Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Hey guys, got Sonic Saga series volume 2 today. It has the complete "Order from Chaos" storyline and selections from STH 168 -172. Its quite good really, I finally got a copy of the "I Am" story. It doesn't show Antoine proposing though, that'll be the next one.

Is anyone annoyed that they just shrugged off the Sonic Underground Epilogue for Sonic Universe 50? I mean it wasn't really necessary but it got me excited to know there was going to be some sort of closure to it. I wonder if we will ever get it now. Even though im super pumped for the Megaman arc, if we did get Underground it would definitely be after that and that leaves me to wonder if we will even get it at all at this point, being a one off and all.

What do you guys think?

Don't really care. Having both Shard and Metal Sonic fight seems more of a better way to celebrate the 50th milestone IMO. People would've bitched about it being one issue anyway. 

To be fair, Shard at this point is more of his own character and is Metal Sonic in name only, so it's that big of a deal.

But its the fact that SEGA got pissy about that is what bothers me. its something soo small and yes Shard is his own character now, but its that he was calling himself "A former Metal Sonic" that SEGA had to crack down and put a mandate on that.

Its like they will get ticked off over anything at this point. 

Seems to me you're projecting. Who said they're ticked off? They simply have a specific trademark and character named Metal Sonic, and Shard does not correspond with it. It's like if Sonic was going around saying "I'm Sonic the Miles "Tails" Prower!"

• Thumbs Up 1

But its the fact that SEGA got pissy about that is what bothers me. its something soo small and yes Shard is his own character now, but its that he was calling himself "A former Metal Sonic" that SEGA had to crack down and put a mandate on that.

Its like they will get ticked off over anything at this point. 

Because as Harlock pointed out, Metal Sonic is a trademark character and Shard isn't him. And and who says Sega are "pissy" if the book doesn't portray their own trade marketed characters the way they feel should be portrayed then they have a right to mandate, hell it's because of those mandates Sonic isn't called "maurice" anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok maybe not pissy but it just seems soo petty to do that. who gives a real fuck if Shard is reffering to his past as a Metal Sonic? its not like hes Metal Sonic now so its not damaging the portral of the trade marketed character itself.

To me, it just seems that they are giving any reason to mandate points in the comic now. Thanks to Ian the characters seems allot more like their game 'selves now, don't see a real point to say "no you can't" to petty stuff.

If it doesn't matter, why are you complaining about it?

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge

Shame, was kinda looking forward to the Epilogue.

I presume they'll pick it back up after Worlds Collide. Since it's increasingly standard that there can be one-shot stories now.

They'll probably do two more one-shots, then release a trade with them all. "Sonic Universe Anthology Trade"

Speaking of which, I just got SU #50 in the mail, so let the spoiling commence!

