Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Fun facts: 259 is Ian's 100th issue and worlds collide is a year old today

• Thumbs Up 9

So wait:

the super genesis wave didn't cause this awakening of Gaia but instead they just happen to jump into this new!universe at the wrong time?

Not really. I assumed it was the same deal as in Unleashed: Dark Gaia was simply woken up early, only by the Genesis Wave.

When are Sonic Universe #62, Sonic the Hedgehog #259 and Mega Man #35 suppose to be released physically? Very curious right now if it's this month or next

When are Sonic Universe #62, Sonic the Hedgehog #259 and Mega Man #35 suppose to be released physically? Very curious right now if it's this month or next

The print copies of  Mega Man #35 and SU#62 are due out next week, according to Diamond. If I had to guess, #259 shouldn't be too far behind, perhaps the week after.

I'm liking the new continuity. It has kind of a Sonic the Comic feel to it, which was also much more like the games (at first), but was also original enough to do its own thing and have its own characters and places. I miss the old continuity and I wish we could have at least seen some loose ends tied up, but so far I'm finding the new continuity enjoyable too. 

Haha kinda puts a kink in the narrative a bit tho. The temples use the Chaos energy to put the planet back together again and start the process of rebirth...except Angel Island, because...reasons >.<

Well, Angel Island floating up from the ground was through different circumstances/means than the entire planet being broken whenever Dark Gaia wakes.  It's never made all that clear why it started floating in the first place, but the temples and such on the island are different from the Gaia ones.

Basically what I'm saying is, they're separate things, so it makes sense that rebuilding the world doesn't effect Angel Island. Most likely, the whole Gaia thing had been happening long before Angel Island was even a thing...though in this continuity, if it was included in drawings Pickle saw, the planet splitting has happened at least once since the island started floating, so there's that.

Now, as for the eternal question on the fandom's mind since Unleashed came out--what happens to the island when the planet splits apart?--presumably it just floats up a bit to compensate. Or was sent flying into space to never be seen again. tongue.png

Well, Angel Island floating up from the ground was through different circumstances/means than the entire planet being broken whenever Dark Gaia wakes. It's never made all that clear why it started floating in the first place, but the temples and such on the island are different from the Gaia ones

Well its safe the assume that it is pretty much the Master Emerald's fault its floating. When its removed or broken ala Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles and in Sonic Adventure it plummets from the sky and ends up in the ocean.

But why the Master Emerald is there in the first place is kinda a mystery. There's shrines to it and what not so its been there a long time. Original Knuckles Clan fighting to try claim it etc in the past. But its creation and reason for being there would be interesting to know. Aside from being there to be away from the rest of the world and hidden.

Hey guys, look what FatPanda's inquiring got out of the comic staff (spoilered for size);

newbunniecomceptA.jpg

newbunniecomceptA1.jpg

newbunniecomceptA3.jpg

newbunniecomceptA2.jpg

newbunniecomceptB.jpg

Initial concepts for SEGA Bunnie! For context, this is what we saw in SU#49 (in silhouette; she was wearing a poncho to obscure the design), although the design was still being worked on so likely would have changed before her natural re-introduction anyway. 

Then the crossover happened, and it got a bit rejigged.

Also yes this does confirm that she got legionised. I could tell that from the very moment I saw the silhouette, but eh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shiiiittt....

That is a pretty rad design right there. Too bad the fucking Genesis Wave had to happen...tho why couldn't they incorporate it then? You'd think given what the Wave did, it would have still allowed room for them to work with it.

Well I guess that explains one of my biggest questions for the comic.  Pretty cool, but I can't see why they would have to scrap it for the reboot.  It still looks SEGA-ish.  Or did they just decide all of a sudden they preferred the design she has now?

...I kind of wish they kept the shoulder mount.

Artillery Bunnie would be pretty cool, but I guess she'd be too similar to Omega.

Well, like they said, it wasn't a final design to begin with. Likely someone else got some reigns on the design leash and did their own thing with it in time for Countdown to Chaos (probably Ben Bates). I mean, limbs and lack of gloves aside, it already looks pretty close to post-crossover Bunnie anyway, so it's not like it was completely ignored.

Ian should have her arm get blown off just so she can have the shoulder mount.

I know you're reading this thread, Ian. Somewhere, at some point in time.

...worth a shot, no?

• Thumbs Up 1

Shiiiittt....

That is a pretty rad design right there. Too bad the fucking Genesis Wave had to happen...tho why couldn't they incorporate it then? You'd think given what the Wave did, it would have still allowed room for them to work with it.

Because it wasn't finished. Ian and Tracy explicitly said that, this design wasn't a finished design. On something as big as "redesign the characters", all designs needed to be agreed upon by the editors, not just the artist. They likely went through a shitload of designs by a shitload of artists for each character.

Well, like they said, it wasn't a final design to begin with. Likely someone else got some reigns on the design leash and did their own thing with it in time for Countdown to Chaos (probably Ben Bates). I mean, limbs and lack of gloves aside, it already looks pretty close to post-crossover Bunnie anyway, so it's not like it was completely ignored.

Ben explicitly said often it was Ryan Jampole who got the design leash beyond Sally. And even then, it was, again, mostly the editors, not really the artists.

The artist for this issue - 259 - is ok but I hate her Rotor and Sally. The issue itself was kool, I just wish it didn't feel so off. And Sonic wasn't made to be so WEAK. 

That's actually a pretty cool redesign. It makes her look like she's part of the D.E.L. Granted I prefer what we got now but this is cool. I wonder what would of happened with bunnie if everything went according to plan

Ben explicitly said often it was Ryan Jampole who got the design leash beyond Sally. And even then, it was, again, mostly the editors, not really the artists.

Ah, makes sense.

....Wasn't Jampole the Mega Man artist who was basically summoned to do some Sonic for World Collide for the first time? Imagine just getting that stint and then being told "Right, now we want you to help us and our existing artists redesign these beloved comic characters to fit in line with our specifications, while retaining what made them special for 20+ years".

Because it wasn't finished. Ian and Tracy explicitly said that, this design wasn't a finished design. On something as big as "redesign the characters", all designs needed to be agreed upon by the editors, not just the artist. They likely went through a shitload of designs by a shitload of artists for each character.

Yeah...Vedj-F already told me that after I missed that part the first time, didn't need to be told again.

Though it's still a shame they couldn't keep it.

Got nothing like juicy behind the scenes that the Bunnie thing was, just a couple of little bits this time;

-Free Riders is one of the games that has already happened. So there's that.

-Ray is around Tails' age post reboot. He's not a child by way of being as old as Sonic and Mighty but being frozen in time by a crystal thing.

Got nothing like juicy behind the scenes that the Bunnie thing was, just a couple of little bits this time;

-Ray is around Tails' age post reboot. He's not a child by way of being as old as Sonic and Mighty but being frozen in time by a crystal thing.

Hmm, this should be interesting, it will be curious to see how Ian decides to protray them now, I could see them as a counter team to Sonic and tails

Oh, so the mediocre events of that mediocre game happened. Meh...

• Thumbs Up 1