Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I'd echo what Mando says about SU in general, since some of the arcs do standalone (and later feed into the main book) though many also take place concurrently with the main storylines (as is the case with the recent "Shadow Fall") or follow up on events in the on-going. The best standalone arcs of the old continuity (though there is a little bit of knowledge required, you can read them without) would probably be "Tails Adventure," "Treasure Team Tango," "Chaotix Quest," and the most recent post-reboot stories ("Pirate Plunder Panic" and "Shadow Fall"). Sonic Universe is pretty solid overall due to its structure, but these arcs have the lowest entry requirements for new readers, personally. I would've recommended "Shadow Saga" or "The Return" as well, but they cut into or follow up heavily from the on-going (and many of SU's storylines do), and I'm sure there's enough for you all to keep straight already!

That said, if you ever get the chance, give the old continuity a spin. It wasn't perfect (boy howdy wasn't it!) but it had some genuinely interesting ideas and characters--the downside it took for a whole other writer (Ian Flynn) to come in and clean up past writers' messes to give any of that stuff good pay off or make a lot of actually relevant/interesting.

You know, I'm unclear on the above, too. I know Shadow Fall takes place post-reboot, but what else does?

"Pirate Plunder Panic" is chronologically set after the Super Genesis Wave fallout, and while it follows up on "Treasure Team Tango," you don't necessarily need that to know what's going on (Blaze lets the reader in on what's been happening with some vague allusions throughout the story). Also, it feeds into the finale for "Countdown to Chaos" in the on-going, so win-win.

also there are a couple of solid stand alone SU arcs, but a number do tie heavily to the old contiunity, however the other two I can recomend that dont tie too heavily into anything else would be Tails Adventure for sure(its a really great one about Tails, Antoine, and Bunny, and is proably going to still be about 75% still active in the new contiuity), and its essentialy the story of Tails' Adventure in the archie-verse timeline, but there are only a few facts in it that would have a reason to be non-valid in the new universe

I am hoping the Battle Bird Armada return in the new continuity, and I hope a lot of what Flynn set up in the old can still carry over (ie. Bean and the Babylon Rogues both being defectors). I really liked where some of that was going.

I just hope that the Iron Queen and/or Conquering Storm at least have a shot of making it back. At the very least one, but man I'd like both back even if they're retooled for this new verse.

...I think I have a goddamned crush on them or something. Fuck.

• Thumbs Up 1

Conquering Storm might make it back, don't see why not. Wouldn't get my hopes up for Iron Queen.

Depends on whether Conquering Storm is seen as derivative of another writer's concept ala Diesel the Bear. She does seem to be based off Lightning Lynx more than NICOLE.

There's rumblings that the Enerjak graphic novel has been delayed to May, but I'm in the process of verifying it myself.

Edit: Looking it up, the issue publication date on Amazon was...February, and someone just now got an alert about the delay.

...huh.

Depends on whether Conquering Storm is seen as derivative of another writer's concept ala Diesel the Bear. She does seem to be based off Lightning Lynx more than NICOLE.

Yeah, she and her clan were more or less designed around Lightning Lynx, but on the other hand wasn't Lightning's ninja origin a retcon that Flynn developed? Maybe Conquering Storm could be retooled, but considering what happened with Diesel... I really don't know.

Yeah, she and her clan were more or less designed around Lightning Lynx, but on the other hand wasn't Lightning's ninja origin a retcon that Flynn developed? Maybe Conquering Storm could be retooled, but considering what happened with Diesel... I really don't know.

Eh...eh. Give me a second, this post is going to get very scattered.

-On the one hand, there's the obvious in that her design cue is very much taken from Lightning, but in addition to that, half of her character was facilitating his development, so I don't know whether that would have influence (especially since in terms of the other half of her character wanting to conquer, Mordred still exists).

-Speaking of conquering, how much more practical would her wanting to conquer Nun-Chan be when based off her character from pre-crossover? This isn't really a point so much a genuine query of mine. 

-Third is what I think might hurt her the most; Lightning being a ninja was something introduced by Ian, but he has always been linked to Espio in concept and execution. Thusly, Lightning being a ninja was just an extension of that link, and it might be seen that Conquering Storm is just an expansion on Lightning's original concept anyway. 

