Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I understand why people are annoyed with the sonic not naming chip but at the sametime it's not really that important. Yes sonic and chips friendship is important in unleashed but the way you guys are making it sound is as if sonic giving chip his name to start their friendship is as if its as important as Bruce Wayne's parents need to die in order for him to become batman.

Well, the way I see it, while I wouldn't put it in that level of importance, I still think Sonic being Chip's first contact was at least somewhat important to Sonic Unleashed's plot.

Knuckles here doesn't really have Sonic's initial motive for helping Chip and, therefore, the starting point for his character development: seeing Chip as a bystanding victim of his bigtime screwup with stopping Eggman, it can be said that helping the little dog-fairy get back his memory was a first step of sorts for his overall atonement. Related, Sonic giving Chip his nickname was also something important to their development: the pet name helped to establish a connection between them that is (for now?) kinda lost now with Charmy giving Chip his nickname instead. 

Also, the nickname giving with Chip's vague, yet surprisingly convenient memories kinda comes across as a bit more contrived here versus the original game: at least Sonic had the Chocolate Chip Sundae Supreme and Chip's apparent love for it to bounce off of.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here a bit:

Sonic Unleashed is about the restoration of the planet through the use of temples and the Chaos Emeralds, that is the main plot that drives the game and Chip is the enabler to do this. So while Sonic & Chip's relationship is a major part of the game, it's not the only part that's relevant to it as well. I agree that his bond with Sonic might not be as strong later down the road, but I think we all need to realize that this involves more than just Sonic this time. In Unleashed, it's pretty much just Sonic, Chip, and Eggman while the supporting cast are more or less just apart of the background, the comics can't have this luxury, especially since it has a far larger cast of characters to deal with, pushing them all back to focus on the "essential" characters for the sake of an adaptation just isn't good writing period. 

So yes, I understand why people would be concerned about how good this Unleashed adaptation might be, but on the flipside, you have to accept that major things are going to be changed whether you like it or not, and that the absence of said things doesn't mean that it is suddenly a "shitty" adaptation. Unleashed already exists, it is established, Archie changing around a few things doesn't suddenly invalidate whatever already happened in Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 5

Oh for the love of christ

- You can add more cast to the story without needing to steal Sonic's character moments

- A good adaptation adds to what's there instead of butchering it

- If they're just gonna do whatever they want why make it Unleashed at all

This is the third time I have to post this. There's literally no rebuttal that can made without going into opinionated deadlocked debate. Can we move on.

I'm just sick and tired of my contention with aspects of this adaptation being interpreted as/turned into something that it isn't.

- You can add more cast to the story without needing to steal Sonic's character moments

This is the third time I have to post this. There's literally no rebuttal that can made without going into opinionated deadlocked debate. Can we move on.

You realize you're only adding to the discussion by posting things like this right? If you wanna move on, just don't post, period :\

I'm just sick and tired of my contention with aspects of this adaptation being interpreted as/turned into something that it isn't.

I understand this, but I think this kind of goes both ways and that the pro-Unleashed people aren't really listening to the other side either because of their heightened emotions.

• Thumbs Up 1

You realize you're only adding to the discussion by posting things like this right? If you wanna move on, just don't post, period :\

But then how would he be able to present himself as the voice of reason whilst also making sure his opinion is the last word on the subject?  Be sensible.

If a debate no longer bears fruit for you, I think the proper course of action would be to excuse yourself from it (the same way I, knowing discussion won't go anywhere, leave the room when a sensitive topic comes up with my family). As you said, you raised your points three times and not everyone is accepting them; by no means do they have to.

If other members are content to carry on the discussion, let them. Please don't ask others to "move on." They'll do that on their own time when they are no longer interested in the topic (which tends to happen naturally).

• Thumbs Up 4

But then how would he be able to present himself as the voice of reason whilst also making sure his opinion is the last word on the subject?  Be sensible.

But as he said, he made his point three times already. Why does he need to make it a fourth? If he's not interested in the current discussion, then the logical thing is to simply ignore it and talk about something else. 

But as he said, he made his point three times already. Why does he need to make it a fourth? If he's not interested in the current discussion, then the logical thing is to simply ignore it and talk about something else.

Let's not add fuel to the fire, guys. The issue has been taken care of. Let's get back to discussing the comic books and everything related to them.

Sadly I'm unable to chime in much on it myself given I'm usually months behind on my books at any given time, but yes. The issue is resolved.

I admittedly chuckled a bit at Charmy's "Unlike Sonic he don't chuckle" and Knuckles just tries to ignore him.

It's at least more well-timed than the 'tougher than leather" line from WC.

Eh, not sure how to feel on how the Werehog is apparently going to be handled right now, but let's please not make this another big deal and hopefully it'll play out to where he'll regain his regular self in Werehog form. 

I do admit, I always wondered how the Werehog would play out had it actually affected Sonic's state of mind like it did for everyone else, so color me interested. From the solicits though, he seems like he's gone completely feral.

By the sounds of that solicit, the Werehog is gonna be handled a lot better here. I personally hated how in Unleashed he was basically just Sonic but fuzzy and growly. But here, it sounds like he's gonna be handled like an actual werewolf for once.