The issue begins with a flashback to Shard taking out Metal during the attack on Mobotropolis in StH #240. Cut to the present where Eggy is watching footage of the end of that particular battle where Shard taunts his fallen "brother." He realizes that even though he kept free-thinking out of Metal's system to keep him from turning out like Shard, it appears that that's JUST the advantage that the rogue Mecha Sonic has over his newer model. He downloads all of Metal's previous battle data into his last Power Gem and installs it into his newly rebuilt body. Metal Version 3.7 awakens with a new voice codec (Eggy notes that "that "silent killer" schtick was getting old!") and surmises that his multiple defeats are not acceptable. Eggy says that they were all a part of the scientific process and tells him that now not only does he have more power than ever, but the free will to use it to its potential. Metal proposes destroying Sonic, but Eggy nixes him on that and says that his first target is Shard. Metal starts to refuse on the grounds that Shard isn't the target that he was built to destroy, but a new soft-reboot defiance kill-switch that Eggy installed quickly changes his mind on the matter and he leaves to his mission. Elsewhere, Team Fighters are making their way to the arctic when Sonic and Tails chat about how much things suck for Knux now and whether they should trust a robot who's still figuring out if he's a good guy or a bad guy. Speaking of, cut to Shard, who's having a rousing game of chess with Nicole in cyberspace. (With lasers!) Nicole questions why he's come to visit her so often on the digital plane when there's a whole physical world for him to enjoy, but Shard says that he can't exactly socialize much, being a killer robot and all, and that he's not ready to come out about his fate to the citizens. Nicole disagrees, arguing that he's proven himself a brave and selfless ally and brings up that she was in a similar situation, but the citizens grew to accept and forgive her. Shard argues that she had lifelong friends like Sonic to vouch for her when all he's got is Sonic telling everyone about the times that he's almost killed him. Suddenly, their chat is interrupted when Nicole senses an attack on Mobotropolis by someone who was able to get through her defenses. Shard asks where it is, what it is, and how quickly he can blow it up when she reveals that it's Metal and he's headed right for the hospital. Shard flies to Antoine's room at the facility to see Metal grasping Ant's comatose form. Shard demands that they take this fight outside, but Metal refuses, stating that his last objective to eliminate Ant hasn't been fulfilled yet. Shard eventually convinces him to fight by stating that there's no challenge in beating up someone who isn't even conscious when a bigger, speedier, deadlier fight is standing right in front of him. They fly out to the Great Wastes and begin their battle, Metal using his battle data from previous defeats (Such as in SU #1 and the 2007 FCBD issue) to counter every one of Shard's attacks. Eventually, Metal forces him to the ground and grasps his frazzled form, raising another claw to finish the job. Shard tries to convince him that he can be more than a weapon and that there's more to life than just "Priority one, Hedgehog." Suddenly, Metal recalls Shadow's very similar speech to him in SU #1 about being more than Eggman's tool of destruction and lowers his arm. However, that brief spark of humanity is quickly snuffed out as Eggy's soft reset goes into effect and he resumes his mission. Shard realizes that Eggman robbed him of his potential for good and uses his auto-repaired cannon to blast Metal away, freeing him from his clutches. Shard then forms his arm into a drill and takes aim at Metal's downed body. However, this attack is quickly ceased when Metal realizes that Shard's adaptive arm is an advantage and forms a shield around it, ripping it off. With his weapon removed, Shard decides to use a last ditch tactic and flies into Metal, trying to get at his Power Gem. He fails and they eventually crash into the ground. Metal then realizes that his Gem is at risk and self destructs it, blowing up his current body and engulfing Shard in the explosion. An extremely damaged Shard informs Nicole that Metal was neutralized and he needs emergency pick-up at the Great Wastes. Nicole tells him that she's sending agents and he tells her to warn them that Metal was more dangerous than usual and Eggy will definitely attempt to rebuild him. Shard's voice eventually statics out and the scene ends on a closeup of his newly cracked Power Gem core. Back to Eggy and friends, Metal is rebuilt good as new (Cubot losing a bet with Orbot that he'd last longer than the others.) and he informs Eggman that the Power Gem cores were lost. Eggy says that while this experiment met with mixed results, he's still impressed with his newest metallic hedgehog variation. Metal offers to mount another assault on New Mobotropolis, but Eggy nixes his suggestion, saying that Tails Doll will handle things there. He offers to eliminate Sonic, but Eggy once again denies him, saying that he has BIGGER plans in mind and tells him to report to the interdimensional gateway. "You're going to meet your new partner. A

BASE villain like yourself! You'll like him!" Metal accepts his mission, but Eggman tells him not to pout about not getting to destroy his nemesis. "You are now perfected! You now THINK as viciously as you ATTACK. You are my undying, heartless weapon of misery and despair! How do you like THAT?" Metal walks away to begin his mission. "Mission objective is acceptable. ALL will pay." The issue ends. There's also a reprinted ending from StH #25 (Yep, not even the whole issue.) and a humorous Off-Panel strip celebrating the book's 50th.

Edited by CC14 the Vipester
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh my god, this sounds exactly like the Metal Sonic I've been waiting for. THANK YOU FOR STOPPING WITH THE BORING MUTE, IAN.

So, Eggy's referring to Bass is he?

Question, was this right timeframe for Ian Flynn to do the Death Egg MK II/World Tour 2/Mecha Sally Story Arc?

TGIF everybody,

This morning I asked this question using another form of communication.  And the question I asked is this, "Was this past year and a half the best timeframe for this Mecha Sally story arc?"  Which also goes by some other names as well, MK II, and World Tour 2.  I asked this question because with everything that has gone on recently and with the recent behind-the-scenes footage/information given to us by an anonymous source at Tumbler, it begs the question if this was the right time for Ian Flynn to do this story arc?

Now some may argue and side with Ian and say that it's not his fault that all of this BS has come down upon the comic.  And believe it or not their probably correct.  However others would say that Ian Flynn, if he knew what was going on behind the scenes in any kind of capacity, that perhaps he should have waited until all of this was settled behind the scenes.  And you know what, I'm one of them.

