Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I don't see the connection.

Since when does every main character need a love interest?

I mean, I couldn't care less whether Shadow gets a love interest or not, so I don't exactly oppose the idea. But I take issue with your reasoning. Major characters can be single, and minor characters can have love interests. Sometimes they even get really zany and pair a major character and a minor character up! Shenanigans.

A character's prominence in the cast really has nothing to do with how their romantic development, if any, should unfold in the story.

True this. There's no need for everyone to have a love interest. A story, especially a Sonic story, shouldn't be based on love plots.

Also, we all know how the Shadow fangirls will throw a riot if Archie makes yet another original character to be paired with a canon one. First Sonic, then Knuckles, then Tails and now Shadow? I can't see anything nice coming from it. It already feels like a fanfic enough as it is.

Just wondering if you'd like to see her get more screentime.^_^;;

I like Amy, but I don't care if we see her or not. Quite frankly, given her past treatment and the setting of the Archie comics, I suppose it's better if she doesn't appear much. She's way too conflicting to be incorporated without major changes in the cast focus.

I know exacly what you're trying to imply but just because I dislike Sally, it doesn't mean it's because of Amy. I have reasons that I've explained one million times already, why I dislike her, and none of them has to do with Amy.

Edited by redmenace

I know exacly what you're trying to imply but just because I dislike Sally, it doesn't mean it's because of Amy. I have reasons that I've explained one million times already, why I dislike her, and none of them has to do with Amy.

No, no, it's not like that at all.^_^;; I just figured that, since I personally like Sally and Amy equally for different reasons, it might be more productive for me to shift the conversation to someone we might be able to agree on, if that makes sense.

sth206_0.jpg

sth206_1.jpg

sth206_2.jpg

sth206_3.jpg

sth206_4.jpg

sth206_5.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #206

"On the Run Part Two": Sonic and Tails face off against the full might of the Iron Dominion! The prize: the addled Dr. Eggman! Will Sonic let his most feared nemesis fall into the hands of these new, unpredictable foes? Are they even willing to deal?!

PLUS: "Birthright Part Two": Lien-Da discovers the cruel secret of the Iron Queen's gift to her people. Her next choice will save - or doom - the Legion!

SCRIPTS: Ian Flynn

ART: Steven Butler

SIZZLING SHOWDOWN COVER BY SPAZ!

Shipping Date: October 28th, 2009

On Sale at Comic Shops: November 4th, 2009

Newsstands: November 17th, 2009

32-page, full color comic

$2.50 US

• Thumbs Up 2

I like how Robotnik is taking a little doze after completing his "mission", albeit at the wrong time. Such impeccable timing. He probably got so worked up over the thought of getting Sonic in his cell that he probably didn't even get any sleep until he finally accomplished his little venture.

Wow, this preview is a bit early. I was expecting it to be around next week or after.

Technically you have.^_^;; It's originally from the cover of Sonic Universe #1. Slightly different, but still very close.

sonicspazpose.png

Edit: I'm rather amused that Sally's title refers to her as a "tomboy."^^

Edited by BlazeyBakeneko

Technically you have.^_^;; It's originally from the cover of Sonic Universe #1. Slightly different, but still very close.

sonicspazpose.png

Edit: I'm rather amused that Sally's title refers to her as a "tomboy."^^

She's been titled as a tomboy princess in those character cards for quite awhile.

She's been titled as a tomboy princess in those character cards for quite awhile.

Guess my attention span's shorter than I thought.^_^;;

But yeah, I'm curious as to what Eggman's fate will be, and what Sonic will be doing this issue other than fighting Foot Soldiers the Yagyu.

Hey did they recycle Spaz's work again? I swear I've seen the exact same pose before.

He's been reusing that pose for a while now:

awspaz.jpg

Frankly, I've been disappointed by a lot of Spaz's recent work, it's been less than impressive.

Even though the cover art itself by Spaz has been hit and miss, I really like the coloring job he's done.

I still like the random bit of drool coming from Sonic's mouth(DERP!).XD

I still like the random bit of drool coming from Sonic's mouth(DERP!).XD

Go figure, I find it gross. Dunno why, but I wasn't found of Anti-Amy drooling either.

Go figure, I find it gross. Dunno why, but I wasn't found of Anti-Amy drooling either.

Yeah, it was pretty strange how she looked a rabid dog...I know they were going for crazy, but that seemed to be overdoing it somewhat.^_^;;

I was gonna comment on that earlier, actually. The random bit of saliva flying from Sonic's mouth kinda grosses me out too. I guess it's supposed to make him/the pic look more hardcore and gritty, but it just kinda makes me squirm. I'm not big on flying bodily fluids, eugh.

