Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

We do man, but it's sooo hard to not bring it up here. Really this stuff should've been posted there.

And technically this has more to do with the StH comics than LSC.

True, I just realized we actually have a dumping ground for all this vitriol. I mean, I know the monthly wait for new comics is a little excruciating, but there has to be something to talk about other than one egotistical, has-been writer. Oh well. I suppose it's slightly better than playing the "guess who ISN'T coming back?" game. That gets kind of depressing.

That's hard considering this specific has been writer is the reason we're in this mess. I'm sure when LSC comes out; bombs, and a year passes, we'll go back to the norm.

• Thumbs Up 1

nope, its all over for the most part, the reboot is going well, and we are about to get an arc that has Knux, Team Chaotix, and Team hooligan!

Does Team Hooligan have a lot of Bean?

Does Team Hooligan have a lot of Bean?

Yep, to much Bean id say XD

I mean we JUST got done with a Universe Arc that was full of Bean, it's weird how he's already back

Too much, Bean? Like...that is crazy. There is no such thing as too much motherfucking BEAN THE MOTHERFUCKING DYNAMITE! Holy shit, this reboot is worth getting into after all.

• Thumbs Up 5

I love how Flynn writes Bean! It's fantastic! I never expected to see Bean in an official publication and when he did show up eventually, the way Flynn wrote him was just perfect. The sheer randomness of him always puts a smile on my face.

jesus-facepalm.jpg

Penders...just goddammit.

You're making it so much harder not to wish something terrible happening to you, and all over a damn comic book of all things.

So to protect my sanity, I'm officially dubbing you a troll from here on out, like we should have done ages ago. All in favor?

• Thumbs Up 2

I love how Flynn writes Bean! It's fantastic! I never expected to see Bean in an official publication and when he did show up eventually, the way Flynn wrote him was just perfect. The sheer randomness of him always puts a smile on my face.

He writes a lot of the characters very well. He has a great grasp on who they are as characters and how they tick. He's even given Bark decent dialogue for a guy that doesn't talk much. He uses the "lost" characters quite a bit which I love to bits. Can't wait to see Nack again.

Dunno if it was his idea for Mighty and Ray to be the alternate Sonic and Tails but it worked really well. He found homes and personalities for characters that were barely used, gave them purpose. Wrote arcs that we all complained about not ending, which means he can captivate us.

If anyone's a "savior" it's him, not Penders.

• Thumbs Up 6

jesus-facepalm.jpg

Penders...just goddammit.

You're making it so much harder not to wish something terrible happening to you, and all over a damn comic book of all things.

So to protect my sanity, I'm officially dubbing you a troll from here on out, like we should have done ages ago. All in favor?

Aye! Also, does anyone have footage of Penders that someone could overlay the trolling song with?

Talking of Penders being so very precious over the things he created while working on a collaborative licensed comic book that was always going to be written by someone else eventually (even if some of his creations were just Sonic in a biker jacket, or Sonic dressed up as Robin Hood, or re-purposed SatAM background characters), I think some of these images reveal the man's blatant hypocrisy.

post-200-0-12406700-1395476332_thumb.png post-200-0-65886100-1395476720_thumb.png 

Any of those vehicles look familiar to you guys...? And it doesn't end there, but I'm constrained by upload limits. Those are the two most egregious examples I can recall. There were also Starfleet shuttlecraft on more than one occasion. By his own logic, maybe Lucasarts and Paramount should be suing Penders...

He writes a lot of the characters very well. He has a great grasp on who they are as characters and how they tick. He's even given Bark decent dialogue for a guy that doesn't talk much. He uses the "lost" characters quite a bit which I love to bits. Can't wait to see Nack again.

Dunno if it was his idea for Mighty and Ray to be the alternate Sonic and Tails but it worked really well. He found homes and personalities for characters that were barely used, gave them purpose. Wrote arcs that we all complained about not ending, which means he can captivate us.

If anyone's a "savior" it's him, not Penders.

Also, well said. I agree completely. Indeed, it is largely because of Flynn (as well as some of the more recent artists, I will admit), that I've come to love the comic so much. It took a while to really impress me, but once it did, I found it hard to put the book down, which will go some lengths to explain how I read over two hundred issues in a couple of months...

Well, two hundred issues of the main title, plus approaching a hundred issues of spinoffs...

• Thumbs Up 2

Did he seriously just use the X-wing fighter and Slave in the comics? And then deny the Star Wars influence?

Yep, so much troll...and since he's suing Archie, he should get sued by Lucasarts.

• Thumbs Up 1

Did he seriously just use the X-wing fighter and Slave in the comics? And then deny the Star Wars influence?

Yep, so much troll...and since he's suing Archie, he should get sued by Lucasarts.

Indeed! Especially if, as he claims, he's the sole owner of those stories. 

Oh, and how could I possibly forget this? It was in the very first issue of StH that I ever read, back in 2001.

post-200-0-30038400-1395478050_thumb.png

Anyways, one of the things that's bugging me about the whole Penders lawsuit nonsense is the way it's not just affected characters, but places as well. During the Endangered Species arc, the script stopped referring to Albion by name, instead calling it "the echidna homeland". Really, Ken? Really? You, sir, did not invent the name "Albion"; the Romans did, it's what they called England. It's derived from the Latin "albus", which means "white", and refers to the white cliffs of Dover, which was the first the Romans ever saw of England across the channel from France (well, Gaul). I'm pretty sure the name Albion is public domain by now. If not, maybe Ken should try suing Lionhead Studios... 

And it doesn't stop there. I notice that Mercia is now Avalon. Again, Mercia is an actual place; it was one of the early medieval kingdoms that preceded a united England. It roughly corresponds with the Midlands today. Where I'm from, in fact. Once more, I don't see how Penders can claim a right to a name like that...

