Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Picked up Sonic Select #8, Super Special #8 and Digest #4 along with Universe #55 and Sonic #252 and finally Mega Man #28 today.

Can report that the reprints are all in order, all *he who shall not be named* characters are still present and accounted for. Don't know why they call the Tails collection in Select #8 remastered. It all looks the same to me besides a touch more colour than I remember.

The issue includes an introduction by Ian, "Submersible Rehearsal" from the Triple Trouble Specal, "Growing Pains" parts 1 & 2 from Sonic #28 and #29. The entire Tails mini-series, And finally "The Chosen One" parts 1 & 2 from Sonic #108 and #150.

It advertises #9 "The Games" being available in March 2014 in the back. Its nice to not have to get out the originals since all my issues get bagged and boarded after I read them. Looking forward to the next one :)

Wait when's 252 coming out?

I'm in New Zealand and I picked #252 up today. Then again my local doesn't abide by the street dates and puts them out for subscribers and on the shelf when they arrive in the weekly shipment from the states. I'd guess already or pretty soon tho since I am a bit late picking up my comics this month >.<

where the hell was this consistency when Sonic X was around?

Not quite there yet. Sure Sonic X happened when things were getting more streamlined, but this consistency push I'm referring to didn't kick in until roughly 2010.

As for the comic's uniqueness...well, they haven't even done that much to make it more streamlined thus far. Yes you have the Sonic crying thing, yes there's the family thing. The not referring to the planet as Mobius thing and the redesigns? More Archie's decision than SEGA.

Eh, we have another 20 years of the comic to look forward to and have all our questions answered.. No one is asking one important question thou : What became of the Downunda FF! :P

I wish the Sonic comics could work in Ristar somehow.

He's been on a cover or 2 and in the background of Knothole every now and then

Unrelated to the subject Clevelands back in Quahog Seth Macfarlane posted on Twitter "RT @spartygirl: @SethMacFarlane since The Cleveland Show got cancelled does that mean the Browns are moving to Quahog? // Yup" can't wait

Figured he'd head back.. Seth'll probably flex his all mighty strength with FOX and turn an episode of FG into a Cleveland finale

So I guess all the years of damage to King Acorn's body never happened in this timeline.

Poor guy has taken the most abuse of any character over the 20 years.. He was already in a wheel chair wilting away very early on.. Add the 15 years since then and you wonder how he's managed to survive that long

So, on another note any more thoughts on what may happen, and what do you guys think about my theory of Uncle Chuck bringing in Shard(since he may not have been restored yet in this timeline, and that means Chuck could do the rebuild now with this major crisis on hand. He is also a popular character so his return is likely)

He'll be back. When I was running around Comic-con in my Shard outfit I discovered how popular he really is and how so many fans were disappointed he went down so easily Edited by Jix Hedgehog

Wait, wut? You had a Shard outfit? Post the pics. Right here, right now. Anyway, hopefully I'll be getting my issue tomorrow, but I haven't had an email from DHC telling me it's been dispatched yet, so...*checks DHC website*Nope, no changes there, either.

Not quite there yet. Sure Sonic X happened when things were getting more streamlined, but this consistency push I'm referring to didn't kick in until roughly 2010.

As for the comic's uniqueness...well, they haven't even done that much to make it more streamlined thus far. Yes you have the Sonic crying thing, yes there's the family thing. The not referring to the planet as Mobius thing and the redesigns? More Archie's decision than SEGA.

Wish it was their then is what I'm saying. and its the little stuff that eventually turns into a rockslide, we don't make it look like were stressing on the little stuff then SEGA may think its ok to chop off a huge part without thinking anyone would care. 

Picked up #252 this morning and was excited to finally get to read it. Avoiding all those damned spoilers felt like it was getting more difficult.

I have to say, regardless of why the changes happened (or that they happened) I'm genuinely intrigued as to where this will lead.

