Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I think she means "out of character" not out of control.

I bolded specific words she said in the post I quoted from her.

Knuckles and the Chaotix met with Chip before Sonic. So ? They'll be together for what, 2 issues maybe (the second half of Knux's arc) and who's to say Chip won't end with Sonic and the FF later ?

Also about the sollicit saying the Werehog would go "feral"... you guys do know that the sollicits are not 100% right every time ? Or that they just describe the beginning of the story ? For all we know, the Werehog could be confused for a few pages and then the story would go on once he recovered.

Don't freak out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Though I do have to say Mighty facing down the werehog ought to be cool, specaily if he's still one of the toughest guys around, and its also to have him and ray back in a main arc as well

Since there's a report sitting there, I'm making an announcement on the issue of expectations as they pertain to this thread:

People are allowed to react to the information we have so far about the arc however they want to within reason, particularly in comparison to the original source material. Why? Because people are going to have different opinions about what constitutes an adaptation, and what constitutes the important parts of the game being adapted, one that has been highly divisive since its revelation, and that's going to color how people perceive the arc in the end. Telling anyone that they're wrong to feel the way they do- that they're whiners, that they don't know what they're talking about, that they're not paying attention, that they don't really know the story- based upon your own merely subjective interpretation of what is the right way to go about things or what is or isn't important in an adaptation which we haven't seen the entirety of is bollocks.

In short, if you don't give a shit that Knuckles meets and forges a relationship with Chip first, or that Sonic's psyche will be taken over, that is fine. If you do give a shit that these things have changed, that is also fine. It is perfectly fine. What isn't fine is to continuously use all forms of ad hominem to dismiss other people's thoughts. Seriously, I'm tired of looking at such eyesores of arguments.

You can continue the discussion if you so wish or you can ignore it, but whatever you choose, do so in a respectful manner.

• Thumbs Up 7

There are three things that shouldn't be discussed in polite company: politics, religion and Sonic adaptations.

There are three things that shouldn't be discussed in polite company: politics, religion and Sonic adaptations.

Just so you know, you're not really contributing anything to the actual discussion with this comment besides adding fuel to a fire that has just simmered down, so please don't say things like this. When you post, what you say should actually contribute to discussion and definitely shouldn't detract  or take away from it.

So please, post something relevant to the discussion at hand, or don't post at all as this comment does not qualify as such. Besides, generally speaking, pretty much anything can be discussed as long as all parties discuss the subject at hand in a civil and respectable manner, Sonic adaptations being no exception to this.

Please cut the lecturing. I was being ironic. It was an way to say that it is pointless to continue discussing. Sometimes being ironic about something is a tool to show that it is stupid.

1363042_ful.jpg

I like how they used the Xbox 360 transformation cutscene from Day to Night for this cover.

1363043_ful.jpg

…now that I think about it, wasn't Station Square still recovering from Perfect Chaos' attack when the planet split apart?

1363044_ful.jpg

Is this remind of the Sonic and Knuckles Logo? Or something else? It's giving me a major sense of deja vu...

1363045_ful.jpg

Nice to see a magazine style cover again, done by none other than Jonathan Gray.

• Thumbs Up 1

Please cut the lecturing. I was being ironic. It was an way to say that it is pointless to continue discussing. Sometimes being ironic about something is a tool to show that it is stupid.

She's a moderator; she's allowed to lecture. You are the other hand are not allowed to give backtalk to her, especially when she's being far more diplomatic than I am now.

When a staff member says to stop derailing, that means the discussion with which they're addressing is over and you are return to talking about more relevant matters. Pointing out how stupid something is in a discussion is hardly contribution and if nothing else makes the problem worse, especially considering I said something about the current debate at hand right before you butted it in with your commentary.

So get back on topic or risk a strike.

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't know exactly how it's going to handle the Werehog, but just going out of control and feral is against Sonic's character completely. Getting angrier and more short tempered and kind of feral and animalistic (as in, showing that there are the Dark Gaia influence there), but going completely out of control and losing it to the Werehog-side is against Sonic's character. 

Chip has said in the actual game that he himself didn't do anything to Sonic, and it was Sonic's strong heart and will that prevented him from succumbing to the Darkness and Night. As we've seen, the comic is telling the story of Sonic Unleashed a little differently with more characters involved and such, but none of that should affect Sonic's characterization at all. 

