Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

You're still not getting my point.

From the moment Endangered Species was altered, they obviously changed the entire plans from that point on to count on not being able to use Penders characters. That includes the end to King Naugus arc. Which means that no, Elias isn't needed, and hasn't been since around... 6 months ago? 7? When was Endangered Species?

No matter how many last minute changes they make, I doubt even if Archie won the case they'd in 3 weeks rewrite the arc to add the characters back.

I guess what they could do then is just hold off the story with just side story arcs of sonic chasing eggman until they get an idea of what to do. remember the key to all these banned characters returning is just to make simple redesign changes that don't look like the penders' variants any longer.

I guess what they could do then is just hold off the story with just side story arcs of sonic chasing eggman until they get an idea of what to do. remember the key to all these banned characters returning is just to make simple redesign changes that don't look like the penders' variants any longer.

Along with significant personality development, thats important too

Along with significant personality development, thats important too

Is it? because I thought it was just looks that was the important factor here?

Eh, not too hard to change personalities either. some characters need some thought but others are just doing a personality 180.

No, that's what people on here and Bumbleking have decided to be the key. The likelihood of Archie thinking likewise is pretty low.

I can't believe Penders won anything, especially ownership of what is pretty much the main characters but in different attire. Jeez what the hell happened during this case...

It's a good thing the genesis wave is a thing in the comics, as bad as it is to use such an easy way out to change anything, it's really convenient considering the circumstances. Though if penders can get away with an evil sonic then couldn't Archie get away with just changing appearances and names? Maybe Elias could simply abandon his name and just always be referred to as King. Would work with normal naming conventions of the sonic series as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm sorry, but somebody needs to be fired for allowing him to get away with Evil Sonic of all things?

What happened to the ACP that screwed the Josie and the Pussycats creator out of his rightful copyrights?  How the mighty have fallen, etc

• Thumbs Up 1

Well if Captain Harlock gets here, I'm sure he'd have more Penders quotes for us to gawp at. 

It's not like they're particularly well hidden or at all, don't see why I'm the one who has to bring them :P

@Tylinos:

I knew sooner or later I'd have to respond to this, so here goes:

When Mike K and I co-created Evil Sonic and Robo-Robotnik, nothing like those characters existed in the games. They weren't based on Sonic or Robotnik per se as far as personality and purpose went. And that's the key here. Both characters are depicted as clear individuals in the same panels with their original version, thus establishing them as clear and distinctly different characters. The equivalent here is Spawn/Midieval Spawn. When Robo-Robotnik becomes the new Eggman, it isn't done off-panel. Neither is Evil Sonic's transformation into Scourge. My characters are literally shown being given makeovers and a name change, thus they have no degree of separation from being my characters. Had Ian established Scourge as a separate character apart from Evil Sonic, then the character is out of bounds to any claims of mine. But that didn't happen, and there's no retconning to correct this after the fact.

Which brings us to Shade and the other characters from SONIC CHRONICLES which many have claimed were based on my characters. The reason many people have made this observation is that my characters - Julie-Su, the Dark Legion, Dimitri, the Brotherhood, etc. - all existed prior to the game, which provided not only a basis for comparison, but a basis for the very existence of these elements within the game. Shade by herself without the back story provided in the game more than likely could have possibly been considered a stand-alone original character. However, once you add the other elements from the game including her back story that track with the elements I created, then you have reasons for the actions I've taken.

People have tended to get hung up on the visuals of a character rather than the purpose they serve within a story, which is what makes them copyrightable in the first place. If I had never established the world of Evil Sonic in the first place, then Ian might have clear title to the "Anti-Brotherhood". But like Sega and BioWare/EA, Ian runs into two problems: (1) I did establish the world of Evil Sonic with the "anti-"  versions of the characters and (2) I was also responsible for the creation of the Brotherhood of the Guardians, thus Ian was basing characters off of my work rather than creating his own.

When Karl created Mina and Finetivus, he created two unique and distinctly different characters. I never laid claim to Finetivus even though he was an echidna because that part never mattered where the character itself was concerned. Take away the visual of him being an echidna and he's a uniquely different character from anything I've created.

'My characters are literally shown being given makeovers and a name change, thus they have no degree of separation from being my characters.Had Ian established Scourge as a separate character apart from Evil Sonic, then the character is out of bounds to any claims of mine. But that didn't happen, and there's no retconning to correct this after the fact.'

