Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

The question is that Shard now looks completely different from what Metal Sonic actually is, so SEGA is saying "you can't call that Metal Sonic, it doesn't look like Metal Sonic!"

And the other available name was, well, Mecha Sonic. And it's what he introduced himself as in Sonic 25 anyway.

• Thumbs Up 4

Uhhhh Elseb, you sure you want to buy it? It's all Penders stuff that's early on and it's not like it's a Superman no 1 comic or anything.

Last I checked, Penders wasn't involved in the first issue. Earliest I remember him being around was during 1997's Endgame arc.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Last I checked, Penders wasn't involved in the first issue. Earliest I remember him being around was during 1997's Endgame arc.

I think his first story involvement was StH#10. He certainly hasn't been there from the very beginning, but he's definitely been involved for a massive chunk of the early stuff. 

Edited by VEDJ-F

Lol Mecha Sally is like a Metal Sonic that Sonic is too afraid to fight.  I really wanted her to fuck shit up. Be something to write home about.  But honestly the only reason why she hasn't been defeated is because everyone is using kids gloves.

So now Sonic and Tails can't talk to or about their parents?  Okay this is really starting to reek of bullshit.

Edited by Dejablue
  • Thumbs Up 2

It seems a strech that Sega would mandate that Shard be refered to as Mecha Sonic when in the game canon Mecha Sonic is supposedly to be refering to the Sonic 2 "Silver Sonic." It just makes it more confusing having both a Metal and Mecha Sonic in the name pool at once.

The game's Mecha Sonic hasn't been seen since a cameo in Adventure.

Metal Sonic, meanwhile, has had a rise in notability.

Ian specifically said the namechange was due to SEGA notes on how to use Metal Sonic.

2+2+2+2+2= Most likely hypothesis being that SEGA went "Shard is not Metal Sonic so stop calling him Metal Sonic", not "Please call Shard Mecha Sonic". It doesn't matter what Shard is, as long as it isn't Metal Sonic.

The game's Mecha Sonic hasn't been seen since a cameo in Adventure.

Metal Sonic, meanwhile, has had a rise in notability.

Ian specifically said the namechange was due to SEGA notes on how to use Metal Sonic.

2+2+2+2+2= Most likely hypothesis being that SEGA went "Shard is not Metal Sonic so stop calling him Metal Sonic", not "Please call Shard Mecha Sonic". It doesn't matter what Shard is, as long as it isn't Metal Sonic.

Oh it's used in that context? Just when referencing his past self? I haven't read the issue yet so I wouldn't know. At the end of the day just call him Shard and be done with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think his first story involvement was StH#10. He certainly hasn't been there from the very beginning, but he's definitely been involved for a massive chunk of the early stuff. 

Close. Penders first story appeared in issue#11.

Ah, okay. I knew it was somewhere just before Knuckles' debut, just not sure specifically.

On a different note

Ian's revealed that the Krudzu Hybrid Hydra and Shard weren't meant to be in the Endangered Species arc originally. This makes sense considering the cover change of #245.

Edited by VEDJ-F

It's kinda sad to see what Archie has become, but it isn't their fault, at least. Maybe there will be less confusing plots and less out of character moments like Sonic crying and Tails going into a jealous rage over a girl.

Maybe there will be less confusing plots and less out of character moments like Sonic crying and Tails going into a jealous rage over a girl.

ಠ_ಠ

Seriously? You're really going to go there? In spite of all the narrative reasons they have that actually justify them having those so called "OOC moments"?

Or do I need to pick apart everything wrong in that sentence by going through the comic archives and various overall literary moments and characterizations just to show just how ridiculous that statement is?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

You'd be wasting your time. Already been discussed throughout the 520 pages of this topic and already verified there's quite a base who see it too.

ಠ_ಠ

Seriously? You're really going to go there? In spite of all the narrative reasons they have that actually justify them having those so called "OOC moments"?

Or do I need to pick apart everything wrong in that sentence by going through the comic archives and various overall literary moments and characterizations just to show just how ridiculous that statement is?

Hey, I had a similar argument on another forum, there are just people out there who just feel that the comic doesn't portray the characters the way they feel they should be. 

Mogtaki, I'm interested tho, why do you feel that way?

I have to admit I am a little disappointed with this arc. It would have been nice if Ian had written off some of the cast properly instead of a quick arc like this.

At the same time I'm quite glad that Sega are coming in and setting some ground rules. A lot of the characters Penders created don't have much use anymore and whilst Lein Da was starting to see some development I don't think she's one of the best villains in the comic and therefore can be easily replaced. It'll be interesting to see what happens in terms of Geoffrey. 

