Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Or maybe you guys are completely jumping the gun over the dynamic being throw away when this is Chip's second issue he's in and he still has yet to meet Sonic?

Give it time before we start assuming things are getting thrown out. We have who knows how many issues in this arc, and they could meet up and start the dynamic at a later date.

Geez.

While I'm not as big over Unleashed's details as some people here, I can understand why they'd be concerned with this change even if the Sonic and Chip dynamic comes into play later. Sonic naming Chip was an icebreaker between the two, and really the moment that defined when Sonic became dedicated to befriending Chip. Even if they interact later down the line, it's not going to be as close (at least, not naturally).

Randomely? He came up with it because they where eating the chocolate chip sundaes. How's that random?

Here Chip's naming was a result of a random flashback he was having about chocolate chips. What?

While I'm not as big over Unleashed's details as some people here, I can understand why they'd be concerned with this change even if the Sonic and Chip dynamic comes into play later. Sonic naming Chip was an icebreaker between the two, and really the moment that defined when Sonic became dedicated to befriending Chip. Even if they interact later down the line, it's not going to be as close (at least, not naturally).

Yeah, I get that.

But having someone else name the character doesn't somehow lead to "OMG their throwing away the dynamic from the games!" That's a massive overreaction to something we have little to no information on how it would actually turn out in the future.

I mean, for crying out loud, Sonic has yet to turn into the werehog. And we've known from the very start since the aftermath of the Worlds Collide Crossover that this wasn't going to be a 1:1 adaptation of Unleashed, given all the differences we've already had in it so far. So we're pretty early into the Unleashed arc here for people to start crying foul over it.

• Thumbs Up 7

Jumping the gun as CSS said, I bet Chip and Sonic will meet up eventually and the Chaotix were merely the first ones to find hmi.

tumblr_n7a9dxNVXr1s9pusko1_500.png

Knuckles is already taking vital establishing moments of Sonic's bond with Chip. If Sonic suddenly 'shoulders' his way in and takes prominence regarding this then I expect Knux's fans to feel like Knux is getting the short end of the stick and it undermines this moment. Hence why I think that the dynamic between Sonic and Chip is already likely to have been unjustfiably screwed-with.

• Thumbs Up 1

The off-panel might confirm my back-up theory over Knuckles Chaotix; if it did happen, it was vastly different to what was depicted in the games to the point that it'd be almost completely different.

Knuckles is already taking vital establishing moments of Sonic's bond with Chip. If Sonic suddenly 'shoulders' his way in and takes prominence regarding this then I expect Knux's fans to feel like Knux is getting the short end of the stick and it undermines this moment. Hence why I think that the dynamic between Sonic and Chip is already likely to have been unjustfiably screwed-with.

Why is it impossible for Chip to have a dynamic with more then one character?

At this point I'm having to even rationalize to myself we'll actually even bother to see the Unleashed locations. Sigh.

Taking away? Why does Sonic have to be the only one who bonds with Chip? We have a large cast of characters adding to Unleashed's plot, so it only makes sense that Chip becomes buddies with people other than Sonic (and Tails?). And it's not like Chip will be staying here, right? Knuckles is going to be busy fighting the Dark Gaia Titan in the next issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll just try to wait until Chip meets Sonic and see how their relationship will go.

I'm just a little off-put by how they chose to introduce him and who has to meet him first is all.

Remember the Sonic X adaptation of the Adventure games? Remember how events were changed and characters who didn't exist within the world had an impact on the proceedings, despite the fact that Sonic X being a new universe would ensure that would've happened anyway? Remember how people didn't give a fuck and were pissed anyway?

Yeah.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, I don't mind that "Chip" gets his nickname from Charmy here instead of Sonic. I mean, if it helps to get other characters involved in the overall plot than besides Sonic, then I'm all for it.

Also, I'm surprised that they got away with that clear reference to Knuckles' Chaotix and Team Chaotix's initial roles there, even with it being in an Off Panel skit. I thought it'd be completely off-limits.

Taking away? Why does Sonic have to be the only one who bonds with Chip? We have a large cast of characters adding to Unleashed's plot, so it only makes sense that Chip becomes buddies with people other than Sonic (and Tails?). And it's not like Chip will be staying here, right? Knuckles is going to be busy fighting the Dark Gaia Titan in the next issue.

Because there's other ways for other characters to bond with Chip than shamelessly leeching what Sonic did.

This is not just "other characters bonding not just Sonic", this is "other characters bonding INSTEAD of Sonic". This is two major bonding moments- Sonic naming Chip and Sonic protecting Chip- taken for other characters. More characters bonding could've been done without the need to steal Sonic's moments.

Nepenthe brought up Sonic X. Remember How Amy's good moments with Shadow were gone?

• Thumbs Up 6

Because there's other ways for other characters to bond with Chip than shamelessly leeching what Sonic did.

Well, what else would they call him without "cribbing into Sonic's role"? Frankly, I'm glad that they got the nickname thing out of the way instead of just leaving him nameless for some unspecified period of time.

And who's to say there aren't

stronger ways for Sonic and Chip to bond? Really guys?

