Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Ya know what's sad?

Archie are forbidden from ever using Penders stuff again, regardless of any future development. So if Penders project fails (which I honestly think it will), these characters will literally be gone forever in every medium.

If that's the case, what are they doing in regards to the reprint volumes a la Archives and Legacy? Or are they still allowed to reprint those, so long as they don't use his ideas and characters again in new stories?

Ya know what's sad?

Archie are forbidden from ever using Penders stuff again, regardless of any future development. So if Penders project fails (which I honestly think it will), these characters will literally be gone forever in every medium.

Unless ken sells them but who's seriously going to buy them?

If that's the case, what are they doing in regards to the reprint volumes a la Archives and Legacy? Or are they still allowed to reprint those, so long as they don't use his ideas and characters again in new stories?

Reprints seem to be in the clear, since production on those hasn't been halted, even during the legal proceedings (though Penders did try to delay shipments of Knuckles Archives--obviously he failed). I don't even think the reprint collections have been altered in any way either as a result of all that other stuff.

You don't think Archie will jump on Ian about him and his pet project to write up what the plans for the original future issues do you?

Or because its a home project with no involvement from them that it will slide through alright? Last I saw he hadn't run it by them, which could be a bit dangerous don't you think?

Didn't Ian say that there should be no problem with him revealing that stuff since he hadn't shown it to Archie? Or something along the lines of that. 

Graphic novel reprints are completely immune. Super Special and Digest reprints are a little different, in that they are banned from printing stories Ken wrote (and judging by the most recent issues, stories that Bollers and Gallagher wrote too) stories by other writers that feature his characters are fine though.

Didn't Ian say that there should be no problem with him revealing that stuff since he hadn't shown it to Archie? Or something along the lines of that.

That would imply that he's taking a "What Archie don't know won't hurt them" approach. That'd be awefully risky. Doing something like that behind his imployers back wouldn't look very good.

From Flynn's post on BumbleKing:

Along that line... Archie is cool with this?

I don't know - I haven't asked. This is all me. Since this material isn't being used by them, and a fair bit of it was never shown to them, they're not really involved. This is just me doing something for the fans. An informal, unlicensed, non-profit, unofficial thing for fun.

So, they don't know, and I don't think he intends to tell them.

It won't matter since 1) those stories will never happen since reboot and 2) It has no effect on Archie or SEGA and 3) Paul Kaminski probably would of done something since he has a bumbleking account(although idk if this one counts)

Graphic novel reprints are completely immune. Super Special and Digest reprints are a little different, in that they are banned from printing stories Ken wrote (and judging by the most recent issues, stories that Bollers and Gallagher wrote too) stories by other writers that feature his characters are fine though.

I figured as much. this explains why books like "Legacy" and "Archives" are okay, but the Super Special and Digest only have either very recent stories or very old ones. 

This is why I haven't picked up recent Super Specials. The stories are still too fresh in my memory.

Ya know what's sad?

As Zaysho said earlier, it isn't as if Archie is forbidden from using them in future issues, they just refuse to use them after everything that's happened. Although it pains me to think that we may never see so many characters again, I understand why Archie would want to distance themselves from Ken. His litigious streak has probably burned a bridge too many; and I'm sure it would be too much of a risk to do business with him, even if that only involves using his characters under a license. 

I don't wish anything bad on Ken, but I don't think The Lara-Su Chronicles are going to go over as well as Ken hopes. I doubt his art and writing have improved at all over these years; so they will be received as well as most of his material toward the end of his tenure with Archie. In other words, it won't end well for him. I'm sure it will be a source of unintentional comedy but not much else. 

You don't really have to imagine much, he's already shown off the "art" of the books in the new character designs and logo/set pieces. And he's also released basic scripting pages for people to check out.

Put these two things together and you basically have a look at what the book will be. The usual Penders furry drama but with no Sega to back it up. It is humorous seeing the names and things he's changed to skirt the things Sega owns. But overall its pretty bland. Poor old Knuckles...I mean "Praetorian" has been reduced to a bit part too, at least as far as I skimmed.

I'm kinda shocked he hasn't taken a queue or the opportunity in the soft reboot, dimensional shenanigans in the Archie comics to start his series. "Praetorian awoke after the flash to find his surroundings had changed..the world felt different..yet he saw others around him he knew, they also seemed dazed and confused"

I mean he's riding the coat tails of everything else so why not right? Sorry...sorry...little bit of a low blow I know >.<

Ya know what's sad?

And this is why we need to support the Lara-Su Chronicles. Either that or convince Ian to bring the characters back eventually.

Unless ken sells them but who's seriously going to buy them?

I would.

And this is why we need to support the Lara-Su Chronicles. Either that or convince Ian to bring the characters back eventually.

HAHA! Boy, that's a good one, you really had me going there! 

I would.

HAHAHA No! I honestly hope you were joking. I am not going to take a penny out of my pocket to that man. All this legal BS just so he can continue the stories that nobody asked for.That book is going end up as the same fate as his other "master pieces" such as the lost ones and the republic ill be surprise if it even last more than 6 issues.

As for convincing Ian no he has no control over it all he has is creative freedom at the end of the day it's Archie's decision to use the rights to the characters(which they won't) but more importantly its SEGA's choice if they want Archie to use them(which they sure as hell won't) this lawsuit is probably the best thing to happen to the book

HAHA! Boy, that's a good one, you really had me going there! 

