Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I'm not sure being protective is a sign of them being idiots. I know we may still throw money at them for the comics, but I don't see why they should be insulted for not wanting to go that route if it's because they're being cautious.

Now if there's something that will obviously benefit them with no risks or strings attached to an idea, and they don't bother, then that would make things questionable to me.

well, nintendo is highly protective, and there is the whole penders debacble

I kinda doubt the Penders case was nearly as publicized as we like to think it was. Penders is still small time, all things considered.

I can understand Nintendo being protective, that's not unreasonable. You have an intellectual property, it makes sense you want to make sure it's handled well. SEGA is like that with Sonic now; they've gone insanely protective of this property, especially with the de-listing of many games. But Penders or no, Archie's incredible and unprecedented success with Sonic alone should be enough of a track record for Nintendo to be interested. This is a book that could have easily faced cancellation many times in the past, but somehow kept moving along, even when stories of questionable quality were the norm for a several years. And if a writer like Ian Flynn is involved, someone who has proven that he can handle many different types of properties, with the due respect they deserve, and whose work has generally been well received, I would think it would have been a slam dunk. Oh well. I know that I'd have been interested in picking up all those books Archie was trying for had Nintendo chosen to play ball, especially if Yardley's test pages were anything to go by.

Edited by Zaysho

Archie did try to get the license to make comics of metriod mario and kirby but nintendo rejected heres some test samples that they sent http://www.comicartfans.com/searchresult.asp?PM=2&txtSearch=Tracy++Yardley&Order=&PI=36

Wow, now THOSE I would read. Seriously, the fact that these were turned don makes me sad. Oh well, maybe in the future...

Given it's at no cost to them, could help expand the market, increase profits due to royalties, and the simple fact I doubt anyone would hold comic books against a game...

Yeah denying the license is kind of dumb.

I don't normally put much trust in humanity, but I think most people can tell the difference between a game and comic book. Except corporate suits, it seems.

Tis a shame, Archie having more titles to work with and crossover would be grand. We'd finally get the crossover Nintendo and SEGA always reject.

Given it's at no cost to them, could help expand the market, increase profits due to royalties, and the simple fact I doubt anyone would hold comic books against a game...

Yeah denying the license is kind of dumb.

I don't normally put much trust in humanity, but I think most people can tell the difference between a game and comic book. Except corporate suits, it seems.

Tis a shame, Archie having more titles to work with and crossover would be grand. We'd finally get the crossover Nintendo and SEGA always reject.

Maybe it's because they're still a bit sour over the console wars in the 90's wink.png   But still, I agree.  Nintendo could really find a good market with the comic industry.  A Legend of Zelda comic might just be a breakthrough.

We're those done during the timeframe of the Sonic covers they are wedged between or earlier and only recently put up I wonder. The concept Mega Man ones seem to be using the Rockman Rockman (Powered Up) style for a few of them. Makes me wish they finished remaking the older games in that style again now >.<

They all look very good, its a shame really. Perhaps they were afraid the Mario comics would end up like the old American cartoon and not fall into their current canonized world if they let an American comic have the green light.

Oh, it just occurred to me to share this here. I already posted it in the Sonic Boom topic, but since this is an Archie thread it might be prudent.

Evan Stanley is going to be in attendance at the fan-organised Sonic Boom West this September in Orange, California. I might have to go just to see if she'd sign something for me...

She's not there in an official capacity obviously, so I hope she wouldn't mind the extra attention. tongue.png

They all look very good, its a shame really. Perhaps they were afraid the Mario comics would end up like the old American cartoon and not fall into their current canonized world if they let an American comic have the green light.

A part of me also wonders if it's the fact failures with adaptions tend to outlast successes; SatAM and Adventures of Sonic are exceptions and not the rule. Movies, cartoons, etc. seem to fall short of the quality of a game when based on a gaming franchise from what I know.

I can't really blame Nintendo for being cautious with that in mind. I don't think it's a coincidence they stopped at one movie and only one Mario and Zelda cartoon. They're obviously wary of bad products.

