Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Can't believe how many people liked your post, was Eggman having the SATAM backstory that unnerving to people? 

Hes still the same Eggman we have known seeing as hes really the only one who hasn't been effected at all by the Genesis Waves, just his backstory is now meshed with the other Eggman's universe.

As someone who didn't grow up with that storyline, it was stupidly confusing that they ever had the whole swap thing. I welcome the change because it was way too over the top and Michael Bay, if I found it hard to understand as an adult, then hell I dunno how kids even took it when it happened if they happened to drop into the series at that time.

As someone who didn't grow up with that storyline, it was stupidly confusing that they ever had the whole swap thing. I welcome the change because it was way too over the top and Michael Bay, if I found it hard to understand as an adult, then hell I dunno how kids even took it when it happened if they happened to drop into the series at that time.

I didn't really grow up with that story either, and I didn't mind it. To me, Eggman was Eggman...was Eggman. Yes it was over the top, but Sonic does over the top stuff all the time. Yes, there should be a limit to how much of this can be pulled off, but it can work.

The story played with the idea of multiple universes, so it made sense. Multiple timelines and different worlds are indeed confusing, but they're also fun. Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for the whole "alternate universes" schtik, but hey. Preferences, I guess.

I can't believe you're chewing people out for preferring one story over another. It's not that they find it unnerving, it's just that most people like the new backstory.

We don't even really know what the new backstory is to really give a full opinion on it. we know 1 event in time has changed what what else? I think its just more of the fact that people like SATAM/Comic Robotnik being switched out with Classic Dr. Eggman, which to me just feels like pandering to the non-readers and newcomers.

Its really not all that confusing, I started at #186 and seemed to pick up everything fine with help of the internet. I can understand being completely lost if you have zero connection to the net or don't have the encyclopedia at hand but even then the comic makes itself really easy to understand.

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 1

I prefer having Eggman be Classic Eggman in the past and not Julian Pokéballnik from another universe where he was roboticised and then transferred into a new robot body then turned flesh and blood. It's a lot less complicated, for sure. And also Classic Eggman looks harmless, thus making it all the more believable that he caused shit to go south.

On a similar topic, why did the cover of the first miniseries issue have Game!Robotnik on it when the actual comic and all subsequent issues have Julian Pokéballnik?

In fact why did Julian Pokéballnik even happen? Did someone try to make AoStH Robotnik look siriusbizniz or something?

Edited by Spin Attaxx

The story played with the idea of multiple universes, so it made sense. Multiple timelines and different worlds are indeed confusing, but they're also fun. Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for the whole "alternate universes" schtik, but hey. Preferences, I guess.

I'm also a sucker for the "alternate universes" trope, and it's something I hope Archie doesn't remove, but I have always found the Eggman / Robo-Robotnik thing just plain forced and stupid. Not to mention I never liked Red-eyed Obviously-evil Generic-90s-villain Robotnik to begin with. And I started  reading  the comics since the "Return to Angel Island" arc...9 YEARS AGO?! Time sure flies fast!

What I'm trying to say is that, at the end of day, it's just a matter of opinion. There are lots of things I like in the Archieverse, like Bunnie, Antoine and Uncle Chuck. Others, like that Robo-Robotnik thing or hit-and-miss humour crazy Bean...not so much.

Edited by Duck Avenger Nald

Modern Eggman still has the red eyes in the comic.

And honestly, his backstory changing doesn't really change much, so I don't see the big deal of it being either way.

Modern Eggman still has the red eyes in the comic.

Post-Genesis Wave, we still don't know.

Then again, there are lots of things that we don't know right now. Who knows, maybe we all got that wrong and Classic Eggman still died in that Ultimate Annihilator thing and was replaced by Modern Eggman.

I'm also a sucker for the "alternate universes" trope, and it's something I hope Archie doesn't remove, but I have always found the Eggman / Robo-Robotnik thing just plain forced and stupid. Not to mention I never liked Red-eyed Obviously-evil Generic-90s-villain Robotnik to begin with. And I started  reading  the comics since the "Return to Angel Island" arc...9 YEARS AGO?! Time sure flies fast!

What I'm trying to say is that, at the end of day, it's just a matter of opinion. 

You're right. I personally have no issues with the generic evil Robotnik though. Seeing a villain play a trope straight to its core may be repetitive and boring, but not every villain needs a twist all the time. I find it refreshing every once in a while.

...You're lucky. You started on an arc that had Knuckles. I enjoy arc's with Knuckles in them. Guess what my introduction to the comics (and my real introduction to the character in general, outside of Sonic X) was...

Sonic152.png

Now granted, the next issue that I saw when I found a comic shop that had it was issue #162, but still man... I was so lost and I had no idea who half of the characters were... but I loved it.... and I only realized how shit this issue was a year ago.

Post-Genesis Wave, we still don't know.

Then again, there are lots of things that we don't know right now. Who knows, maybe we all got that wrong and Classic Eggman still died in that Ultimate Annihilator thing and was replaced by Modern Eggman.