If Sonic is lead to believe that he needs Chip to stay in control, then that follows how the game went and is in character for Sonic. 

1363045_ful.jpg

Oh, hey, an Eggman logo next to ol' Snivy. I'm guessing he's still associated with Eggman somehow after all, but obviously not related to him. Fair enough, I guess.

As far as Sonic completely losing it over just being more irritable and violent, I can sorta see why it would happen.

Think about it. This werehog thing doesn't actually start in this issue. It started when the tremors were starting up and he breathed in that purple gas from Chuck's device.

Considering that Sonic had been exposed to that, plus the influence of Dark Gaia everywhere over the past few in-universe days, it wouldn't surprise me if it just sort of exploded out of him and temporarily made him berserk.

But then, the blue guy's pretty strong-willed I think, so I couldn't see him flipping out for too long.

I don't know exactly how it's going to handle the Werehog, but just going out of control and feral is against Sonic's character completely. Getting angrier and more short tempered and kind of feral and animalistic (as in, showing that there are the Dark Gaia influence there), but going completely out of control and losing it to the Werehog-side is against Sonic's character. 

Chip has said in the actual game that he himself didn't do anything to Sonic, and it was Sonic's strong heart and will that prevented him from succumbing to the Darkness and Night. As we've seen, the comic is telling the story of Sonic Unleashed a little differently with more characters involved and such, but none of that should affect Sonic's characterization at all. 

If Sonic is lead to believe that he needs Chip to stay in control, then that follows how the game went and is in character for Sonic. 

To be as neutrally as possible: all we have to go on are the solicitations. We don't know if "losing control" will be a constant thing, if it is a "happens because it's the first transformation, but he eventualy builds an immunity" thing, or even if it's going to be a "the solicitaiton is just overhyping it" thing.

All we can do is wait and see.

Now, let us, everyone, please try to coridally let this topic go until these issues actually come out. In 4-5 months.

Imagine that. Sega Sonic fans are upset that another of the Sega Sonic characters takes Sonic's place in this unwanted adaptation kicking off this even more unwanted (personally) reboot even though we already saw the Sonic and Chip relationship in the original game. 

Remember that saying? The book is always better than the movie? The adaptation will more often than not fail on some level that fans of the original material will give you hell for. I don't agree with the idea that the story isn't open for interpretation. Films do this all the time, hell, Marvel does this in their own damn material all the time. But many are going to argue for this, and while I don't uphold that line of thought, maybe a little agreement to disagree might be in line? People have their own standards, it's called different strokes for different folks for a reason. 

Mighty vs Werehog? Take all my money, Archie. And the money I may or may not have stolen from a bank.

Either way, I love Jon Gray's cover. The art looks a lot...different than he usually does. I wouldn't have been able to tell it was his if they didn't say it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't understand the negativity coming from both sides of the argument.

If someone likes the adaptation, fine, don't be a dick. People like what they want.

If someone doesn't like the adaptation, fine, don't be a dick. You can't force someone to like something.

I personally don't like it. I know it's an adaptation, and that the Archie universe is vastly different from the games one, but it's very loosely adaptated, so much so that the only things from the game left are the introduction of Chip, the werehog, Pickle, Dark Gaia and Orbot. And the whole buisisness about the werehog going feral... No thank you. Hopefully it's a one-time thing, just the first time, but I feel like turning Sonic feral is just like reading a run-of-the-mill awful Unleashed fic, not something that gives the werehog creedence or coolness.

Also, if someone is giving legitimate reasons as to why they like/dislike this change, stop being so ANAL. Sheesh, seriously guys, take a chill pill.

• Thumbs Up 2

After that Knux vs cover it would have been neat to have a cover with Mighty vs Warehog. All the solo Warehog covers are getting a bit boring, with even alternates just showcasing him. I know the Unleashed arc is big thing and he's the main thing everyone was waiting for etc, maybe its just cause he's one of my least favorite characters and designs...but one solo Warehog cover was enough for me >.<

Your overselling Sonic a bit too much here methinks. Sonic is still human (in the spiritual sense), any living being would need the willpower of a saint to overcome Dark Gaia.

Making Sonic this perfect character with an unbreakable will would just be boring.

