Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Okay, Halloween Comicfest issue spoilers!

-Sonic and Tails are chasing Eggman in the air, where Sonic tells Eggman to drop the animals.

-Cut to many days earlier. Eggman, Orbot and Cubot get to Lost Hex, Eggman clearly having plans for the place.
-The trio land, and not long after talking to each other about what they're doing, Zavok confronts thems.
-Zavok threatens them, but Eggman sets his buzzbombers on him.
-Zavok dodges the blast, recovers and uses his powers to hijack said buzzbombers, bringing them to his side.
-Zavok remarks that it's been a long time since he got to "play with someone else's machines", and even compliments Eggman on their design.
-While Orbot and Cubot worry, this phases Eggman none as he brings out the conch shell of doom. It seems to work just by disrupting the psychic connection between the Zeti and the machines. Zavok is brought to his knees by persistent blows.
-Zavok eventually relents and calls him master. He reveals his name to Eggman after being asked, and Eggman tells him to get the other Zeti.
-Later, all of the Deadly Six approach a group of frolicking animals (they're not on Lost Hex now), shove them into a capsule and let Eggman take it. Zavok comments how the work is beneath them.
-Later still (a few hours before page 1), Sonic is running through Green Hill Zone when he notices that there are no animals around.
-The Miles Electric he has on him (I think all of Tails' associates have one now) goes off, and Tails tells Sonic about the lack of animals around him as well.
-Apparently everyone has noticed it, but Amy managed to find a lead, so Sonic heads off to Tails.
-Tails is with Amy and Knuckles, Amy trying to comfort a Picky. Tails tries to talk to Sonic to tell him his location.
-Sonic arrives with the group at record pace. Tails is shocked, Amy has a semi-Marilyn Monroe moment and is amused, and Knuckles has the Picky jump up and latch to his face in fear.
-Amy tells Sonic that she had been searching all day and just found the one animal. It told her that the others were caught in large "metal eggs" and then taken up to the sky.
-"If that's not Eggman, I'll eat the Master Emerald!". Sonic doesn't doubt it. 

-Sonic assures the Picky that his friends will be found.

-He tells Amy to round up any other animals she sees and keep an eye on them. 

-He asks Knuckles to stay to provide some protection. Knux agrees, and they fist-bump while the exchange happens. 

-Sonic tells Tails to come with him. They're both thinking that if the animals were taken into the sky, the best place to look for Eggman is in the air. 

-As they look for Eggman, Sonic points out several clouds. He acts like a hyper child here, and Tails has an appropriate facial expression for it. 

-Tails has built an Eggman-specific radar in his Tornado, which picks up on Eggman.

-"You've got an Eggman-specific radar?" "After all we've been through?" "Touché". 

-They spot him, and the next five pages play out like the opening cutscene but with a bit more dialogue.

-Sonic insists that they should catch up when it lands, since they have to land the Tornado now as it has a hole in a wing. 

-They spot Lost Hex ahead. They plan to land on it, but Tails warns that the landing will be bumpy.

-The next pages say to buy the game to continue the adventure.

And that's that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, at least Knuckles is doing something...kinda..sorta....meh

Well, at least take solace at that Knuckles' role (in this prequel, anyway) isn't that of a complete joke.

Well, at least take solace at that Knuckles' role (in this prequel, anyway) isn't that of a complete joke.

Just mostly one.

Dunno about anyone else here, but that line about the Master Emerald made me laugh. And the thing about it is, it was funny without making him an "idiot," at least to me.

Edited by DarkLight

Just what I'd expect from someone with the voice of the Mighty Kamina.

*Looks it up* ..............Holy fuck you're right.

Now instead of just making Duke Nukem quotes in Big's voice, I can now also make Kamina quotes!

"Just who the hell do you think I am!? When people talk about Team Rose's badass leader, they're talking about ME! Big The Cat!"

I know it's not an exact quote I apologize. 

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just got Sonic Saga volume 4 House of Cards. It has 177 to 180. It also has 129s Tossed in Space story.