Technically he did didn't he? He decided Scourge wanted to be his own man in the end meaning he took over Moebius. So does this mean he is claiming Scourge?

At least the end bit sets in stone he doesn't want Finitevus.

Wait wait wait... So he claims to own Evil Sonic and Robo Robotnik (and essentially all the Anti/Evil characters) despite being based on the original game characters and their world.... But then claims issue with the Dark Brotherhood for being characters based on his 'own' ones....?

And this is meant to be a genuine point? How in the hell????

• Thumbs Up 4

And add to that he isn't interested in Finitevus who is (personally) the most interesting of the other Echidna's that aren't Knuckles. I say again. The mans mad lol

I gotta admit, I give props to Ian for shitting on the ridiculousness of Metal Overlord.

• Thumbs Up 2

After complaints of making Metal stale they always turn around and make him bad ass in a fight. Almost like the games, his fight in Generations was pretty cool, maybe cause of the nostalgia. But his final chase sequence in Ep II was rather lame. I did enjoy the coaster boss fight tho.

It's not like they're particularly well hidden or at all, don't see why I'm the one who has to bring them tongue.png

I was worried about legal issue
Until I heard that argument, my mint blew up

That means Archie can kept any Pender's character who had a change off panel because it will be a completely different character

example 1
St john was possessed by Nagus ehh ........ on panel?
But he could have a change of personality and design off panel
Brand new character

example 2
Elias could be disfigured by a "blast"
Wearing a mask and act more serious and less whiny and called ehh .... MASKED RIDER!
Brand new character

example 3
Enerjak my favorite character
it's very easy Ian could use a dark enerjack and .... That's all

I am sad for scourge
according Penders to have a change on panel (that word exists) is still his character

hello folks i'm new here

pd:sorry my english is awful
Edited by invader_gus

He's been driven to a point where all he wants is money. He doesn't care about us, he's just wanting his wallet filled. Not to say Archie don't rake for money too (infinite rereleases) but at least theirs is done deservingly & we want to read their stuff.

Also, im kind of sad the EggxWily bromance is falling apart, it's such a shame because these two had something beautiful and I didn't want to see it end T_T

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, the bromance probably would've lasted longer if Eggman was his Games self, as opposed to his significantly more ruthless Archie incarnation.

Also, im kind of sad the EggxWily bromance is falling apart, it's such a shame because these two had something beautiful and I didn't want to see it end T_T

Dr. Light is a home wrecker, everything was fine till he showed up.

Eh, the bromance probably would've lasted longer if Eggman was his Games self, as opposed to his significantly more ruthless Archie incarnation.

....yeaaaa, I'm not seeing much of a difference considering Eggman isn't much more sane in the games. In fact, this entire universe is set in the games actually.

• Thumbs Up 3

I kinda like the more ruthless Archie counterpart because while Sonic can joke all he want Eggman actually feels like a threat and his actions actually cause significant damage. People may survive his attacks, but damn are they shaken and felt.

I find it funny that Wily considers Eggman too dangerous while he himself ends up as the whole reason for how devastating the X series was (and by extension the Zero series if only indirectly, even if Weil is the biggest monster of the series).

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc
  • Thumbs Up 2

...This Penders stuff isn't going to result in recolors being legitimized as real characters is it?

...Because that would be terrifying.

Dr. Light is a home wrecker, everything was fine till he showed up.

....yeaaaa, I'm not seeing much of a difference considering Eggman isn't much more sane in the games. In fact, this entire universe is set in the games actually.

It's not, actually. It's a universe far more similar to the gameverse, but it's not actually the gameverse.

...This Penders stuff isn't going to result in recolors being legitimized as real characters is it?

...Because that would be terrifying.

If you mean this will result in a surge of more recolours by fans or something ... well, that already happened a long time ago, so absolutely nothing will change.

EDIT: OH! Do you mean fans being able to do this, i.e. officially publishing stuff with fan characters? Yeeeah, no, I don't think that's gonna happen. And even if it did, they'd probably fail and ultimately be ignored, anyway.

And yeah, the Wily/Egg breakup was inevitable. Depressingly inevitable, in fact. :'( Still, it will probably be glorious to watch.

Edited by ElementofChaos

Ugh, how did Penders get the rights to Evil Sonic, literally Sonic wearing a leather jacket! >< Even Scourge is more original than him. Seriously, I can't believe he gets away with this. I hope this comic book of his fails hard.

• Thumbs Up 2