Like I said, this is messy.

Does Scott Fulop still work at/is still on good terms with Archie? Or was he one of the ones who gave his rights over to Penders?

Eh...eh. Give me a second, this post is going to get very scattered.

-On the one hand, there's the obvious in that her design cue is very much taken from Lightning, but in addition to that, half of her character was facilitating his development, so I don't know whether that would have influence (especially since in terms of the other half of her character wanting to conquer, Mordred still exists).

-Speaking of conquering, how much more practical would her wanting to conquer Nun-Chan be when based off her character from pre-crossover? This isn't really a point so much a genuine query of mine. 

-Third is what I think might hurt her the most; Lightning being a ninja was something introduced by Ian, but he has always been linked to Espio in concept and execution. Thusly, Lightning being a ninja was just an extension of that link, and it might be seen that Conquering Storm is just an expansion on Lightning's original concept anyway. 

Like I said, this is messy.

Cripes, that is a clusterfuck isn't it? Also, good point about Lightning's and Espio's link, I hadn't thought of that.

Does Scott Fulop still work at/is still on good terms with Archie? Or was he one of the ones who gave his rights over to Penders?

I think Fullop was one of the writers that deferred rights to the stories to Penders when he was filing for copyrights.

Given that Storm looks more distinct from either Nicole, Lightning, or Larry, I would hope she wouldn't be considered "derivative" unlike Penders' echidnas who more or less still looked exactly like Knuckles.

I believe that Ken didn't get EVERY character, given he made statements alluding to Frank Strom's work still potentially being his due to the contract screw up. So I don't think Penders could do anything with characters that Fulop (Mogul, the F.F) or Strom (Khan, Iron Dominon) created unless they either sold them to him.

I don't look at it from the angle of what Penders got, but from what Archie doesn't want to use, which is a much wider scope.

...Plus Diesel appears to have been removed for being derivative of something that was literally just said once, not even visualised. There is pretty much no limit.

Dropping by to mention somebody's posted a listing of what's in Select #9:

-All of the stories are from Ian's run, contrary to what solicits and early cover credits claimed (which hinted toward the Sonic 3 and SA2 adaptions)

-Every game adaption from Sonic Rush to Sonic Dash is included EXCEPT the Sonic Riders 2-parter. Pretty annoying considering this is the second time we've been promised it, and, if space was the issue, they could've easily swapped out the Rush adaption since we already have it in Saga #3.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why do they hate the Sonic Riders adaptation?

If they promise it one more time, I'll give them one last chance before I decide to give up and get the original issue. They say third time's a charm, right?

It is kind of a shame, since I still adore how Yardley perfectly mimicked the anime-style of the Riders opening while still utilizing his trademark facial expressions. Much rather have that than seeing the Rush one get reprinted again. Man, the penciling for that was bad...

My guess it was probably a page limit thing. Or the fact that the Riders story was in two parts, backups for #163 and #164 I believe. Putting both together would've taken up 7 pages and that was probably too much for the Select to fit it in.

My guess it was probably a page limit thing. Or the fact that the Riders story was in two parts, backups for #163 and #164 I believe. Putting both together would've taken up 7 pages and that was probably too much for the Select to fit it in.

That's what makes it so infuriating that they opted to print the Rush adaption yet again when those pages could've been used for stories that, ya know, haven't already been reprinted twice.

It's worth noting that the Archie App hasn't updated for today yet, so there's a chance I'll be able to own it soon...

Lol at the foosball table

Gah, still no Universe 62! Got Sonic Select 9 though, the Secret Rings tie in is great ^^

Don't the Archie apps update at midnight?

Midday- usually 4/5 pm UK time. Though Archie App hasn't updated the front screen as their still showing 257 even though 258 is on there. 

So that means it'll come out in a hour or two?

Then again, I use the Sonic comic app to read the comics. Anyone know when that updates?

Gah, still no Universe 62! Got Sonic Select 9 though, the Secret Rings tie in is great ^^

So I'm not the only one who had this snag!