Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

(It's the toes - and the face a bit)

What exactly is wrong with toes?

And I see nothing wrong with the face.

They just look so utterly off - like they shouldn't be there. Sonic characters' limbs are simple, the toes look more complex and makes them out of place. Also, it seems like the artist never played Sonic Adventure or saw any art of her.

Also, instead of a cute, wide-eyed look like in most of her appearances, here she looks like the furry's wet dream - and slutty.

Edited by Santa Attaxx

The face I don't see.

But for a character so cartoonish, the feet are just too realistic in structure and it's jarring. And I'd say that for every time realistic feet have been done in any Sonic medium. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Methinks the human toes look creepy on Sonic characters is all, cartoony animal toes or flat feet like in the Sonic Team art would be preferred.

But hey that's just me, imo it's definitely creepy though! When you've got round faces, near flat cylinders for legs and arms and rounded cartoony hands, having knobbly bony feet is just.. just!

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

There is an Archie Sonic app, but I think it's limited to America. 

Try Comixology. If you have an iPad or Android tablet you can get the app on that and buy the comics directly through it. As far as I'm aware you can buy the comics no matter where you are (I'm in Australia, but we get Archie's physical comics here) so it's worth a try. And the quality of the digital comics is great.

I think the reason why the feet look so fucking creepy is because we are expecting their feet to look like the evolved form of their own species in the similar matter paralleling humans feet evolving from the forms from other great apes. Ergo, it looks so out of place and comes across more as human projectionism than the cartoonish form of anthropomorphized fiction.

Edited by Scheming Minor

That Tikal kind of looks like Axer's style. Loved his hyper detailed works along with Spaz and some Butler! Tikal looks cute here to me. I'm not really seeing the creepiness. I mean they just look like... toes. I think it looks better that the artist decided to not give the impression of toenails, otherwise I would be inclined to agree.

As for that cover, I have to wonder if it looking wonky is a combination of problems not entirely the penciller's fault. I mean, compare this:

14ky2ye.jpg

With this:

wolfpanel.jpg

Sure, Yardley's drawing of the wolves in that particular view looks weird even in his original pencils, but it looks like the art was simplified considerably when it got passed to the inker.

Yeah, see, I find human feet on animals to be creepy, period. It looks incredibly jarring to me, and it's one of my problems with seeing Mickey and Goofy without shoes and such.

1246291_ful.jpg

OK, So a lot of back and forth about this cover, to me Sonic looks off model and lacks dimension, Sonic's right foot (his right) is basically a triangle that almost reaches his knee and his head doesn't seem put together well.  Some of this is the colorist's fault (Sonic's head is shaded differently from everything else for some reason), but the quills look like something out of Sonic X there.  

I can't tell if that's supposed to be one or both of Tails's tails, and his bang isn't coming out of the middle, and also seems a tad giant.  Amy's expression kind of reminds me of the transformers comic, ya know that infamous  expression, here we go:

Devastator-dullsurprise.jpg

"dull surprise" 

By the way, I don't get the horizontal lines coming off Sally's eyes in two of these covers, All I can figure is they were going for the Akira style trailing light or the Mass Effect style horizontal lens flair and this doesn't really look like either.  

Well, the pic I saw had realistic ones. It was fucking creepy. Also, you'd think that for the SEGA cast, they'd give them the blobs they have in the games and not draw any attention to it.

For those who want to see it:

TikalProfile.jpg

That picture is to on model as Elise is to humans.  Looks like some kind of Cherub version of Tikal, and that's not even to do with the feet.  There's no way that big toe isn't broken.  

Ya know it really adds a lot to the story when the only consequence is that Sally has to wear a shirt now.  So have they set up a mechanism for derobtization other than "Nagus's crystals do it I guess"?  

OK, So a lot of back and forth about this cover, to me Sonic looks off model and lacks dimension, Sonic's right foot (his right) is basically a triangle that almost reaches his knee and his head doesn't seem put together well.  Some of this is the colorist's fault (Sonic's head is shaded differently from everything else for some reason), but the quills look like something out of Sonic X there.  

I can't tell if that's supposed to be one or both of Tails's tails, and his bang isn't coming out of the middle, and also seems a tad giant.  Amy's expression kind of reminds me of the transformers comic, ya know that infamous  expression, here we go:

Devastator-dullsurprise.jpg

"dull surprise" 

By the way, I don't get the horizontal lines coming off Sally's eyes in two of these covers, All I can figure is they were going for the Akira style trailing light or the Mass Effect style horizontal lens flair and this doesn't really look like either.  

That picture is to on model as Elise is to humans.  Looks like some kind of Cherub version of Tikal, and that's not even to do with the feet.  There's no way that big toe isn't broken.  

Ya know it really adds a lot to the story when the only consequence is that Sally has to wear a shirt now.  So have they set up a mechanism for derobtization other than "Nagus's crystals do it I guess"?  

That's what I've been seeing too, along with the faces looking damn right odd for some reason. The characters look really flat from all the problems you've described.