(Now I do understand, that there will be people when they read this, they will say that I don't have a right to talk about this, because I have yet to read an issue during this entire story arc.  And their correct.  But just because I said I wouldn't read, doesn't mean I said I wouldn't be involved.)
  Anyway getting back on topic, in my own personal opinion, I feel and I know I'm not the only one that feels this way, but I feel that if Ian Flynn knew about the lawsuit and everything going on behind the scenes, that perhaps he should've held off on doing this story arc til it all was settled.  

And I want to make something perfectly clear, as I say this, this has nothing to do with what Ian Flynn did to Sally or the Saturday morning characters.  It has nothing to do with that.  What I'm trying to say here, is if Ian had any idea of what was going on outside the comics, that perhaps he would've held off doing this arc until further notice.  

What I mean is, he could have still done this arc, but after the lawsuits and settlement were taken care of.  That way he wouldn't have no interruptions and he could have wrote the story arc as he originally intended it to be.

You may ask, what will or would he do/have done if he done that?  Very simple.  Some of the stories that he has done during the main comic as well as in universe could still have been done, without interruption.  For example, his "Endangered Species" sub arc, could have been done as the first post Genesis story.  Or even as a story that began in 225 and ended around 229 and then he could have used 230, as the Olympic tie-in issue.  Also he could've started Genesis around 231, that way he could still do the same story and still get the climax that he originally intended for 230.  Basically by doing what I just said, Ian Flynn would have saved himself,  the staff working on the comic,  and the fans all of this BS that is going on behind the scenes, it would've saved us/him/and the comic staff a lot of trouble, as well as a lot of editing.

As far as the crossover goes, he still could have done that right after Genesis, and still probably get the same affect that he's planning for , with it currently coming out in the next few weeks.  Then as far as the Sally arc if you will, Ian Flynn could do what he's doing for the crossover and go back and forth between the main comic and the universe comic.  And the positive behind that, it would cause people to have to subscribe or individually buy the universe comic to see what was going to happen next in the attempts to save Sally.  True, it may condense it in some ways, but maybe not.

I want you to keep in mind, that this is just my opinion, and I don't know nor can I say if anybody else shares the same opinion or not.  But it goes to show you though, if Ian Flynn had any idea what was going to happen, even though he said it would not affect the book in anyway, I still feel he should have taken precaution, and had a backup plan in case something like this would happen.  

I know a lot of you will say that he had no idea what was going to happen, well even if that's true, someone should have suggested to him to have a backup plan and take precaution just in case something does happen.

Because when you look at the link that I will provide, courtesy of this anonymous behind the scenes source, you may or may not agree that perhaps putting some of the stories and subplots and sub arcs before this current story arc and even before Genesis, that perhaps he would've been able to write the story arc and his sub arcs the way he originally intended them to be.

That's all I'm going to say, you have the right to agree or not, but again these are just my opinions and that's all am going to say.

Friday, March 8, 2013.  Time 3:25 PM.

Edited by bwrosas

Hmm. Divided here after reading the spoilers.

He's got a personality and free will now, plus a soft reboot thing. Good.

He can speak now. Bad. I always liked him as a robot of few to no words.

Ohh. Its tempting to read spoilers but im going to wait. Mine should be on its way in the mail soon then too. Hopefully tomorrow! =D

Did anyone get a foil cover? Im still trying to find one. Might have to Ebay it.

But as for Underground maybe they might flesh it out into a 4 part Universe arc after Worlds Collide. I wouldn't mind that.

A little silly by Sega censoring that in my opinion but its not like I care too much either. Im just going to chalk it up to being for the greater good by keeping Sonic named Sonic and not Maurice like Ragna said.

Hmm. Divided here after reading the spoilers.

He's got a personality and free will now, plus a soft reboot thing. Good.

He can speak now. Bad. I always liked him as a robot of few to no words.

There is nothing wrong with changing the status quo in itself, and it's rather shallow to list talking as a bad thing on a once mute character.

In addition to that, it wouldn't be much of free will if Metal couldn't vocalize his objections beyond a simple yes or a no, and probably wouldn't be as effective without it.

Judge it for how it is changed, not because it is changed.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Uh, wait, so why did Ian say this about Metal Sonic?

"

A point I'd like to make from the get-go: SEGA was very direct in how they wanted Metal Sonic portrayed.  

I originally was going to move Metal Sonic in the direction the fans have been asking: more character, more menace, more dialogue.  However, SEGA's notes were to move him right back to the soulless, nearly mute version. 