That's more or less what I was thinking. I think Sonic's more interesting as a character when there's actually some element of darkness in him. He might hide it exceptionally well beneath that happy, friendly facade, but it's still there.

Dark Gaia's influence would rip that covering right off and expose it, as happens to ordinary people. While the new universe isn't as messed up as the last in terms of what Sonic has seen, I don't doubt he has feelings of anger towards all the evil the new Eggman has presumably done. Anger that is usually held in check by a strong sense of morals.

Near the end of its run, the Kikaider anime made an interesting theory, that having an evil heart doesn't make you weaker, but stronger. If you choose not to give into it, that is. Sonic chooses not to give in to his darkness. Doesn't mean it's not there, though!

The dark gaia influence affecting people was a pretty weak plot point in Unleashed anyway. It only creeps up maybe twice and that's all you really see of it (the cutscene with the ice cream vendor in Apatos and the battle in Spagonia). It ends up feeling really inconsequential. If there is one thing they can improve on in the adaptation it's that.

In all fairness, a lot of side missions were built around it. I think they just didn't want it to overtake the plot.

It's better to let elements from the games blend into the world rather than take over or else we get crap like the Sonic Adventure arc.

I can agree with this sentiment for two reasons.

For one, the loose adaption model was what Sonic the Comic made use of. And that series is generally considered excellent by anyone who has read it. It hasn't been in print for over a decade and yet people still talk about it.

For two, direct adaptions are predictable. You know everything that will happen. While it's understandable some fans will want to see a work realized in another format, some other fans will want it to be different so it's not entirely predictable. This is the case with, say, the Walking Dead TV series: who dies and who lives varies enormously compared to the books, making it hard to tell who's on the chopping block.

• Thumbs Up 1

Imagine that. Sega Sonic fans are upset that another of the Sega Sonic characters takes Sonic's place in this unwanted adaptation kicking off this even more unwanted (personally) reboot even though we already saw the Sonic and Chip relationship in the original game. 

Remember that saying? The book is always better than the movie? The adaptation will more often than not fail on some level that fans of the original material will give you hell for. I don't agree with the idea that the story isn't open for interpretation. Films do this all the time, hell, Marvel does this in their own damn material all the time. But many are going to argue for this, and while I don't uphold that line of thought, maybe a little agreement to disagree might be in line? People have their own standards, it's called different strokes for different folks for a reason.

We have moved past the subject of people disagreeing and whether it'd be best to move on. It was decided that people should be able to disagree as much as they want on the adaption, with the main provision being that said disagreements remain respectful. That in mind, let's try and avoid bringing it back up.

If people wish to argue, that is their right. Many people eventually retire from an argument after a few posts anyway, so the issue will fizzle out on its own. No one is compelled to read or reply to anyone else's posts; where there's no interest in the current discussion, there are fortunately hundreds of topics going on at any particular time at this forum.

Above all, this is also the Archie thread, not the Unleashed Adaption thread, so people are free to discuss other Archie-related topics if they feel the discussion of Unleashed isn't bearing fruit.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't know, personally one change that I can't wait to see in the Archie version is The Werehog losing control and going full on rampage. The werehog was a cool subject in Unleashed but we never got to see it actually affecting Sonic. I think It's a welcome change that Dark Gaia will take over Sonic's mind as The Werehog until either Mighty brings him to his senses or Chip manages to help Sonic regain control.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm just wondering if Snivley is working for GUN, on his own, and will try to take them over-- because he's an evil, backstabbing little shit (and I love him for it). Or if he's an Eggman double agent.

I'm thinking the former, but latter would be cool as well.

I'm just wondering if Snivley is working for GUN, on his own, and will try to take them over-- because he's an evil, backstabbing little shit (and I love him for it). Or if he's an Eggman double agent.

I'm thinking the former, but latter would be cool as well.

Since Snively was in the Wily Egg when the SGW went off, I'm honestly hoping he was close enough to remember the events of the old world. Imagine if Snively remembered everything that Eggman did to him. He made him lose his true love twice, locked him up for who knows how long, constantly gave Snively crap etc. 

Imagine exactly the threat Snively could become to both Sonic and Eggman with G.U.N's tech. He's been shown to be able to create mechs and other things without Eggman's help so imagine what he could do with that kind of technology and how he could use it against Eggman and Sonic.