Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

What? Semi-aquatic anthros whern't good enough? :V

Nope! 

I wanted some pure fresh water and saltwater fishies and stuff as anthros for the longest time. 

• Thumbs Up 1

but doesn't that mean that they WILL catch some shit though?

No more than they did before the reboot. Unless you mean people will complain about Archie having to gut the book of their previous characters and now they're making NEW characters to flesh out this new world.

Well... can't please everyone, I suppose.

The new shark character looks pretty cool, be interesting to see what his role is in the upcoming stories (doesn't seem like he's part of the Egg Army, so he could just be a territorial guardian or something that Sonic manages to piss off). Looking forward to this "adaptation" of Unleashed; with the upcoming SU arc and this storyline, we should be in for a really interesting take on those events.

So Ian was kind enough to answer my question. To be honest, the other question he answered is probably the one that will piss people off.

So Ian was kind enough to answer my question. To be honest, the other question he answered is probably the one that will piss people off.

Can you elaborate on that? I can't be "pissed off" at something I don't even know about.

I could see Mighty and Ray becoming former Chaotix members who decided to branch off and do their own thing.

You know, even if they aren't apart of Team Chaotix in this new world... I'm actually quite fine with that. They still have a close relationship, which is all good, and I'm actually interested in seeing in the future if Mighty and Ray will get their own Universe arc again (I consider the first Chaotix arc to also be a Mighty and Ray arc) and go on some fun adventures and whatnot. The two are great characters, and Ian giving them some love this year makes me get hyped

This is actually how I would imagine Mighty and Ray both just deciding to leave the Chaotix in the new world and become their own two man team.

MightyAndRay-Sonic212-noscale.jpg

Someone at BumbleKing asked if we'll be getting an explanation as to how the oceans don't spill over into the cracks in the world.

Ian's response:

Ooooooh yes. It's actually part of this story arc. So eager to get to a certain climactic scene....!

• Thumbs Up 6

You know, even if they aren't apart of Team Chaotix in this new world... I'm actually quite fine with that. They still have a close relationship, which is all good, and I'm actually interested in seeing in the future if Mighty and Ray will get their own Universe arc again (I consider the first Chaotix arc to also be a Mighty and Ray arc) and go on some fun adventures and whatnot. The two are great characters, and Ian giving them some love this year makes me get hyped

This is actually how I would imagine Mighty and Ray both just deciding to leave the Chaotix in the new world and become their own two man team.

MightyAndRay-Sonic212-noscale.jpg

I could see something along those lines, though another thought could be that, both Segasonic the hedgehog, and Knuckles chaotix both could have happened in this world, albeit quite different from both game and old comic versions

So heres my thought: after the events of Sonic arcade, Mighty and ray went off exploring the world on their own, and ran into the newly formed chaotix involving a bizarre case on a floating island, and they teamed up, and kept contact over the years, but Mighty and Ray decided to keep adventuring for the most part

Also another thought is do Heavy and Bomb still exist!?

Hey VEDJ-F, could be wrong but wasn't he called Fang in Sonic Fighters and Sonic Drift 2 aka Sonic Drift Racing in the USA. He's only been Nack in the first appearance in Triple Trouble yeah?

Eh either is fine by me, just curious as to his comment of only one of the games using Fang. Glad someone's still thinking about him tho, Sega don't seem to give a crap *shakes fist*

I was thinking something like that. I can correct him, although it probably won't affect things.

Edit: Don't forget his cameo in Tails Adventure either. 

Finally caught up with the thread, whoo.

Loving the Mickey Mouse-style Sonic renditions. I'd seen those hovering around but had no idea they were from one of Archie's projects. Neat concept by Jon Gray, however!

Digging the shark character. It's a Mobian type we've yet to see, so I'm very interested to see how it turns out... in truth I had also always wanted a hyena character who wasn't from the cartoon, too. Species under-appreciation sucks!

Will Chip make a appearance in the comic?

Oh boy, I hope so. He had his own charm in my personal view, though I'm sure there will be backlash. But, as was said, there will backlash over everything at this point so may as well go on full steam ahead.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was thinking something like that. I can correct him, although it probably won't affect things.

Edit: Don't forget his cameo in Tails Adventure either. 

Oh ya, his item box XD

Finally caught up with the thread, whoo.

Loving the Mickey Mouse-style Sonic renditions. I'd seen those hovering around but had no idea they were from one of Archie's projects. Neat concept by Jon Gray, however!

Digging the shark character. It's a Mobian type we've yet to see, so I'm very interested to see how it turns out... in truth I had also always wanted a hyena character who wasn't from the cartoon, too. Species under-appreciation sucks!

Oh boy, I hope so. He had his own charm in my personal view, though I'm sure there will be backlash. But, as was said, there will backlash over everything at this point so may as well go on full steam ahead.

Also, we could see a retooled chip, and I have a feeling they might make his introduction more natural, though its obvious after these events he will be gone forever much like tikal

Well, they DID turn Muttski into an actual Mobian...

I always kind of wondered what Chip would look like if he actually had a more respectable form and not that tiny imp state. I was expected him to at least have a growth spurt in Unleashed when he used his full power, rather than ripping off Power Rangers.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm glad that Ian can have it both ways with Nack. I think it makes sense to keep the name they've used for all these years and incorporate "Fang" as a nickname. I like that idea. I'm all down for it so long as you can have your cake and eat it, too!

I also like the idea of having Muttski be a turned into a Mobian. I know that you can have lesser beasts and anthropomorphic animals exist simultaneously, but I always thought it weird that Sonic owned a dog at all. I know it does make sense given what we know about the origin of Mobius, but it was always hard for me to accept it. I just think it's odd for an anthropomorphic animal to own an animal of lesser intelligence. I know you can make an analogy here between humans and orangutans to assert that it's not too weird if you give it some thought, but I still think it's weird all the same.

So what, Mighty and Ray can't be apart of the Chaotix or something? what else would SEGA be getting into a tiffy this time for?

I'm glad that Ian can have it both ways with Nack. I think it makes sense to keep the name they've used for all these years and incorporate "Fang" as a nickname. I like that idea. I'm all down for it so long as you can have your cake and eat it, too!

I also like the idea of having Muttski be a turned into a Mobian. I know that you can have lesser beasts and anthropomorphic animals exist simultaneously, but I always thought it weird that Sonic owned a dog at all. I know it does make sense given what we know about the origin of Mobius, but it was always hard for me to accept it. I just think it's odd for an anthropomorphic animal to own an animal of lesser intelligence. I know you can make an analogy here between humans and orangutans to assert that it's not too weird if you give it some thought, but I still think it's weird all the same.

There is some precedence in other media though, take Mickey Mouse and Pluto, for example. Indeed, it's kind of weird from our perspective, especially considering one of Mickey's best friends is a full anthropomorphic dog (Goofy), but hey it seems to work. I never had much of a problem with Sonic having a pet in that sense. But that's me, I guess. I do like Muttski being an anthropomorphic character though, especially with a link to Chuck; maybe it'll keep him from fading too much into the background and being forgotten for long stretches.

So what, Mighty and Ray can't be apart of the Chaotix or something? what else would SEGA be getting into a tiffy this time for?

I don't think it's the worst thing in the world, they're not on the team in the games (we're lucky Sonic Team is aware of their existence at this point), and given the nature of the reboot, it's not too surprising those two were moved around in the shuffle. I imagine SEGA just wants to the status quo of the games universe is in place with the characters that are considered "active" over there. Not sure why "status quo" gets to be thrown out the window with "Sonic Boom," but this isn't really the place for that... I'm more happy knowing they're still around at all--the comic is the only thing keeping characters like Mighty, Ray, Fang, Bean and Bark relevant at all!

Guess not, just wish they wouldn't get their panties in a knot over such small things in the comic when they are fine letting Sonic Boom do whatever the hell it wants.

Speaking of Sonic Boom:

Am I the only one thinking the comics promotion of the show will be more than just a simple one-shot tie-in? A fan asked about it in the Super Special and the response was completely obscured by a SPOILERS tag.

It better be just a 1-shot promotion. I don't want Sonic Universe to die off because they want to run Sonic Boom the comic or something, after all Sonic Universe killed Sonic X the comic.

I'm just crossing fingers that considering Sonic Boom does seem to be getting away with a lot, perhaps their myriad of villans old and new could include past ones not used anymore like the Battle Bird Armada or Nack, Bean and Bark (Archie has done a great job defining these old Sega characters so it's not like they would have too much work setting them up) or even bring back Scratch and Grounder for one shot episodes. Can't see it actually happening since they seem to ignore them in all the media they could get away with showing them in besides the comics of course.

If they ran a mini series or even a side comic I can't see the harm. Ian has posted that he has plans in place for the main comic and Universe so we gota assume since he knows about Boom that it isn't getting in the way of any current plans. Then again the writers and the readers seem to both be the last to know when plans are changed.

It better be just a 1-shot promotion. I don't want Sonic Universe to die off because they want to run Sonic Boom the comic or something, after all Sonic Universe killed Sonic X the comic.

I doubt it; The on-going and Universe are tied together as "Archie Sonic" collectively. And I think SU is doing well enough that SEGA wouldn't want to cancel it and take a risk on a new comic book series only. SU has basically opened up the comic world so the main book can focus more on Sonic's adventures while SU explores the rest of his world. If "Sonic Boom" does get a spin-off comic (ha, "if") I don't see why it can't run alongside the current on-going with no problems (and it'll practically be guaranteed sales). I like to think if IDW can juggle multiple TMNT books month-to-month, Archie can take on one more Sonic book just fine without sacrificing anything.

If that's true why did they cancel the sonic X comic in favor of sonic universe? They didn't want 3 sonic comics competing at each other my best guess is that sonic boom will have atleast 1 arc a year in sonic universe or something

They didn't have much stories to tell with Sonic X, with them being stuck "between" episodes of the show... There were some nice ideas like El Gran Gordo, but other than those few moments, it was dull IMO and I was tired of seeing Chris (never liked the kid. He was decent during the Metarex saga though).

Sonic Universe offers more variety.