...doesn't change the fact I doubt such products, no matter how hard they flop, would impact their gaming sales much. If you read a Mario comic chances are high you already follow the games, I'd think.

You mean there coulda been a Mario and Kirby comic, which would have featured Wario and Dedede heavily...... And Nintendo turned it down.......

Why have I been forsaken..... ;A;

(serious the art of all those characters is wonderful stuff. That alone woulda probably been enough for those comics to have sold well with the diehards and kids.)

• Thumbs Up 9

The only issue I have from those samples is I'd want someone else to actually pencil the comic.

Yardley often draws everything in the exact same style, and the characters look like Sonic characters wearing overalls, making them not really feel like the Mario brothers.

Haha at least Archie treats Mega Man with far more respect compared to...say, Captain N :D

Does go to show you tho, even the "bad" shows and movies tend to get a lot of attention. In fact most of them are well loved by a lot of people, still to this day even, regardless of how losely connected they were to the proper original content. In fact wasn't there a anniversary showing of the Mario Bros movie recently?

But yeah, movies and TV programs based on games and even anime 98% of the time do tend to stray too far from the established content into this weird "I'm a Hollywood director/movie studio and ill do whatever the hell I please after I have the license" territory.

I know there's the whole not wanting to make a carbon copy of what people have seen before aspect and the directors wanting to put their personal spin on it....but really there is a reason these things are popular, and its obvious from the popularity people like them the way they are. Mess around too much and all you end up with is crap. Not looking at anyone of course! *coughdragonballevolutionandstreetfightercough*

The only issue I have from those samples is I'd want someone else to actually pencil the comic.
Yardley often draws everything in the exact same style, and the characters look like Sonic characters wearing overalls, making them not really feel like the Mario brothers.

I can agree to that, it's most noticeable on the sketches of Bowser and Yoshi (particular the pose of Bowser breathing fire). It's not so bad on the Kirby and Metroid ones though (aside from maybe a touch on Ridley in that one panel), but it's likely that Yardley wouldn't be the only one to work on those series anyway if he's already busy with the Sonic stuff.

How old are these anyway? Just wondering if they were maybe done before they got guys like Herms on the team as well.

Edited by Kamicciolo

Maybe they're still sore after the mockery that were the 90's cartoons (and perhaps the Valiant comics, although they more erroneous than stupid) and wish to avoid anything like that again.

Mario had a bad movie and a bad cartoon.

It is still by far the bestselling franchise on Earth and has god loads more of a merchandising presence than Sonic or pretty much any game.

I hereby declare Nintendo to be run by people who can't comprehend the difference between video game and comic book sales. tongue.png

I mean seriously, Nintendo, logic. There's nothing to lose here.

I'm fine with Sonic keeping the comic book market to himself though.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

On the flipside, their presence is so large that they have nothing to gain from it either. They really don't need to advertise the games in comics. SEGA probably don't with the main Archie Sonic continuity either given how low the numbers are, but that's a different discussion really.

As I recall from the Charles Martinet panel at EXPCon in 2010, somebody did ask the reason why Nintendo doesn't tend to license out the Mario franchise for books, TV shows, ect. like they used to ( or basically if we will get to see any comics or shows at all in the future )  and Mr. Martinet replied that Miyamoto tends to prefer the storytelling with the games (or among those lines.)

Shame too, because if I got ahold of the Mario franchise and wrote a comic series with it, I would run, run, run with it and never look back. Got a lot of stories up in this head of mine.

Edited by Scheming Minor

As I recall from the Charles Martinet panel at EXPCon in 2010, somebody did ask the reason why Nintendo doesn't tend to license out the Mario franchise for books, TV shows, ect. like they used to ( or basically if we will get to see any comics or shows at all in the future )  and Mr. Martinet replied that Miyamoto tends to prefer the storytelling with the games (or among those lines.)

