Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Oh god I'm afraid to click, summerize it for me plex?

...Blah blah blah…“this is nothing like the megaman kickstarter thing” blah blah

“I don’t care what happens to my characters in the archie comics.” Blah blah blah “leave Penderrrs Aloooonnnneee” blah blah blah “I’m old, making money is hard”, blah blah blah.

In the specific post linked, Penders loses his temper briefly and is then clamed down by Bob.

TGIF, September 6, 2013.  Start time 10:28 AM

One of the things that I've mentioned and asked about, is, "Was these past two years, the best time for Ian Flynn to do his epic World Tour 2/Death Egg Mark 2/Mecha Sally arc?"

Well, my obvious opinionated answer to that, is no.  And here is why.

Now, I don't want to shift or put the complete blame of the timing of this two-year story arc all on Ian.  You see, despite how you feel about him, he wasn't given a heads up of any kind from any of the higher-ups at Archie comics or even Sega.  Because you see, if someone way above him would've taken the time to call him or e-mail him, heck even Skype him, to let him know that those previous two years would not be the best time to do this arc due to some behind-the-scenes shenanigans and court proceedings that were beyond their control or even his.  Ian, in my opinion could've had the opportunity to not only put the storyline on hold, but as crazy as it sounds, perhaps make it even grander, and as some fans have complained about, make it more sensible, in other words, make the plot/arc easier to understand and follow.

If someone higher up then Ian or even Paul could have done that, not only would allow Ian to do what I just mentioned, but also to probably do the Worlds Collide crossover before hand as a "Another Time, Another Place" event, that could have spanned the issues in which this recent two-year arc took place in.

It could have even open the door for other possible stories to take place, and through these other stories, Ian could have found a similar/different method to get where he was going with issue 230.

This isn't the first time that something like this has happened.   You see, back in the early to mid-90s, DC comics was planning on doing a wedding issue between Superman/Clark Kent and Lois Lane.  The only problem, was at this time, Warner Bros. and DC comics were producing the live-action Lois and Clark : The New Adventures Of Superman on ABC.  Now what happened here, is something that I believe in a similar way could have been done with this comic book.  You see, DC comics and the creative staff on the Superman comics, were all set and ready to do the wedding issue, however Warner Bros. along with ABC wanted to do the wedding of Lois and Clark before DC comics did it in the Superman comics.  So what happened, is they let the creative staff on the comics know about this and ask them to hold off on their version of the wedding until after their version had aired on ABC.  Now this, obviously left a void in that timeframe, and they needed something to fill that timeframe, and thus the Doomsday arc/The Death Of Superman was created as well as the aftermath, along with his return.

And again, what does this have to do with these past two years?  Very simply put, the higher-ups or someone up there could have done the same thing for Ian, they could have told them to hold off on his mega story arc until these behind-the-scenes shenanigans are/were taken care of.  Thus, as I mentioned before, would have given Ian a little more time to work on his script of this mega arc that has recently completed.  And giving him other story options to work with.  And in the long run, avoided this whole mess that fans say Ian and those associated with him got themselves into.

Now, this is just my opinion as a longtime twenty-year fan.  But I honestly feel, that if someone in the high offices could have had the balls if you will to come down and let Ian and his fellow creative staff know what was going on behind the scenes, and told/asked them to hold off on this mega arc until everything was settled, then none of the BS that fans have said that Archie comics and Ian himself put them through, throughout these past two years, in my honest opinion, would have never happened.

And that's all I'm going to say about that.

TGIF, September 6, 2013, ending time : 10:58 AM

They couldn't tell Ian that the two years weren't the best time to do it because they themselves didn't know until shit hit the fan on them in a matter of weeks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

That probably is right. Unlike i that issue, there wasn't a long legal battle going on in the background that has been going on for a super long time. The example given seems more like a simple disagreement that was easily solved with people talking it over. The issue with the sonic comics wasn't as easily resolved, and thus why it took so long to go through. Yes, if people have compromised sooner, things may have been different and such, but because of how long this took to take place and all the arguing to the point Sega had to gt involved themselves, it was just a lot more complicated issue in my opinion.

