Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Are you intentionally misreading me, the solicits, and Bates?

It's not Penders characters. It's not anyone that's a problem for SEGA.

IT'S EVERYONE. The cast was overbloated. That's poison for new readers.

They're starting from zero, rebuilding a cast. Sonic and Tails reappear, fight Tails Doll. Meet Chuck, meet Rotor, meet Antoine and some unknown SatAM character. Eggman's travelling the world back to his Death Egg, faces GUN.

They're literally starting a new book, with the same continuity and numbering as the old one.

I skipped yours and everybodys dribble for 5 pages, I wasn't going to read through crap and pointless back and forth to get a point.

I doubt its going to go your way, broken universe or not there were loose ends that were left when the Genesis wave happened, all that won't get swept aside just because some new readers want a reboot and won't put in the hard work to learn the storyline. most likely were probably going to revert to 5 minutes before Mecha Sally was taken out and take her out again then have the storyline start itself from there.

Were not starting a new book, its the same one just with abit of a refresh to it.

Basically folks, This WILL NOT be Like DC's NEW 52, just a mid-soft reset.  In other words, the characters will still know each other, they'll just have NEW UPDATED Looks due to the Third Genesis Wave (and Eggman's Fuck up), that's all.  Countdown to Chaos is about bringing The Freedom Fighters back together (along with their new Looks) and restoring the planet back to normal, before it goes KABLOOEY!!!! 

Edited by bwrosas

Were not starting a new book, its the same one just with abit of a refresh to it.

In an attempt to avoid tension, I think you two are pretty much saying the same thing while wording it differently from one another...

Little extra note if you want to know where Sonic Universe storylines begin, the first issue takes place after Sonic #196 and Sonic X #40 (though the latter need not be read to understand the story of SU#1).

Fun fact:

The Metal Sonic engines mentioned in issue 196 of STH are reference to other comics. The "new" engine model, SX40SU1, is actually referencing the issues of Sonic X and Sonic Universe that were also selling at that time, issues 40 and 1 respectively. The "usual" engine model, STH25, is a reference to Sonic the Hedgehog 25, Metal Sonic's, or Mecha Sonic as he was known back then, debut issue.

The more you know...

Guys.

The solicits. Guys, the solicits.

The world is corrupted. Everyone is changed and in the wrong places.

Guys, what Bates is saying is nothing new. Everyone that isn't Sonic and Tails is getting put on a toybox, kept away safely and not cluttering the playfield. Then, as the story demands it, Ian's getting them back one by one.

It doesn't mean Penders characters, it means everyone. The huge spiralling cluster that was the cast of the book, that was as much a strength as it was a weakness- remember the Mecha Sally arc having to deal with three villains and 3 teams of heroes? That's the clutter being dropped.

(repost from BKC)

All because of Eggman had to blow up the orb that restores the world

Okay, but then why are the redesigned Freedom Fighters on the cover of the first Sonic issue after Worlds Collide? That would imply they play a role in that issue and thus aren't reintroduced. 

... it's right there in my post.

The cast reset to Sonic and Tails. Then they find Chuck, Rotor, Antoine.

The FF are in the covers because they're some of the characters being reintroduced.

In an attempt to avoid tension, I think you two are pretty much saying the same thing while wording it differently from one another...

Yes and no, what I'm saying is "The book is going to solve all plot points by starting anew without rebooting".

Goku is choosing to read "durr reboot fuck old readers"

I skipped yours and everybodys dribble for 5 pages, I wasn't going to read through crap and pointless back and forth to get a point.

I doubt its going to go your way, broken universe or not there were loose ends that were left when the Genesis wave happened, all that won't get swept aside just because some new readers want a reboot and won't put in the hard work to learn the storyline. most likely were probably going to revert to 5 minutes before Mecha Sally was taken out and take her out again then have the storyline start itself from there.

why do people insist in not reading what I'm writing

Edited by Captain Harlock

I think this "axe the other cast and reintroduce them as necessary" method has merit. And unlike the games where such a process is long and arduous (you only have a few hours every year to pack characters into), I presume we'd see most of the important cast back within a year.

This is great from a marketing perspective as it makes it easier for newer readers to get a grasp what the hell is going on.

It's also a lot better than what Fleetway did - they began slowly, steadily squeezing reprints into the actual comic until, like a cancer, it spread and took over the book entirely, with no new stories. StC then met its demise. So this method Archie's using both allows easier access by newer readers, while also not becoming chronic reprint syndrome.

• Thumbs Up 1

why do people insist in not reading what I'm writing

...Because Sonic fans are notorious for jumping to conclusions and reaching for the "RUINED FOREVER" lever before something actually comes out? Because they prefer to hear what they want to hear and complain based on those assumptions alone? Are you new to this fandom?

I agree with what you're saying though, it's not the "doom and gloom" people are making it out to be. But then again, this is the fandom that screamed bloody murder because Sonic had green eyes in Sonic 4 (why that was suddenly news 14 years after the fact, I'll never understand).

