Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Ah, ah, ah! Remember Mando, he's not doing a comic. Its a "graphic novel", completely different. *cringe*
And the planned movie

You know, re-reading this twit's tweet for a moment, it seems it's specifically for fans to license his characters. Presumably for the purposes of fan-art and fan-fiction... which is just... are you freaking kidding me? Is he going to police fan works now? Seriously, screw you, Penders. Is he hurting that much for cash?

I do wonder what this means for the Archie comic, since it's still unclear. He did say "At this time and in the foreseeable future, all I will say is that whatever happens in Mamaroneck is a certain party’s business over which I have no control over." But I don't know if that means he was lying or what. The cases were dismissed after, not ruled in either party's favor.

Oh, my head...

Edited by Zaysho

You know, re-reading this twit's tweet for a moment, it seems it's specifically for fans to license his characters. Presumably for the purposes of fan-art and fan-fiction... which is just... are you freaking kidding me? Is he going to police fan works now? Seriously, screw you, Penders. Is he hurting that much for cash?

I do wonder what this means for the Archie comic, since it's still unclear. He did say "At this time and in the foreseeable future, all I will say is that whatever happens in Mamaroneck is a certain party’s business over which I have no control over." But I don't know if that means he was lying or what. The cases were dismissed after, not ruled in either party's favor.

Oh, my head...

I don't think so. Penders wouldn't be able to use Kickstarter for this purpose. Then again I don't know if Penders himself can set up a Kickstarter for people to pay him to allow another company permission to use "his characters."

I think I speak for us all when I say this; For the love of god, somebody slap Penders in the face. Several times, if neccessary...

• Thumbs Up 5

The KICKSTARTER Initiative

As some of you may have heard, there is a segment of Sonic fandom that has approached me with the goal of licensing the characters I created that were featured in stories published by Archie Comics which I own the Copyrights on, with the intent of allowing Archie to continue using my characters in their ongoing SONIC THE HEDGEHOG series.

Before I go any further, some disclaimers are necessary.

First, I had nothing to do with the idea and legwork involved with this plan. Questions were asked, and I responded to the best of my ability within the parameters I could respond.

Second, nor did current SONIC writer Ian Flynn - or any of his message board administrators - have anything to do with the concoction of the plan or anything to do with shepherding it along into fruition. The fact the discussion apparently began on his board is incidental to the entire proceeding. I imagine Ian's got enough to deal with without anyone laying the blame at his feet for this.

Third, I have an agreement in place with Archie Comics, as has been reported elsewhere, so there are elements of the plan of which I've seen questions asked which I can neither confirm or deny without breaching any confidentiality in place between the parties.

That said, given the fact I own my copyrights and am developing THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES for various media platforms, which involves the licensing of my characters for various purposes, it is a fair question when someone asks "are you selling your characters?" or "how much would it cost to license your characters?"

So let's start with the first question: Are you selling your characters?

The short answer is no.

The longer answer is after all I've been through to establish my claims to my characters and works, there is no way they are for sale. While the cynical would retort every man has his price, the reality is that I can't imagine any party likely to offer anywhere near my asking price. And that's fine with me. I'd rather finish telling the story of these characters, as I believe in the opportunities these characters and stories represent to me.

So if I'm not selling my characters, one could surmise I'm open to licensing my characters, and they would indeed be correct. However, the version of the characters I'm most interested in licensing is how they appear in THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES.

As for how they appear anywhere else, that's another matter.

I've already gone on record stating that The Powers That Be at Archie Comics can use my characters anytime, but whether they would be willing to do so is another matter, which is their right.

With this KICKSTARTER initiative coming on the heels of the release of SONIC #252, it seems some fans have different ideas.

Since I already have enough people clamoring for my head on a pike as being greedy, selfish, unreasonable and so on, and since the question was asked in all seriousness and sincerity, I decided to respond in kind, with the caveat that my response and terms I set down are neither confirmation or denial of any points of agreement I may or may not have with Archie Comics.

As Ethan Davis, the person who initially approached me with the questions in the first place, provided me the link to see for myself the discussion that was going on over on Ian's message board, I did check out several of the posts, which is a rarity as I barely have time to read and respond what's posted on my own message board. Still, it allowed me to see what concerns needed addressing that I may not have contemplated when initially responding to Ethan.

Originally, I had stated to Ethan how Archie Comics would have access to my complete library of characters for use in all-new stories with the following conditions:

A) There are only three untouchable characters: Julie-Su, Locke and Lara-Su. The only thing anyone at Archie Comics would have to run by me regarding any of my characters is if they wanted to kill off a certain character. Beyond that, anything in the present day timeline is fair game. Have fun.

B) With regards to the use of the characters Julie-Su and Locke in the present day timeline, nothing must contradict what was established in my MOBIUS: 25 YEARS LATER stories. Those stories, especially Locke's death, are canon as far as THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES and I'm concerned.

C) Lara-Su is the only character in which any story featuring her which Archie Comics wishes to put into production MUST be reviewed and approved by me.

