Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Well, Mobius always referred to the "Mobius Strip" like twisting pathways that appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Whether or not that was influence for the world in the comics being named Mobius is up for debate. Regardless of circumstances, though, Mobius is a real-world term (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobius_Strip; yes, THIS is what the course "Mobius Strip" in Sonic Riders Zero Gravity was named after), and I don't think you can really prevent him from just so happening to call his "different" world the same name.

Well, that was a fun issue...

Good to see Big actually do something worthwhile, rather than just stand around being a total fucktard.

Also, I'm starting to warm to Rote's redesign...

Well, Mobius always referred to the "Mobius Strip" like twisting pathways that appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Whether or not that was influence for the world in the comics being named Mobius is up for debate. Regardless of circumstances, though, Mobius is a real-world term (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobius_Strip; yes, THIS is what the course "Mobius Strip" in Sonic Riders Zero Gravity was named after), and I don't think you can really prevent him from just so happening to call his "different" world the same name.

I know it's a real term, and I know it can't be trademarked (similar to how Toho localized the character as "Destoroyah" since they couldn't trademark "Destroyer"). But it's a term that is also associated with the Sonic brand (in a relatively small way). He seems to carry on like his characters and concepts can do fine independent of the Sonic brand (and, hey, they probably could if he tried), but stuff like this makes me shake my head because he still appears to be finding ways to ride the coattails of Sonic's success without pissing off SEGA.

I could chalk it all up to coincidence, but given the circumstances, it's hard for me to look at it like that.

I hope I'm not coming off too vitriolic about what Penders is doing these days. Yes, I'm very skeptical  and I've very little respect for him AS A PROFESSIONAL because of what's been happening lately, but I'm really trying not to treat him as "the deadly spectre ruining Sonic comics."

Well, that was a fun issue...

Good to see Big actually do something worthwhile, rather than just stand around being a total fucktard.

Also, I'm starting to warm to Rote's redesign...

It doesn't look that bad mainly because it just looks like a slightly younger more fit version of his original old school design. That sort of seems to be the feeling I'm getting from a lot of the characters is that they all look younger, almost like time has gone backwards for lots of the characters ages, though I hope they don't try and throw everyone's ages back and instead just make everyone look more youthful.

Yeah, we can tell by looking at the cover of #253 that Chuck is still as old as he was.

Well I mean, he still look older, but he doesn't look as old as he used to to me. Like he has some newfound youthfulness to him instead of looking like he is someone that could never be in action anymore like he used to look for awhile.

Mobius was used as Sonic's world since 1990/1991.

Kinda true, as far as America and Europe are concerned, but has it really been used all that much in regards to Sonic's world lately?

People are more ingrained to "Mobius" because of the old cartoons AoSTH, SatAM, and Underground making heavy use of it compared to the games. In fact, only Sonic CD mentions Mobius in the manual, while the games people played the most back then had no mention of it.

And nowadays, not even the comic uses it (although they were still using "Mobian" prior to the reality change). 

I wonder what they're going to call the anthros this time? Think "mobian" will stick?

Mobius was used as Sonic's world since 1990/1991.

I'm not sure how that's possible. Sonic 1 wasn't even released until 1991 and the earliest ever mention was exclusively in the Sonic the Hedgehog Promotional Comic. The games never mentioned Mobius at all in Japan except for Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Sonic Spinball (both of which are known to be non-canon), and the cartoon series' didn't start until 1993. The Archie Sonic comics started in 1992, so even they were not from 1991.

EDIT: I think "Mobian" will stick. Its easier to understand that term, otherwise they'd have to come up with a new term to identify them anyway. I sometimes end up on falling on the term "Mobian" simply because I can't think of a better name. "Anthro" is what they are, but in-universe they wouldn't call themselves simply "anthros" would they? I certainly couldn't imagine that.

Edited by JaidynReiman

I'm not sure how that's possible. Sonic 1 wasn't even released until 1991 and the earliest ever mention was exclusively in the Sonic the Hedgehog Promotional Comic. The games never mentioned Mobius at all in Japan except for Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Sonic Spinball (both of which are known to be non-canon), and the cartoon series' didn't start until 1993. The Archie Sonic comics started in 1992, so even they were not from 1991.

EDIT: I think "Mobian" will stick. Its easier to understand that term, otherwise they'd have to come up with a new term to identify them anyway. I sometimes end up on falling on the term "Mobian" simply because I can't think of a better name. "Anthro" is what they are, but in-universe they wouldn't call themselves simply "anthros" would they? I certainly couldn't imagine that.

the Sonic 1 Promo comic and the Sonic Bible thing used the term "Mobius".

So am I mistaken or is there just a lame duck story going until the reboot?  

The "reboot" for whatever it has done has already passed. Unless you're talking about the crossover.

I've always called them Mobians and I would hope that would stay the same. They aren't Anthro's since anthro animals are normally the same height and have similiar traits to humans. Sonic anthro's are totally different in build. That's why I have always called them Mobians, since it is unique to them only. Same with how I always called sonic world money, Mobiums.

Promotional material from even before Sonic 1, as SEGA of America started working on their take on the Sonic story, mentions Mobius. It was always intended as the name of the Planet.

I've always called them Mobians and I would hope that would stay the same. They aren't Anthro's since anthro animals are normally the same height and have similiar traits to humans. Sonic anthro's are totally different in build. That's why I have always called them Mobians, since it is unique to them only. Same with how I always called sonic world money, Mobiums.

Sonic World Money is taykrongames_sonic-ring.gif

Sonic World Money is taykrongames_sonic-ring.gif

Yes, I know the rings are used as money in a lot of the more recent games and such. It just gets a but confusing when you are going to say they are both a power source and a form of currency at the same time.

Yes, I know the rings are used as money in a lot of the more recent games and such. It just gets a but confusing when you are going to say they are both a power source and a form of currency at the same time.

I think being an unlimited source of energy only makes them more worthy.

Anthros are by definition human-like; they don't have to have the same build or height as humans. Mickey Mouse is an anthro, Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck are anthros, Sonic is also an anthro. There is no way around it, regardless of what other name you give them.

You can make a cloud or a rock an anthro, the entire point is give it human qualities: speech, intelligence, morals, and so forth.

Essentially, they're all personifications.

Which what I say to justify calling them all persons and people. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Promotional material from even before Sonic 1, as SEGA of America started working on their take on the Sonic story, mentions Mobius. It was always intended as the name of the Planet.

It was always intended as  the name of the planet by SEGA of America. But in the original Sonic Bible it wasn't mentioned as the planets name. There was a "Sonic the Hedgehog Promotional Comic" (which I clearly explained in my previous post) and that was the first ever mention of Mobius. Later revisions of the Sonic Bible later re-invisioned this, and the Sonic Bible was completely and totally overruled by the Japanese continuity as of Sonic Adventure (with the sole exception of the name Robotnik sticking as Eggman's last name; notably "Ivo" is never once mentioned after this point except in Sonic Chronicles).