Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Diesel was based off a Penders character from the knuckles comic so he's understandable then the same can be said about frair buck so I don't know maybe he got relocated or something debatable. The family mandates thing only works for SEGA characters of the modern era. I say modern because the chaotix arc's focus was mighty looking for his sister. As for you point of Beau and Mitilda not appearing yet that's kinda of an early statement to make since we haven't seen mighty and ray either. Espio's mom is probably safe she just won't be called that but Edmund and future cast are gone

I said Beau and Matilda because they're both characters derived from passing mentions made earlier in the comic run. Hence why I said ultra-safe, axing them for that reason is a more extreme version of Diesel's case.

And without most of the Dragon Kingdom lore in place, Constant Vigil wouldn't really have a place to fit. And she couldn't be referenced as a relative so her use would be very limited, unlike Chuck stands on his own without being an explicit relative and without his original mythos.

Oh ok read the first part wrong my bad. As for constant vigil they can pull the uncle chuck card and say "constant vigil-"mother" to all" or something like that

I said Beau and Matilda because they're both characters derived from passing mentions made earlier in the comic run. Hence why I said ultra-safe, axing them for that reason is a more extreme version of Diesel's case.

And without most of the Dragon Kingdom lore in place, Constant Vigil wouldn't really have a place to fit. And she couldn't be referenced as a relative so her use would be very limited, unlike Chuck stands on his own without being an explicit relative and without his original mythos.

Constant Vigil hasn't been explicitly said to be Espio's mother outright in-universe, has she? The closest that comes to mind is Espio saying "My Mo--" 

I'm sure she might still be able to be referenced as Espio's mom without saying it outright, similar to Uncle Chuck's situation.

I haven't actually seen Uncle Chuck in the new universe yet, how exactly did they handle his situation? Do they just.. drop the "uncle" part completely and call him Chuck the Hedgehog instead?

No he's still called uncle chuck but his discription is "uncle chuck-"uncle" to everybody"

Given her reaction, and how literally every person who reads Archie was calling her his mum, and how the comic encyclopedia called her his mum, that's not applicable. The SU#16 thing was supposed to be a sort of joke about how secretive they are, not a serious workaround.

But further than that, being his mum was integral to her importance; if there wasn't that blood relation, he wouldn't spy on a friend for her or betray the heroes for her gambit. Chuck doesn't have to be related for his connection with Sonic to hold fast.

Losing some of the overly expanded family connections didn't bother me too much..especially with Knuckles. But the Uncle Chuck thing made me double take a bit. I mean sure SatAM is getting way on in years now, and new readers may not know it..but they still use the "different from the game world you know" type tagline in the opening page right?

The comic started life as a kind of link and then continuation to the cartoons. They still use the Freedom Fighters from said cartoon and they still have their own characters and a bit of creative freedom in that regard. So why is Chuck no longer Sonic's actual uncle? Family mandate I get, but since Chuck still has roots in SatAM shouldn't he, if anyone, be an exception?

• Thumbs Up 1

Besides, I'd hardly call the rest of SatAM cast immune. They've had a hell of a lot of changes all around.

But further than that, being his mum was integral to her importance; if there wasn't that blood relation, he wouldn't spy on a friend for her or betray the heroes for her gambit. Chuck doesn't have to be related for his connection with Sonic to hold fast.

Espio did all that because she was the leader of the clan, not her mother, it seemed? Especially since the issue itself (nevermind extra material) doesn't even explicify their connection other than "leader and subordinate", and how the main theme with Espio was "obedience to the rules even against one's heart".

Espio did all that because she was the leader of the clan, not her mother, it seemed? Especially since the issue itself (nevermind extra material) doesn't even explicify their connection other than "leader and subordinate", and how the main theme with Espio was "obedience to the rules even against one's heart".

I still doubt he would have so readily gone along with it if he wasn't blood related to her. And like I said, his statement and her reply to it sort of conveyed the fact that while they're supposed to run on cold logic, there's more to it than that.

