Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

For the record, I couldn't give a rats ass over Chips intro being different from Unleashed.

It's the coining of his name that bothers me.

Change of topic! 

It's interesting to see Eclipse's tree thing, which I assume has something to do with his Dark Arms. I kinda have to wonder if this is going to be his last stand, of if he'll continue to be a reoccurring nemesis for Shadow and Team Dark.

Either way, its happened and theirs not a damn thing we can do about it so arguing is futile. all we can do is what biznizz said wait this out and see where it goes. either Ian has a master plan or hes dun' fucked up big were not gonna know for months though.

I'm still waiting on my issue it should be here in another day or so.

Change of topic! 

It's interesting to see Eclipse's tree thing, which I assume has something to do with his Dark Arms. I kinda have to wonder if this is going to be his last stand, of if he'll continue to be a reoccurring nemesis for Shadow and Team Dark.

I would like him to be a reoccurring villain for the moment. At least till the new universe starts getting more villains that we have now.

Though, it would be kinda interesting if Knux actually ended up siding with Eclipse in the end, understanding being last of your kind and trying to reform him, that would be ironic

Mind you he still hates GUN and Shadow, but he's not nessecarily pure evil

Mind you he still hates GUN and Shadow, but he's not nessecarily pure evil

His race feeds on the genocide of those around them.

He could have the purest of intentions, but at the end of the day he's still going right up to the top of the bad guy charts. No matter what, you've got to treat him like a monster. I would find it hard for even Knuckles to sympathize, considering there is no middle ground here. There is no consensus agreement to where you could co-exist.

Black Arms need to feed and the Mobians are food. How do you reform that? There is no vegetarian option here.

Yeah I can imagine Knuckles sympathizing for like a panel or something, but considering Shadow the Hedgehog is canon, Knuckles WAS part of the efforts against the invasion so he fought the Black Arms first hand.

His race feeds on the genocide of those around them.

He could have the purest of intentions, but at the end of the day he's still going right up to the top of the bad guy charts. No matter what, you've got to treat him like a monster. I would find it hard for even Knuckles to sympathize, considering there is no middle ground here. There is no consensus agreement to where you could co-exist.

Black Arms need to feed and the Mobians are food. How do you reform that? There is no vegetarian option here.

While that's true, looking at it from a different side, they're basically just civilized predators. They're carnivores, they need to eat to live. They're like sharks with space shuttles.

There's probably a scientific solution, some cloning that could be done, but that depends on what their homeworld is like. Maybe they outlived their resources.

Granted, no other planet is going to stand down and they will treat the Black Arms (and should) as villains. But it's all about survival.

Black Arms has to eat to survive, and other planets as to fight them off to survive. In that way, there's really no wrong one. All comes down to survival.

Of course, that's Death and Eclipse's take. Black Doom just showed them as evil because evil.

Anyway, I still wish it wasn't Eclipse that would become the reoccurring Black Arms element, he doesn't even look like them -- nor Shadow. I mean, he looks like them more than any other Mobian, but he still looks like a Mobian. Rather it have been Death.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, at least we know what'll lead to Knuckles and Shadow duking it out. Eclipse presence is what draws Shadow to Angel Island, Shadow gets there, Knuckles sees him trespassing.

Kinda eager to see this through.

Just feel the need to point out that people are getting mad over chip not being adapted faithfully. Yeah, chip.

Just feel the need to point out that people are getting mad over chip not being adapted faithfully. Yeah, chip.

Yes. Because god forbid that there are actual fans of this character and that they should have the desire to see the one bond he had with the main character to be even decently translated to page without the establishing parts of it being hijacked by another character.

I liked Chip. As did a number of other fans. And I really liked his relationship with Sonic including the manner in which it was established. I have absolutely no obligation to like how he's been 'adapted' here and every right to voice issue with it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Why should we care?

Was this even necessary? If you don't care, that's one thing, but next time you should keep those thoughts to yourself as that wasn't a nice thing to say. You need to be respectful towards your fellow members, whether you agree with what they said, like what they said, or not on both accounts as opposed to blowing off their thoughts as if they don't matter.

Good lord what a wall of text.

Yes it was, and you don't have to read it if you don't want to. At least he was trying to put it in spoilers tags for consideration's sake, even though they weren't implemented correctly. Anyway, the spoiler tags have been fixed so let's move on, please.
  • Thumbs Up 6

Yes. Because god forbid that there are actual fans of this character and that they should have the desire to see the one bond he had with the main character to be even decently translated to page without the establishing parts of it being hijacked by another character.

I liked Chip. As did a number of other fans. And I really liked his relationship with Sonic including the manner in which it was established. I have absolutely no obligation to like how he's been 'adapted' here and every right to voice issue with it.