I was gonna comment on that earlier, actually. The random bit of saliva flying from Sonic's mouth kinda grosses me out too. I guess it's supposed to make him/the pic look more hardcore and gritty, but it just kinda makes me squirm. I'm not big on flying bodily fluids, eugh.

Considering that Sonic is dodging shuriken on the cover, maybe the twist is that Muttski is masquerading as Sonic via ninja illusion. He needs to drool because he has no sweat glands.XD

Am I the only one who thinks someone other than Spaz should try doing the cover once in a while? It seems like they have a lot of artists and yet this one guy is the only one doing the covers. I saw Tracy do a few and I thought they were really good. Can't some of the other artists do a cover? So many people have drawn on this comic after all.

Am I the only one who thinks someone other than Spaz should try doing the cover once in a while? It seems like they have a lot of artists and yet this one guy is the only one doing the covers. I saw Tracy do a few and I thought they were really good. Can't some of the other artists do a cover? So many people have drawn on this comic after all.

sth209.500.jpg

TA-DAAAAAA!

ugh... :rolleyes:

Again nothing wrong with being a tomboy, I just think the need to emphasize that as just dumb. As if it should be this BIG THING if a girl acts acts like a boy that it's worth putting on the character description. It's not even that much of a novel idea among contemporary princesses. Princess Fiona, Xena Warrior Princess, Belle, Jasmine, Ariel... Come on... All for woman's rights but damn, learn to be subtle. It's not like we had to put TOKEN INTELLIGENT BLACK GUY for Nate Morgan when he was in the comic. And even if he were still alive and they were doing those labels, that'd be retarded to put down for him.

P.S: Does Sonic liking a girl whose characterization and physique mimic a boys as much as possible make him gay? Not saying anything's wrong with being gay either. But if you like your girls as boyish as possible, makes you wonder what's pent up inside of him :lol:

Edited by Miko

That's... beyond ridiculous. Liking tomboyish girls does not in any way make a guy gay. Many guys love tomboyish girls just as a lot of girls like 'pretty' boys, without any bearing on their sexuality. Perhaps the attraction is in having someone with similar interests or perhaps it's just a type of personality he liked... but Sally isn't masculine. She's still very much a female. Just a tomboyish one.

And for the record, I do ship Sonic in male/male pairings, but to even jokingly suggest that liking tomboyish girls is an indication of homosexuality... well, it's kind of an insult, really. Girls don't lose any of their actual gender by being tomboyish or androgynous, and Sally is certainly woman enough to be attractive as a female rather than as a male.

Edit: Also, I love her being characterised as 'tomboy princess'. It's something that's quite central to her character as a descriptive term. Pretty much all the characters get cliched and predictable labels - so why should hers be any different?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

To expand on what Flyboy said...Homosexuality is based on what physical sex one is attracted to. It has nothing to do with how the people one is attracted to act.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

That's... beyond ridiculous. Liking tomboyish girls does not in any way make a guy gay.

I also mentioned she looks like a guy too.

Many guys love tomboyish girls just as a lot of girls like 'pretty' boys, without any bearing on their sexuality.

A pretty boy can be quite masculine. And pretty boys while more "groomed" in their appearance don't typically look like they'd actually get away with being a girl. And while guys can love tomboys, even tomboys tend to have a feminine or tsundere side to them and still have a great deal about who they are that's feminine not mentioned. That and, this generation is really just beginning to consider their gender might be different from their sex. So many people can just stick with traditional notions of what their gender is, and repress their feelings of being a boy or a girl because it doesn't suit what formal society ran by older generations say is the way to identify gender.

Perhaps the attraction is in having someone with similar interests or perhaps it's just a type of personality he liked... but Sally isn't masculine.

Oh now don't start that, you've actually gone as far as to say she's boyish.

She's still very much a female. Just a tomboyish one.

And we've gone through what tomboy means. I'm not disputing the fact that Sally's physically female. I'm talking about personality and so fourth. And on the subject, many men and women are questioning their 'gender' in spite of their sex. A tomboy who still feels like a girl still in most cases also has a good deal of feminine qualities as well. And I happen to know plenty of people who don't see themselves as their sex.

And for the record, I do ship Sonic in male/male pairings, but to even jokingly suggest that liking tomboyish girls is an indication of homosexuality... well, it's kind of an insult, really.

Yeah, but to me that's only if you see homosexuality as a very bad thing.

