Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Seems more like Sega's finally allowing more use of him than normal...problem is it's still not enough, and it's a shame that the comics are making more use of him than the games have been.

Who knows, maybe this new development in the comics hints of what Sega intend to do with his character in future game appearances.

It would make sense at least, using the comics as a sort of dummy run for this kinda stuff.

Who knows, maybe this new development in the comics hints of what Sega intend to do with his character in future game appearances.

It would make sense at least, using the comics as a sort of dummy run for this kinda stuff.

I really hope that Metal Sonic doesn't start exploding every few seconds in the games too.

• Thumbs Up 6

Yeah it was a bit of a letdown. I think Flynn had a really epic arc planned out and then... this happened.

Hence my question of whether Flynn actually intended Thrash to go down this route or he quickly rewrote his entire character to make it all fit.

But he's said he has plenty of plans beyond this, so it's really just a bump in the road. We can look forward to other stories at least. smile.png

Somehow I doubt he wanted Thrash to be a villain like this. He likely got a memo stating something like, " you can't you all these characters and have X time to come up with some way to get rid of them or work around them. Have a nice day."  Though he maybe the writer there are still parameters he can't leave and throwing this on top of that, well, yeah that had to hurt. Also, many of these stories are planned months in advance, hence why there was one that cover with the Chaotix and Rob-o-hedge on it; Rob was originally gonna be in the story... So Ian had to change things, fast, that means scrapping and/or rewriting months worth of work. Considering he's balancing 2 arcs, yeah, I can only imagine the headache. 

Overall I feel for Flynn and all the crud he has to go through as a writer. I can sorta understand because my mother works as an inker for an online Dick Tracy Comic. Now these comics are just strips but still the hoops the writer has to go through... She's constantly telling my about how much research is done on the characters by the writer (things like the location of various characters and which villains died and which ones could potentially be brought back) and how some story lines and art had to be changed. Apparently some stories had to be altered because of the similarities it had to certain events on the news. Mom said that really threw a wrench in their machine. Suddenly new art had to be made and the whole story line had to be altered to accommodate the change. 

If it was that tricky to change a strip comic I can only imagine how fun it was for Ian and crew to alter both the Sonic the Hedgehog comic story AND the Sonic Universe one. Actually, it was pretty lucky he had the Chaotix in Mercia in only the beginning of the arc, meant he likely only had to re-write the first part a bit and not the whole thing. Also it wasn't too much of a change really, he likely just had to replace Rob for Bow the Sparrow and, to make it work more smoothly, mention that Rob is in hiding so folks don't ask why the heck Bow is there instead of Rob.  That's also probably why the Sonic Universe Chaotix Quest seems, IMO, better written than the Sonic the Hedgehog Endangered Species. Getting rid of one character, especially one that doesn't play a vital role, is a lot easier than finding some way to explain the disappearance of an entire race. 

I like how some are thinking that Shard is going to die giving how SU #50 ends. I honestly don't since there's clearly a lot going for him with the whole 'wanting a place amongst society and being accepted despite being a living weapon,'  and he's pretty much become a popular character overtime. Considering how prominent he's been in the comic, it'd really suck to just kill him off just when he had some development. Obviously we won't really know until after the crossover, but I highly doubt Shard will die at this point and time.

Edited by DarkLight

it's a shame that the comics are making more use of him than the games have been.

Well, it makes sense. It takes less effort to produce a comic than a game, and with how paper thin the stories of the games are, characterisation is almost exclusively the domain of the expanded universe now. We get 28-42 30-page books in the time it takes for a single title to come out... logically there's more wriggle room for Archie. Sega has to decide from dozens of characters who to pack into one or two hours worth of cutscenes.

Kind of tragic, actually.

Somehow I doubt he wanted Thrash to be a villain like this. He likely got a memo stating something like, " you can't you all these characters and have X time to come up with some way to get rid of them or work around them. Have a nice day."  Though he maybe the writer there are still parameters he can't leave and throwing this on top of that, well, yeah that had to hurt. Also, many of these stories are planned months in advance, hence why there was one that cover with the Chaotix and Rob-o-hedge on it; Rob was originally gonna be in the story... So Ian had to change things, fast, that means scrapping and/or rewriting months worth of work. Considering he's balancing 2 arcs, yeah, I can only imagine the headache. 

