Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

As much as I would like for this to try to keep as many elements of Unleashed as possible, the Werehog was far too tame in that game. Seeing something akin to a Jekyll/Hyde thing that later develops into Sonic's willpower being able to tame his form would be a lot more interesting than just happening to move and look different.

• Thumbs Up 5

If this turns out to truly be so and Sonic really is portrayed as an out-of-control monster who can't discern friend from foe then this stands against not only Sonic's character but...

...I'm sorry but, what?

"Sonic being mindless in beast form is going against his character".

Yeah, last I checked that's kinda how werewolves work.

Plus, it's unlikely that him going feral will go on for too long, since again, Chip has to enter the fray eventually and make everything right again.

As long as I get the Werehog I know and love, I think I'm good. I'm not really behind this 100% and still have reservations on how it'll be handled, but I'll wait and see.

...I'm sorry but, what?

Yes, that's how werewolves work.

It isn't how the Werehog works.

...I'm sorry but, what?

It is going against his character because Sonic's will and strong heart prevents the influence of Dark Gaia from over-taking him.

It is going against his character because Sonic's will and strong heart prevents the influence of Dark Gaia from over-taking him.

Your overselling Sonic a bit too much here methinks. Sonic is still human (in the spiritual sense), any living being would need the willpower of a saint to overcome Dark Gaia.

Making Sonic this perfect character with an unbreakable will would just be boring.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, that's how werewolves work.

It isn't how the Werehog works.

Which is ironic because he's powers are from a god of darkness

Which is ironic because he's powers are from a god of darkness

His powers are from an entity who's fragments inspire depression and strange behavior in those possessed by them. It doesn't corrupt them to the point of being completely out of control and evil.

Loving that Adventure variant. Must be easier to get into that pose in Werehog form. XD

His powers are from an entity who's fragments inspire depression and strange behavior in those possessed by them. It doesn't corrupt them to the point of being completely out of control and evil.

Really? It's been a while since I've gotten that far in unleashed but I do recall that some people acted like complete jerks I need to go back and check

The Sonic Universe arc sounds interesting.

Werehog being Hulk the Werewolf leaves me very wary considering the respect being paid to everything else.

But you know, whatever, adaptation, it should be held to no standards at all. Look forward to my upcoming officially licensed comic "Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita", in which Harry Potter goes to Hogwarts.

But what's wrong with Sonic having an inner struggle that he over comes eventually (which PROVES his strong will) as opposed to not having any struggle whatsoever and has it under control from the start (and having us being TOLD that he has a strong will without any knowledge his will was being tested before)?

My god, I went this whole time not realizing that Unleashed did a "Tell, don't Show" regarding Sonic's having a strong will, until you pointed that out. And to think all I realized that Unleashed's problems were weak Act 2 and the lack of other characters being present to show the world shattering affecting them.

• Thumbs Up 2

But what's wrong with Sonic having an inner struggle that he over comes eventually (which PROVES his strong will) as opposed to not having any struggle whatsoever and has it under control from the start (and having us being TOLD that he has a strong will without any knowledge his will was being tested in the first place)?

...I didn't even realize this until you pointed it out, goddamn that's actually a major point. Unleashed had a major case of "Tell don't Show" as far as the Werehog was concerned.

• Thumbs Up 2

Verte, sometimes I think you oversell just how perfect Sonic is honestly. 

Right. So can you outline where I said Sonic was "perfect"? Because this is nothing less than shoving words in my mouth and making my liking for Sonic's character out to be something that it isn't.

I can understand being upset about things changing, but in what way does the Werehog affecting Sonic's state of mind go against his character? His willpower? Yea, Sonic's got strong willpower, but ask yourself, what makes for a more interesting plot to read, the hero losing control and endangering those around him while gradually learning to get his power under control, or the hero just not being affected by said power simply because he's just that awesome apparently. Be reasonable :\

If the Werehog has absolutely no effect on Sonic at all, then it kind of defeats the purpose of all of the foreshadowing of Sonic's condition ever since inhaling the gas, and it ultimately becomes a cop out. At this point, you're not even focused on the actual quality of the writing, but what's been changed or not and criticizing it on that alone it seems.

I never said Werehog affecting Sonic's mind was OoC. I said turning him into a feral out of control monster who couldn't discern friend from foe was. Even "Dark Sonic" for all of it's crappiness didn't go that far.

We've yet to see the exact ramifications of this, what will happen. So I'm awaiting to see that. All I'm saying is that I'm not getting good vibes from what's already gone down and what's stated in that solicit and how it comes-off to me.

The dark gaia influence affecting people was a pretty weak plot point in Unleashed anyway. It only creeps up maybe twice and that's all you really see of it (the cutscene with the ice cream vendor in Apatos and the battle in Spagonia). It ends up feeling really inconsequential. If there is one thing they can improve on in the adaptation it's that.