My views on chip notwithstanding, I don't think the comic is under an obligation to preserve that relationship from Unleashed.  I've got a few reasons:  Unleashed the game already exists exactly as it is, Unleashed had two characters with any authority, Chip and Sonic (and even that is pretty tenuous), this would leave the comic's ensemble cast with nothing to do (And the plot would struggle to fill a single issue), and Sonic not being turned into the Werehog removes the practical link between the two leaving him with more in common with basically anyone else and can do so without being forced by coincidence.  

Now with my views withstanding: Why is Chip even in this adaptation, he was a plot device with a head that was irrelevant to the plot at large apart from making a pedestal extend and wound up completely ineffectual at what was ostensibly his job.  Writing him and the cycle of destruction (?) out of the plot would have made for a tighter plot that also doesn't introduce so much of what can only be described as dogmatism and scripture to the mythos.  

• Thumbs Up 5

I think I stopped taking the guy seriously when he crapped on Gallagher so hard. And by apparently thinking that Worlds Collide (which I thought was really great, but different strokes) was pencilled entirely by Yardley...

I still don't really get why PPP getz so much flak (aside from having recycled elements from TTT). ShadowFall, I CAN see why people disliked it even if I thought it was fine, tho.

And Archie has no obligation, unless Sega says otherwise, to follow the plot of Unleashed to the letter. There's more than just Sonic and Tails at play here, and if you paid attention you would have realized there was no way for the two to meet at the moment. Knuckles meanwhile is off locating the Chaos Emeralds with the help of the Chaotix, and is in a position to run into Chip. Does it mean it won't happen? Of course not, because it's still too early to judge

You all want a perfect adaptation, do it yourselves or commission one. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The point is that you don't make an adaptation of Sonic Adventure without all the character development and interactions that happened in it, unless you want to make a very crappy adaptation.. which Archie did do, but that was pre-reboot so that kind of thing was thought to have been stopped due to taking more care of how they adapt things.

It's too soon to say if Sonic and Chip get the proper development together the story calls for, but there's not much hope. We haven't even seen any areas that are actually from Unleashed minus Spagonia I think, right?

• Thumbs Up 1

My views on chip notwithstanding, I don't think the comic is under an obligation to preserve that relationship from Unleashed.

And I'm under no obligation to like how it changes it.

I've got a few reasons:  Unleashed the game already exists exactly as it is, Unleashed had two characters with any authority, Chip and Sonic (and even that is pretty tenuous), this would leave the comic's ensemble cast with nothing to do (And the plot would struggle to fill a single issue), and Sonic not being turned into the Werehog removes the practical link between the two leaving him with more in common with basically anyone else and can do so without being forced by coincidence.  

Now with my views withstanding: Why is Chip even in this adaptation, he was a plot device with a head that was irrelevant to the plot at large apart from making a pedestal extend and wound up completely ineffectual at what was ostensibly his job.  Writing him and the cycle of destruction (?) out of the plot would have made for a tighter plot that also doesn't introduce so much of what can only be described as dogmatism and scripture to the mythos.

Because it's an adaptation of Sonic Unleashed. Without Chip, it would have no right touting itself as such because whether you like it or not, Chip's role was still highly imperative to the narrative's themes and still had a big part in the plot's developments. He was one of the main characters next to Sonic himself and Eggman and is due prominence because of that.

And Archie has no obligation, unless Sega says otherwise, to follow the plot of Unleashed to the letter. There's more than just Sonic and Tails at play here, and if you paid attention you would have realized there was no way for the two to meet at the moment. Knuckles meanwhile is off locating the Chaos Emeralds with the help of the Chaotix, and is in a position to run into Chip. Does it mean it won't happen? Of course not, because it's still too early to judge

No one is asking Archie to follow the plot of Unleashed to the letter. All I'm expecting is vital parts of character relationships which are at the heart of the narrative and important to the involved characters to actually be abided-by instead of being hijacked a 'la Sonic X's SA2 adaptation.

You all want a perfect adaptation, do it yourselves or commission one.

This is nothing less than an attempt to brush-off valid criticism.

• Thumbs Up 3

Maybe because it holds valid points, and saying things like that really doesn't help the topic move on nor calm down anyone?

Just saying that causes more uproar, so unless there's anything constructive to the debate, you're not really contributing a thing to discussion besides projecting venom.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sorry, it's just this discussion has been going on for pages and pages now and every time we try to move past it someone dregs it back up and the merry wheel goes round and round. It's just become an echo chamber of nonsense and vitriol.

Both sides have a point, but I'm honestly learning more towards the side that says it doesn't have to be a complete adaptation to be considered Unleashed honestly. At this point we're just going back and forth about likes and dislikes :\

• Thumbs Up 1

I understand why people are annoyed with the sonic not naming chip but at the sametime it's not really that important. Yes sonic and chips friendship is important in unleashed but the way you guys are making it sound is as if sonic giving chip his name to start their friendship is as if its as important as Bruce Wayne's parents need to die in order for him to become batman.