Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

That's a real vanilla reason if you think about, putting more personal stakes onto it makes it a lot more meaningful. Not that it wasn't before, but I get what he's saying.

Sonic's always had a personal stake from day one, I don't the really needs a complicated, developed reason why he would want to go after and defeat what has been his main enemy since the beginning.

Eh, the Freedom Fighter tagline fits as they are more or less a squad of dudes in direct opposition to the Eggman empire for the collective benefit of nearby residents (being Sandblast city).

I always kinda liked how there were a few FF groups out there with more... questionable methods. it makes their dynamic all the more interesting. Not everyone does things on the moral high road. ^^

Issue 216-17 do anything for ya?

Even though I don't have sonic universe 48, or the issues they came before it.  One thing I can say, and that is "what side are the sand blast freedom fighters truly on?"

Now some will defend them as being rebellious/rogue/anti-established freedom fighters, kind of like being the Stone Cold Steve Austin of freedom fighters.  Or the Aces and 8's of freedom fighters.  If you're a wrestling fan you'll understand were I'm getting these references from.  However as far as they go I see something else in their future.

You see when we first met Bunnie's uncle and his dark egg Legion, what stuck out to me was the fact that this DEL seems less threatening and more at times different than the other Legions.  I mean their leader/GrandMaster is I guess you could say a little more sympathetic then the other grandmasters.  Now what is this have to do with the sand blast freedom fighters?  You're about to find out.

Now I understand Ian Flynn likes to try to be different, he likes to try new things.  And if you read the current story arc in the main comic you'll see what I mean.  But I have this feeling that he's going to do something that may surprise readers and fans and may not.  You see what I thinks going to happen maybe not in this story arc in sonic universe,  but in a future story arc down the line,  I have a feeling and I could be wrong,  but I have a feeling that Ian Flynn's coming up with an idea/story that's going to cause the Baron's Legion and the Sand blast freedom fighters to switch sides.

Yep!  You read that right.  And here is why I feel that will happen, because when I see and I know I'm not the only one, but when I see the sand blast team, I see a team that if given the opportunity to switch sides they would do it in a heartbeat, no questions asked.  And at the same time I could see the Baron's Legion switching sides because of that.  In other words what I see happening in the near future and again I could be wrong, is the sand blast freedom fighters becoming the sand blast dark egg Legion, and at the same time the Baron's Legion becoming freedom fighters.  I just feel that's in the works I just feel it.

Now again, as I mentioned at the beginning, I do realize several fans would defend the sbff for who they are.  But I think you will agree that what I've talked about here is not a matter of how is just a matter of when, and I feel that when will be coming up very soon.

And that's all I have to say about it.  Please leave your responses respectively and thank you for reading.

Sonic's always had a personal stake from day one, I don't the really needs a complicated, developed reason why he would want to go after and defeat what has been his main enemy since the beginning.

I never said he didn't, I said by robotiicizing Sally, it's given him an even greater reason for doing so.

Issue 216-17 do anything for ya?

This arc is actually my favorite arc by Ian, but if I remember right, they didn't do a lot except use Sonic to fight. Jack's team is proven to be competent and dangerous, besting Sonic and the Chaotix now. We are always rooting against them. But I'd like to see a situation where they rightfully lay into villains the way we see them beat down the heroes, where we are rooting for the lesser of two evils, even cheering. Jack should become a power player in an arc soon, his character's one of the best in the series now.

TSSZ is a subject of drama whenever it's mentioned on these forums and we would prefer it if it simply wasn't brought up as often as possibly can.

• Thumbs Up 4

A "real" reason, you say? As opposed to Eggman's general goal of taking over Mobius and enslaving everyone Sonic knows and cares for?

I think that was just the fanboy in them talking, which isn't a bad thing. Sonic's made it obvious that he's not going to rush in to save her, especially when there's a variety of ways he can do it that the writers don't want to do just yet because it doesn't fit their printing schedule.

I know this is probably sliiiightly going off topic...but I've just noticed something I never cared to notice before: Tracy Yardley likes having an exclamation point after his name...why? It sounds weirdly big-headed to make the readers go "WOW IT'S DRAWN BY HIM!!"

Apparantly, Yardley's habit of putting an exclamation mark at the end of his name is a tribute to Scott Shaw, one of the artists for the comic when it started, who did the same thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Crap...well better not waste a post.

Universe just came out right? whens the next issue of the main series comic coming out?

Edited by goku262002

I only just read 244 and I have to say I was a little underwhelmed. I guess I had heard so much about it beforehand...

I'm enjoying the Chaotix story in Universe though, looks like it's about to get better as well!

Apparantly, Yardley's habit of putting an exclamation mark at the end of his name is a tribute to Scott Shaw, one of the artists for the comic when it started, who did the same thing.

That makes a lot more sense, thanks!

A Fan's Take On What Could Have Been?

