Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Ah I love this quote from the description

Whew... Got alot of requests to post this after Sonic the Hedgehog 250 dropped, so here ya' go! The raw artwork to the double-page spread in Sonic 250 featuring nearly every Robot Master ever. I'm not kidding, ~ianpotto's script for this sequence actually described this panel as something like "the moment I'll get death threats from the art team."

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm really curious why they bothered making Rouge-woman. I'm sure she'll be JUST as useful as the other ones they had...

...well unless we roll with Conservative of Ninjutus and assume that she'll be just as strong as the other 8 were combined.

I'm really curious why they bothered making Rouge-woman. I'm sure she'll be JUST as useful as the other ones they had...

...well unless we roll with Conservative of Ninjutus and assume that she'll be just as strong as the other 8 were combined.

Nope.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is Rouge the only one left as a robot from the sonic universe?

Yes. She gets roboticized right after they rescue the last two in Part 8, only to be rescued in the following part.

Which only makes it seem pointless to roboticize her to begin with besides giving Rock another Weapon that he'll probably never use as the arc ends.

The only reason I think they bothered to turn Rouge into Rouge Woman, is do they had an even number total of Roboticized Masters

The only reason I think they bothered to turn Rouge into Rouge Woman, is do they had an even number total of Roboticized Masters

That is true. Now that I've counted, that makes her the 10th one and compared to the rest of potential Sonic characters to roboticize, Rouge is a fair choice. I guess my only problem with it was that it was a little late to feature another one when everyone was saved by the that time and they were already teasing us with the Robot Master battle.

Yes. She gets roboticized right after they rescue the last two in Part 8, only to be rescued in the following part.

Which only makes it seem pointless to roboticize her to begin with besides giving Rock another Weapon that he'll probably never use as the arc ends.

Note that we didn't even see her until that big art spread in part 9. And when she gets formally named with the caption box, she is normal again just two panels (not pages) later. 

Edited by VEDJ-F

Penders work sucks, yes. But don't somehow deny it as petty fanwork. The whole disaster is exactly that it ISN'T petty fanwork.

Technically if it isn't authorized by Sega in anyway doesn't that make it fan work? I'm pretty sure regardless of settlement terms that Sega won't be slapping their seal of approval on his work after he has just finished dragging them into court.

So we can assume there will be no Sega characters, yet he has implied he will be trying to link it to previous stories and loosely link it to the universe (gunna be interested to see how he can without Sega jumping on him about it and dragging his ass back to court). Sega wouldn't be authorizing it, and its not part of Archie's authorized work so what does that make it? Just because he was ex staff and USED to write authorized stories doesnt make his unauthorized stuff any less fan fiction than anyone elses.

What interests me is how he can mouth off that he plans to remaster his old stories with Knuckles in and release directors cuts of them. He may be able to get away with reprinting his old stuff himself on a technicality but I wouldn't imagine he would be allowed to add to the stories if said additions and extra panels had Knuckles in them?

No it doesn't make it fan work, because the characters and concepts used are his. Refer to other such cases in the industry like Neil Gaiman retaining the rights to the character Angela despite creating her for the comic Spawn.

The sheer fact he gets to continue his publication means exactly that- that he gets to keep the copyrights. SEGA has to aprove nothing.

EDIT: Compare also to Sonic the Comic, where all material created specifically for it (characters, locations, etc.) belong to the authors and not Egmont nor SEGA exactly due to there having been no contracts (the argument Penders pulled), the same to Doctor Who and how in the 90's you were able to have a series of films about things like UNIT without BBC permission since they didn't own the rights to UNIT, or how the character Death's Head was created for Transformers (Hasbro) but due to having quickly been made a one-page story in an earlier Marvel issue before it went to the printers, the rights retained on Marvel.

Other examples of similar embargos- DC owns the Golden Age Captain Marvel character in copyright and concept, but not trademark- basically meaning they can't have a comic named Captain Marvel or announce Marvel in publicity (which is why he's been rebooted as Shazam). Who owns the trademark? Marvel, who bought it in the 60's just to screw DC over.

That's the worst part of all this, Penders has good legal precedent in an undeserved case. Were it not the detail of the contract, Archie'd have steamrolled him over.

But whatever, he got what he wanted, so the soon you guys mentalise yourselves that for all legal and futurely commercial purposes, THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES is as unrelated to SEGA as, I don't know, Dragon Ball, the faster we can move on.

Edited by Captain Harlock

so the soon you guys mentalise yourselves that for all legal and futurely commercial purposes, THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES is as unrelated to SEGA as, I don't know, Dragon Ball, the faster we can move on.

Hmm... Gee, I don't know:

97812405.png

Super_861d8f_1936271.jpg

Sorry, I had to.

That's kinda what I was meaning, its fan fiction in regards to how it ties itself to Sega stuff if he even still tries to do that. Its not official Sega material. It has no bearing on Sega or Archie at all. I wasn't trying to say they weren't his characters or anything. I guess I didn't articulate it properly.

Like you said, the fact he has these characters and is making this book has no meaning to those if us who only follow the official stuff that is tied to Sega. So to us its as official as fan fiction in regards to trying to tie in to Segas property.

For the people that enjoy his characters or stories its cannon or whatever. But for the rest of us its fluff cause its not in anyway linked to the authorized material anymore even tho the characters used to be in it.

Someone should write a really good Julie-Su fanfic and distribute it with "Julie-Su copyright Archie & Sega" and see if he emails them :P

Penders speaks again.

LMAO at him insinuating that he was responsible for Dawn Best's success. 

Wasn't he though?

Dawn Best:First issue I did was Sonic 101's Knuckles story. There are many variations as to how I got the job at Archie flying around, so I'd like to set the record straight now.. Ken first asked for help in a chat online, so I inquired, and recieved an invitation to submit a sample which, if good enough, would give me the chance to work for Archie. Ken later opened up the contest to everyone with a post on his message board. When I submitted my page, he liked what he saw (continued)

Dawn Best:so he told me that the contest was then between myself and one other person, and to submit another page for a "face off". I sent my next submission in that day, and the next day after driving 2 hours in bad weather, was floored to find Ken had called and I had got the job. :-)

Sure, her talent had a lot to do with it but Ken was responsible for her getting the job. (I never liked her work though, it was good though.)

Robotnik_zpse16b4ef5.png

Wily_zps5e5d1c71.png

Just...can we keep Bates as the main artist? Please? These expressions are gems.

I can get behind this, and not just because we share a last name.

I like his expressions. He can get cartoony or anime-esque, but doesn't overdo it like Jon Gray does.