Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

su56-5.jpg

Third panel: *CRRIICCK*

Seriously, it looks like her neck should've snapped at that angle or something.

Oh wait, the use of pirates is a SEGA mandate for this story isn't it :U

Give me 10 minutes to find an image conveying the idea of "pulling something out of one's ass". :U

Yardley!'s a complete nutter for ships, nautical battles, and the discoveries. Rush Adventure showed us a world with robot pirates. He latched on to that to have nautical fun.

Edited by Albator
  • Thumbs Up 1

I never understood it either. She is honestly rather funny to me. The fact that she is bugging Amy right now is what I think is even funnier. Amy has annoyed Sonic in the past with her pestering, now she is around someone that is pestering her. It is almost like she is getting a taste for how it feels to be around someone that just never seems to give up or shut up. That's what I find rather funny about alot of this. I know people don't like her, but hearing responses about her just makes me wonder sometimes. Like how a friend told me at one of those convensions, someone mentioned her on stage and the entire crowd yelled at the same time about how much they would never want to see her again and he felt so awkward at the moment. It just seems unfair at times.

• Thumbs Up 3

I personally love Marine. She's funny and kind of adorable. Her annoying Amy of all people just makes it more hilarious. I don't get the hate for her.

Me neither really; it'd be one thing if she was annoying and nothing else, but her debut makes it a point of showing that everyone else is annoyed by her too and that even she's aware of it.

Seriously, why does Ian hate her so much?

• Thumbs Up 1

A character annoying other characters and it being acknowledged (even by the annoying character) doesn't magically make them unannoying to the readers/players/whatever. If anything it just makes it worse, depending on how you look at it.

I actually like her myself, but I can easily see how she'd bother people.

• Thumbs Up 1

Annoyance, whether unintentional or self-aware, is not really seen as a good thing to have in a character. That's why many older fans resent annoying kid characters, in any sort of medium.

Marine does rely a lot on her annoyance trait in Sonic Rush Adventure, albeit to make a point at the end about working on making herself a better person (which is kind of why I feel that Pirate Plunder Panic is kind of a step back if SRA has happened already in the comic continuity). It's not just her that gets flak for it, but she's probably one of the most prominent for it.

Personally, I like her. Annoyance, like it or not, is as much a viable personality trait in a character as kindness or seriousness.

Maybe because its just for comedy?? I don't think Ian has some secret agenda against Marine or anything.

No agenda, but he is known to dislike her.

Edited by VEDJ-F
  • Thumbs Up 1

I know annoyance is generally an unflattering trait, but I kinda take resentment when that's an excuse put said character in unflattering situations. But I digress.

I don't really hate marine I just find her unnecessary especially since she was introduced around the time the series got a lot of flak for introducing new characters. Her dialogue seems kinda force and she can be a bit rude and annoying I understand why she's meant to be a character to make you laugh but it feels like "ha ha your hilarious ha ha oh your so funny ok you can stop please really your over doing stop please stop talking" and the fact that what she did at the end of sonic rush felt like an ass pull(or duex ex machina) to try and make her look good but I don't know bean is one of my favorite characters and he's basically marine maxed to 11(how can he explode bombs seriously). However if I can give credit to marine it's that she actually acts her age unlike most of the cast.

I know annoyance is generally an unflattering trait, but I kinda take resentment when that's an excuse put said character in unflattering situations. But I digress.

I agree as well. Using someone that has an annoyance trait as your main reason for disliking the character or trying to put them into bad situations becaue of it is a bit much. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that has thought that the hate on her for just being a bit annoying is a bit much.

I dislike Bean as well. He's just humor for the sake of humor. His randomness and obsession with bombs is unappealing to me.

I dislike Bean as well. He's just humor for the sake of humor. His randomness and obsession with bombs is unappealing to me.

Bean is supposed to be crazy. Loony. Insane. He's basically how one of my best friends act. I can't help but find him funny.

Just because he's supposed to be that way doesn't mean I have to like it. Just like what we said about Marine.

By the way, what do you mean exactly by "Humor without a Focus"?

Basically someone going LOL BOMB BUTTS for no reason other than to be funny.

It doesn't rub well with most people, myself included.

Well, what Harley said, random. It is one thing to make jokes, it's another thing to make jokes that are contextualised. Humour derived from putting a personality in a specific situation and their reaction to it? I get that. Humour from giving a character some sort of shiny object that has no meaning to the situation, for example? Not so much.

Edited by VEDJ-F

Oh, I get it. From what you guys are saying, you guys would be annoyed by one of my best friends (who's completely crazy) and possibly enjoy my other best friend as a character (he has a serious temper problem and is constantly annoyed by the other guy i mentioned).

Yeah, randomness does nothing more than confuse me. I often don't get what is supposed to be so funny. Bean isn't horrible to me by any means, but I can understand the randomness being annoying but I understand fully. As long as he isn't hated on just like how others want to hate on Marine for the way she is portrayed, then really it makes no difference who you like and don't.

I like Bean & Marine, but for different reasons; Bean is just batshit insane, and while I understand why non sequitur humor doesn't sit well with most, I find it funny enough on its own. That said, Bean really doesn't have much else going for him in terms of character. He just says a bunch of random lines and does crazy shit and that's it. 

With Marine, I love how despite all of her big talk, she's very much aware of her flaws and tries to work better at them even if she doesn't always do a good job.

• Thumbs Up 2