Right. So can you outline where I said Sonic was "perfect"? Because this is nothing less than shoving words in my mouth and making my liking for Sonic's character out to be something that it isn't.

I apologize if I misunderstood you, but I'm also aware you're among the more passionate Sonic fans on this site when it comes to his personality and what can or cannot be done with it. I got the implication based mainly how vehement you seemed to be against Sonic's character changing at all, even if it makes sense from a narrative point of view, which in this case it does. 

I never said Werehog affecting Sonic's mind was OoC. I said turning him into a feral out of control monster who couldn't discern friend from foe was. Even "Dark Sonic" for all of it's crappiness didn't go that far.

We've yet to see the exact ramifications of this, what will happen. So I'm awaiting to see that. All I'm saying is that I'm not getting good vibes from what's already gone down and what's stated in that solicit and how it comes-off to me.

This is the keyword here, "Out of Control", as in Sonic is not consciously aware of his actions, meaning it's not something he's doing out of his own free will. How can it be out of character if the character in question has no control over their actions?

Perhaps "perfect" isn't the right word.

But here's the thing, you're being upset, or at least greatly cautious and vocal, about this particular change happening to Sonic against what was done in Unleashed. What you're saying is that you're not liking how things are different from Unleashed, but the way you're telling us comes off as though these things can not and should not be mutable even given the different circumstances of the comics from the games.

So from what we're gathering from you, there shouldn't be any changes to Unleashed like this, regardless of whether it makes sense for the given narrative of this medium or even if it can make things more interesting and potentially deliver something Unleashed didn't that some of us think made it fall short. The werehog being an example of that due to the different circumstances affecting his changes compared to what was done in the games; in Unleashed it was ripping the Chaos Emeralds out of him, here it was the effect of mutagenic element that has shown moments of Sonic going feral.

• Thumbs Up 1

I apologize if I misunderstood you, but I'm also aware you're among the more passionate Sonic fans on this site when it comes to his personality and what can or cannot be done with it. I got the implication based mainly how vehement you seemed to be against Sonic's character changing at all, even if it makes sense from a narrative point of view, which in this case it does. 

This is the keyword here, "Out of Control", as in Sonic is not consciously aware of his actions, meaning it's not something he's doing out of his own free will. How can it be out of character if the character in question has no control over their actions?

I think she means "out of character" not out of control.

I'm not against change. I'm against what I think is bad change. Heck, I even voiced the opinion in the Boom topic that Sonic's attitude there went down well with me because of the premise for his character there i.e The independent "I work alone" kind of guy.

Because it shouldn't get to that point in the first place IMO.

I'm against bad change, I'm not against change at all. Heck, I even voiced the opinion in the Boom topic that Sonic's attitude there went down well with me because of the premise for his character there i.e The independent "I work alone" kind of guy.

What exactly counts as "bad" change here? Really?

It's a different change, and I can see you don't exactly like it, but I'm not seeing how this is bad. Especially given that this arc is doing a lot what I think should have been done in Unleashed.

Really, I love what we got in Unleashed, and I think it's one of the stronger stories we've had in the games. But I don't see how what Archie is doing bad by being different while using the same source materials.

And why not?

I'm not against change. I'm against what I think is bad change. Heck, I even voiced the opinion in the Boom topic that Sonic's attitude there went down well with me because of the premise for his character there i.e The independent "I work alone" kind of guy.

Well in this case, it's "An unknown substance has warped Sonic's physiology and he has no control over it." I'd like to understand why you consider this a "bad change" because I can't find much fault with it, I mean it's generic sure, but I don't agree that it ruins the character.

Why?

Welp, I'm gonna step out guys. Things are getting way to heated over nothing here, so I'm gonna take a break from the board. Hopefully we all find something to enjoy in the coming issues. Have fun.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dear God, this argument is giving me a headache. I'm going to make this as clear as possible.

This is not a direct adaption of Sonic Unleashed. This is a long, branching story arc that is building Sonic's new world using the basic Unleashed story as a familiar frame for Sonic fans to help latch onto it. There was no underwater city in Unleashed. No Train Chase. No Knuckles and Chaotix. Ian is using elements from the game so it can fit into this new world. The main points are the World breaking apart, the Werehog and Chip. That's all! EVERYTHING else has changed. Including the world locations. 

"But Chip made friends with Knuckles before Sonic!" So what? This huge arc is far from over. Who's to say Sonic won't still be friends with him later.

I'm sorry, but those who are just now complaining that's it's not an adaption of Sonic Unleashed haven't been paying attention for the last six months because it's pretty damn obvious that it's not meant to be. It's better to let elements from the games blend into the world rather than take over or else we get crap like the Sonic Adventure arc.

• Thumbs Up 8