Overall I feel for Flynn and all the crud he has to go through as a writer. I can sorta understand because my mother works as an inker for an online Dick Tracy Comic. Now these comics are just strips but still the hoops the writer has to go through... She's constantly telling my about how much research is done on the characters by the writer (things like the location of various characters and which villains died and which ones could potentially be brought back) and how some story lines and art had to be changed. Apparently some stories had to be altered because of the similarities it had to certain events on the news. Mom said that really threw a wrench in their machine. Suddenly new art had to be made and the whole story line had to be altered to accommodate the change. 

If it was that tricky to change a strip comic I can only imagine how fun it was for Ian and crew to alter both the Sonic the Hedgehog comic story AND the Sonic Universe one. Actually, it was pretty lucky he had the Chaotix in Mercia in only the beginning of the arc, meant he likely only had to re-write the first part a bit and not the whole thing. Also it wasn't too much of a change really, he likely just had to replace Rob for Bow the Sparrow and, to make it work more smoothly, mention that Rob is in hiding so folks don't ask why the heck Bow is there instead of Rob.  That's also probably why the Sonic Universe Chaotix Quest seems, IMO, better written than the Sonic the Hedgehog Endangered Species. Getting rid of one character, especially one that doesn't play a vital role, is a lot easier than finding some way to explain the disappearance of an entire race.

Yeah, can only imagine how painful it was. When you make the art and story months or even years before it actually sees the light of day, being told you have to suddenly change everything has got to be nightmarish. I feel for the artists who had to work overtime... but I guess this is a bonus to having more than one artist. Mr. Yardley really needed his break; I can't imagine the stress of 2 pages a day, and that's just the final drafts.

Fortunately Mr. Flynn has mentioned he has plenty of plans that won't conflict with Penders' legal shenanigans, so while it'll be a bit of a bumpy ride, I think we don't need to worry too much. If nothing else there's a silver lining here; it means more attention can be paid to the characters Penders didn't have claims on.

Well, it makes sense. It takes less effort to produce a comic than a game, and with how paper thin the stories of the games are, characterisation is almost exclusively the domain of the expanded universe now. We get 28-42 30-page books in the time it takes for a single title to come out... logically there's more wriggle room for Archie. Sega has to decide from dozens of characters who to pack into one or two hours worth of cutscenes.

Kind of tragic, actually.

I don't think that's a decent excuse when they made use of the other characters and even brought some of the Chaotix back while not using Metal in over a decade in the games tho...

They did it because It's Sonic CD's 20th Anniversey and the newer generation know like the character like that as well.

And here's something else you may find intruging, according to one fan and their unknown source, it's seems Ian's "Silver looking for the traitor" has/was/is for not, because there is no traitor, only assumption by histories who didn't get the all the facts straight.  Although another fan agrees with the, but also let's them know, that perhaps we aren't seeing it all yet.

Which would still not only pretty shitty and underwhelming, but also make Silver's whole quest a colassal waste if that were true despite all the build-up the sub-plot had since #195.

And before anyone brings up 'But what if Mogul was purposefully giving him false hints the whole time' theory, there really hasn't been any sort of clue or indication that Mogul is still bad in the future and even if there was, it would've been shown already like showing a panel Mogul scheming as soon as Silver leaves him or some sort. Could something like that still happen? Sure, but it would seem a little late to show any ulterior motive Mogul has had with Silver's time-travel shenaniggens is all I'm saying.

Well, remember the saying, history is through the eyes of the victors, you can never tell for sure how it turns out till you get to the end of it

Like I said about the FCBD issue, there's some context in the exchange between Sonic and Silver. Silver said he has been looking for a traitor that 'destroyed' the FF and doomed his future. He always assumed this traitor did it willingly. But given how the Secret FF arc ended, he finally realized that what he was looking for wasn't as clear-cut as he seemed. The traitor was an unwilling one, it changes everything for him and he's willing to help Sonic to restore Sally and hopefully save his future for good this time.