We're seeing shades of characters remembering, particularly when the interact with NICOLE (as seen with Tails and Naugus) and Sonic's memories are mixing between the old and new (I'm kinda shocked he didn't immediately point out that King Acorn looks MUCH younger... and actually resembles a squirrel finally! But I guess that's the result of the memories mixing, such as Eggman's appearance. Did King Max and Elias get combined somehow?).

I don't think the old continuity is dead and buried, and I can hope "Countdown to Chaos" will start addressing just what is going on, as the mysteries are simply piling up. It'll be interesting seeing as this lines up with the current Blaze arc in SU as well, since Amy and Cream don't seem to have clear memories, though Blaze does, they'll likely be restored when they find their way back. All in all, I'm just looking forward to seeing where this goes, and hoping that things get back on track, and maybe we will ultimately find out the fate of the characters that had to be removed during the legal battle (Thrash sent them to another dimension, so it's likely they weren't explicitly affected by the Genesis Wave, but as for whether they will return ever is up in the air). Maybe not now, but eventually (if ever).

Wait, wut? You had a Shard outfit? Post the pics. Right here, right now. Anyway, hopefully I'll be getting my issue tomorrow, but I haven't had an email from DHC telling me it's been dispatched yet, so...*checks DHC website*Nope, no changes there, either.

I got a mention a while ago - http://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/07/comic-con-cosplay-watch-shard/

remember The only 2 comics, subscribers will be getting in September 2013, is Sonic the Hedgehog 253 and Sonic Universe 56. There is no new Mega-Man for this month. 

Edited by scourgeandfionafan123

remember The only 2 comics, subscribers will be getting in September 2013, is Sonic the Hedgehog 253 and Sonic Universe 56. There is no new Mega-Man for this month.
Yes there's is. Mega Man 29

Honestly, I thought it was Sega that was making them do these things, otherwise, archie wouldn't abide by any of these rules and be open to doing as they please in the stories? That's how I had always heard it. That if they tried to make Sonic cry, Sega comes in and says NO! BAD ARCHIE!

my source is http://www.bumbleking.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=75160a3dde685c39aa9237e4313f2bfa, and it didn't mention anything about Mega Man 29 being shipped out to subscribers, so I thought they delayed it until October. 

Because you're looking on the wrong place you ding-dong. Bumbleking has a Mega Man section. Obviously there's not going to be mentions of Mega Man 29 in the SONIC section :P

Honestly, I thought it was Sega that was making them do these things, otherwise, archie wouldn't abide by any of these rules and be open to doing as they please in the stories? That's how I had always heard it. That if they tried to make Sonic cry, Sega comes in and says NO! BAD ARCHIE!

What?! Fuck you SEGA, I'd quite like to see Sonic cry. It gives him more depth as a character and stops him from being a stereotype hero of 80's cartoons.

From what I've heard, their "issue" with Sonic crying isn't him crying at all, so much as they don't want him to appear like a blubbering wreck. If the original pencilled version of Future!Sonic's reactions to his kids being reality warped out of existence are anything to go by... eh, I actually kinda agree with them, even with the original context of the scenes in mind.

Edited by Komodin
  • Thumbs Up 4

People like to blame SEGA for everything and cry because SEGA has the gall to try and keep control of the public image of the franchise, but everything Ian said points to these changes being made by Archie in an effort to streamline and modernize the comic.

@InfinityAlex- Yeah, fuck you SEGA for not letting Sonic cry! Except when he does! But I'm going to believe a random post!

• Thumbs Up 2

Wednesday, September 4, 2013, start time : 5:03 PM

This is a review of issues 230 to 247.  As you will see in the picture provided or the link to the picture provided, I have finally opened those 17 issues that I had received in the mail, but had yet opened until yesterday.  

Now I will say this, as I opened and look through them, I will admit that I had an uneasy feeling when I saw Sally in her robot form, doing and saying things that were not of her character.  Now I understand that in the story, she was not in control of her actions.  But even still, I could not imagine her doing or saying those things.  But again I understand that this was all done to develop her character even more than it had ever been, as well as opened the door for other characters to grab the spotlight and run with it.