What could have been.
by ~Vorahk295, 5 hours, 53 minutes ago
Journals / Personal
Another trope title, and hey, I'm not writing this in the middle of the night!

First off, thanks to sadly ex-Deviant , I can confirm something, and then immediately say 'called it', as I am wont to do. Through email, he sent my a planel from the CHaotix SU arc, which shows Mighty being confronted by Beauregard. Silhouetted in the doorway is none other than Bunnie.

Ahem...

CALLED IT!

Now, onto the other half of this. Again, for the uninformed, 'What Could Have Been' is a trope that describes fans wondering about what a series would have been like if those in control of it didn't act like a bunch of fucktarts. 

Normally, this relates to early concepts leaked by the creators later on, but here, we're just thinking better ideas up for ourselves.  has an epic rewrite of 230, and is also starting something in a similar vein from 235-6. I myself have ripped this arc apart and written endings for it that work better than what we're likely to get, counting the HISHES and Alterniverses, seven times. Seven.  has created one that was turned into a full story by someone else. We all do it.

So, here's my latest thought, as to how this arc could have been better:

THe comic has three plots at the moment:

1) Mecha Sally
2) King Naugus
3) Silver's Traitor

Silver's Traitor is an underlying subplot, so let's focus on the other two. Flynn has chosen Mecha Sally to be the A-plot for his two year story, and as we all know, it doesn't really have the potential to be a good, well-written, solid story, not for two years anyway. Fallen hero stories are normally shorter, simply to avoid continuity lockouts and keep the status quo, and this is the way they should be. We don't care if the evil version is really cool or not. Get them back to normal and in-character again so we can read about the characters we know and love, and not some cliche villain with a hero's face (CoughSallyCoughGeoffreyCoughFionaCough). 

Meanwhil, we're mostly ignoring the King Naugus plot, which, in my opinion is a huge fuckup. If there's any story listed here that has the potential to be a two year plot, it's the takeover of the heroes' home by one of their strongest villains. This story has the potential to be epic. This should be the A plot. Hell, you could still do Mecha Sally, but have it end faster:

FIrst year: 
Sally's robotization.
Rotor's abdication.
Naugus' takeover, and steady removal of the council's power, all the while brainwashing them into being mindless servants anyway.
The Acorn family leave quietly in the middle of the night.
Nicole's exile.
Bunnie's limbs being encased in crystal for trying to stop Naugus, leaving her paralyzed.
Antoine being badly injured, and forced to stay on the sidelines while protecting Bunnie from Metal Sonic, who doesn't explode, but rather is taken over by Nicole.
Amadeus' reconciliation with Tails still happens, because it's the only good scene in the official story.
Nicole's Metal and wreckage of 2.0 are used by Rotor to make Shard.
The Secret FF are formed.
Sonic, Tails, and Nicole depart to try and save Sally.
Geoffrey attempts to defect, but it caught by the council and imprisoned.
Naugus' body and mind stat to seperate into the three mages after the Genesis Wave.
In desperation, Naugus takes over Geoffrey's body.
Sonic fights Mecha Sally, while Tails and Nicole hack into her, and free her.
The FF reunite.
Naugus-as-Geoffrey reveals himself to the council, citing the slow death of his old body and Geoffrey's betrayal as justification. The council are brainwashed, so they accept.
Eggman allows Snively to rescue the Iron Queen, planning to use her to regain control of Sally.
Naugus targets the Freedom FIghters, trying to turn the people against them through the fact that they are protecting Nicole, claiming that Nicole is brainwashed and Mecha Sally is a fake.
Some, still under Naugus' control, agree, others don't.

Second year:

The Death Egg attacks Angel Island, hoping to draw out the FF and allow Eggman to steal the Master Emerald.
The Freedom Fighters go to stop it. Most of them are held off by Team Metal, including Neo Metal Sonic.
During the fight, Regina manages to gain control of Sally.
Eggman manages to get his hands on the Master Emerald.
The threat of losing Sally again and the close proximity to the Emerald give Archie's Sonic his first Negative Super Form.
Dark/Darkspine/Super Sonic destroys most of Team Metal and the Death Egg's engines, forcing Eggman, Snively, and Regina to flee, freeing Sally as well. Dark/Darkspine/Super Sonic uses the Master Emerald to warp them all back to Angel Island. He then teleports the FF home, and uses his powers to heal Antoine, and break the crystal on Bunnie's limbs, putting them back in the fight, before he powers down.
Eggman, Snively, and Regina launch the Air Fleet against the city, and Regina takes over the nanites. The people panic, and Amadeus points out that this wouldn't be the case if Nicole was there to protect the nanites, and the peoples' own eagerness to be rid of her caused this.
A huge battle breaks out, which lasts for several issues.
Geoffrey is freed.
Nicole regains control of the city, and uses the nanites to destroy what remains of the armies.
The council are freed from Naugus' control.
Eggman's mech is destroyed, and he is captured. Regina is helpless without tech to control, and is caught too. Snively runs away, planning anew.
Naugus is captured as well. He is forced to deroboticize Sallym and then carted off the prison with Eggman and Regina.
Elias is reinstated.
On board the crashed Death Egg, Neo Metal Sonic's optics light up, and it announces that it will become the ultimate Overlord.

