Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

You guy want cover previews? Okay then.

Sonic%23253.jpg

Sonic%23253var.jpg

"The biggest, most shocking event in Sonic comic history is underway, and YOU can grab a front-row seat in Countdown to Chaos Part One! Sonic and Tails are on a journey to the Mystic Ruins jungle in search of their missing pals. What they encounter is sure to surprise you! Meanwhile, Dr. Eggman begins the long trek back to his deadly Death Egg II battle fortress. Will our heroes find him and stop him before he launches again? And just who, or what, is the "Sky Patrol" and what does it have to do with the missing Freedom Fighters? Don't miss a moment of the chaos, featuring the first in a series of ALL-NEW inter-connecting covers by Sonic art superstar Ben Bates, and bone-chilling variant cover by T.REX!"

Sonic The Hedgehog #253 is written by and features artwork by Tracy Yardley, Lamar Wells, Terry Austin, John Workman, and Matt Herms, and goes on sale October 2, 2013.

SonicUniv%2356.jpg

SonicUniv%2356var.jpg

"Ahoy, ye mateys! Tharr be trouble on the high seas! Blaze—a pirate prisoner! Amy, Cream and Marine—lost! Bean—an oddball, be we knew that already! It’s a race against time as Cpt. Metal begins his plan for the Sol Emeralds and his new, completed Egg o’ War! And now that ye mention it — there's something REALLY familiar about that battle station, but I just can't put me hook on it! There’s mystery and mutiny a'foot in Pirate Plunder Panic Part Two! Featuring new cover art from Tracy Y'ARRRR-dley, and a special Sega variant cover!"

Sonic Universe #56 is written by Tracy Yardley, and features artwork and covers by Yardley, Jim Amash, Jack Morelli, and Thomas Mason along with an addition covers by Steve Downer; the latest issue in the series goes on sale September 18, 2013.

• Thumbs Up 2

A pirate Metal Sonic?!

Oh this is awesome already...

And just who, or what, is the "Sky Patrol" and what does it have to do with the missing Freedom Fighters?

Well, this is quite interesting. Are they going to actually bring back the bosses from that game?!

• Thumbs Up 2

Awesome to see another inter-connecting cover. I always love those. Captain Metal also looks friggin' sick. He needs Pirate Cubot as his first mate. tongue.png

Also that red shoe is probably Sally's shoe recoloured so as to avoid giving the game away.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure about that. Last time they altered covers to avoid giving the game away, they just sillhouetted her. Honestly think they may have given her red shoes to approach her to the main Sonic cast.

Why am I suddenly thinking that PPP will not only be a glorified retread of TTT but it will also kinda-sorta adapt the "Metal takes over Eggman's empire and tries to rule the world himself" plot of Heroes? The "familiar battleship" and "mutiny" parts don't really help.

Also pirate talk stopped being witty 30 years ago.

Edited by Spin Attaxx

Well, this is quite interesting. Are they going to actually bring back the bosses from that game?!

Oh my god, I didn't thought about it. This is going to be so good.

I want to start getting into the comic, but I don't know where to start! Perhaps you guys can help.

I only ever read 1 issue of the comic as a kid, and I loved it. Recently I've been wanting to subscribe, but I don't know when. Would I be able to just pick up whenever the next story arch starts? Or would it still not make any sense to me due to bringing over events/element from the past arch. Also, what's Sonic Universe? What makes it so different from the normal comics?

On another note, I saw the Sonic Genesis graphic novel online, and I'm thinking about ordering it in hardcover form. Is it any good or is it just a waste of money?

From what I've come to understand, Sonic Universe is stories that aren't centred around Sonic or 'what if' universes like the future stories.

That's what I've seen and understood. I picked up at issue 160 after some guidance from these guys here if that helps any. I just had to pick up on who the characters were compared to the cartoon and asked any questions about things I was confused about here.

One of the good differences are is that the forgotten characters are still around.
On another note these plots ought to be interesting, but where is Nack... I mean if Bark and Bean are up to something he must be up to something too

As far as I am aware, Sonic Universe is kinda other stories that take place in the background of the main comic (kinda like side stories). They often have other characters and plots to expand Sonics world and let you know that the other characters are still doing things while the main story is going on. I'm not an Archie reader so someone feel free to correct me.

Also does anyone know how much it is to subscribe to the comic via Forbidden Planet? My brother used to do it and I'd love to start reading the comic again!

I want to start getting into the comic, but I don't know where to start! Perhaps you guys can help.

I only ever read 1 issue of the comic as a kid, and I loved it. Recently I've been wanting to subscribe, but I don't know when. Would I be able to just pick up whenever the next story arch starts? Or would it still not make any sense to me due to bringing over events/element from the past arch. Also, what's Sonic Universe? What makes it so different from the normal comics?

On another note, I saw the Sonic Genesis graphic novel online, and I'm thinking about ordering it in hardcover form. Is it any good or is it just a waste of money?