As far as Sally's sacrifice went. From what I saw and read, she and Nicole had basically no other option, and from how the scene was written, because she was given a second chance at life, she decided to give that back to the planet that she loves, and to her friends and family that she loves.

As far as her being modified, one of the things I like to look for is the tiniest detail that one might overlook.  You see for those that feel that Ian Flynn had the Doctor gut her and basically rebuild her from the ground up, let's just say that my theory on her having weaponized armor welded onto her body, I think can be backed up.  You may ask how can it be backed up?  Very simple, you see the tools that the Doctor was using, were measuring tools for her arms and her head, and from what I could see and tell, he was measuring her as if he was measuring her for an outfit or a dress.  But then it is confirmed even more,  when you look at issue 239 or 240,  there is a splash panel on top of the other pages of Sally and Amy engaging each other in a fight.  And when you look at this splash panel you see Sally's tail sticking out of her backside as if she's wearing a uniform or as I have said before armor.  Now one may ask  Well what about the laser Cannon in her head?,  again look at the littlest detail,  she had a connector connecting the laser Cannon to her brain inside, thus proving that there was no brain removal.  Another way at proving this theory correct.  Is why would  Eggman modified a power ring, if he had literally taken her apart and rebuilt her, if he was worried about a regular power ring restoring her free will, he wouldn't.

Now speaking of her free will, issues 237 and mostly 238 Prove to me that Ian Flynn had originally planned on climaxing this story arc at the 250th issue, because when you look at 238 and Sally's confrontation with Tails, you could see bits of Sally coming through, as she gave Tails an option that she did not have to give him if she was fully gone.  And when you look at 239 or 240, she could have easily gone to her brother's hut first and foremost, but she saved it for last and when you look at the picture/panel of her looking out the window and saying target lost, you could almost see Sally breaking through because of the possible emotion of sadness seen on her face.  Which again tells me that Ian Flynn had originally planned for Sally to regain her free will as the first step and then be restored in 250 as the final step.  But unfortunately thanks to some behind-the-scenes shenanigans, plans were altered.

Now I spoke earlier of characters grabbing the spotlight and running with it.  Well what surprised me and I'm sure surprised a lot of you, was the fact that we had maybe four characters that you would never have thought of getting the spotlight.  Let's take Isabella Mongoose, not only did she become the newest member of the Royal concile, but she was responsible for having that cabinet allow Nicole back into the city.  Then we have the pink wolf twins (Lyteea and Lyco) not just getting the spotlight and running with it in 237 and 238, but also in the SU arc about the secret freedom fighters as well as in 240 and 241, and then we have Erma, who in 247 was the only one that could decipher what Silver was talking about, when he revealed Sally as being the traitor.  Erma basically said that between Silver's future and their present, that the information might have been lost, and that historians in Silver's time or leading up to it, didn't know that the tratior was working  against their will or that the possibility of turning flesh and blood beings into robots even existed.  So I do give credit to Ian Flynn on not just giving characters that as many fans have pointed out needed more of the spotlight, but by giving characters we as fans never would have thought of getting the spotlight and having it given to them.

Now as far as the characters acting out of character, I think Ian was trying to put a bit of a reality spin on the situation.  In other words when you have so much emotional stress put on you, the last thing you need is for somebody to come out of nowhere and press the wrong emotional button that will set you off and make you act like you normally wouldn't. And that is why a lot of the characters were OOC in this story arc as some fans had pointed out and complained about.  

As far as Endangered Species go, in 243 you can see where Ian Flynn was going with it, but as soon as 244 came around you could also see what he had to alter due to the behind-the-scenes shenanigans that were taking place.  And if you don't believe me, there is a fan out there that posted some pics of the original draft,  picture drafts that is, of what was originally supposed to be drawn and take place.  

I will agree on one thing, the advertisements/adaptions based around sporting events and games could have waited or taking place at the appropriate time.  Of course I'm talking about issue 242 and Universe issue 45.  I agree those could have waited or could have been done at the appropriate times that they needed to be done.

