Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

In fairness, charging for autographs isn't completely unheard of... Though I feel like I wouldn't hear about it with comic cats... selling drawings or merchandise they have on hand, sure, but not signing stuff the fans brought with them. I dunno.

Still better than ken selling 175 issue on eBay and sighing it and issue he didn't write

Dunno if it was his idea for Mighty and Ray to be the alternate Sonic and Tails but it worked really well. He found homes and personalities for characters that were barely used, gave them purpose. Wrote arcs that we all complained about not ending, which means he can captivate us.

Actually, that has its origins in the Knuckles comic, in a back-up story written by...uh, Ken Penders.

...Huh.

• Thumbs Up 2

Actually, that has its origins in the Knuckles comic, in a back-up story written by...uh, Ken Penders.

...Huh.

Otherwise known as the only worthwhile stories of those horrible "First Date" issues...

Like I said, he wrote some good stuff on the book(s). That's why his recent antics are so tragic. :/

• Thumbs Up 1

Nobody ever stated that was a Penders general, just a general topic for his idiot comic. probably thats why theres confusion because the topic title doesn't state that.

I suppose it's slightly better than playing the "guess who ISN'T coming back?" game. That gets kind of depressing.

We do just wait around until VEDJ-F comes and tells us whos been shot into the sun by Archie/SEGA/Penders and isn't coming back don't we?

Yeah, I can see what you mean it can get kind of depressing.

Well, I've got a little more info to relay.

We might get a new map for the post-crossover reality. That'll be fun.

• Thumbs Up 5

I kinda figured that. Since Ken designed the original one.

I'm betting it'll be based on the map from Unleashed.

Well, since I'm sure that this new history is going to lack the Xorda, and the idea that Mobius (calling it that until it gets a new proper name, "Sonic's World" just sound f***ing stupid) is a post apocalyptic Earth, I'd make sense that you'd redesign the continents to look a little less "Earth-y plus continental drift".

...Did anyone confirm if the Downunda or Arctic Freedom Fighters are gone?

...Did anyone confirm if the Downunda or Arctic Freedom Fighters are gone?

No confirmation of them being gone, although there's been no confirmation of them still being there (like with the Mercian Avalon Freedom Fighters). Kind of suspect for the latter team since part of CDtC was set in Arctika, but eh. 

Well, even if they changed it so that it'd match Sonic Adventure (no Mysterious Cat Country, but instead the actual Mystic Ruins), it looks like Soumerca is still called that.

I'd expect several of the old continents & lands to have ths same names. Otherwise have the same places merged with game locations, like what might happen with the Dragon Kingdom.

The short look at Arctika, as you mentioned, didn't confirm or deny the Arctic Freedom Fighters, only that the Egg Army has control of the... continent... wait, weren't the Arctic Freedom Fighters in the North, where the Walrus Herd lived? I'm still going off the old map, because continent implies the "Arctika continent" is the Antarctica equivilant... in the South.

...Yeah, we need a new map. ASAP. Maybe with the Free Comic Book Day issue?

Well, I've got a little more info to relay.

We might get a new map for the post-crossover reality. That'll be fun.

So its not just names, entire continents are different from what they were before?

Wow wonder how this is gonna work. I know Unleashed will be the base of the new!mobius but Its obivious elements from the previous sonic games will be incorperated too, like adventure. but I do question how citys like grand metropolis and future city are going to work seeing as they look like they are set in future-like settings.

So its not just names, entire continents are different from what they were before?

Wow wonder how this is gonna work. I know Unleashed will be the base of the new!mobius but Its obivious elements from the previous sonic games will be incorperated too, like adventure. but I do question how citys like grand metropolis and future city are going to work seeing as they look like they are set in future-like settings.

Sonic Heroes takes place right after Sonic Adventure 2. So even if you were to take Riders out of canon, futuristic high tech cities still co-exist with modern present day cities.

I think looking for consistency in the games' world would be a fairly fruitless endeavour. I mean, Sonic Heroes takes places after Sonic Adventure 2, but the moon isn't half destroyed. I don't think the games could be depended on to provide a consistent world map, since things seem to change all the time...