Shame too, because if I got ahold of the Mario franchise and wrote a comic series with it, I would run, run, run with it and never look back. Got a lot of stories up in this head of mine.

isnt there a mario manga that is currently running? 

... What storytelling? The stories of the main games are primarily excuse plots. It's the spinoffs that actually make some attempt at a substantial narrative.

How the flying fuck did we go from talking about Sonic to talking about Mario

You can thank our boy Ogilvie for this Mario digression. To bring this right back around to Sonic, let me just say that I'm glad as all heck that Archie!Sonic's "real" name of Ogilvie Maurice Takeshi (?) Hedgehog is no longer canon 'cause seriously, that name is just bleh.

• Thumbs Up 1

isnt there a mario manga that is currently running? 

Exactly, which is why it seems hypocritical of Miyamoto.

Especially when the manga has all of the little things we cannot put into our comics with regard to censorship. Like swearing, obscene hand gestures, blood, sexual themes, and more.

You know, like boners and such. KC comics always has Mario with a boner somewhere in the series.

scan0018.jpg

And to think this series also had approval from Nintendo.

• Thumbs Up 3

There was also that scene with Francis and Mario. The Manga version of the SPM fight is...disturbing.

To bring this right back around to Sonic, let me just say that I'm glad as all heck that Archie!Sonic's "real" name of Ogilvie Maurice Takeshi (?) Hedgehog is no longer canon 'cause seriously, that name is just bleh.

Indeed. I suppose I sorta get the idea that Sonic has some kind of "uncool" aspect of him, such as an embarassing name and all, but it's still pretty stupid. I never heard of the Takeshi part though... Out of curiosity, wasn't that name an invention of Penders? I know the first name never actually turned up in the comics, but I seem to recall it was Penders who came up with that bit of, um, "brilliance."

Cripes, I just had a thought he might use that as some sort of loophole to sneak Sonic into his story, but now that's just being silly.

From what I can tell from the interview Sonic Stadium did with Ian at SDCC 2013, is 1), That from he can say, the old countiy will still count, because why read over 250 issues to change that.  2), That there will be new heroes, new villains, new locations, new vehicles, just overall new stuff., 3), The redesigns was/is to bring the freedom fighters and other notable characters up to Sonic Standards, basically finally make them look like SONIC characters in a Sonic Book and getting them in line with the franchise.  4), As far as Scourge and Fiona go, you have to read the comics to find out their fate. 5), His goal is to do shorter arcs after Countdown that will have/give you more bang for your buck, but still lead to something bigger later on down the line.  He also acknowledges that  the fan's Main problem with The Mecha Sally Arc, was that even through some things were good, it was taking too long to get any point/payoff.  So after Countdown, he wants to change that possible with (my opinion) 2 to 4 issues an arc at most, that have a good payoff/point, but still at the same time lead to something bigger down the line, possibly with anniversary issue like 275 or 300.  

So despite how you feel about Ian Flynn, at least he has given us some idea as to what's to come and does acknowledge the Main Problem a LOT of fans had with Mecha Sally Arc, and no we're not talking about weaponization or her robotaztion before that.

So if you want to know more from the Horse's mouth himself, go to TheSonicStadium Youtube page and click on the Ian Flynn Interview.

Hope this helps that want to know what's going to happen after the crossover and 252. 

God Bless

Edited by bwrosas

Cripes, I just had a thought he might use that as some sort of loophole to sneak Sonic into his story, but now that's just being silly.

It shall always be canon to me, no matter what Ian says from his Papal throne.

IMO it's probably the best thing to ever come from Penders. I love it because of how hilariously dumb it is. Ogilvie isn't even a first name, I guess; it's a surname of Scottish origin. Given the Franco-Scottish Alliance, I guess it was meant to be another nod to the whole "Sonic's family is French" thing.

But I guess you know that already, don't you? tongue.png

best part of the crossover

tumblr_mq6obpoD1B1rlrnwdo1_400.png

I must concur.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice