Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Okay, the preview has to be today. I've bought my copy from Forbidden Planet this afternoon!

Last time I bought a comic (SU#61) it was the variant cover, but this time it was the standard cover instead. That actually might be a good thing, because if I was forced to buy the variant with Sally's dominant visage on instead of the cover with more cameos on, the little princess would have had an earful from me...

Just found a preview on Archie's blog... http://www.archiecomics.com/Blogs/tabid/97/EntryId/1558/ON-SALE-TODAY.aspx

Probably will grab this either at the end of the week or next week.

EDIT: Oh, lame. You can't click on the thumbnails...? OK, I got nothin'. EDIT2: Actually, just right click and view the images and they show them at full-size.

Edited by Zaysho

That seems to me a page of the mains and it's clearly Jennifer drawing.

...justtrustmeokayI'msureofit

Still not quite convinced, but I'm not a Sonic artist connoisseur so my thoughts are basically worthless.

On the bright side, I re-learnt that Aleah is writing one of the stories, presumably the back-up. It's good to remind ourselves about that. 

On the completely different side, we have new solicitations.

sth-262.jpg

1339701_ful.jpg

(W) Ian Flynn, Aleah Baker (A) Evan Stanley & Various (CA) Ben Bates

Catch some sun and ride the wave as the aquatic adventure continues in ‘Waves of Change,’ Part 3! Sonic faces a city invasion by the ominous Dark Gaia Monsters! To make it even worse, the invasion is underwater – and Sonic can’t swim! As the struggle turns desperate, will it be Amy’s mission to find the key to saving them all, or will Sonic be left to drown? Then, in ‘The Light in the Dark,’ Part 2, the Freedom Fighters find what they’re looking for – but will their own divisions bring them down? Featuring new cover art from Ben Bates and an extra-special ‘monster movie’ variant from artist T.REX!

su65.jpg

su65v.jpg

(W) Ian Flynn (A) Jim Amash & Various (CA) Tracy Yardley & Various

Bust out your detective hats and hop on the case in ‘The Great Chaos Caper,’ Part 3. Knuckles and the Chaotix are in the heart of the Aquatic Mines-where their only two options are to get crushed by a cave-in, or to drown! How on earth (and below earth!) can they make it out alive? And once they do, they’ve got to chase down the unlikely Chaos Emerald thief before Nack’s team of Hooligans beat them to it! Add in ravenous Dark Gaia Monsters, and there may be too much for our heroes to handle! Featuring new cover art from Sonic comic guru Tracy Yardley and an awesome SEGA game art variant starring the Chaotix!

sssm12.jpg

(W) Ian Flynn (A) Patrick Spaz Spaziante & Various (CA) Ben Bates

Celebrate 25 years of the SEGA Genesis with this extra-special anniversary edition of Sonic Super Special Magazine! Take a look back at the SEGA system that started a revolution with this anniversary issue featuring the origins of such hit games as Golden Axe, Altered Beast, Streets of Rage, and more, alongside awesome new pin-up art from the Archie team! Plus, an interview with Sonic inker supreme Terry Austin and an all-new foil-enhanced cover from the incomparable Ben Bates! This issue is jam-packed with awesomeness!

• Thumbs Up 9

Oh god Chip finally makes his appearance, can't wait for that, blah.

Also, man what happened in terms of alternate covers? They seem to just be so shitty now, I'm fucking sick of them coping out with bland renders instead of actual art.

On the completely different side, we have new solicitations.

sth-262.jpg

1339701_ful.jpg

su65.jpg

su65v.jpg

sssm12.jpg

So THATS how they're bringing chip, this ought to be interesting

Dark Gaia monsters! Chip! THE GENESIS! Hot damn June's gonna be a great month for the comics. The Unleashed adaptation is slowly making its way here. Yes, I can't wait! All the covers look fantastic! ...Except for the variants. Yeah, those are- I'm never that big on covers that use generic CGI models we've seen tons of times before.

And already the complaints are beginning to appear all over Tumblr. Jeez guys, I know you're scared they might mess up this Unleashed adaptation and or ruin the Werehog/Chip/Etc. but can you read it before complaining and whatnot?

Sheesh.

• Thumbs Up 6

Also, anybody else glad we have an arc coming up that invovles both Team Hooligan, and Chaotix heavily(even if mighty and ray arent around)? its nice to see some forgotten characters get some spotlight

O1339701_ful.jpg

Hmm... that shot of the Nightmare looks strangely familiar...

Majorasmask.png

... Perhaps a bit too familiar? Oh dear.

• Thumbs Up 8

And already the complaints are beginning to appear all over Tumblr. Jeez guys, I know you're scared they might mess up this Unleashed adaptation and or ruin the Werehog/Chip/Etc. but can you read it before complaining and whatnot?

Sheesh.

Ugh, I saw that on my feed and that sort of thing annoys me to no end. I honestly don't care if Archie approaches things differently with Unleashed. I don't need or want a 1:1 adaptation and I'd like to give them some credit that it's not going to be nearly as stupid or misguided as "Sonic Adventure" was back in the day.  Archie is by no means immune to criticism, either in the past or now, but it'd be nice to see a complaint that isn't simply comparing two very different continuities (an excuse Archie critics use to avoid talking about what's actually compatible--such as certain character traits or ideas--with the games universe) and deeming one shittier than the other by that fact alone. I'm not saying every one of Archie's critics does this (some do have reasonable arguments, whether I agree with them or not), but I primarily see complaints that boil down to thinking Archie will ruin the precious games-verse, something that the current Sonic Team obviously needs no help doing.

I am curious to see how Chip will be characterized though. Things do seem pretty different already, especially with him coming across Knuckles and getting mixed up in a whole mess with the Chaotix and Team Hooligan, so it should be interesting to see the kind of spin they put on it. It's also going to be interesting in seeing how Knuckles and the Chaotix have been revamped in this universe.