I think looking for consistency in the games' world would be a fairly fruitless endeavour. I mean, Sonic Heroes takes places after Sonic Adventure 2, but the moon isn't half destroyed. I don't think the games could be depended on to provide a consistent world map, since things seem to change all the time...

The moon isn't half destroyed in ANY game after SA2. But according to "Word of God", we only see one side of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even in Adventure 2, there was a fully functional space colony with artificial gravity 50 years before the present. GUN also had robot soldiers then, which they apparently didn't update at all over the next half century. Technology and geography in Sonic are just weird, no way around it.

I'd love to see an updated map, anyway; I've always kind of wished the games would do something like that.

The moon isn't half destroyed in ANY game after SA2. But according to "Word of God", we only see one side of it.

I know my scientific knowledge is laughably lacking and all, but doesn't the moon rotate...?

I am interested in seeing a new map, regardless. Sonic games, in general, have never had particularly consistent geography and I do find the idea of what the Sonic world looks like, taking Unleashed-Earth as a basis and trying to fit everything else from the game canon into it. I know we do still have Soumerca (South America), so I'm wondering if it will have some Earth-like analogs for continents still?

I know my scientific knowledge is laughably lacking and all, but doesn't the moon rotate...?

The moon does rotate. But, if I remember correctly, it rotates in a way that we'll never see the other side of the moon face Earth. I think that's because when it rotates, it also changes phases. So I think that means we see the other side, but it's always when it's a new moon.

If it weren't for the fact that we see the side of the moon that's blown up from Earth in SA2, their excuse would actually make sense.

Not that something like that really matters with Sonic games.

• Thumbs Up 1

The moon does rotate. But, if I remember correctly, it rotates in a way that we'll never see the other side of the moon face Earth. I think that's because when it rotates, it also changes phases. So I think that means we see the other side, but it's always when it's a new moon.

If it weren't for the fact that we see the side of the moon that's blown up from Earth in SA2, their excuse would actually make sense.

Well if you want to get technical, blowing a hole in the moon of that size would obviously impact how it rotates. It would change the weight distribution which is a shortcut to altering its interaction with the planet itself. Its not too much of a stretch to imagine the heavier, non-blown up face of the moon, would shift its orientation so that it more or less permanently faces the gravitational source, while the lighter blown up half hits the dark side.

• Thumbs Up 2

The moon is what we call "tidally locked" with the Earth, which means that the same face is always facing the planet. It does rotate, but not in a way that we can really see from the ground, because the pace is such that the same side is always facing us. But if you were observing from, say, the sun, you would see the moon's rotation. I'm probably not explaining this very well though. 

Well if you want to get technical, blowing a hole in the moon of that size would obviously impact how it rotates. It would change the weight distribution which is a shortcut to altering its interaction with the planet itself. Its not too much of a stretch to imagine the heavier, non-blown up face of the moon, would shift its orientation so that it more or less permanently faces the gravitational source, while the lighter blown up half hits the dark side.

Of course, this is also a very good point. However, I don't think Sega's writers have actually given it that much thought. I've never found continuity to be a strong point in the games.

...to say nothing of physics. ;)

I always assumed the moon was repaired after SA2, like it was in Sonic X.

Oh, I see. I didn't know any of that. I also hadn't taken the changing phases into account, because I thought the moon's orbit was responsible for how it reflected the sun's light during those phases, so we might see different sides of the moon depending on how it's rotated. ...Maybe I'll just be quiet now.

Not in this new/meshed universe appearently, moons still blow'd up.

At least Ian is consistant where the games are not.

Ssshh. Don't let the SEGASonic fans hear that! wink.png

So did we decide to forget Iizuka said the moon was still blown up after SA2 (and we only see the good side) at Sonic Boom 2013 or.

Bleh, I think I grossly misread the last few posts. Ignore plz.

Oh, I see. I didn't know any of that. I also hadn't taken the changing phases into account, because I thought the moon's orbit was responsible for how it reflected the sun's light during those phases, so we might see different sides of the moon depending on how it's rotated. ...Maybe I'll just be quiet now.

Ssshh. Don't let the SEGASonic fans hear that! wink.png

Dude, what are fans for if not to explain away inconsistencies and continuity errors in their favourite franchises? ;)