, course it depends on the animal too.

If it's a Bird, I draw talons, mainly two or 3 depending on the bird species, if amphibious, I draw webbed feet, if Reptilian I tend to draw pointy nails coming from their toes. Other animals like Pigs, Horses, and Deew, I draw hooves, for fish I draw them with mermaid like tails.

I really can't picture Snakes with legs, so I rather draw them with a serpant lower torso.

Edited by Dantemustdie00

Even if it was like Penders, I fail to see how this is creepy.

(It's the toes - and the face a bit)

Of course yes if it was Penders it's better than a lot of his stuff.