Doesn't that sound better?

Edited by bwrosas

1. The length of the story arc.  Now before any of you bring out your pitchforks, let me explain.  Now some of you might enjoy and are enjoying Ian's current story arc and believe it's the best thing going today.  However as many of you know, there are others that feel that the length of this story arc has become way too much for Ian Flynn to handle.  And that his best strengths when it comes to writing a story arc is writing a story arc at the length of 4 – 6 issues at most, not a near if not over a two-year arc.  Now don't get me wrong, I think it's very ambitious of Ian to want to try this and possibly show that even a comic book based on the Sonic franchise could hold a very long story arc like those you see in several Marvel and DC comics.

Mmm I don't think it's the length of the strips that get me as much as all the things that are going on at once. Right now there are many loose ends that need attention. I mean we only just now are getting back to Thrash, and Mighty and Ray and from what I hear Bunnie soon as well. Don't get me wrong I like that Ian is utilizing the many characters that normally don't get the spotlight but still, I think he leaves a loose end every time he ties one.

Examples:

Remember when Mecha Sally attacked Khan? Remember how upset he was to discover what had happened to her? Didn't you think that, I don't know, he'd do something about it? Even without his crown? At the very least make some attempt to contact Sonic and figure what the heck it happening and to check if Sonic is making any progress to Sally's rescue? Something!

Also, in the same arc, Snivley got imprisoned by Eggman and Regina was duped into believing a robot version of Snivley was the real one. So... has she come even close to discovering she's been taken for a fool? 

Going back some more the Scourge arc, Scourge has escaped from Zone jail, and has a new gang of baddies to work with. He also has "plans" for Mobius. All right, how's that coming along?  

Treasure Team Tango arc, Blaze the Cat was collecting Sol Emeralds to save her dimension. How's that going? Also Nega had escaped Zone Jail and was loose. Where is he? What's he up to? 

There are many other things I could list but these were some of the bigger ones that have been nagging at me and, near as I can tell, show now signs of being answered anytime soon. 

Edited by Rally the Cheetah

I feel like Thrash is such a distraction from the main plot from the past 15 or so issues.

Everything had a vibe about Sonic & Friends saving Sally, and then Thrash shows up and becomes the focus on the final arc before 250? I was turned off by it. I feel like this arc could've happened at a better time, maybe the arc after 250's, but hopefully this arc will close with Sally in some way.

Just a small little spoiler/heads-up;

For Sonic Super Special Magazine #6, if you're anticipating what was said in the solicit,

don't. The content has been changed to reflect more on the Iron Dominion arc, with bits from the Thicker Than Water (aka the Sonic and Bunnie 2-parter in #217-218) and...a story from #12.

Edit: Also it apparently somewhat censors Mobius and Dark Egg Legion as terms. And Lien-Da.

Edited by VEDJ-F

Because they want to be more in line with the games?

Who knows...

Seems a bit of a daft move, though. I suppose they said post-Genesis stuff would be different to what Archie had been before, but to entirely censor "Mobius"? Really?!

Because they want to be more in line with the games?

Who knows...

Seems a bit of a daft move, though. I suppose they said post-Genesis stuff would be different to what Archie had been before, but to entirely censor "Mobius"? Really?!

Censoring 'Mobius' is on the same line as censoring 'Robotnik', you just don't do it. Even in Generations they used 'Robotnik' in the English version.

Not quite. Robotnik has been recognised as an official name for Eggman since the internationalisation of the franchise in Sonic Adventure, whereas Mobius has never been used outside of some old 'extra' game material for the Western media. Still, shouldn't have any bearing on it's use in the comic where that is terminology.

So what? Are they going to stick to calling the anthros "mobians"? Or call them something else?

Kinda hard to censor something when it carries onto something else unless they have a solution for this.

Apparently they're still called Mobians within the reprints in this very same magazine.

Terminology confusion ho!

So what? Are they going to stick to calling the anthros "mobians"? Or call them something else?

Hm, would "Earthicans" suffice?

I really appreciate the book for being the last relic of the various "western" canons, if Archie becomes a place to export bad adaptations and tell stories in thin Sega guideline margins, I will lose a lot of interest. Just sayin'. Most casual Sonic fans still refer to Sonic's planet as Mobius. Sonic's in-game stories are freakin' boring. Ian Flynn is also only decent at creating original characters. His best work has been shuffling the universe as we know it. Maybe it's time for two writers on this book? Also, fuck Ken Penders.