Yeah...I wasn't actually joking, you know.

HAHAHA No! I honestly hope you were joking. I am not going to take a penny out of my pocket to that man. All this legal BS just so he can continue the stories that nobody asked for.That book is going end up as the same fate as his other "master pieces" such as the lost ones and the republic ill be surprise if it even last more than 6 issues.

Sorry, 100% serious. Do you want these characters to vanish forever? If the Lara-Su Chronicles is the only way we're ever going to see them again, we don't really have a choice in the matter.

As for convincing Ian no he has no control over it all he has is creative freedom at the end of the day it's Archie's decision to use the rights to the characters(which they won't) but more importantly its SEGA's choice if they want Archie to use them(which they sure as hell won't)

I don't care who we need to speak with, the banned cast need to come back somehow. I don't want their story to end with being erased from history! That just isn't fair at all!

this lawsuit is probably the best thing to happen to the book

How can you say that? The lawsuit ruined everything. Most of the characters I became attached to are as good as dead if what I've been hearing is correct, and here you are praising their murder! What kind of sociopathic bastard are you?

Yeah...I wasn't actually joking, you know.

Sorry, 100% serious. Do you want these characters to vanish forever? If the Lara-Su Chronicles is the only way we're ever going to see them again, we don't really have a choice in the matter.

I don't care who we need to speak with, the banned cast need to come back somehow. I don't want their story to end with being erased from history! That just isn't fair at all!

How can you say that? The lawsuit ruined everything. Most of the characters I became attached to are as good as dead if what I've been hearing is correct, and here you are praising their murder! What kind of sociopathic bastard are you?

I know you weren't joking. Neither was I.

I do indeed want those characters to vanish forever.

Life isn't fair, and they're fictional, so I don't think their feelings will be hurt too badly.

The lawsuit is the best thing to happen to the book. It got rid of everything I disliked about the comic series.

My goodness, you people are self-centered. You aren't the only folks who want to read and enjoy these comics, and for life not being fair it's certainly not all about you. It's funny how we lost characters and are getting complete new ones that we've no clue will actually be any better.

Fact is, they aren't coming back, Ian has said so, Archie pretty much has said as much for Ian to say so, and Sega may as well have said so. Unfortunately for the people that don't like it, they just have to deal. These things happen sometimes and you can't always get things back once they are dead...there's a life lesson there somewhere I think.

I said it once before but maybe it needs saying again. The extra characters we lost were all new characters once, and some people grew to like them. The same could and very well will happen to these new characters they are bringing in now. And no, you don't know if they will be "better" than the ones that are gone (in itself very subjective), just as you didn't know the ones that are gone were going to be any good at first.

Give it/them a chance, see where it goes before writing their death certificate before they have even had a chance to show us their potential. The franchise is ever changing on all fronts and that means sometimes fans of a particular thing end up losing out, it's not ideal but you can't please everyone...you usually end up a broken wreck if you try >.<

I do indeed want those characters to vanish forever.

Why, though? They never did anything to warrant their removal, so I don't understand why you would want them gone.

Life isn't fair, and they're fictional, so I don't think their feelings will be hurt too badly.

What does that have to do with anything? I just want their story to have a happy ending.

The lawsuit is the best thing to happen to the book. It got rid of everything I disliked about the comic series.

But that was stuff I enjoyed! Doesn't my opinion matter as well?

I personally don't want to see Penders find any measure of success after what he's caused. I hope his project falls flat on its face.

(although I am a tad alarmed by how many people around here plan to buy it for the lulz. I don't want to advocate for something unethical here, but if there was ever a time to boot up your *blank* and start up that download of *censored*..... u get the idea.)

If it means the loss of some of the characters I've gotten attached to over the years.... it sucks but I'd rather see them off than watch somebody profit off of them in such a backhanded way.

Why, though? They never did anything to warrant their removal, so I don't understand why you would want them gone.

What does that have to do with anything? I just want their story to have a happy ending.

What do you mean?  Does you opinion matter to me?  Heck no.  I don't give a damn about you, except that I registered just for the express purpose of expressing my indignation at your egotism.

You know who I miss?  He-Man.  I really loved Masters of the Universe, the reboot.  But it got cancelled, and we never got to see Hordak come back and Skeletor and He-Man team up.  That sucks, but you know what?  I got over it.  Because it doesn't really matter what I think.  The only thing I have total say over is Wichcaf Oinhev and the Hot Blue Hue available in North American bookstores in March 2015 *chaching*.

No you wanna know something:  You've gotta divorce yourself from these franchises and learn to enjoy them on their terms rather than your own.

See, not trying to be mean, but I wasn't being specific over being self-centered.

I'm buying the comics to read too, there are things in it I like and things I don't like. But just because I lost the things I do like or things that I didn't like being unfinished doesn't mean I'm going to instantly support anything that allows its continued existence, especially if it's supporting he person who's responsible for this whole mess in the first place.

But there's the silver lining of them not being forgotten forever since they were still apart of the comic in the past and are kept on record. And if Ian can deliver with his write up of his original plans, then all the better. But as good and bad as something's are, there is a point where we do have to move on and judge from there.

I'm not going to be mean-spirited and say good riddance towards the stuff I didn't care for towards those that did, but unless you want to take it in your own hands to finish what wasn't complete all you can do is blame Penders. Seriously, I'm not supporting shit he makes...

• Thumbs Up 2