(slight spoilers for #253)

Just read #253. I think it's a pretty solid issue, and I see Lamar Wells has finally gotten to do some interiors after doing a bunch of one-off illustrations for ads and magazine covers. I was quite enjoying the look of his stuff on his deviant art page, and it's nice seeing him make that transition to telling stories visually rather than just doing pin-ups. I did notice that Yardley is credited with "layouts," so I guess he's pretty much the guy to show newcomers the ropes for the comics (Renae de Liz also worked with Yardley's layouts for her first issue). All in all, it's a pretty good start for him, and Austin's inks seem to be fine, though his quality is kinda shakey depending on the artist (they really should re-hire Pam Eklund anytime they give Butler a Sonic story to draw--I don't think Austin does a very good job with his pencils).

There's still a lot of mystery as to just what the heck is going on with the Sonic universe at the moment due to a variety of things both in-universe and in real life. The first part of "Countdown to Chaos" is showing the repercussions of Eggman's "mistake" at the end of "Worlds Collide" as well as the end of the long, stupid legal saga with Ken Penders. The "Dark Egg Legion" we've been seeing for the last five years or so are done away with and replaced with the "Egg Army." It seems their attitude towards Eggman isn't much different from the previous incarnations, pretty much treating him with begrudging respect and a healthy dose of fear (they really don't want to be roboticized).

What's interesting is the new water buffalo character, Axel. Incidentally, he replaces a one-off  bear character named Diesel, who made a brief appearance in SU#37 as the leader of the Efrikan branch of the DEL. Axel is sporting the same chains Diesel had in his brief appearance. There's not really any particular rhyme or reason other than they just decided to change him because a water buffalo made more sense than a bear. It doesn't really bother me, and frankly, I would've forgotten all about Diesel if I didn't need to double-check some continuity stuff. Will Diesel show up again? Does anyone care? Axel seems like he might be an important player later down the road, so I'm curious to see what's going to happen with him.

I'm also wondering about Eggman's memories. Sonic's memories of both worlds are mixing quite quickly and Tails is having difficulty juggling both memories, and now that Rotor's back, he'll likely have a similar struggle, as will the others when they come into contact with NICOLE. On the other hand, Eggman is still as aware of what's going on as Sonic was in #252, but doesn't seem to show any signs of his memory lapsing between the two worlds. He manages to fool Axel into filling him in without being suspicious, and I liked how that was handled. Since it seems that the world's history overall has changed greatly from the previous (e.g. Sonic saying he feels he's remembering things differently from before in #252), it'll be interesting if Eggman will start to feel the effects later.

There's also some rather mild (right now) changes going on, and that's more a result of the Penders problem. It seems like Mercia will now be "Avalon," from the King Arthur story (and, by extension, Sonic and the Black Knight). Lord Hood is still in power, based on what Axel told Eggman, but I'm wondering who/what will be affected because of the legal battle. Will the Mercian (er, "Avalonian?") Freedom Fighters completely replace Rob O' the Hedge as if he never existed (since he was previously "in hiding" due, again, to the legal battle)?

And finally, it appears, as the awesome Ben Bates quadriptych cover has shown, the world is starting to break apart and Eggman thinks he might have jumped the gun with keeping Sonic from fixing the world. I've heard some people saying Dark Gaia might be making its appearance (the purple coloring of the odd energy seeping out of the earth). While I certainly hope that's the case (the new Mobius has a much stronger tie to the games-universe), I'm guessing it's also a little similar to what happened at the end of Genesis. The world was starting to crumble due to Eggman messing about with space-time and rewriting the world as he saw fit, and it took Super Sonic tapping into as much Chaos energy as he could to fix the whole thing. Perhaps the crumbling, and the world trying to restore itself the first time was a case of Eggman inadvertently awakening Dark Gaia, only for it to return to sleep when Super Sonic fixed everything. But now, since Eggman messed things up, Dark Gaia might be reawakening, especially since the world STILL isn't right (though it's only the Prime universe suffering, it seems). But that's just me piggybacking off of what others have been guessing.

In either case, I can't wait to find out what's going to happen.

#253 was a great read, and I hope I'm not building myself up in anticipation as I was with "Endangered Species," though it's hard to completely blame Flynn for trying to make lemonade with the really rotten lemons he was given at the time.

EDIT: Put most of my review into spoiler tags so y'all don't have to read my somewhat long post if you don't want to.

Edited by Zaysho

Okay, Halloween Comicfest issue spoilers!

