Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I think Ian said somewhere that the old continuity is entirely irrelevant.

I could see a few potentials with for the old continuity to be relevant, like having Sonic apply something he learned in the old world to the new one, or something like a particular event happening and Sonic recalls something (an item, if you will) from the old world that he believes could've been useful for stopping it, leading him to seeing if he can seek it out again in the new world.

I suppose that makes sense, but I still think it's silly to have a whole arc making a point of getting memories of the old continuity back if they're irrelevant. It's bound to make the average reader think that the old continuity is relevant, the average reader doesn't browse Bumbleking, the average reader will be blissfully unaware that retaining memories of the old world means absolutely nothing plot-wise, that the old plots will never have true conclusions, etc.

I just feel that a much more candid reboot would result in a lot less confusion and false hopes from readers.

It could have just been a way for the writers to put the characters in the same situation as us. Show that they know how people are feeling. The main cast retains the memory of the past universe and their history but there's nothing they can do to change or resolve it as it's now an all new world for them too. Art imitating real life so to speak.

• Thumbs Up 1

Crap that was a typo: I meant to say Ian said somewhere the old continuity ISN'T entirely irrelevant.

• Thumbs Up 1

Crap that was a typo: I meant to say Ian said somewhere the old continuity ISN'T entirely irrelevant.

Does this mean that the old continuity in which I wrote a 2-paragraph response to that is no longer relevant? tongue.png

(but ok that's pretty cool to know)

EDIT: and I've finished my catchup by reading the SU arcs for Treasure Team thingy, the Tails arc and the Silver arc. The Silver arc was actually pretty cool, I like how Silver just waltzed in there and took down possibly the strongest Archie villain. Suish? Maybe, but he did it while the biggest mary-su in the series was watching so I can dig. Plus he was pretty smart about it and it did make sense given his abilities. Gg Silver.

I prolly won't have much more to read for a while since I live so far away from my subscription, but once I get a firm idea of where my funds are/aren't going I'm gonna mayybe get some Archives.. that's gonna add up I bet.

The archives and collected works are good value even if they are a bit pricey. I collect them even tho I have all the normal issues, real nice covers with new art, harder to damage, more compact, and the collector in me likes that I don't have to unbag my comics and can keep them nice a clean haha. Mayhaps I should start investing in digital copies too.

How do we know that unleashed has even happened yet? just a thought

oh and that off panel XD

Whether it happened or not, the planet is being affected by the Chaos Emeralds the same way it was in the game.

Unless there's some kind of magic they can use to stop the planet from separating, Dark Gaia will be prematurely waking up soon.

Also, is the Sky Patrol pretty much a giant Opa Opa?

Also, is the Sky Patrol pretty much a giant Opa Opa?

It's a flying Sonic emblem.

Which is even more surreal.

If Zonic is gone theres gonna be a whooooooole lotta pissed off international fans, hes been getting popular with korean and japanese fanbases as of late.

.....Sonic has a Korean and Japanese fabase? I thought he was barely known outside of the U.S. and UK. 

The guy was practically created in Japan.  How can he not have a fanbase there?

He was created specifically to tackle a western audience which is why his design is so western-inspired.

He does have a fanbase in Japan but it's not very big.

It's easy to mistakenly fall into either extreme. He's not as big in Japan as in the US or UK, but he's not unknown either. I'd compare him more with something like Gundam in the US maybe.

Okay so I have to know... 

Is this world breaking up thing going to be Dark Gaia or...?

Most likely. Look at all the hints and future events

I agree with you.  Though I actually found it to be one of the most entertaining story lines in a while (excluding crossover).  Also, I completely agree with you on the Freedom Fighters now resembling something of a Sonic comic version Avengers/Justice League.  In fact I've always thought that tongue.png

Sonic Legacy #3 finally came out yesterday.

It has issues 37-54. Issue 50 is the Super Special version yet again, and it comes with the two Super Special stories that accompanied it in the Archives.

Book 4's cover at the back as always: 2a4h.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

I only have the first volume of the "Legacy" books, but I was wondering if they include anything other than just the main series run, like specials or mini-series (not counting using the "Director's Cut" edition of #50)? I haven't followed them too closely, and I feel like it'd be great to see everything released in chronological order like that. Somehow, I doubt Archie will do that though...

I might get this and the next volume though; I actually enjoyed that particular era before the "Sonic Adventure" era of the comic.

If I had to guess, the next volume will collect up to when #71 when Sonic's design was updated? Bates's artwork looks as good as always.

I'm always conflicted on reprints. I have all the main issues, so never really felt the need to buy them... but often they also have some really neat art on the front. They strike me as one of those things I want to own for the sake of owning.

One of the best ideas Archie ever had, I think, was inserting stuff like trivia and QnA alongside the actual reprints. It gives more precedent to get the books, I think, since they're more than just a copy/paste of the original comic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I only have the first volume of the "Legacy" books, but I was wondering if they include anything other than just the main series run, like specials or mini-series (not counting using the "Director's Cut" edition of #50)? I haven't followed them too closely, and I feel like it'd be great to see everything released in chronological order like that. Somehow, I doubt Archie will do that though...

I might get this and the next volume though; I actually enjoyed that particular era before the "Sonic Adventure" era of the comic.

If I had to guess, the next volume will collect up to when #71 when Sonic's design was updated? Bates's artwork looks as good as always.

So far, the Legacy books have been straight up omnibuses of the Sonic Archives. There are some extras that don't show up in Archives though. In Book 2 they randomly included some of the really early Off-Panel strips (the ones that had barely anything to do with sonic whatsoever).

Anyway, the special features in this book are a cover gallery of the relevant Archives volumes and textless frontis's from the Endgame issues.

So what does everybody think of the redesigns?

I like Antoine's. It really emphasises how he's a warrior now and not the cowardly French wannabe General that he was originally depicted as. It's great he's rid of his stereotypes in both personality and attire.

So far, the Legacy books have been straight up omnibuses of the Sonic Archives. There are some extras that don't show up in Archives though. In Book 2 they randomly included some of the really early Off-Panel strips (the ones that had barely anything to do with sonic whatsoever).

Anyway, the special features in this book are a cover gallery of the relevant Archives volumes and textless frontis's from the Endgame issues.

I see. It's neat that they go the extra mile like that, though it's kind of a shame they're just black and white versions of the Archives. The "Legacy" line should have been an opportunity to collect the story in full chronological order, placing everything that doesn't happen purely in the main book on a proper timeline. I do want to check out those textless frontispieces though; the art for those were always really cool, but they were covered up by all that lousy, hard-to-read font.

So what does everybody think of the redesigns?

I dig 'em. Probably the best thing about this whole refresher; these characters went unchanged for such a long stretch, it's nice for them to get updated in appearance and ability (Antoine's was especially cool to see) and become relevant again. They could've just as easily have been tossed to the side, but I'm glad that wasn't the case.

The redesigns are some of the best parts about the reboot.  I particularly like Sally and NICOLE's.  Plus, it's nice to see they've supped them up for this new universe, because they were sort of lacking in ability to match others on their side.  However, something keeps telling me that Rotor should've kept the cap.