And Future Mogul never says there is a traitor, he only says that one of the founding member took action that destroyed the team.

So Sally's sacrifice in #230 was the beginning of Sally being robotiziced, the derobotization of Bunnie, Antoine in a coma, the death of the "Freedom Fighters",... So I don't know why it's such a disappointment for you guys...

And of course the mindless hate train know as the Anti Archie club has already started pointing fingers at Ian due to the whole No Traitor thing.

It makes sense, I just still think it would be incredibly boring if Sally ends up being the not-really-a-traitor traitor. It's been so painfully obvious from the start, it's like I'm craving a plot twist. I want any of the other characters besides Sally to cause the bad future. OR instead, a deroboticized Sally to do the thing that dooms everyone, not Mecha Sally.

I remember thinking a year or two ago how funny and awesome it would be if there was no real traitor and Silver got it wrong. Now that that it's actually coming up and it's a serious possibility, I can't think of anything I want less than that.

It makes sense, I just still think it would be incredibly boring if Sally ends up being the not-really-a-traitor traitor. It's been so painfully obvious from the start, it's like I'm craving a plot twist. I want any of the other characters besides Sally to cause the bad future. OR instead, a deroboticized Sally to do the thing that dooms everyone, not Mecha Sally.

It could happen, when Future Mogul tells his story, Naugus already has the two Chaos Emeralds from the G.U.N., so maybe the "action" will be in #247 (or after the crossover) and will have something to do with Sally derobotization or even what Sonic will do to save Sally.

So wait and see.

And Future Mogul never says there is a traitor, he only says that one of the founding member took action that destroyed the team.

So Sally's sacrifice in #230 was the beginning of Sally being robotiziced, the derobotization of Bunnie, Antoine in a coma, the death of the "Freedom Fighters",... So I don't know why it's such a disappointment for you guys...

The joys of misinterpreted prophecies, a common theme in fiction... Mogul's vague, Silver jumps to conclusions. It's no wonder Mogul sent him back; everything Silver's done so far has been pretty much based on not thinking things through. He was looking for a traitor who only existed because he thought it did... jelly belly was right to take that stone out of his hands because good lord.

It could happen, when Future Mogul tells his story, Naugus already has the two Chaos Emeralds from the G.U.N., so maybe the "action" will be in #247 (or after the crossover) and will have something to do with Sally derobotization or even what Sonic will do to save Sally.

So wait and see.

Sounds like Naugus is going to trigger a war with GUN for their Chaos Emeralds. GUN has nuclear warheads. I think we can see how wonderfully this will turn out.

MAD applies even in fiction!

...actually that makes me wonder why GUN's never tried using the warheads on Eggman. I presume the resulting ecological effects. Never mind Eggman's shown to have technology that can block ICBMs anyway...

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

And why couldn't they go with that again?

Well it would have led to a severe editing considering Lien-da's fate.

Lien-Da was going to appear... D: I'm going to miss all those echidnas, no matter how much some of them looked like recolours of Knuckles himself. 

We knew Lien-Da was supposed to appear ever since the solicit for #245 came out. It explicitly said that Lien-Da's forces would be taking on Thrash and the Devil Dogs. 

And a double post because of #250 variants. 

Sonic250joint-noscale.jpg

Isn't this part 9 of the entire story or something? Edit: YES IT IS VEDJ-F THAT'S WHY IT'S ON THE FUCKING COVER. 

Edited by VEDJ-F
  • Thumbs Up 8

Lolshadow...doesn't give a fuck about everyone around him...

Hello, everyone. I'm the person that had made the blog post revealing the secrets I found on the page of #243 that I bought, which I discovered received a ton of traffic from this message board. I'm really only posting tonight to say that I saw this cover art for #245 on Tumblr, so I reblogged it to send traffic back to you guys to return the favor. To those that visited my blog and read the posts, I hope you found them entertaining and informative!

• Thumbs Up 1