True true Panda and VEDJ-F. Makes me wonder how much of the changes were done to make way for Sonic Boom too. They do work way ahead and consult with Sega, now more than probably ever before, and Ian has briefly implied that he knows a bit about the new cartoon by shooting down that rumor on the forums. Stuff is generally on a need to know basis right? So why would he need to know unless they plan to do an arc on it, small adaptation, or perhaps include some of the stuff from it in future maybe?

I wouldn't mind elements from the cartoon being mixed in. It'd feel like the early days where the comic was a hybrid of SatAM and AoStH.

God..imagine for a second the multi-verse breakdown ended up with Sonic, Tails, Amy and Knux being redesigned to fit the Sonic Boom designs...the uproar. Wouldn't happen, but just the thought popping into my head made me shudder a bit >.<

God..imagine for a second the multi-verse breakdown ended up with Sonic, Tails, Amy and Knux being redesigned to fit the Sonic Boom designs...the uproar. Wouldn't happen, but just the thought popping into my head made me shudder a bit >.<

I actually had a worry recently that, god forbid the rumours were true and the game canon was redesigned to reboot with Sonic Boom designs, it would mean Archie would need to go through ANOTHER reboot within a year and I bet Ian and crew are seriously fed up of reboots by now lmao.

I'm not so sure these designs for the cartoon are going to be apart of anything else.  I mean, from the looks of them, they are seriously changing them a bit and Sonic and his friends already have well established and well known designs.  So why redesign them so differently?  That's a bit of a gamble, that I think Sega would believe as too risky.  But still, the only way we'll really know for sure what's what is when we see what the new Sonic game is, since that may have a (in my opinion) tiny chance of introducing redesigns of the characters.

Plus, since Ian knows a bit about Sonic Boom and what it will entail (not all of it, but more than us), you'd imagine he'd be able to prepare in advance and not have to resort to a last minute reboot if it was going to have a profound effect on everything.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah that's true. You could say there is no lead up, or they would have done it already via the already changed universe. I do think there's a pretty good chance that the next exclusive Nintendo game may well be a side game based on Boom, for the kiddies. A reveal for Boom must be coming up and the next exclusive game reveal would be too, wouldn't put it past them that the two are linked. A side comic like Universe for Boom or even a Universe arc for it might be interesting tho.

I want some clarification.

What did they mean the whole multi-verse collapsed on itself? is this just some kind of cop-out to wipe out the other realities that were set up in the old!universe?

Also wouldn't wiping out the multi-verse mean wiping out the game!universe and Blaze's Sol Emerald universe?

Does this mean my theory about the old continuity is wrong? Or does it just mean that the old continuity has its own multiverse now? I'm not sure what to think, whether I should feel sad or hopeful. I'm so confused, and more hesitant than ever to accept this new canon.

Does this mean my theory about the old continuity is wrong? Or does it just mean that the old continuity has its own multiverse now? I'm not sure what to think, whether I should feel sad or hopeful. I'm so confused, and more hesitant than ever to accept this new canon.

It essentially means that the "old continuity" is more-or-less officially gone.

It essentially means that the "old continuity" is more-or-less officially gone.

See normally I would totally agree with you but

why the heck would they have an entire arc about helping characters remember the old continuity if the old continuity is now completely pointless? I just don't get it. It's like making an entire arc focused on getting a blueprint to a structure that no one ever intends on making.

Surely if they wanted to leave the old continuity "officially gone" they would give the characters a memory wipe and allow it to stay that way? Way less confusing, way less fans asking "hey when are they gonna sort that out!", etc. I don't understand why they make a deliberate point to keep their old memories if the old universe is gone forever.

I think Ian said somewhere that the old continuity is entirely irrelevant.

I could see a few potentials with for the old continuity to be relevant, like having Sonic apply something he learned in the old world to the new one, or something like a particular event happening and Sonic recalls something (an item, if you will) from the old world that he believes could've been useful for stopping it, leading him to seeing if he can seek it out again in the new world.