Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Poor Ian . No matter what he says to try to ease things, it always turns awry...

I know what you mean. That one topic on Bumbleking is like a minefield when it comes to this shit.

I know what you mean. That one topic on Bumbleking is like a minefield when it comes to this shit.

Indeed.

Don't get me wrong, I do think that the wording implicates that the result was less than desirable, but I wouldn't turn around and blast him in the face over it. What else can the guy do except give that sort of response? He's under an NDA most likely, so he can't be that specific in the first place, but even if he wasn't he wouldn't just turn around and say "Yep, they're dead and gone" if that's the ultimate outcome of the legal result because that's not good PR.

One could argue that he could say nothing at all, but since there were people worried that the result meant that the comic would be cancelled forthright, he probably felt that he had to give SOME assurance that the comic existence and quality wouldn't be affected. 

Edited by VEDJ-F

It is kind of annoying that the fans and people buying the product apparently don't have the right to know what changes will be made. But what can you do.

Quality being affected was never really a concern of mine, I would rather Penders influence was gone to be honest. Never personally liked his stories or most if not all his characters, even after other writers made them more tolerable. To me Penders had Richard Knaak syndrome, always trying to make his own characters seem to be more important to the story and world than any of the proper characters in the universe he was writing for. Always bugged me.

However i am not without empathy and do feel bad for the people who liked the characters he created, and how they must be worrying and feeling right now about their fates.

Let me change the subject a little...

Am I the only one who cringes every time I see this page?

images.jpg

I've seen some reactions on Bumbleking complaining about it. Apparently they didn't mind it for the first three parts, but it became a problem by the time it reappeared in Mega Man #25.

I just skip the page because it's really not worth getting angry over, like at all.

I can't read it on my laptop screen, either. It looks like it's an advertisement for ... the crossover itself? Maybe? What's the problem with it?

Nothing's wrong with it, people that use the forums just forget from time to time that the comic itself is mainly directed at children, the early Sonic comics had similar things. Pull outs, colour-me-in's, badges and what not. And believe it or not new readers join the series all the time, so why not have an ad showing which comics and issues have the crossover so new readers can try get them all?

Unless the problem is the blatant plugging and saying how awesome it is? But who wouldn't play up their product? Either or, not something to get wound up about.

I am sorry, I did not make my point clear.

I cringe because of the idea of cutting your comic to display a paper button to promote the cross-over. I cringe because one day someone else will get into Sonic comics, and will want to get those issues and they are gonna have holes in them.

I would not mind as much if the pages were placed right after an ad, but that page happens to be usually at the last page of the stories. That's terrible!

I always found the pinups thing humorous. I think comic companies do it intentionally in the hopes you'll devalue the issue, thus making it easier for them to squeeze reprints into circulation. wink.png

Seriously, the Archives are hurting the collectors' market for folks with a large supply of extras like myself.

In other news, I've made it to Part 8.

I know Shadow's kind of a dick, but it really surprised me he just left with so little care. I'm guessing they needed to keep him from becoming too close to Sonic. I'm guessing it'll be his task to take on Rouge-Woman though.

No surprise here on Wily and Eggman plotting against each other. There's a reason good always wins, and it's not because they have divine assistance.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

Its a Red X block, hotlinking is bad. use a image uploader.

Was it confirmed that the characters Penders created are permanently cut? where is this coming from?

Edited by goku262002

Sorry Tenchibr, I understand now. Yeah I always used to photocopy said pages when I was young. Even back then there was no way I would cut my issue up! Your right, it would be nasty to get a second hand copy with a hole in it or pages missing. Its lucky for myself that the only issues I'm missing are from when my local moved a few years back and missed issues.

Anyone have some mint copies of #110 and #111 available? Really should get onto them on eBay to finish my collection. I never did get around to getting them >.<

Its a Red X block, hotlinking is bad. use a image uploader.

Was it confirmed that the characters Penders created are permanently cut? where is this coming from?

Well, you know about Penders' statement, because I recall seeing you comment a couple of days ago.

Bumbleking went into overdrive discussing it, to the point that Ian had to interject with words of assurance. I thought the wording of the last point of this was pretty intentional. 

Edit: And he made a new statement while I was asleep. 

Edited by VEDJ-F

Sounds like a trimming of the cast what with the "should have been done sooner" remark. Also sounds like Sega may be getting more heavy handed too since he mentioned "fighting hard" to keep the SatAM cast at the heart of the comic. I'm excited to see what they have in store for us :)

God dammit, I'm irritated because I gave a damn about the plight Lien-Da was in, and now I'll never know its true resolution.

Also, I hope Penders hemorrhages money from trying to publish his shitty fanfiction.

I find it funny.....after all he put Archies through just to get a bunch of characters for his fan fiction, he probably thinks he can now use any character for it. I would LOVE to see him use Knuckles, then see what happens.

I also gotta say I've lost a lot of respect for Archie Comics, for basically displaying what amounts to gross incompetence.  I can't imagine SEGA's too pleased with them fumbling something that should have been dead before it started.

Godspeed to Flynn though.  He's trying his hardest to do damage control

Must we insult fanfiction by comparing Penders' crap to it? There is amazing fics out there after all...

But yeah, this does seem to complicate matters. Bet we won't see any story arcs set in the future any more considering the off-limits characters tend to have large roles.

• Thumbs Up 1

So wait, Penders is going to actually be able to publish his awful works?

Jesus Christ SEGA how did you let that happen, of all the amazing fan projects you've shut down over the years you can't shut down what's probably the most defaming of all?

"Out of all the amazing fan projects you were in your legal right to shut down, why are you not shutting down the project that's not a fan-project and is out of your legal reach?"

I mean come on, that's the whole point. The case is dismissed. Penders retains the legal rights. The most SEGA can do is say "that looks too much like knuckles!", and since that was the reason they weren't settling in the first place, but have now settled, that's likely solved as well.

Blaming SEGA for this is barking so off the wrong tree you're pissing in a Japanese forest while thinking you're in Transylvania.

"Out of all the amazing fan projects you were in your legal right to shut down, why are you not shutting down the project that's not a fan-project and is out of your legal reach?"

I mean come on, that's the whole point. The case is dismissed. Penders retains the legal rights. The most SEGA can do is say "that looks too much like knuckles!", and since that was the reason they weren't settling in the first place, but have now settled, that's likely solved as well.

They've C&D'd things in the past for looking like their characters.

And given Penders is now out of Archie comics it may as well be a fan project :/ it's SEGA's own fault for not interjecting more that he got away with those rights in the first place.

Once again I say this, we known Ken is still gonna do his book, comic, fanfiction......whatever it is, we dont know the exact terms the the settlement!

No, it may not as well be a fan project. Legally and by all rights, it's an indie project of a man publishing his work. Acting in denial won't help the matter any.

And again, what was holding up the settlement was exactly, as you say, that SEGA's "C&D'd things in the past for looking like their characters" (actually find me a source for that, never saw SEGA suing Namco for Klonoa nor Disney suing SEGA for Sonic). So if the settlement has been made, it+s because that problem's been solved too.

Penders' work sucks, yes. But don't somehow deny it as petty fanwork. The whole disaster is exactly that it ISN'T petty fanwork.

I'd say that the Lara-Su chronicles now is basically the Fifty Shades of Grey of Archie Sonic (minus the BDSM). It was derivative, but it got spun off into its own thing not dependent on the initial base. Almost.