Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

No, see, SEGA should not be allowed to protect against brand dilution. Who cares if the trademark, and what they sell publicly as "Metal Sonic", is not a wise-cracking black-and-gold robot with a cannon for a hand, or a dramatic speech-giving one, or a pirate?

The only way licensing is allowed is if the licensor gives total freedom! You're either Hasbro or a has-been! Fuck's sake.

tl;dr throughout two posts of rage and passive-aggressiveness:

SEGA is not the stereotype of the boogieman. Archie DOES make alterations in the comic of their own will, since they ARE still a comics editor. If characters are being introduced in the book that directly confuse or contradict their products, SEGA's perfectly allowed to put a stop to that.

Licensing is great when the licensor gives freedom. It can also be great when the Licensor's controlling things. Stop making a great big octopus of a question out of this.

The thing is, the Archie and SEGA continuities are two completely separate things. SEGA shouldn't be demanding that the comics reflect the games, because they're set in a different universe.

• Thumbs Up 1

to be fair when shard was first introduced he was called mecha sonic

Nooo, when Shard was introduced he was "A Rebuilt Metal Sonic". the mecha thing didn't come until (from what I can remember) endangered species.

Nooo, when Shard was introduced he was "A Rebuilt Metal Sonic". the mecha thing didn't come until (from what I can remember) endangered species.

im talking about his first appearance in sonic issue 25 its the same one

The thing is, the Archie and SEGA continuities are two completely separate things. SEGA shouldn't be demanding that the comics reflect the games, because they're set in a different universe.

And does that matter in the marketstand?

Every kid who looks at the magazine wall in the grocery shop, does he know? Even if he does, does it matter?

Continuity is not the end-all be-all authority of how a license should be handled. The comic is first an ad, second a comic, third fanservice.

On 5/9/2013, at 22:33, CHER wrote:

> I don't get how the concept of "SEGA doesn't give a crap that the comic is <<ooh a different continuity you don't call the shots here lel!!!>>, their license their rules" is so hard to grasp

Edited by Albator

That was Metal Sonic though, back then everything was a mess and they got the name wrong hell they even gave him a mouth, But its not like those monkeys pounding on typewriters over at SEGA Of America knew what they were doing (Calling Amy "Princess Sally" after all). They started calling him Metal Sonic later on when he was rebult with the power gem.

Works in SEGA's favor now, but back then Metal Sonic = Shard.

Annnnd look at that, we somehow ended up what Jet Prower and FatPanda were talking about seperately.

Edited by goku262002

And does that matter in the marketstand?

Every kid who looks at the magazine wall in the grocery shop, does he know? Even if he does, does it matter?

Continuity is not the end-all be-all authority of how a license should be handled. The comic is first an ad, second a comic, third fanservice.

I don't care. Their demand for conformity is ruining the comic and I want it to stop!

• Thumbs Up 1

So yeah how about that issue 252? I thought it was the most interesting of the 3 books post crossover

Positives

*The nanites are gone im sorry but the book relied on them way to much

*More game elements like sonic colors and Westside Island

*Sonic, Eggman(and co.) and tails remember the crossover

*the redesigns
*Evan's art had improved minus a few probems here and there

*What sonic did with the tails doll at the end of the issue

*Sonic being as confused as the readers

Negatives

*how is it that Nicole is the one who can make tails and naugus remember? I dont consider it to be deux its just weird then again ive seen weirder things in this franchise

Not Sure how i feel

*The King Naugus subplot not getting resolved the way it was planned

*Sally getting derobotised

*things may have altered or never happened(Chaotix arc)

then again comsic rectons what are you going to do overall 252 felt like a breath of fresh air and interested in whats going to happen next

We really need to calm down with this. While I agree that Sega shouldn't be butting into the comics TOO much, they dohave some rights with it of course since it is their series. You just dont run in through and change the rules after things are already in place. That is what pisses so many people off. Its not the fact changes are being made its the fact things are being thrown out after the fact. These are two different things and they shouldn't be exactly the same in my eyes. Being exactly like the games is just a bad thing since the games stories aren't fleshed out enough. Do you want the comics to be as shallow as the game stories? I'd hope not.

Now, can't we just all agree to disagree one some of these things and not argue all the time over it? It really does make me sick to have to always see people getting mad at each other over all this.

• Thumbs Up 1

You just dont run in through and change the rules after things are already in place. 

You do if you think the rules in place are fundamentally wrong, and possibly have the power to correct them. 

heres an example of what i was talking about

lotc_600.jpg

why would you change something as awesome like Ben Bates  to this

NewCrusaders_Legacy-0.jpg

stuff like this happens alot theres another example but im too lazy to fine it so stop looking for an excuse to blame SEGA for ever

I like the second one way more. The man bending over the table... with the creepy smile, really ruined the first one. I call it an improvement.

You do if you think the rules in place are fundamentally wrong, and possibly have the power to correct them. 

THat's the thing, what you see as wrong and I see as wrong are two totally different things. I've seen nothing wrong with what was happening before all this stuff started. If you saw something, that's one thing, but I saw nothing wrong at all. That's why I say its changing the rules in the middle of things.