I think that the loophole in all of these copyright cases you hear about is that - well, to take the Mercia example, Penders would claim that he invented the idea of applying the name of Mercia to a specific fictional location in the Sonic the Hedgehog universe.  Thus, if anyone else refers to a Mercia in the Sonic the Hedgehog universe, they're either ripping him off or risking consumer confusion with his original idea.  So it's not just the name, it's the way it's applied.

It's the same with stuff like "Evil Sonic," or echidnas in wigs.  These are terrible, barely original ideas, but Penders got there first in a published medium.  The character of Evil Sonic may be unoriginal in the extreme, but he can claim to have invented that very specific character in that very specific context, and thus any future uses of either Evil Sonic, an evil Sonic, or a character originating from or based on Evil Sonic is ultimately related to his original property.  Therefore he gets the rights no matter how much farther other people have pushed the idea since then - because he got in first and other people built on his idea.  (With that said, I don't imagine that he could possibly use the name "Evil Sonic" outside of a Sonic medium - but Scourge, and the sunglasses and leather jacket?  Different matter.)

What I honestly don't understand is how he's able to use these characters' appearances (and in some cases general concepts) outside of licensed Sonic the Hedgehog media, since their roots are so clearly based in Sonic material.  He can claim to have invented the names and bare bones of a character, but Evil Sonic and Lara-Su and whoever are so clearly derived from Sonic and Knuckles that I'd have thought it would be the easiest case in the world to argue that his characters infringe on Sega's copyright in the sense that there is a genuine chance of the average consumer confusing his material with Sega's original copyrighted material.  I guess I'm crossing my fingers that the moment the Lara-Su Chronicles enter the publication process then Sega will leap on him with a lawsuit of their own.

Edit: Stuff like ripping off the Holocaust poem and Star Wars vehicles is a different matter, of course.  First off, it's hypocrisy, but that's not necessarily illegal.  I would imagine he'd want to claim that these weren't substantial references but were works of parody or allusion?  I think Fair Use protects those to a limited extent.  More likely it just slips under the radar.

• Thumbs Up 2

Uhh, I'd hate to be 'that guy', but don't we have a Penders topic...?

I don't suppose there's any previews up yet, is there? Feels like it's been ages since the last Universe issue and I just want that over with. It's harder to tell when the issues are releasing when you're in the UK and importing is a delayed reaction.

#258 came out Wednesday. It's probably going to be one and a half weeks until SU#62's previews.

Did you guys see the part where he tried so hard to downplay Mike Gallagher & Angelo for their contributions? https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/447204342039195648

And I find it funny he brought up Kanterovich when he laid claim to a dirivative of a character Mike K. created (Fiona). But, as mentioned, this IS the guy who thinks he owns alternate versions of Sonic & Robotnik...

...I just... how can he say that he "saved" Sonic with a straight face, even ignoring his lawsuit stunts? Arguably, by killing off Robotnik in Endgame, he hurt the comic more than he could ever have "saved" it; I'd further argue that Karl Bollers saved the book from Ken's "no more Robotnik" by introducing Eggman and finally giving the comic it's direction back after the Naugus Hunt & stuff (this isn't counting how Karl eventually fell into a rut).

But yeah, Ian & Tracey are more saviors than Ken or Karl; they actually took the mess the latter two left behind and made it enjoyable again. And this is coming from someone who started reading during the Karl era!

Yeah, me thinks we need a Penders specific topicfor all things Penders and the complete stupidity he's spouting, lol.

Now I finally understand why Ken killed off Robotnik - with an ego like that, he couldn't handle the competition.

Damn it Penders. I know you were an asshole when reading about people's experiences running into you during conventions, but this is the lowest of the low.

• Thumbs Up 2

What did Ken do at the conventions you are talking about? From what I've heard, Ken apparently tries to play "Mr. Dogged Nice Guy" to everyone he meets or talks to? Which just shows how two-faced he really is.

What did Ken do at the conventions you are talking about? From what I've heard, Ken apparently tries to play "Mr. Dogged Nice Guy" to everyone he meets or talks to? Which just shows how two-faced he really is.

Pretty much being a two-faced liar and arrogant from what I recall. I had this conversation with someone earlier and I tried to dredge up the page that people were talking about their convention experiences with the man, but the URL was gone and the Wayback Machine didn't track the site either.

Sorry.

Pretty much being a two-faced liar and arrogant from what I recall. I had this conversation with someone earlier and I tried to dredge up the page that people were talking about their convention experiences with the man, but the URL was gone and the Wayback Machine didn't track the site either.

Sorry.

One guy claimed that Ken charged him $3 for an autograph. 

One guy claimed that Ken charged him $3 for an autograph.

In fairness, charging for autographs isn't completely unheard of... Though I feel like I wouldn't hear about it with comic cats... selling drawings or merchandise they have on hand, sure, but not signing stuff the fans brought with them. I dunno.

I'd say charging for autographs is a bit much. When at SoS they do not charge for autographs. Hand drawn pictures, yes but that's them actually working for it. Tracy Yardley drew me a picture at SoS11 for £2. I doubled it to £4 because I thought £2 was too little for the work he did.

I'd say charging for autographs is a bit much. When at SoS they do not charge for autographs. Hand drawn pictures, yes but that's them actually working for it. Tracy Yardley drew me a picture at SoS11 for £2. I doubled it to £4 because I thought £2 was too little for the work he did.

Well, I mostly hear about charging for autographs with celebrities at big conventions and stuff. Like I said, unless it's for drawings comic artists do for convention goers or merchandise they have on hand, it's a little odd for them to charge for simply signing something you hand to them. So, yeah, I agree with you here.