As for the idea they've got to get Sally de-robotisized- not buying it. It may be something that could actually work quite well but at the same time- I actually don't get how it all fits together. 

As for the characters acting OOC- at times I believe they do but for the most part (at least since Ian has come on board) I believe they have stayed well in character.

Hey, I had a similar argument on another forum, there are just people out there who just feel that the comic doesn't portray the characters the way they feel they should be. 

Mogtaki, I'm interested tho, why do you feel that way?

As an outsider to the comic and told to read from a certain spot, I couldn't understand the characters I've grown up with sometimes because they just seemed so...just not like themselves. I didn't mind Eggman, he was extremely OOC but it was from a different Robotnik in the first place, so I guess that's excusable until Sega probably change him as well.

Sonic didn't feel like Sonic, he's well known for not wanting to stop and want adventure and what not but him seeking relationships with essentially fandom characters, it was weird. It was a horrible case with Knuckles and that female-Knuckles, but thankfully she's gone now.

As someone new to the comics, not someone like you or others from the US who have grown up with it, the whole thing was just off-putting as it all turned into a soap opera like Coronation Street in the UK. Vibrating molecules...well okay, Sonic, you do that vibrator-thing you're doing that you probably don't understand cause you are supposed to be the kind of guy who falls asleep during science talk.

It just didn't feel right. Maybe I'm alright with Sega changing a lot in Archie as the hive-mind moves in to make it more orientated with SegaSonic. While I like what they did with Mighty since he's a character who's sorely missed in the series, the ones I've grown up with just feel out of character. Eggman in Archie is aware of women's rights since he is labelled a feminist by Sega, right...? He's supposed to be a gentleman too according to Sega, it's why I love his character.

Ech, forgot to proof-read...

Edited by Mogtaki
  • Thumbs Up 2

Eggman in Archie is aware of women's rights since he is labelled a feminist by Sega, right...? He's supposed to be a gentleman too according to Sega, it's why I love his character.

Ech, forgot to proof-read...

Well to be fair, has ANY era of Eggman ever actually capitalized/shown this particular trait? I just see it as an informed trait more than anything else; an attempt by SEGA to give their characters more depth, but don't actually do anything to SHOW this trait's actual existence. That, or Eggman in-universe just THINKS he's these things, being the narcissistic egomaniac he is.

• Thumbs Up 1

It was a horrible case with Knuckles and that female-Knuckles, but thankfully she's gone now.

:(

Oh Julie-Su, I wish we could've seen more of you.

:(

Oh Julie-Su, I wish we could've seen more of you.

At least she isn't around to get worse amirite?

On a real tip, Julie-Su's entire run just felt so wasted because it felt like none of the authors knew just what the hell to do with her beyond giving Knuckles someone to hook up with. It's sad really

Hard to believe the crossover is creeping up on us already now that's March. Though with the echidna drama and anti-climatic Endangered Species arc, it kind of makes me wish it'd be sooner than next month.

So, I've got a question to ask. What kind of things are you wanting to see or want to happen?

For me personally, it has to be character interactions. Ian's already shown to write some good dialouge for both series so just imaging how each MM and Sonic character getting along is something to find intrigue. Whether it's Eggman and Wily or Sonic and Rock (you know, after their little scuffle), I'm still excited as all hell for this.

Yea, I think Ian's strengths are in his characters and dialogue than his storytelling but that's just me :P so yea, count me on for character interactions.

I'm also glad that Ben Bates is coming back since he confirmed via Deviantart that he'll be pencilling some issues for it. It's likely he'll be covering Act 3 with Jamal Peppers doing Act 1 and Yardley doing Act 2.

His style fits so well for both series.

You'd be wasting your time. Already been discussed throughout the 520 pages of this topic and already verified there's quite a base who see it too.

I've wasted my time arguing over Knuckles and the Master Emerald since 2005 and still haven't let up. You really think I'm gonna care about that? :P

Regardless, that base would do well to know more about characterization, because it isn't something static where characters are restricted to a select number of emotions and are not allowed to have any others. Especially on a long running series that spans 2 decades, because you can only go so far with the same thing before it gets stale.

At least she isn't around to get worse amirite?

On a real tip, Julie-Su's entire run just felt so wasted because it felt like none of the authors knew just what the hell to do with her beyond giving Knuckles someone to hook up with. It's sad really

I really can't disagree with this. I've always liked Julie-Su but have always thought in the back of my mind that she was around just for the sake of being around. :(

This crossover is just what Knuckles needs to break up a looming melodrama of withdrawal that he'll inevitably fall back into considering the situation of his race.

Butting heads with some other Ego's and matching wits with a new threat could be just what he needs to get back into his old groove. So I'm looking forward to how he deals with the new squad coming to town.