This all really is getting old though.

Being exactly like the games is just a bad thing since the games stories aren't fleshed out enough. Do you want the comics to be as shallow as the game stories? I'd hope not.

Here's the thing, though: what proof do you have that they're gonna make the comics exactly like the games? That they're trying to streamline things so that the comics aren't a continuity lockout like they used to be (to some degree) does not necessarily imply that.

• Thumbs Up 2

But they weren't fundamentally wrong! They were perfectly acceptable for the universe they existed in. So what if they didn't match the canon of the games?

Edited by ElectroKyurem

I like the second one way more. The man bending over the table... with the creepy smile, really ruined the first one. I call it an improvement.
They could of just change his facial expression i don't know maybe its because I like a more cartoonish art than trying to be realistic

But they weren't fundamentally wrong! They were perfectly acceptable for the universe they existed in.

and that universe was fundamentally irrelevant.

Ouroboros.png

But they weren't fundamentally wrong! They were perfectly acceptable for the universe they existed in. So what if they didn't match the canon of the games?

Well, clearly, they thought otherwise, man. Their license; their rules, I guess.

Here's the thing, though: what proof do you have that they're gonna make the comics exactly like the games? That they're trying to streamline things so that the comics aren't a continuity lockout like they used to be (to some degree) does not necessarily imply that.
They're adding more game elements but keeping what made them original for 20 years in their like original characters(why do people oppose original characters so much) and the freedom fighters etc

and that universe was fundamentally irrelevant.

Ouroboros.png

Albator, stop. You are trying my patience.

And what does relevance have to do with anything? That doesn't excuse what SEGA's doing in the least!

We really need to calm down with this. While I agree that Sega shouldn't be butting into the comics TOO much, they dohave some rights with it of course since it is their series. You just dont run in through and change the rules after things are already in place. That is what pisses so many people off. Its not the fact changes are being made its the fact things are being thrown out after the fact. These are two different things and they shouldn't be exactly the same in my eyes. Being exactly like the games is just a bad thing since the games stories aren't fleshed out enough. Do you want the comics to be as shallow as the game stories? I'd hope not.

Now, can't we just all agree to disagree one some of these things and not argue all the time over it? It really does make me sick to have to always see people getting mad at each other over all this.

I understand that this is their franchise and they are overlords, but they got to understand that this isn't Game!Sonic and all of the same rules don't need to apply with Comic!Sonic and they do with Game!Sonic, Its a different universe! Let us be different and not conform little by little. Archie isn't going to fly off the handles anymore with the comic.

Last thing I want for this comic is a full blown reboot into the games' universe and following by the games rules, guidelines, and mandate ridden hell. it'd be nothing but game adaptions with little to no change in how they were told in the games with no character developement or any kind of world building.

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 1

Albator, stop. You are trying my patience.

And what does relevance have to do with anything? That doesn't excuse what SEGA's doing in the least!

SEGA doesn't need to be excused.

I should NOT have to ask for permission to store MY shoes the way I like them, just because someone else does it differently.

EDIT: As for irrelevance, your argument is SEGA doesn't need to tamper with the comic universe because it has its own rules. The comic universe is irrelevant and so are its rules. It's a licenced product.

Insert another Ouroboros here.

Edited by Albator

Ugh, I give up. I love the sonic comics, but I don't love everyone wanting to fight all the time over every little stupid thing. While I think there are problems involving both sega and archie, I still like this series. When people just want to fight all the time, I constantly feel bad about wanting to be a fan in the end. When the fanbases only seem like they want to fight in the end instead of enjoying what is happening in their series, I just feel bad at times to be a part of it. I've at times in the past felt very aashamed of this fanbase for how much we fight over tiny things.

Look, I get it, we don't agree on everything, but I do think we are just overworrying about everything way too soon to be this mad over everything. I need to see more.

• Thumbs Up 1

SEGA doesn't need to be excused.

I should NOT have to ask for permission to store MY shoes the way I like them, just because someone else does it differently.

Oh, so they should have free reign over everything that happens, should they? Bullshit. I don't care if it's their license, what they're doing is wrong.

Why is it wrong. What fucked-up moral system do you have that says "you don't get to determine what happens to your property".

@Jet- Every fanbase does this, and every fanbase then has the people going "why must we fight we're the worst fanbase!!". It's a natural cycle. That said, etiquette rules would say there's no need for this heated discussion to carry on.

It's my prerrogative to ignore said etiquette rules unless an authority, such as the mods, tell me to stop.

That said, maybe it'd be easier for everyone to just do what Goku did to me and put everyone else in the ignore list.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, so they should have free reign over everything that happens, should they? Bullshit. I don't care if it's their license, what they're doing is wrong.

Im mixed towards this. I get what your saying but you got to realize its their stuff SEGA is finally getting their act together with their franchise and they dont want the comics to end up like the crap it was a long time ago. Remember there were(and still are) people who believe that the sonic comic is all about romances for a good like 7 years. their are ideas that Ian had put that SEGA regected like for example in the crossover he wanted to fuse metal sonic and bass but they told him "No!". Lets be grateful that we have some of the key elements of the comics and SEGA allows them to have originality