I'm putting this out there because I was going to cater to the fans.  I heard you, I did, and I was going to act accordingly. But it's a licensed book, and I've got to portray the licensed characters as the license holder dictates.

So - sorry, gang.  My hands are tied.  Cold, menacing Metal Sonic is here to stay.

(I'll try to do something about the rotating door of Metal Sonic destruction, tho'!)"

Edit: The quote breaks in the spoiler for some reason.

Edit edit: A note about the SU#50 reprint of Go Ahead, Mecha My Day;

It's not a full reprint, just of parts 3 and 4. Also the ending is changed; the then Robotnik isn't crushed, the dialogue after is changed so that he instead says "No way, I can't believe this!"

Retroactive meme spotted.

Edited by VEDJ-F

Question, was this right timeframe for Ian Flynn to do the Death Egg MK II/World Tour 2/Mecha Sally Story Arc?

TGIF everybody,

This morning I asked this question using another form of communication.  And the question I asked is this, "Was this past year and a half the best timeframe for this Mecha Sally story arc?"  Which also goes by some other names as well, MK II, and World Tour 2.  I asked this question because with everything that has gone on recently and with the recent behind-the-scenes footage/information given to us by an anonymous source at Tumbler, it begs the question if this was the right time for Ian Flynn to do this story arc?

Now some may argue and side with Ian and say that it's not his fault that all of this BS has come down upon the comic.  And believe it or not their probably correct.  However others would say that Ian Flynn, if he knew what was going on behind the scenes in any kind of capacity, that perhaps he should have waited until all of this was settled behind the scenes.  And you know what, I'm one of them.

(Now I do understand, that there will be people when they read this, they will say that I don't have a right to talk about this, because I have yet to read an issue during this entire story arc.  And their correct.  But just because I said I wouldn't read, doesn't mean I said I wouldn't be involved.)
  Anyway getting back on topic, in my own personal opinion, I feel and I know I'm not the only one that feels this way, but I feel that if Ian Flynn knew about the lawsuit and everything going on behind the scenes, that perhaps he should've held off on doing this story arc til it all was settled.  

And I want to make something perfectly clear, as I say this, this has nothing to do with what Ian Flynn did to Sally or the Saturday morning characters.  It has nothing to do with that.  What I'm trying to say here, is if Ian had any idea of what was going on outside the comics, that perhaps he would've held off doing this arc until further notice.  

What I mean is, he could have still done this arc, but after the lawsuits and settlement were taken care of.  That way he wouldn't have no interruptions and he could have wrote the story arc as he originally intended it to be.

You may ask, what will or would he do/have done if he done that?  Very simple.  Some of the stories that he has done during the main comic as well as in universe could still have been done, without interruption.  For example, his "Endangered Species" sub arc, could have been done as the first post Genesis story.  Or even as a story that began in 225 and ended around 229 and then he could have used 230, as the Olympic tie-in issue.  Also he could've started Genesis around 231, that way he could still do the same story and still get the climax that he originally intended for 230.  Basically by doing what I just said, Ian Flynn would have saved himself,  the staff working on the comic,  and the fans all of this BS that is going on behind the scenes, it would've saved us/him/and the comic staff a lot of trouble, as well as a lot of editing.

As far as the crossover goes, he still could have done that right after Genesis, and still probably get the same affect that he's planning for , with it currently coming out in the next few weeks.  Then as far as the Sally arc if you will, Ian Flynn could do what he's doing for the crossover and go back and forth between the main comic and the universe comic.  And the positive behind that, it would cause people to have to subscribe or individually buy the universe comic to see what was going to happen next in the attempts to save Sally.  True, it may condense it in some ways, but maybe not.

I want you to keep in mind, that this is just my opinion, and I don't know nor can I say if anybody else shares the same opinion or not.  But it goes to show you though, if Ian Flynn had any idea what was going to happen, even though he said it would not affect the book in anyway, I still feel he should have taken precaution, and had a backup plan in case something like this would happen.  

I know a lot of you will say that he had no idea what was going to happen, well even if that's true, someone should have suggested to him to have a backup plan and take precaution just in case something does happen.

Because when you look at the link that I will provide, courtesy of this anonymous behind the scenes source, you may or may not agree that perhaps putting some of the stories and subplots and sub arcs before this current story arc and even before Genesis, that perhaps he would've been able to write the story arc and his sub arcs the way he originally intended them to be.

