Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

What I don't understand is why he's so fixated on these characters. Why is he so obsessed with fantasy echidnas? I remember reading something from him ages ago where he stated that the Dark Legion were superior villains to Robotnik, showing just how out of touch with Sonic he was and still is.

Future Mobius is canon?

Bah, anyways, the man has to financially break at some point, he can't sue forever. I'd be glad if we could get some alternate dimension counterparts to what we lost some day in the future.

What I don't understand is why he's so fixated on these characters. Why is he so obsessed with fantasy echidnas? I remember reading something from him ages ago where he stated that the Dark Legion were superior villains to Robotnik, showing just how out of touch with Sonic he was and still is.

Simply put; he is poor; he has no money; has not made a successful comic since his days in Archie and can't find work in his industry. So he wanted the characters hoping that Archie would be so desperate for them back that they'd keep paying him for absolutely nothing. Or that he could make money from their name alone. He is delusional by riding on his former fame in hopes that the name recognition will sell his own book.

That's what happens when you work for a company, you give all your ideas to them and they are permanently theirs unless you worked out a deal during the beginning of your run, stating that you had rights to characters. When a person doesn't like that idea, they make their own independent comic. Penders didn't and shouldn't have been paid anything, but because his contract was lost, all hell breaks loose. 

Archie isn't blameless, considering they should've been more careful with their contracts in case something like this happens. 

Future Mobius is canon?

He wants it to be. IIRC, Ken even got into a heated argument with SEGA, who refused to allow MxYL to be canon due to the liberties he took with the characters. The thing is, Penders is obsessed with his ideas and only his, to a point where he's ignored other writers' contributions. The guy is a narcissist, and sometimes I can't help but feel like there is something wrong with the guy due to how out of touch with reality he is.

Yeah in the Lara su chronicles mobius 25 years later is canon which contradicts itself

Well, to interrupt the Ken Penders bashing (don't worry, I approve), I'll just say that I've spent the last couple of months (well, a little longer), reading the entire Archie Sonicverse. I was not expecting to enjoy it as much as I have done, but I figured I may as well give it a shot, since I re-read Fleetway's Sonic the Comic last year and really enjoyed that. But, yeah, having read all of StH, it's specials, and its spinoffs (well, except Sonic X, but I'm not sure that actually counts), I've found myself not only enjoying StH, but enjoying it even more than I enjoyed StC, and I'm pretty well hooked now... and annoyed that I'm fully caught up, since it means I have to wait for new issues like everyone else now. 

I don't have too much to say about the latest developments, but I'm finding the new look of characters might actually be growing on me. I'll continue to read with great interest. Thank goodness for smartphones and Comixology! When I tried to get into StH back in 2001 the first time, I had to depend on Forbidden Planet to get hold of the book, and it was not a reliable import. And my local Forbidden Planet now here in Edinburgh doesn't even stock anything by Archie. So, while having the physical book would be nice, digital comics will do. If nothing else, they're cheaper. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Mobius: 25 Years Later... hmm. Come to think of it, I've never actually read the original one; just the mini-arc sequel of sorts from early in Ian's run, and I thought that one was rather boring and ridiculous. Is there anything remotely redeemable about it?

All that comes to mind when recalling what little I've read from the original MXYL is that it was just 'all dialogue, no action.'

'Cause heaven forbid I should expect some action when reading a comic about Sonic the freakin' Hedgehog....

• Thumbs Up 1

Mobius: 25 Years Later... hmm. Come to think of it, I've never actually read the original one; just the mini-arc sequel of sorts from early in Ian's run, and I thought that one was rather boring and ridiculous. Is there anything remotely redeemable about it?

Barely, unless you like the typical teen drama stuff and slice of life (the latter is a guilty pleasure of mine, tho).

Only thing notable about it is how the old one would set up for the new one of Ian's run.

• Thumbs Up 1

It has been awhile since I posted in this thread. I lost interest in this comic due to Penders being a dick and ruining a good thing and gone off to Miles Morales. So what has been happening so far? Is Penders still trying to sue Sega for rip-offs of characters?

No but he's still trying to be a dick about how LSC is going to be the best thing ever, just the same old and shameful Penders.

It has been awhile since I posted in this thread. I lost interest in this comic due to Penders being a dick and ruining a good thing and gone off to Miles Morales. So what has been happening so far? Is Penders still trying to sue Sega for rip-offs of characters?

nope, its all over for the most part, the reboot is going well, and we are about to get an arc that has Knux, Team Chaotix, and Team hooligan!

nope, its all over for the most part, the reboot is going well, and we are about to get an arc that has Knux, Team Chaotix, and Team hooligan!

Is that in StH or Sonic Universe?

Is that in StH or Sonic Universe?

Universe.

I think those cases have pretty much been dismissed. There were some rumblings that he'd go after SEGA again (and he did make some misguided attempt over Mega Collection of all things--because it had a reprint of one of his stories from the "Sonic Firsts" special--a while back), but right now I think he's just focusing on LSC and deflecting even constructive criticism. You know, same old, same old. Despite the circumstances that led to the reboot, it ain't too bad actually. I miss a lot of the old world, but Flynn and the rest of the creative aren't going to leave us hanging, and the Freedom Fighters being retooled as they have been has so far worked out pretty well.

Wow. I'm dying here. This man simply slays me. 

@LienDuh @TaylorHedgie Knuckles actually sold more copies per issue than Sonic is currently selling. Walmart dumping comics is what hurt us.

Wow, really? You bloody ego maniac.

It's hard not to talk about this man.

• Thumbs Up 1

Man should be a comedian, hes fucking brilliant at it!

Fuck this comic book thing seriously.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love his posts.

It's just gonna make the crash and burning from the LSC's eventual failure all the more sweeter.

Wow. I'm dying here. This man simply slays me. 

Wow, really? You bloody ego maniac.

It's like being the world's tallest midget. Nobody cares. Cripes, the man just needs to shut up; the hole is deep enough!

How did Walmart dumping comics only kill the Knuckles book anyway? Why didn't it lead to the cancellation of the Sonic book as well? Bookstores were a much bigger deal back then, and all the Sonic books always had healthy representation on the newsstands. Not to mention all the subscribers. I really don't think Penders can give us an unbiased account of the how and why. The same reason I doubt his claim that "no one complained" about his appropriation (read: plagiarism) of Niemoller's poem. That book got canceled for a reason, and the later stories were probably just not interesting to potential readers that wanted more stories about Sonic.

EDIT: Waitasecond, don't we have a Penders thread now?

Edited by Zaysho

EDIT: Waitasecond, don't we have a Penders thread now?

We do man, but it's sooo hard to not bring it up here. Really this stuff should've been posted there.

And technically this has more to do with the StH comics than LSC.