Sonic Universe focuses on telling just general stories about the Sonic Universe. They can be about something Sonic is doing, or what's Knuckles doing, or let's go to the Sonic Underground world, or whatever.

Sonic the Hedgehog is about Sonic and his friends, specifically.

EDIT:

Speculation over Pirate Plunder Panic

The variant cover for issue 1 of Pirate Plunder Panic was Blaze with a stormy sea. However, as seen last thread, an earlier version exists where the stormy sea is instead a calm sea... with Metal Sonic in the sky.

The variant cover for issue 2 of Pirate Plunder Panic has Amy in a calm sea... with Metal Sonic in the sky.

The villain, as so far we know, is named Captain Metal.

He is building an Egg O' War, named after an Man O' War. Now, this can be either a Portuguese Man O' War, which is a jellyfish, or a Man O' War, which is a type of warship from the olden days. Considering Tracy revealed he was a bit of a naval geek and that Paul had to hold him back on naval references, I'm betting it's the warship. However, it has an Egg twist, and apparently is strangely familiar.

Also, despite managing to recover its memories, as far as we know, Eggman never managed to recover the destroyed Metal Sonic that met its end at the wrong side of Marine's cannon.

Captain Metal is a blue robot with black-and-red eyes that has the same proportions as Sonic, the same muzzle as Metal Sonic to a point, and in the rest of the body looks like he was cobbled together.

SO

Captain Metal is the Metal Sonic that was destroyed in SU1, rebuilt, likely by Eggman Nega. If so, his Egg O' War is familiar due to looking like Eggman Nega, you know, the typical Eggman thing of building stuff with their faces plastered.

If, instead, he was, for an example, found by Whisker's Crew and rebuilt, the Egg O' War is likely a result of him being a Metal Sonic, and rebuilding from memory.

speculation over countdown to chaos 

going by the 30yl arc on Sonic Universe, Tikhaos was formed after the Ixis Resurgeance, during the Elemental Wars. Well, Ixis Naugus has been resurging for 3 years now...

Edited by Captain Harlock

Oh they're going overboard with the confusion. lol

so Subscribers, have any of you got Sonic Universe 53 in the mail, they shipped them out last week, i think. I hope I get my copy in the mail soon since I got my address problem fixed with Archie Comics for my Subscriptions to Mega Man, Sonic Universe, and Sonic the Hedgehog. 

Finally got Sonic Universe #51 and #52 on Monday

finally_got_sonic_universe__51_and__52_o

Now I just need Mega Man #26 and Sonic Universe #53 to be up to date. 250 I will get in the mail as a subscriber issue.

Plus, I have two YT vids up at Bwrosas, where I give my thoughts on the upcoming Post Crossover Sonic Arcs and explain what the Sonic Universe Comic is about for anyone that maybe new to it.
Edited by bwrosas

Hands down, my favorite part of issue #8 is the SA2 Reference, basically poking at the fact Amy may or may not be color blind.

20130608_151019_zps72726256.jpg

Ok Amy, explain why you hugged Silver thinking he was Sonic in 06? Sun wasnt shining then....

Edited by mistercokehold8

Hands down, my favorite part of issue #8 is the SA2 Reference, basically poking at the fact Amy may or may not be color blind.

20130608_151019_zps72726256.jpg

Ok Amy, explain why you hugged Silver thinking he was Sonic in 06? Sun wasnt shining then....

Well, it was late at night. But even then, Silver's fur is a bright silvery white. Maybe his fur seemed a little bluish. Although it's possible that Amy CAN sense Sonic's location, but when she knows that he's near, she immediately goes for the first hedgehog she sees that's A) the same height, weight and proportions, or B) Blue. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I just put it down to NextGen's writers wanting to reuse the "Amy mistakes another hedgehog for Sonic" joke without understanding why it worked the first time. Shadow has nearly the same shape as Sonic, and the color of their fur wouldn't be that apparent from a distance. Meanwhile, Silver's spines take the form of a crest, which should have tipped Amy off that he wasn't Sonic.

Well, it was late at night. But even then, Silver's fur is a bright silvery white. Maybe his fur seemed a little bluish. Although it's possible that Amy CAN sense Sonic's location, but when she knows that he's near, she immediately goes for the first hedgehog she sees that's A) the same height, weight and proportions, or cool.png Blue. 

... Or, it could just be an excuse to get Amy involved in the plot, regardless of whether or not it actually makes sense.

I can easily understand why it'd be possible for the military to mistake Sonic for Shadow myself. Someone over there probably didn't believe the Commander when he said that there existed another supersonic hedgehog the exact size and shape of Sonic the Hedgehog with knowledge of the chaos emeralds and spines sharp and hard enough to destroy their guard robots. 

They probably thought it ridiculous that Sonic thought that just painting himself black under the cover of the pitch black darkness of night and adding in some red spines and getting a slightly altered hairdo would make them forget the rest of all that.

• Thumbs Up 1