With regards to any contradictions between what's already established in the series and my requirements here, that's for the creators on the book to figure out how to make it work. I'm trying to stay as much out of their business as they are of mine. I've made my peace with the present day timeline a long time ago, being perfectly happy to settle for playing in the sandbox I'm building for THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES.

But after much discussion with those whose guidance has helped immensely over the past several years since this whole undertaking began, I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what I agree to if Archie Comics doesn't share the same objectives.

While I appreciate and am supportive of the fans' efforts to see my characters back in the pages of the SONIC series, it is up to them to convince Archie Comics it is in their best interests and that of the long-term success of the SONIC series that my characters play a part in that universe once again.

I could suggest buying more copies of the books reprinting my works, but that sounds way too self-serving. I could suggest many other things, but that would sound like I'm an active participant in this endeavor when in truth I am not.

If anyone actually wishes to engage in licensing my characters for whatever product they wish to produce, I will gladly put them in touch with my attorneys at the present time.

As for the money raised should the initiative actually get off the ground, I believe I have a better chance of convincing people Monopoly money is legit tender than actually seeing one red cent that any of the fans pledge, as it'll take more than me to make this work. So while any dollar amount I quoted Ethan more than likely would have been considered reasonable by the great majority of fans, I suspect releasing those numbers would again imply an involvement on my part in the initiative far beyond the reality.

There's also the matter of Ian probably having a year's worth of stories already planned out. After the year he's been through, give the man a break in expecting to make massive adjustments yet again on the fly because of this.

I wish Ethan the best of luck on his endeavors, and that's all I have to say on this matter.

this is from Ken Penders make what you want out of it

Yeah, Julie-Su and co are dead then. 

Edit: Just to make clear, I don't mean "BLAM BLAM BLAM" dead, I mean that their career in the Archie comic is effectively over.

Edited by VEDJ-F

Yeah, Julie-Su and co are dead then. 

and nothing of value was lost(jk)

Edit: Nevermind

Edited by Dejimon11

So let me get this straight.

1.) He's trying to police people that want to make fanfictions of his fanfiction to prevent fanfiception.

2.) At least TWO of the character's that some people (myself included) want to see are "untouchable."

3.) We have to trade in the noble sacrifice of the fantastic conclusion to the Enerjak Reborn saga... for a comparatively crappy death by bedside for Locke.

And the biggest one: he wants MONEY. A KICKSTARTER. To launch his totally not comic Graphic Novel.

...Is it okay if none of this makes any sense? Because I can't see any sense in any of those points. Someone please help me.

By untouchable, he means that they can't die, not that Archie can't use them.

But it's still enough to see why Archie wouldn't want to use them.

By untouchable, he means that they can't die, not that Archie can't use them.

But it's still enough to see why Archie wouldn't want to use them.

Oh.

That still doesn't make any sense. I can sort of understand that for Julie - Su or Lara - Su, but that still emphasises point #3. Locke already died by noble sacrifice. Why would he be brought back to life just so he could die by bedside?

But you're right. Archie wouldn't want to use them regardless.

Oh.

That still doesn't make any sense. I can sort of understand that for Julie - Su or Lara - Su, but that still emphasises point #3. Locke already died by noble sacrifice. Why would he be brought back to life just so he could die by bedside?

Well, that's even more of a clusterfuck, because Penders doesn't want Locke to be dead, and didn't want him to die then in the first place. He basically would want that undone (whether by bringing back to life or by retcon) so that Locke would die in his M:25YL story (which he would want to be CANON if Locke, Julie-Su and Lara-Su were to be used, thus rendering M:30YL moot as well (well...more moot than it was already)) instead. 

So let me get this straight.

1.) He's trying to police people that want to make fanfictions of his fanfiction to prevent fanfiception.

2.) At least TWO of the character's that some people (myself included) want to see are "untouchable."

3.) We have to trade in the noble sacrifice of the fantastic conclusion to the Enerjak Reborn saga... for a comparatively crappy death by bedside for Locke.

And the biggest one: he wants MONEY. A KICKSTARTER. To launch his totally not comic Graphic Novel.

...Is it okay if none of this makes any sense? Because I can't see any sense in any of those points. Someone please help me.

It doesn't make any sense because you guys are intentionally misreading everything in order to be angry. Fuck's sake, you're making me have to defend Penders. I'm at work so I'll have to write more complex later, but everything you're blaming on him was the fans. THE FANS want a Kickstarter. THE FANS approached him with the proposal of money. ALL PENDERS HAS DONE IS SAY "nice and all, but if you're serious about this you'll need to convince Archie. Here are my conditions- you're licensing MY characters, this is how I want them to be. Other than that, in the organizational sense of the thing, I wash my hands off."

I repeat, PENDERS HAS DONE NOTHING WRONG HERE. EVERYTHING WAS STARTED BY FANS REGARDING THIS KICKSTARTER IDEA. STOP BLAMING THE MAN FOR WHAT HE HASN'T DONE, HE'S GOT ENOUGH TO BLAME ON WHAT HE HAS.