As for Tikal...yeah, the big toe looks like it was drawn by somebody with a foot fetish with a LOT of attention being drawn to the feet. They look unnatural, as if they got a human model and stuck Tikal's head on there, her eyes are bulging as well with those lines around her eyelids.

If she wasn't a Sonic character, the feet would be okay except for that giant broken toe.

Yeah, see, I find human feet on animals to be creepy, period. It looks incredibly jarring to me, and it's one of my problems with seeing Mickey and Goofy without shoes and such.

I actually don't mind it on Mickey and Goofy because their toes are cartoony and blobby like their hands. If they choose to give Sonic characters 5 toes they should be more like that and less humanlike.

As for Tikal...yeah, the big toe looks like it was drawn by somebody with a foot fetish with a LOT of attention being drawn to the feet. They look unnatural, as if they got a human model and stuck Tikal's head on there, her eyes are bulging as well with those lines around her eyelids.

Ah yes that's what was bugging me about her face! Thank.

A little on the side, but here's a question:

How did THIS

tumblr_ly3bsylQ6d1rnsvazo1_400.png

Get into Archie without tampering??

I wonder the same thing with this

tumblr_lya7hnzwB61rnsvazo1_500.png

It's Sonic's expression that gets me :lol:

Never mind that feet are almost as complex as the hands as far as limbs go? If it's because they're realistic, then okay. But if it's simply because they have toes, then I think we have warped perceptions over the limbs of Sonic characters.

120px-A_d5.png117px-Big_1.png127px-Yuji_uekawa_tikal_32.png120px-Tails_27.png

What exactly is there to be warped about, again?

And yes, it's because they look realistic and bony compared to the rest of the noodly limbs. Also, as many said, broken toe.

Edited by Santa Attaxx

So have they set up a mechanism for derobtization other than "Nagus's crystals do it I guess"?  

Several.

Bem, Power Rings, Salvaging the parts of the Original Robotisizer in Question, Naugus, Enerjak,

There are a ton of established ways Sonic and Co. could go about de-robotisizing her.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

And yes, it's because they look realistic and bony compared to the rest of the noodly limbs. Also, as may said, broken toe.

Let's not forget Sonic himself too

DarkspineSonicpic2.png

Granted, I think Archie were drawing toes on characters before SA-art that revealed they had none was released but now, it's nothing more than a conscious deviation from an established aspect of Sonic character design and it looks terrible.

Bagh, forgot him. My mistake.

And yes, they did draw toes on Sonic in the early issues, though they were more like paws. And I think they said "well let's keep putting toes on 'em cause we did that in an issue 10 years ago that most of our audience nowadays haven't read just so we can keep consistency with that instead of SEGA's art" instead of just making it a quiet retcon, I mean it's easier to draw and it's not like you see them like that most of the time either and dear god almighty why am I discussing toes of all things?!

Edited by Santa Attaxx

Why yes, those are rather neat official works.

Over complex body parts like toes being around, when other complex parts like fingers are also present as well.

In other words, we don't bat an eye towards characters having fingers, but god forbid they have toes because it winds up looking creepy. Now I take it you're implying something else instead?

Yeah, some of those weird out of context (even in context) things tend to happen now and then in the Archie run. It's calmed down significantly in the recent years though. You can find more examples in A Moment of Archie Sonic and archiewhatthetails blogs on tumblr. Half the stuff I don't even remember ever being a thing but I get a good laugh at it!

Over complex body parts like toes being around, when other complex parts like fingers are also present as well.

In other words, we don't bat an eye towards characters having fingers, but god forbid they have toes because it winds up looking creepy. Now I take it you're implying something else instead?

Way to skim over the part where I sad that the limbs (including the hands) are noodly and cartoony but the feet on that picture have actual bone structure when no other body part on them does so it ends up looking out of place.

Besides, how can it be warped when it is what SEGA (the guys who have the first say in anything Sonic-related) considers to be the cast's official anatomy?

Edited by Santa Attaxx

Way to skim over the part where I sad that the limbs (including the hands) are noodly and cartoony but the feet on that picture have actual bone structure when no other body part on them does so it ends up looking out of place.

Way to dodge the freaking question I asked you for the second time on the subject to deliver a witty jab after I answered yours. You couldn't just say "No it's not that they have toes" so that we could settle the debate?

Because when you quote me to argue against my claim where I said "But if it's simply because they have toes, then I think we have warped perceptions over the limbs of Sonic characters." I'm not gonna play  mindreader so I can get an answer.

Besides, how can it be warped when it is what SEGA (the guys who have the first say in anything Sonic-related) considers to be the cast's official anatomy?

I couldn't care less about whether Sega made it the official anatomy or not, because I never had a problem with it in the first place. I'm just curious about the logic of what appears to be "Toes = terrible" on a Sonic character.

The fact that the toes look realistic while the fingers look cartoony IS what I was implying.

The fact that the toes look realistic while the fingers look cartoony IS what I was implying.

Then it would have been much better to have been more straightforward like that than countering someone with an image of toeless character and then adding how realistic they were as an addition problem on top of that. Because that's how I kept reading your responses.