Girls don't lose any of their actual gender by being tomboyish or androgynous,

1. You've said she looks like a BOY

2. You've said she's boyish. Gender is about what's inside. And what's inside is a heavy emphasis on how boyish Sally is. And more often than not, Sally identifies herself AS someone boyish, while being incredibly alienated from things like women's issues like I've said before. I'm starting to wonder if she's a guy in a girl's body and Sonic is just in the closet for someone he's not ready to formally acknowledge as a guy.

Edit: Also, I love her being characterised as 'tomboy princess'. It's something that's quite central to her character as a descriptive term.

Frankly I can't stand it. Why is it SUCH a big deal that such a thing need to be conveyed. Is it honest to God THAT much more wonderful than not being boyish? THAT much more cool? THAT much more important that it should paraded in the street? And if so, what the hell does that say about characters who DON'T act that way? Something like "Sonic's REAL best friend (sorry Tails)" or "Leader of the FFs" is more telling about her relationship to the main character. If Ian wants her to be a tomboy, he should be capable of conveying that through actual WRITING at this point. This is waay too expository

Pretty much all the characters get cliched and predictable labels - so why should hers be any different?

Again if I put a label on Nate Morgan that said " Smart Black Man that's never gone to prison with Bubba" would you not find how incredibly retarded that is? Even if done without intent to harm? In such a circumstance It's not an intentionally dumb idea to be that expository, but it's still a dumb idea.

Edited by Miko

Just to clarify: Mental gender and physical sex are too very different things. You are right on this, at least. Whether or not Sally is a man or a woman mentally is debatable, especially since what a "man" or a "woman" are is extremely confusing given the stereotypes enforced by society, but Sally's physical sex is still obvious. Therefore, if Sonic is attracted to her body, he cannot be gay, or at least he cannot be exclusively gay.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I think what's incredibly offensive is the fact that Sally's brief introduction on the front page to the readers is simply "tomboy princess" as you said Miko. The description "Tomboy princess" does relatively nothing for newer readers just getting into the book (the people who would actually NEED a refresher of whose who). "Tomboy princess" only gives us a clue of a personality trait. That doesn't tell us what's her connection to Sonic (i.e leader of the freedom fighter, princess of the city, Sonic's love interest, etc.) that makes her actually relavent to the story, something newer readers need to KNOW upon reading, whereas a personality trait is more minor detail and should be SHOWN to the viewer in-story, not told (remember creative writing class in high school Ian? Number 1 rule).

You don't see Amy described simply as a "girly girl". It almost implies that Sally's tomboyishness is to be recognized, while girlishness is not, which is really offensive to the girls who really are girly. I'm really tired of Archie's psuedo feminist bullshit activism. For the past 15+ years all they've done is pretty much smush in our face how wonderful tomboyish women are girl power. We get the point Archie. Now please shut the hell up about it. This comic hasn't left the 1990's on this women's subject , because they always portray tomboy females as if you'd think its as if this comic is so undersaturated with tomboys that this is a revolution! (which is cleeeeeearly not true)

Edited by Viuely

I don't think it's necessarily that Archie is pushing an agenda when it comes to the character description. It's probably more like they are lazy. Sometimes it's better to assume error than malice.^_~

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I think what's incredibly offensive is the fact that Sally's brief introduction on the front page to the readers is simply "tomboy princess" as you said Miko. The description "Tomboy princess" does relatively nothing for newer readers just getting into the book (the people who would actually NEED a refresher of whose who). "Tomboy princess" only gives us a clue of a personality trait. That doesn't tell us what's her connection to Sonic (i.e leader of the freedom fighter, princess of the city, Sonic's love interest, etc.) that makes her actually relavent to the story, something newer readers need to KNOW upon reading, whereas a personality trait is more minor detail and should be SHOWN to the viewer in-story, not told (remember creative writing class in high school Ian? Number 1 rule).

You don't see Amy described simply as a "girly girl". It almost implies that Sally's tomboyishness is to be recognized, while girlishness is not, which is really offensive to the girls who really are girly. I'm really tired of Archie's psuedo feminist bullshit activism. For the past 15+ years all they've done is pretty much smush in our face how wonderful tomboyish women are girl power. We get the point Archie. Now please shut the hell up about it. This comic hasn't left the 1990's on this women's subject , because they always portray tomboy females as if you'd think its as if this comic is so undersaturated with tomboys that this is a revolution! (which is cleeeeeearly not true)

Although I think you're right, I also think you're blowing up a storm for just a breeze. Sure tomboy princess is annoying, when really, tomboy and princess say nothing about Sonic and it's just cliché as they come, but I wonder if Archie really detests girly girly. They might. Most characters they came up with are tomboys.

Still, it's Archie. We know since the beginning Sally has special treatment.

Edited by redmenace