It's also a lot better than what Fleetway did - they began slowly, steadily squeezing reprints into the actual comic until, like a cancer, it spread and took over the book entirely, with no new stories. StC then met its demise. So this method Archie's using both allows easier access by newer readers, while also not becoming chronic reprint syndrome.

It probably helps that Archie has tons of options for actually getting those back-issues and stories out to readers now, and they don't need to sacrifice precious page-space on nonsense like that.

Ease of accessibility has always been something of an issue with the Archie comic, and I agree to some extent that if you enjoy it you should do some of the legwork to catch up, but it's also unfair to new readers to expect them to do that right away. They should be able to jump in and enjoy it like the rest of us, and those that really want to know the history, like I said, there are tons of great options (digital and in print) for them to explore. Longtime readers will still get the stories, world and characters they love so much, and new readers get to experience all that with us without being lost. Win-win.

Edited by Zaysho

Here, I'll even tell you in better detail how any lingering plot point is likely to be solved.

1. Plot point is gone

2. In order to disguise the mess and give a fresh start to it, a new urgent problem replaces all lingering plot points- namely, everyone's in the wrong place in the planet, which is breaking apart

3. As it starts to make sense in terms of pacing, the lingering plot points begin being reintroduced and tackled

I'm predicting massive backlash over sweeping most of the plot points under the rug, myself, if that's in fact what is going to occur.

However, if there's one thing I've learned, few of the people who care that much about such points will actually walk away over it (ergo reducing any incentive there is for Archie to reconsider).

I have faith in Ian's ability to tell a good story though so I'm sure he'll make it up to us.

Why do people insist in not reading what I'm writing

Want an honest answer?

Because you can be a wise-ass at times and talk down to people like your running the whole damn show.

Work on that, then maybe people will read what you type.

Edited by goku262002

Want an honest answer?

Because you can be a wise-ass at times and talk down to people like your running the whole damn show.

Work on that, then maybe people will read what you type.

You of all people should not be leveling the complaint towards another member here that they talk down to others. However, Harlock-- 

Goku is choosing to read "durr reboot fuck old readers"

-- you're not exactly refraining from giving him ammo in the first place.

So how about both of you regain your manners and stop this petty squabbling?

• Thumbs Up 3

Ian Flynn did a good idea by doing the soft reboot as the number of characters and some plot threads that haven't concluded might scare many new readers. From what I've seen and heard so far, I like it a lot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Really a soft reboot was the best idea, sort of like what the games are doing. The good news is that while the comics are emulating the games in terms of style, they're not emulating it in terms of overall scope: we're still keeping the comic characters, they're just being reevaulated so as to make the games more accessible.

Let's face it, to a company that wants to have brand loyalty, it's important to make it easy to pick up new fans as well, rather than being bombarded with "who's that?" by every new reader.

• Thumbs Up 3

I guess they already are Sonic characters after all, and a few have already had a makeover for the comic. Like Ray in the past with his modern'ish newer design. But seeing the Sonic Universe arc it seems Bean and Bark still look same old, same old. I guess those two and probably Nack still don't get a "newer" look to them yet. Glad to see they will still be used tho.

Speaking of, I wonder where Nack has run off to after the TTT arc since Bean and Bark seem to be without him. I liked the idea of Team Hooligan, hope it wasn't only for that arc.

I still want Lien-Da back NOW! She and Enerjak were one of the few I actually cared about from Penders.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

Bean and Bark were probably concluded to already be SEGA enough. Bean got new shoes and that's all that's needed.

I still want Lien-Da back NOW! She and Enerjak were one of the few I actually cared about from Penders.

The equal rights result leads to a possibility we'll see them again, if nothing else.

I presume Archie has a bad taste in its mouth and so will be shelving the echidnas for at least a year or two.

I know we have Uncle Chuck at least, but what do you think the chances will be of the other family members of the cast? If they do end up trimming the cast back a bit even if for a while, I would guess some of them would get the boot.

Will Bunnie still get her family resolve? Will Sonics parents be absent with a stronger influence on Uncle Chuck like SatAM?

Will be interesting to see who the SatAM'er with Chuck will be. Dulcy? Lupe? Or was Nicole considered his partner after her reveal on the latest cover?

I'm betting on Chuck being for now the only returning family member, as he's a SatAMer.

Also still betting on the surprise character being Bunnie.

The families will likely be dialed back considerably to keep things simple. At most they'll be background characters. I predict Jules won't really be of importance unless a story comes along with a means to resolve his unique condition, incidents such as his complete and utter verbal ownage of Scourge and Naugus.

I guess he really does have nerves of steel.

Uncle Chuck likely got away with being referred to as such because everyone sees him as that. They could pretend that the uncle part is an affectionate nickname for him, and not directly make the relation to Sonic. 

Lien-da was my favorite echidna character, I hope she comes back. But I guess that means if she comes back all the other echidnas have to come back. Wouldn't be fair now if just one of them escapes the warp ring.

Edited by Alice Twilight

Personally, I want Jules to be bought back in ASAP. I love the character. Especially because of afformentioned verbal ownage.