EDIT: AND NO FOR FUCK'S SAKE HE'S NOT POLICING FANFICTION OR ANYTHING HE HASN'T EVEN SAID ANYTHING ABOUT FANFICTION

Edited by Captain Harlock

EDIT: AND NO FOR FUCK'S SAKE HE'S NOT POLICING FANFICTION OR ANYTHING HE HASN'T EVEN SAID ANYTHING ABOUT FANFICTION

...Ooookay. Maybe... sit down and breathe deeply for a bit. No one's life is on the line here, comrade. It's... it's gonna be alright.

Yeah as crazy as Penders is I had the feeling that the Kickstarter was something started by the fans and not Penders himself. Seems pointless now that Penders clarified that pretty much the only characters that actually mattered are never going to come back. At the end of the day it's just another petition that won't get off the ground.

Wait.... Why are Julie-Su and Locke "untouchable" in terms of dying and stuff anyways? Does he really think he can try and tie in his own comics stories with any new ones done by Archie?

Cause really I think we all know where he can stick his characters if thats the case. :V

• Thumbs Up 2

He's said from the start he considers all stories done so far, even Ian's, canon, since he realises saying "Oh none of that matters" would beat the whole point of this entire thing and stray away the few fans left who want to know how the story advances from what he's done already.

So, I'm a little confused. He said that everything is more or less fair game in Archie's present timeline, but must somehow not contradict his M:25L timeline? I think it's a little late for that (Locke died to free Knuckles from Finitevus's control)... and didn't things get warped and altered in that timeline anyway (#166-167 and SU #5-8)? Not to mention it's treated as a possible timeline, not the definite future (SU#25-28 show another). And wasn't the idiotic "Chaos Knuckles" storyline (which I'm learning is fairly integral to certain aspects of M:25L) buried when, they only way he could figure out how to "fix" it was to temporarily KILL Knuckles before bringing him back (I ask because I quit reading the book for a long while when the Chaos Knuckles nonsense happened)?

Why can't the Lara-Su Chronicles be treated as just another alternate timeline/zone/reality? It allows Penders to "play in his own sandbox" without mucking things up for the Archie series more than they already are.

I'm not even going to try to make sense of this whole Kickstarter nonsense the fans are cooking up (I'm glad that was clarified because I initially thought it was his idea), as all it's doing is creating free publicity for Penders's nonsense.

Edited by Zaysho

But doesn't it already kinda not matter? He doesn't have the rights to Knuckles, Angel Island or the Chaos or Master Emeralds so he's already lost most of the big connections linking his work to the Archie Sonic series. So really whats the point?

I wish the Sonic comics could work in Ristar somehow.

Yo know, I wouldn't mind some cameos from other Sega Characters in the comic or even more references.like someone performing a Tetsuzanko or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

Think like you actually like his stuff. Won't make sense otherwise. Knuckles will be referred to as Praetorian, I think there was mention of Power Crystals or something like that, etc.

He wants his stuff to be canon because its his stuff and he wants his stuff to be canon. The comics can do what they want so long as in the end they tie back to his stuff, IE for an example having Locke come back to life.

EDIT: And by stuff he means specifically Julie-Su, Locke, Lara-Su, although I don't doubt that despite him saying they'd be free game now, he'd be just as picky with the other cast.

Edited by Captain Harlock

But doesn't it already kinda not matter? He doesn't have the rights to Knuckles, Angel Island or the Chaos or Master Emeralds so he's already lost most of the big connections linking his work to the Archie Sonic series. So really whats the point?

He probably believes these stories can somehow stand on their own, when really the only reason anybody gave a crap about anything he developed for the comic series (I refuse to say "created") is because it became part of a larger mythology for Sonic. I think he's counting on people who either don't know any better or his hardcore fans on actually buying... whatever the hell it's supposed to be ("IT'S NOT A COMIC! IT'S A GRAPHIC NOVEL!")

He wants his stuff to be canon because its his stuff and he wants his stuff to be canon. The comics can do what they want so long as in the end they tie back to his stuff, IE for an example having Locke come back to life.

Doesn't make it any less stupid. He's not on the book anymore, and insists that he'd rather play in his own sandbox, why should it matter what's done in the comic series? Yes they're "his" characters, and even if those three characters are untouchable (or, unkillable, rather), but I don't see how he should have his cake and eat it too (it just sounds like "Sure, Archie, you can do whatever you want with my characters... but you have to do what I want."). There's a whole multiverse concept, that he partially developed, that shows it's not impossible for he and Archie to go their own ways without actually contradicting each other.

Edited by Zaysho

Stop thinking of it from a story perspective.

He owns the characters. For the characters to reappear, they have to be licensed to Archie. Archie doesn't tell SEGA what to do. And if this idea were to move forward, Penders would be in the same exact position. It's Archie going to him to use his toys. He legally gets to say they have to play like he wants.