• Thumbs Up 3

I do admit, I always wondered how the Werehog would play out had it actually affected Sonic's state of mind like it did for everyone else, so color me interested. From the solicits though, he seems like he's gone completely feral.

Right? I didnt really appreciate how he was completley 100% cool in Werehog form. I want it having SOME effect on him, it's something I feel would be an improvement from the source material

• Thumbs Up 5

By the sounds of that solicit, the Werehog is gonna be handled a lot better here. I personally hated how in Unleashed he was basically just Sonic but fuzzy and growly. But here, it sounds like he's gonna be handled like an actual werewolf for once.

Hell yes.

The whole idea behind a corrupted form of yourself is you want to get rid of it because of how it makes you violent towards those you care about. You struggle to control whatever your new form is, the awesome powers that come with it be damned.

Sure, you can eventually tame your other form (like Jak did in Jak and Daxter once he had been exposed to Light Eco) and use it to your advantage, but at the start? No. Everyone around you is at risk of being a chewtoy.

You know what, I could get more behind this as this could lead him to be separated from the FF's and come across Chip. And since Chip is Light Gaia, he could potentially (and unknowingly) counteract Dark Gaia's influence and help Sonic regain his sanity.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm still not over those side bars on the covers. Not only are they redundant, they end up taking up good cover real estate.

I was surprised by the Sega variant... only to realize it's a Rafa Knight cover. It's absolutely adorable.

Nice to see Hunzeker back, as well as Jon finally taking a crack at a cover for once.

I definitely echo the sentience about the werehog not affecting Sonic's personality much in anyway it the original game. I'd like to see how him losing himself a bit will be handled.

• Thumbs Up 1

I always wished he started out feral. Remember that creepy live action trailer? I wanted that for the start of the game at least. Also, Adventure Werehog makes me grin.

• Thumbs Up 3

You know what, I could get more behind this as this could lead him to be separated from the FF's and come across Chip. And since Chip is Light Gaia, he could potentially (and unknowingly) counteract Dark Gaia's influence and help Sonic regain his sanity.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

'Control,' Part 2. The Werehog is unleashed! As the jungle collapses in flames, it's up to Mighty to bring his feral friend to heel! But can Sonic even tell ally apart from enemy anymore?

Welp, my expectations have seemingly been confirmed and there goes a lot of my interest in this adaptation. This sounds like it's missing one of the most important fucking points of the form. If this turns out to truly be so and Sonic really is portrayed as an out-of-control monster who can't discern friend from foe then this stands against not only Sonic's character but also against one of the more interesting points of Unleashed's story.

This kind of shit belongs in a bad fanfic as far as I'm concerned, like "Dark Sonic" in X does. There's doing an adapt and then there's morphing source material into an unrecognizable form and I'm getting the latter vibes. As far as I'm concerned, this is sounding like too much of a deviation.

Of course, I for one would like to see Sonic being more influenced by his Werehog form. I feel it was unfulfilled potential in terms of making Sonic act a bit more bestial and therefore making the form a tad more believable. But I am not for ultimately spitting in the face of Sonic's willpower by making him a mindless beast.

I am seriously concerned with how this is going to play-out.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not a big fan of it either, but at the very least I can forgive it should it be Chip be the one to get his senses back and that a relationship between the two will be struck.

Welp, my expectations have seemingly been confirmed and there goes my interest in this adaptation. This sounds like it's missing one of the most important fucking points of the form. If this turns out to truly be so and Sonic really is portrayed as an out-of-control monster who can't discern friend from foe then this stands against not only Sonic's character but also against one of the more interesting points of Unleashed's story.

This kind of shit belongs in a bad fanfic as far as I'm concerned, like "Dark Sonic" in X does. There's doing an adapt and then there's morphing source material into an unrecognizable form and I'm getting the latter vibes. As far as I'm concerned, this is sounding like too much of a deviation.

Of course, I for one would like to see Sonic being more influenced by his Werehog form. I feel it was unfulfilled potential in terms of making Sonic act a bit more bestial and therefore making the form a tad more believable. But I am not for ultimately spitting in the face of Sonic's willpower by making him a mindless beast.

I am seriously concerned with how this is going to play-out.

What exactly is wrong with a Jekyll and Hyde scenario playing out? Is Sonic not allowed to have some personal faults? I dont think it's out of the question for Sonic to act like a monster at LEAST a bit in his Werehog form at first (like how Unleashed tried to market it as) rather then having complete control and no inner struggle whatsoever.

What exactly is wrong with a Jekyll and Hyde scenario playing out? Is Sonic not allowed to have some personal faults? I dont think it's out of the question for Sonic to act like a monster at LEAST a bit in his Werehog form at first (like how Unleashed tried to market it as) rather then having complete control and no inner struggle whatsoever.

I'm not arguing against Sonic acting a bit monstrously. In fact I think Unleashed piteously lacked it. I'm against it taking over-prominence and am worried about that.

I'm not arguing against Sonic acting a bit monstrously. In fact I think Unleashed piteously lacked it. I'm against it taking over-prominence and am worried about that.

Then that's fair to worry over then. I don't think they'll go that far but we'll see.

• Thumbs Up 1