-Sonic and Tails are chasing Eggman in the air, where Sonic tells Eggman to drop the animals.

-Cut to many days earlier. Eggman, Orbot and Cubot get to Lost Hex, Eggman clearly having plans for the place.

-The trio land, and not long after talking to each other about what they're doing, Zavok confronts thems.

-Zavok threatens them, but Eggman sets his buzzbombers on him.

-Zavok dodges the blast, recovers and uses his powers to hijack said buzzbombers, bringing them to his side.

-Zavok remarks that it's been a long time since he got to "play with someone else's machines", and even compliments Eggman on their design.

-While Orbot and Cubot worry, this phases Eggman none as he brings out the conch shell of doom. It seems to work just by disrupting the psychic connection between the Zeti and the machines. Zavok is brought to his knees by persistent blows.

-Zavok eventually relents and calls him master. He reveals his name to Eggman after being asked, and Eggman tells him to get the other Zeti.

-Later, all of the Deadly Six approach a group of frolicking animals (they're not on Lost Hex now), shove them into a capsule and let Eggman take it. Zavok comments how the work is beneath them.

-Later still (a few hours before page 1), Sonic is running through Green Hill Zone when he notices that there are no animals around.

-The Miles Electric he has on him (I think all of Tails' associates have one now) goes off, and Tails tells Sonic about the lack of animals around him as well.

-Apparently everyone has noticed it, but Amy managed to find a lead, so Sonic heads off to Tails.

-Tails is with Amy and Knuckles, Amy trying to comfort a Picky. Tails tries to talk to Sonic to tell him his location.

-Sonic arrives with the group at record pace. Tails is shocked, Amy has a semi-Marilyn Monroe moment and is amused, and Knuckles has the Picky jump up and latch to his face in fear.

-Amy tells Sonic that she had been searching all day and just found the one animal. It told her that the others were caught in large "metal eggs" and then taken up to the sky.

-"If that's not Eggman, I'll eat the Master Emerald!". Sonic doesn't doubt it. 

-Sonic assures the Picky that his friends will be found.

-He tells Amy to round up any other animals she sees and keep an eye on them. 

-He asks Knuckles to stay to provide some protection. Knux agrees, and they fist-bump while the exchange happens. 

-Sonic tells Tails to come with him. They're both thinking that if the animals were taken into the sky, the best place to look for Eggman is in the air. 

-As they look for Eggman, Sonic points out several clouds. He acts like a hyper child here, and Tails has an appropriate facial expression for it. 

-Tails has built an Eggman-specific radar in his Tornado, which picks up on Eggman.

-"You've got an Eggman-specific radar?" "After all we've been through?" "Touché". 

-They spot him, and the next five pages play out like the opening cutscene but with a bit more dialogue.

-Sonic insists that they should catch up when it lands, since they have to land the Tornado now as it has a hole in a wing. 

-They spot Lost Hex ahead. They plan to land on it, but Tails warns that the landing will be bumpy.

-The next pages say to buy the game to continue the adventure.

And that's that. 

Well that.....was underwhelming, I guess its a step up from being a joke I guess.

So it looks like Knuckles is still being the butt of the joke with that Picky jumping up onto his face? As if he hadn't had enough...

While it bugs me that Knuckles is still Senor Butt Monkey, at least he tells a convincing joke. I actually laughed at that.

But it's nice to see more of the mind controlled badniks. I really want to see how that looks.

Ugh...come on, #253...don't force me to click those spoilers....

It should be out yesterday. Just go to the comic book store and by it.

it was good, cant wait to find out what happens next(and about bunny and Ant)

Got the issue. Pretty good  nothing to complain looking forward to seeing how this arc turns out

Zaysho it would be odd if Rob'O the Hedge disappeared or was replaced. Out of all the stuff "he who shall not be named" did this guy is a mix of a public domain character aka Robin Hood and a Sega character, Sonic the Hedgehog. Then again this is the same guy that somehow got the rights to Evil Sonic...seriously...still can't get over that. How do you manage to get away with doing an evil version of a trademarked and copyrighted character, only difference is some shades and a jacket and being bad, and having ownership handed to you by the court...what is this China?

*Ahem* Anyway...got my copy couple says ago and it was an interesting read. I so like the changes so far and they make for a good way to keep you wondering what's next. Its almost like jumping into a new series, when you got your first issue. Colour me interested for the next issue.