That's all I'm going to say, you have the right to agree or not, but again these are just my opinions and that's all am going to say.

Friday, March 8, 2013.  Time 3:25 PM.

You have absolutely NO idea how the comic's industry works, do you? You can't "just put the story off" Tracey Yardley (It is still Tracey that does the art right?), would have drawn those pages weeks in advance!

Imagine you wrote a 500 page report and then your boss says "Oh, we don't need that any more, we actually need a different 500 page report and I need it on my desk tomorrow", you'd be pissed wouldn't you?

Tracey, as far as I know, has to draw, ink, colour AND letter the book that shit takes ages you can't just "Put it off". It doesn't work like that.

---

You know, I can't help but feel that the comic has went somewhat down hill recently. Ian used to churn out some genuinely fun and complex stories where characters went through genuine development. Tails being conflicted between his "real" family who he hardly knows and the family who took him in (the Hedgehogs) and the friends who raised him (the Freedom Fighters) was BRILLIANT, seeing Sonic feel genuinely upset over pushing Robotnik over the edge remains my favourite story line. 

I don't think it's Ian's fault because he's still a good writer and he's still delivering fun stories...they just aren't as interesting as they used to be. 

There is nothing wrong with changing the status quo in itself, and it's rather shallow to list talking as a bad thing on a once mute character.

In addition to that, it wouldn't be much of free will if Metal couldn't vocalize his objections beyond a simple yes or a no, and probably wouldn't be as effective without it.

Judge it for how it is changed, not because it is changed.

I agree there's nothing wrong with change, or changing the status quo, but I don't see how it is shallow to list talking as a bad thing on a mute character when the fact the character was mute was one of the things I liked the most. I trust Ian will do it right and not have Metal Sonic return to his "The Good, The Bad, and the Hedgehog" days of NOT SHUTTING UP, mostly because SEGA is reeling him in (thank you based SEGA), and I trust when I read the issue it'll work better, but right now I'm iffy.

Also refuse your point about him needing a voice to show personality and character and free will. Famous characters of the past, from Wile E Coyote to R2-D2 to Chaplin did fine without a voice; it just means working a bit more on body language. It means instead of saying no, he can perhaps stand completely still, leading to a prompt from Eggman of "Eh, why don't you work? Are you denying?"

This sounds better than I expected.

Shard shaping up to be a pretty decent character and another tease to Worlds Collide with the 'base' (Bass) comment at the end, he and Metal will definitely be wrecking shit up in Sonic and Mega Man's worlds during the crossover.

As for Metal Sonic speaking, I'm neutral. Doesn't matter to me if he speaks or not. I can get more behind the cold, silent type of him since it does add to his whole menace factor, but don't really oppose to giving him some semblance of using speech every now and then. I'm just glad he didn't get blown up like his predecessors like Ian promised as well as Shard not getting killed off since he seems to be a great character so far.

Edited by DarkLight

Seeing all these spoiled posts makes me really really wish I had a subscription so I could get the issues as quickly.

SU 50 will be neat to read when I get it. We've seen the hilarious awkward that ensued when Sonic met Shard, now we'll see what happens when Eggman actually sends a Metal after him specifically.

Seeing all these spoiled posts makes me really really wish I had a subscription so I could get the issues as quickly.

SU 50 will be neat to read when I get it. We've seen the hilarious awkward that ensued when Sonic met Shard, now we'll see what happens when Eggman actually sends a Metal after him specifically.

I renewed my subscription awhile back and have yet to recieve my first issue of it yet. Even while I had an active subscription my copies usually arrived later than most people on this forum. Hoping I get SU50 soon as it sounds like a good read.

I renewed my subscription awhile back and have yet to recieve my first issue of it yet. Even while I had an active subscription my copies usually arrived later than most people on this forum. Hoping I get SU50 soon as it sounds like a good read.

Well, generally subscribers get their issues first, which is what I was referring to.

Definitely looking forward to SU50. Maybe it can beat the last milestone in awesome levels. Maybe.

What I'm not looking forward to is trying to make sense of Worlds Collide. I've no interest in Megaman so will have to just wing it...

Finally got the final issue of Endagered Species. Due to the circumstances, it's unfortunate that what could have been a decent story turned into a rushed subpar story with barley any conclusion and nothing really gained, oh well.

Also got the final Chaotix Arc issue, and THAT was actually pretty good. Good story, nice characterization, funny dialogue, a satisfying conclusion. Good stuff.

Edited by Soniman