And as far as Worlds Collide goes, I believe you still could have done it, but have it done either in Universe and Mega man or wait until the original story arc that was supposed to climax in 250 is/was over.

Now as far as the retcon goes, it seems Nicole will be the key in everyone except Sonic regaining their memories of the past timeline/past world, and it might even indicate that the events in 252 had occurred perhaps before the Endangered Species arc, which means down the line we may see certain characters returning.

Overall, it has been one heck of a bumpy ride that will either continue to get more bumpier as we head into Countdown to Chaos or will start to smooth out and be a smoothed and enjoyable ride from here on in.  We just have to wait and find out.

And that is my review that I promised when this whole story arc began, I promised a review and this is it.  Grade wise on this entire story arc, I give it a C+, because I know whither I get along with the guy or not or whither anybody else gets along with Ian or not, they have to admit that he did his damnedest. Despite the fact that there were many alterations and interruptions that had to be made and had taken place.

End of review.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013, End time : 5:48 PM

If it is Archie then it is archie. I was just going by what I had heard or what people have told me before. I can't say I'm an expert by any means on all knowledge of this fanchise. When I was shown that very image of the future King Sonic crying over his kids being wiped like that, yes I thought that was a lame move. What father wouldn't be devistated from losing his kids. It would make perfect sense to cry there.

I don't disagree with Sega making sure Sonic is in character of course. He is what he is. The main thing I have always thought is to make sure he isn't unemotional and just bottles everything up and never expresses himself because that wouldn't be cool to express yourself. I just want the characters to have emotions that fit the event, and not just be stiffled to some stereotype of cool people can't show emotions or they aren't cool. I know Sonic shows emotions at times, but I do believe there are points where he could have shown more emotion than he did.

What?! Fuck you SEGA, I'd quite like to see Sonic cry. It gives him more depth as a character and stops him from being a stereotype hero of 80's cartoons.

Depends on what you mean by "80's hero". Who wouldn't want to see Sonic cry 80's macho-man tears?

RRRRAAAAGGHH!! I can't use my deviantART to host my pictures!! Has karma finally caught up with me and denied me this simple feature?!

In lighter news, I totally don't know what to get with this big event. Yeah, this comic has been screaming reboot/revamp/rebranding for years. However, right in the middle of the arc is a hell of way to put the old continuity for repairs.  So all the bitching is understandable when fans have invested 20 years into this ever changing world that has lasted waaaayyy past it's shelf life. 

I mean I understand it had to do with legalities, but when DC was hit with the same problem when the Shuster and Seigal families gained a crucial part of Superman's mythology, forcing DC to rewrite Superman's origins, at least they where able to give a goodbye to the old continuity when this problem turned into an opportunity to create the new 52.

However...if you're going to change the universe, then wipe it down and let it dry, don't just clean part of it and keep the rest dusty. What is the point of referencing the old continuity if nothing going to be done with it? I mean, having Eggy and Sonic be the only ones with some hint of the past was ok, but why restore the memories of everyone else? Isn't the point of a reboot is to explore new designs, new locations, new dynamics and relationships? It feels like a copout of a copout, teasing the old guard with their precious childhood while affirming that everything has changed forever (or at least until the next legal shenanigans)!!!

Well at least the tone of Pirate Plunder Panic is kind of consistent. Though that whole Metal Sonic embargo is ridiculous if you ask me.

Edited by FalconKick

Depends on what you mean by "80's hero". Who wouldn't want to see Sonic cry 80's macho-man tears?

RRRRAAAAGGHH!! I can't use my deviantART to host my pictures!! Has karma finally caught up with me and denied me this simple feature?!

Because dude, your not allowed to be doing that! not at DeviantART or anywhere else, it pisses people off.

You want image hosting? use these and stop hotlinking:

http://imageshack.us/

http://imgur.com/

http://photobucket.com/