How did you guys know that it takes place in Westside Island? The reason I'm asking is when I read the issue it was never mentioned that they were in Westside Island.

How did you guys know that it takes place in Westside Island? The reason I'm asking is when I read the issue it was never mentioned that they were in Westside Island.

4WKsikL.jpg

Look at top left: "Mobotropolis, Westside Island"

Edited by Sky The Destroyer

4WKsikL.jpg

Look at top left: "Mobotropolis, Westside Island"

WOW! I can't believe I didn't see that, I feel like such an idiot right now.

To be fair, I mostly skip over the yellow boxes because 9 times out of 10 they're just plugging another comic. 

That art is so stiff and bland...
Agreed I kinda wished that Evan would do draw and ink like how she did in back up stories in 231 and 233

No, I get what they mean. Biggest case in point is the top right panel; the citizens are supposed to be fleeing for their lives, but their poses are so stiff that they look like they jogging or briskly walking instead. 

Does that really matter though? We know what they are doing and you can see it from the picture that they are fleeing. They aren't going to look like they are running as fast as Sonic does. His run lines and poses are so much more expressed, that maybe seeing normal mobians run or move around just seems different? That and also, some people may be used to certain people drawing certain styles and if there are ever any change ups, people tend to notice them alot more now due to how the art styles changed so many 100 issues ago. People get used to certain styles, that when it changes a bit, we feel like something is missing?

WOW! I can't believe I didn't see that, I feel like such an idiot right now.

I dunno how they managed to screw it up.

HungoverSonic_zps7a8c7902.png

• Thumbs Up 7

Yes, Mr. Penders named him Maximilian. He also wrote the handful of stories and throw-away lines that served as the basis for the royal lineage [ian Flynn] wrote for the encyclopedia.

Oh dear. 

Wait, how do you get copyright on simply giving an extra name to a character that's not yours?!

Edited by VEDJ-F

Oh dear.    Wait, how do you get copyright on simply giving an extra name to a character that's not yours?!
I dont get it either its as weird as xialion showdown. The new series is made by another company and they had to change the name if the Wu because Warner Bros. owns the rights to the name like how the monkey staff is now called monkey spear m. I don't know how that logic works

Oh dear.

Wait, how do you get copyright on simply giving an extra name to a character that's not yours?!

Ill bet he argues that "his" King Max is different to King Acorn from SatAM because he has a different personality and is more in depth than the minor appearances King Acorn had in SatAM thus a "different character". Kinda like what he did with his Evil Sonic argument.

Doubt he would bother going after Archie over using King Acorn tho, because his "Max" would be the same character as SatAM's King Acorn considering where they rescued him from etc, and wasn't that his angle on trting to get Scourge cause he was technically "his" Evil Sonic? So by his own arguments his Max is a derivative of SatAM's King Acorn, as they are linked by story to SatAM so he shouldn't be able to touch him.

Where as Archie's new King Acorn could be considered "new" as he's a different "universe" version of him, and has had quite the attitude and personality change as well as asthetics etc, so using his own arguments against him, would be a "new" character and not linked to King Max.

Edited by Tenko

But if King Max was the same as SatAM's King Acorn, he couldn't lay copyright on it.
He could claim copyright on the name just not the character. Man this dude is making odd choices in terms of copyright(the multiverse really?)

But if King Max was the same as SatAM's King Acorn, he couldn't lay copyright on it.

Yup, I would assume so. I mean they rescued him from the Zone of Silence(?) place in the comic, and he was crystal etc, which is pretty much where SatAM left him. So there's a provable connection there to make him the same character. That and hes Sally's father in both incarnations and looked the same as his SatAM version in the comics till recently too. I doubt he could make a go of it with that against him.

Otherwise he could have a go at Sonic for giving him that *ugh* name too lol, and I doubt that would fly either.

Edited by Tenko