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh sure, that's entirely why they're removing what was already good in the story, to put imaginary better stuff in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtc1rPiB28I

• Thumbs Up 1

Having just come off from replaying Unleashed, I can't help but feel you guys are overselling this "bond" between Sonic and Chip. It's just as shallow as any other relationship that has taken place in the game.

Aside from that, in Sonic Unleashed, Cubot isn't around, so that's him taking focus away from Cubot-- I mean, SA-55.

Sonic wasn't flying around in a huge battleship! That takes away the dynamic of Tails flying the Tornado!

What is Sonic doing talking to fish people?! Why isn't he a werehog yet?! Why is Chaos on his way to help him?!

A cyborg water buffalo guarding one of the Gaia temples?! MADNESS~!

None of this was in the game, tragedy! 

• Thumbs Up 8

Having just come off from replaying Unleashed, I can't help but feel you guys are overselling this "bond" between Sonic and Chip. It's just as shallow as any other relationship that has taken place in the game.

Aside from that, in Sonic Unleashed, Cubot isn't around, so that's him taking focus away from Cubot-- I mean, SA-55.

Sonic wasn't flying around in a huge battleship! That takes away the dynamic of Tails flying the Tornado!

What is Sonic doing talking to fish people?! Why isn't he a werehog yet?! Why is Chaos on his way to help him?!

No one who likes the material is overselling it; it's a major point of the Unleashed saga in terms of narrative, gameplay, specifically the hub worlds, the manga, and the shorts. If anything else, it was a friendship that was totally apparent enough to have some fans bitching that Chip had somehow stolen Tails' place.

Also, boiling down every single change as having equivalent impact on the narrative as an adaptation is extremely disingenuous arguing and you know it.

• Thumbs Up 7

Why are we being so defensive about this, exactly? I can't say I'm bothered by this myself, but...

this is just obnoxious. :/

I don't really have any doubt that Sonic and Chip will meet soon, plus even though I'm not as big a fan of Knuckles as some are, it's kind of nice to see this side of him. And the naming thing is completely inoffensive to me.

All that being said, is no-one allowed to criticize anything ever now? Good lord.

• Thumbs Up 5

sonicunleashedarchie.jpg

Even ignoring that I DO think the Sky Patrol is taking away the good dynamics of Sonic, Tails, Tornado, exploring, it's one thing to add information to what wasn't there- a local guardian of a Chaos Temple, Cubot appearing sooner provided he doesn't change events; it's another to specifically alter the events established, especially emotional beats, especially on a character so often accused of having short to none.

• Thumbs Up 5

Also, I like how the people complaining about people being critical are saying they're "jumping to conclusions". No-one is overreacting here, they're merely stating their thoughts based on what we know so far (just like everyone else, whoa!) and not at all attacking or provoking the people who disagree well, mostly. I'm pretty sure it's the ultra-defensive fans here that are jumping to conclusions by assuming everything is going to be perfect and anyone who's even mildly upset about one or two details is wrong.

• Thumbs Up 5

My two cents?

Oh sure, that's entirely why they're removing what was already good in the story, to put imaginary better stuff in.

If Sonic and Chip's relationship is all that was "good" with Unleashed's story then it's no wonder most people outside of the Sonic fandom couldn't stomach it.

How about we see if Archie are able to improve it and make it 

genuinely compelling and interesting and touching? Archie's made relationships compelling millions of times before when no one expected it, why is everyone immediately disappointed in this arc just because they're doing one of the Sonic franchise's generally less-loved friendships differently?

I'll say it again, if Sonic and Chip's friendship is really so thin that the way Chip was named by him is a dealbreaker, it's time to consider the possibility that Unleashed's story isn't so amazing that it can't be severely improved upon. I've played games and read books and read comics where characters relationships have so many backbones and meanings and like why should Sonic fans have to put up with mediocre storytelling just because it's "the way the games did it"? There's a very possible chance it'll end up way better than Unleashed did it and it'll prove that there are ways to make Sonic and Chip's relationship even more meaningful without resorting to cheap one-time forced emotional things.

I personally didn't buy Sonic and Chip's "friendship" in Unleashed at all, it was the status quo to me, but even I know that what SEGA were trying to achieve was something that went deeper than a name, and I have more faith in Archie than I do in SEGA to actually pull that off.

• Thumbs Up 6

God the amount of whining in here is incredible.

So what if Knuckles bonds with Chip? Is no one else but Sonic allowed to? This isn't a straight adaptation of Unleashed, people. You want Sonic and Chip, go play the game.

Meanwhile I'll be enjoying the comic with everyone else.

No one has said that no one else is allowed to bond with Chip. People are expressing disinterest and disapproval at a major emotional story beat being changed, just as people did years ago when Sonic X did a poor job adapting the Adventure series by inserting Chris into events where he didn't belong.

You can enjoy the comic all you want, but don't dismiss people's criticisms as whining. If nothing else, most of the actual whining has been coming from people who've developed such a personal problem with criticism that they complain when people do it (like you are now), put words in their mouth ("Why is only Sonic allowed to bond with Chip?!"), and move the goal posts for entry into and comfort within the discussion (Positive opinions can be stated without issue, but a negative opinion must have more underlying support to be valid or else you're "jumping to conclusions").

I wish Sonic fans would stop this shit.

• Thumbs Up 2