I really hope this to be the case. That whole "Endgame" saga was neat -o.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of Eggman's eyes, was it ever said if they were cybernetic or some sort of hereditary thing? I remember the Sonic comic wiki saying something about one of his ancestor's having similar eyes(red iris, black sclera).

Hmmm from what we have seen so far, I do ahve some theories on a few things, but think I will wait for those to play out.

On another front, i am curious to see when they will bring back in Knuckles, and the Chaotix(including Mighty and Ray), and personaly I kinda prefer them working together as a team as oppossed to Charmy Espio, and Vector being a bumbling investigative agency. I do rather prefer their protrayal in the comics..... kinda curious to see what happens now with Bunny's uncle and Matilda(Mighty's sister), and hope that arc hasnt been entirely removed, was a nice thing to have

There's a part of me that wants endgame to be retconned

They may have to. Don't stories that Ken wrote also fall under the "Archie-no-touchie" clause?

Edited by TheFatPanda

They may have to. Don't stories that Ken wrote also fall under the "Archie-no-touchie" clause?

I dont really think that Ken cared about the stories more about the characters

Oh, hey, here's a thought.

Is there even a "Kintobor" family anymore? If the comics are more like the games universe now, then Eggman's real name should have always been "Ivo Robotnik," not "Julian Kintobor." 

Kinda makes me wonder if Snively will still be Eggman's nephew or just some unrelated henchman here.

If Snively even makes future appearances, which was rather unlikely even before the Chaos Cosmic Reset.

Pffft, you think that's bad?! MY starting point was Sonic X #23!

Oh c'mon. It wasn't that bad! It made fun of a lot of the characters in the original show! That's funny right?

Is there even a "Kintobor" family anymore? If the comics are more like the games universe now, then Eggman's real name should have always been "Ivo Robotnik," not "Julian Kintobor." 

Kinda makes me wonder if Snively will still be Eggman's nephew or just some unrelated henchman here.

He probably wouldn't appear at all. If he still is around, then they wouldn't be related. Which kind of kills the dynamic between the two... so yeah. Probably wouldn't show up. And considering his last appearance, I'd call that a shit ending for the poor guy.

Actualy, as of right now, most of the SATAM cast are safe, I am pretty sure Snively will show up, also from the bit we got from the next issue, it sounds like Eggman might be the crazy old genius of this new Eggman army, but someone else is the true power behind it, and that could be snively

He probably wouldn't appear at all. If he still is around, then they wouldn't be related. Which kind of kills the dynamic between the two... so yeah. Probably wouldn't show up. And considering his last appearance, I'd call that a shit ending for the poor guy.

That'd be too bad. Admittedly, I like Orbot and Cubot far better as Eggman's lackeys, but I'd like to see Snively appear again in some capacity; Especially since they're still keeping the other SatAM characters around.

Ah well, I guess that'll remain to be seen! 

Speaking of Eggman's eyes, was it ever said if they were cybernetic or some sort of hereditary thing? I remember the Sonic comic wiki saying something about one of his ancestor's having similar eyes(red iris, black sclera).

Meet Brutus Kintobor of the House of Ivo, Ancestor of Julian Kintobor of the House of Ivo, otherwise known as Ivo Robotnik.

Oi2Ck1A.png

Thank you, Mobius Enyclopaedia

So, yes it's safe to say that Eggman's eyes pre-Genesis Wave were an hereditary thing.

Edited by Duck Avenger Nald
  • Thumbs Up 2

So, yes it's safe to say that Eggman's eyes pre-Genesis Wave were an hereditary thing.

Ahh, that's really interesting. Considering game-Eggman has normally-colored eyes (Sonic Advance, Sonic 2K6), it's likely post-Genesis Wave Eggman's appearance has been modified to reflect that. Or they would be, if his glasses would ever be removed, which is highly unlikely now.

Eggman's family history is probably slightly different now too, granted. All those original Kintobors created for the comic probably don't exist anymore, likely leaving only Gerald and Maria as known members of the Robotnik family.

Edited by Dr. Mechano

Ahh, that's really interesting. Considering game-Eggman has normally-colored eyes (Sonic Advance, Sonic 2K6), it's likely post-Genesis Wave Eggman's appearance has been modified to reflect that. Or they would be, if his glasses would ever be removed, which is highly unlikely now.

Eggman's family history is probably slightly different now too, granted. All those original Kintobors created for the comic probably don't exist anymore, likely leaving only Gerald and Maria as known members of the Robotnik family.

and Snively, thats from SATAM if I remember, I think Hope is safe as well

and Snively, thats from SATAM if I remember, I think Hope is safe as well

From what I understand, Uncle Chuck is still in the comic, but is now just a wise old mentor figure rather than Sonic's biological uncle.

If Snively and Hope are still here, they may no longer be related to Eggman.

...Actually, come to think of it, if Eggman was always a Robotnik (i.e., was never in the "Kintobor" family), then Snively and Hope could still easily keep the Kintobor surname without having any familial relation to Eggman in the current timeline. That'd be a pretty easy way to go about keeping those characters somewhat close to their old counterparts.

Edited by Dr. Mechano

Makes me wonder of Hope's fate as well. She may have been X'd out all together too.