Zaysho it would be odd if Rob'O the Hedge disappeared or was replaced. Out of all the stuff "he who shall not be named" did this guy is a mix of a public domain character aka Robin Hood and a Sega character, Sonic the Hedgehog. Then again this is the same guy that somehow got the rights to Evil Sonic...seriously...still can't get over that. How do you manage to get away with doing an evil version of a trademarked and copyrighted character, only difference is some shades and a jacket and being bad, and having ownership handed to you by the court...what is this China?

I agree with you completely, and I don't at all support all that nonsense, but after everything that's happened I wouldn't be surprised. Penders has claimed on his board that Rob O' the Hedge is his "original" creation, and, technically he did write that particular arc that introduced him. The "Chaotix Quest" arc (and Rob was seen in early solicits before being replaced by Bow and written out of the story) suggest that Archie had to axe the character (albeit in a less sloppy way than the entire Echidna population in "Endangered Species"). Even a little further, Penders says that another writer helped write a lot of that arc (Clayton Emery), but turned his rights over to him when Penders started his whole crusade (apparently some other writers that collaborated with him in the past also deferred their rights to him... does anyone else see some irony in here?).

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I only suggested what most likely happened after seeing that "Mercia" was (apparently) renamed "Avalon" post-crossover. Never mind that this whole situation probably wouldn't have happened had all this legal nonsense not happened in the first place. I'm still intrigued and looking forward to what's coming next, regardless of the reason things had to go down the way they did.

------

So I had a thought earlier from the post I wrote and I figured I'd ask those that are caught up to chime in. I'll put it in spoiler tags for those who haven't gotten to read the latest issue yet:

Concering Eggman's memories and why they may not be blending yet, and why Sonic is feeling the effects so quickly. Could it be because this Eggman is not the original Robotnik of the Prime universe? The Prime universe was the only one to suffer from the effects of the Genesis Wave (twice, in fact), and Eggman interrupting Sonic's Chaos Control messed things up pretty badly for the Prime universe (as seen in #253's ending). I was thinking about this as I realized neither Blaze nor her world are suffering any ill effects or memory loss from the second Genesis Wave (her opening monologue in SU#55 suggests she clearly remembers) while Amy and Cream, and perhaps even Bean and Bark to a lesser extent, can't remember a thing likely due to be tied to their universe of origin.

Thoughts?

Edited by Zaysho

Just my thoughts in here.

I did enjoy this issue. It didn't tell a whole lot, but at the same time told just enough really. It shows some characters are still around to be expected without telling too much at the same time. Really can't judge much on things again from this issue. It doesn't really change much or add a ton of stuff that likely wasn't already expected in my opinion. Knowing what all characters are still around and such. Knowing that Chuck and Knothole are around again though is rather interesting. Both Knothole and Mobotropolis are back now. Interesting. Overall, a good issue, but it doesn't still tell us much about what is to come just yet, since it is just the beginning of the arc.

It should be out yesterday. Just go to the comic book store and by it.

I live in the UK, so I order it via DHC. It just came this lunch time, actually; I'm so psyched to read it.

Ken just released a new script to the Lara su chronicles and apparently he can call the planet möbius since it hasn't been used in the comics for a while....I'm starting to really annoyed with this

Ken just released a new script to the Lara su chronicles and apparently he can call the planet möbius since it hasn't been used in the comics for a while....I'm starting to really annoyed with this

Just don't pay attention to it. Don't speak of it since publicity will only further his lust for the series.

Ya know, I'm expecting him to pull a Fred Wolf any day now and make the wild claim that he made Sonic. Considering his belief that "Evil Sonic" and "Robo-Robotnik" are totally original characters that wouldn't be a stretch for him. It really never occured to me that the name "Mobius" hadn't been used recently until I checked some issues released this year, but it's still odd that he can make claim to a concept that wasn't even his creation... wasn't that a concept created by SEGA of America and DiC?

I'm guessing SEGA has finally decided to phase that bit out altogether?

Oh, forget it. I'ma just do what Mogtaki suggests and ignore it, no matter how much of a bad taste in my mouth all this stupidity between him and ACP has left.

Edited by Zaysho