Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Better yet, the book can just pretend they never existed.

Yeah, I can't help but see that Sega would rather Archie did that due to the whole 'Knuckles is the last of his kind' thing they've been running with for so many years, Fini might be an exception due to popularity while the others are seen as 'ehh' since Penders is wanting to use them anyway.

There's also the fact that Archie now have to get permission to use Ken's characters now, so I really doubt they'll show up much or at all.

It sounds like they both have joint rights to the characters now, though, rather than Ken owning them. Sort of a fair truce; both get rights whereas both wished to strip the other party of it.

I think he should've just left it years ago.  If your health is going to be affected by something like this, then it's best to just walk away early.

Well, in all honesty, as well-meaning as he may be at times, it's obvious he has an ego the size of Jupiter. 

Yeah, I can't help but see that Sega would rather Archie did that due to the whole 'Knuckles is the last of his kind' thing they've been running with for so many years, Fini might be an exception due to popularity while the others are seen as 'ehh' since Penders is wanting to use them anyway.

The question is, does SEGA really care?

While normally they're all too eager to force rules down Archie's throat, it seems like they just didn't care one way or another about this case... had they got involved, I can easily see the result as being Penders crushed like an insect. He has no real ground to stand on, so I assume it was just Archie going against him... which naturally makes things a lot easier.

Does Sega care?

Well, it'd be disheartening to pitch a story and Sega turns around and goes "I don't care", then them hearing how they'd have to pay extra bits of money to Penders would make them go "screw that, we didn't care anyway". They'd probably not want to dish out a tiny bit of extra cash.

Not sure, if this should be a whole different topic, so I'll say it here.  If you were given the chance to write a story arc for the comic, what would its plot be?  If it was me, I'd have something similar to the Mecha Madness arc, where after a battle with Eggman, Sonic accidentally roboticizes himself.  Only difference being, is that he still has his free will and has to live with the condition until a cure is found for him.  It would also be mentally challenging for him, since he hasn't had much good come out of him being a robot.  Also, most of his friends would probably be a bit tense and cautious around him, especially the ones who were in Mecha Madness. 

Well, in all honesty, as well-meaning as he may be at times, it's obvious he has an ego the size of Jupiter. 

Yeah, he hasn't done well in gaining support. 

Oh and if you're a Ty the Tasmanian Tiger fan (judging from the avatar wink.png ) there's going to be a new sidescrolling game coming soon.

My dream Archie story?

A crossover with Sonic the Comic.

I guess this piece will have to suffice:

qZyMvLN.jpg

Art by Tracy Yardley of Archie and Nigel Dobbyn of Fleetway, hell yeah!

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice
  • Thumbs Up 2

END GAME.

20130722_143647_zps3d3ee9f9.jpg

More to come in a bit. biggrin.png

2dkk8jk.jpg

I lost it at this panel. I absolutely love Eggman in this comic.

I thought they didn't sell them here in Australia. But they do, only problem is we're like 2 issues behind and they don't sell Mega Man.

IIRC when I was living in the UK, W.H Smith sold the archie comic along with the fleetway comic, that was years ago though.

I haven't tried WHSmith. I'll take a look. Thanks.

Got the final part of the crossover yesterday and I loved it. Now if only I could find part 2 somewhere.

So how much do we know about the state of the Sonic Comics after the crossover? Will it be a soft reboot, will not much change other then designs, will it be a good jumping-in-point for those who want to get back into the comics?

From what I gather, it's less like DC's New 52 and more like DC's Zero Hour. Messing with time caused some retcons and changes, but continuity exists and most stuff that happened is still part of canon.

Which is good, because New 52 is the stupidest idea ever.

• Thumbs Up 2

What with the universe -cracking- based on what I saw, it's obvious this Wave will have far, far more effects than the prior one.

Eggman realised this was different than the last one, and Sonic's scant memories of the first wave were also making him panic just a little when he saw how different this was.

So I'm eager to see what sort of effects the timeline has suffered, overall. Sally as Queen? Naugus returned to his drooling state? Geoffrey having never fallen off the right path? Jules as an organic Mobian? Elias never being born? Etc. etc.

There's all sorts of opportunities to rewrite the universe and have quite a bit of fun with it.

What with the universe -cracking- based on what I saw, it's obvious this Wave will have far, far more effects than the prior one.

Eggman realised this was different than the last one, and Sonic's scant memories of the first wave were also making him panic just a little when he saw how different this was.

So I'm eager to see what sort of effects the timeline has suffered, overall. Sally as Queen? Naugus returned to his drooling state? Geoffrey having never fallen off the right path? Jules as an organic Mobian? Elias never being born? Etc. etc.

There's all sorts of opportunities to rewrite the universe and have quite a bit of fun with it.

Wow, I hope nothing as drastic as that happens. Especially the bit about Elias never being born.

Oh, me too! Just for the reasons given, I'm really eager to see what the post-crossover world will look like, overall. With the way it's been set up I'm presuming Ian has quite a few curveballs to throw at us.

Best case scenario is that a the Genesis Wave changes appearances and the landscape. Almost like how Sonic suddenly got green eyes in issue...uh, issue something. I think it was before the 100 mark.

Best case scenario is that a the Genesis Wave changes appearances and the landscape. Almost like how Sonic suddenly got green eyes in issue...uh, issue something. I think it was before the 100 mark.

that was caused by running ultra fast while boosted by a chaos emerald to reverse the rotation of mobius.... this is a little more straightforward

Issue #71 guys. Diverting a laser beam of sorts from Knothole by running with Nate Morgans Super Emerald. The backwards issue. I still think its funny they bothered to explain his eye change in the comics yet everyone else magically got new eyes too for no reason. If you explain one, should you not explain the others? Would have been better just changing it without an explanation or just mentioning that they were changing it to tie in with Sega's new designs for the main cast at the time due to Sonic Adventure.

As far as the post crossover, i think it will be more than just a design change, they wouldn't go to all this trouble just to change appearances of people and places. That and Ian saying what's happening should have been done ages ago. I don't think landscape changes and a few redesigns merit a response like that.

They have tweeked things before, as you said, like the green eye thing, changing Amy to her older Sonic Adventure self, Rotor getting old, giving Nicole a body, changing Evil Sonic etc without this much buildup.

Besides all that, "all-new universe" sounds like a lot has changed, not just design asthetics. A simple "new look freedom fighters" would do for that. Let alone they are dedicating a portion of a Super Special to explain to readers what's changed in this "all-new universe". Its gunna be more than looks that's for sure.

Edited by Tenko
  • Thumbs Up 1

There's no doubt you'll have changes, it's just not going to be a complete erasure of the entire continuity up to this point. There's a difference between big changes in the status quo and completely deleting the status quo and pretending nothing ever happened.

The former scenario is the usual formula when you have these big events in comics. Some characters actually died, some never died, different origin stories, little tweaks and big tweaks here and there etc. But I think a ton of Sonic fans were concerned the previous 250 or so issues would basically be wiped clean, and #252 would essentially be like a #1 issue of a new series with the same core characters. Ala New 52.

The comic universe is so annoying, though, right now. So, I can't blame people. After all, I'm a (former) Spider Man reader. Speaking of that, I wonder if the Antoine/Bunnie marriage will stay? I'd assume it's safe since it was Ian's idea, but who knows?

Edited by Crazizzle

Overall I'm anticipating the usual mixture of the butterfly effect with predestination paradox; people still exist and so do positions, but who holds what status tends to shift around. You might still be married, but they'll be a different person; your son will now be a daughter, etc.

Hey, the good news is they won't remember the original timeline most likely so there won't be the levels of emo that King Sonic had at how radically things changed.

Issue #71 guys. Diverting a laser beam of sorts from Knothole by running with Nate Morgans Super Emerald. The backwards issue. I still think its funny they bothered to explain his eye change in the comics yet everyone else magically got new eyes too for no reason. If you explain one, should you not explain the others? Would have been better just changing it without an explanation or just mentioning that they were changing it to tie in with Sega's new designs for the main cast at the time due to Sonic Adventure.

They were doing the story anyways, they just then concluded since they had to introduce the Adventure design that'd be a good occasion to do so.

Ogilvie Maurice, I so would love to have a arc where the Fleetway Universe somehow came to the Archie Universe, I was there at the beginning of S.T.C (1993 I was 9) and the end (2002, issues 185-223 were reprints).

Even if it was a Sonic Universe 4 issue arc Id love it, especially if you had Tracey drawing the Archie characters and Nigel Dobbyn or Richard Elson draw the Fleetway gang. 

Just to see how Archie Sonic would react to Fleetway sonic's persona, or seeing Shortfuse the Cybernik unleashed in the Archie verse. So many possibilities just a shame it'll prob never happen. if they are at SOS or SONIC BOOM soneone should ask. haha

The eye colour change explanation was silly. Still go back to read the issue now and again. I liked Sonic The Comics way of explaining it, makes more sense. But yeah, no one would have lost sleep if no one explained why his eyes are green.

Ogilvie Maurice, I so would love to have a arc where the Fleetway Universe somehow came to the Archie Universe, I was there at the beginning of S.T.C (1993 I was 9) and the end (2002, issues 185-223 were reprints).

Even if it was a Sonic Universe 4 issue arc Id love it, especially if you had Tracey drawing the Archie characters and Nigel Dobbyn or Richard Elson draw the Fleetway gang. 

Just to see how Archie Sonic would react to Fleetway sonic's persona, or seeing Shortfuse the Cybernik unleashed in the Archie verse. So many possibilities just a shame it'll prob never happen. if they are at SOS or SONIC BOOM soneone should ask. haha

The funny thing is that cease and desist orders were issued a while back against some folks who posted scans of Sonic the Comic on the internet. It fueled a belief that maybe a company was planning to reprint the issues, as otherwise there'd be no real reason to issue a cease and desist (the comics are in that quasi-legal status where while they're technically property, no money is being made from them and so Fleetway or whoever isn't going to come after you if you share them).

A shame that speculation proved unfounded... we're still limited to STCO ultimately. A shame, really; I was hoping that someone was going to pick up the license. Given that Mr. Kitching and the like remain active to this day in the Sonic community (where their work is concerned at least), we'd actually be able to start right where it left off. STCO would then become an alternate timeline...

This would in turn raise the possibility of a crossover. Granted, we likely wouldn't see it until Issue 275 or 300 or so since we're kind of crossovered out for a year or two.

Really, given how popular Sonic the Comic is and Sonic in general in the UK, I'm surprised the comic was never picked up by another company. I mean, when the comic can shut down and be continued on a regular basis for over a decade by its readers... well, that says a lot about how popular it is. And for any opportunistic business, popularity = money.

I like how despite how strained its gotten, you can tell there's still something of respect between Eggman & Wily.