Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I remember the days Knuckles used to be a rival for Sonic and was "The shit." That was before Shadow. He was able to even knock the super right out of Sonic.

Oi, kinda miss SEGA treating Knuckles that way.

I can understand Super Tails not being in the comics, because he's technically a hyper form. But why the hell can't Knuckles have a super form? He grew up around a giant Chaos Emerald, so it stands to reason that he'd have enough skill with chaos to access super mode.

I think they wanna limit the amount of Super forms within the series for some reason, and by limit, I mean make them exclusive to hedgehogs only :V

In that case, I expect Super Amy to be canon at some point.

Maybe because a certain other writer made a whole story which shows Knuckles when he has too much chaos energy and could suddenly time travel. 

But seriously the in-universe reason is probably Tails & Knuckles just don't know yet about their ability to turn into the super forms although I doubt Tails will have his super form unless they decide to allow him to do it with chaos emeralds, if I remember right, I think Ian said a while back that he wasn't going to add Hyper Sonic into the comics at least for the near future. Although I'm not sure so I could be wrong. I do hope they decide to add both Hyper Knuckles and Super Tails as it would be great to see a threat so big that it requires all three in super forms to deal with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

In that case, I expect Super Amy to be canon at some point.

She's not good enough apparently.

Knuckles not having a form doesn't make a lot of sense tho, I mean he's directly tied to the emeralds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sonic71.jpg

I still remember that issue where Classic Sonic got at least 5 different Super Forms and then transformed into Modern Sonic.

sonic71.jpg

I still remember that issue where Classic Sonic got at least 5 different Super Forms and then transformed into Modern Sonic.

What scares me most about that cover is Sonic's back.

It's like...as if someone took an ice cream scoop to it.

• Thumbs Up 3

His ears look weird too. Sonic's ears don't work that way.

I did not even realize that until you said something.

Not that it was a good issue anyway, but now not even the cover is salvageable.

I did not even realize that until you said something.

Not that it was a good issue anyway, but now not even the cover is salvageable.

At least they had the decency to warn us about it.

Just a little reminder that Ian and some other Archie staff are currently at Heroes Con today. I point out today specifically (and not the other days where he has a table) because Archie have a panel at 2pm. If anyone reports on it, it might mean more new info.

Ian, Yardley, and one of the editors will be there I think. They're going to talk about Sonic, Universe, and Megaman. I'm excited for news!

Okay, so if today is the "Odd Photos From Events" day, then this is probably the equivalent of what we've seen of Iizuka at Joypolis;

BqnEf2sCcAESChk.jpg

• Thumbs Up 8

Just a little reminder that Ian and some other Archie staff are currently at Heroes Con today. I point out today specifically (and not the other days where he has a table) because Archie have a panel at 2pm. If anyone reports on it, it might mean more new info.

I doubt that we'll get new info until SDCC

I doubt that we'll get new info until SDCC

There was a Tweet about that earlier. He said that it's 99% likely that he won't be going. In fact, before Heroes Con, he said that he wasn't going to any conventions this year. It's fortunate that he's managed to get to this one.

Also, have we talked about the confirmation that the no relationship thing applies to all the SegaSonic characters? Not sure.

I have to wonder why it is that SEGA is so picky about relationships. I get that it's to protect their brand image, but I don't think minor hints would be so bad if they didn't take up the spotlight.

Come to think of it, if that's the case, how come Knuckles got to have a girlfriend for so long? Even into Ian's run.

I have to wonder why it is that SEGA is so picky about relationships. I get that it's to protect their brand image, but I don't think minor hints would be so bad if they didn't take up the spotlight.

Come to think of it, if that's the case, how come Knuckles got to have a girlfriend for so long? Even into Ian's run.

Because the true tightening of the leash didn't come until much, much later into Ian's run. The only issue Julie-Su appeared in after #229 (which is when the comic got really observed and controlled) was #232, and Julie-Su was never romantic with Knuckles in that issue. In fact, a new reader would probably think that she was just another friend from that issue. 

...I wonder...

Because the true tightening of the leash didn't come until much, much later into Ian's run. The only issue Julie-Su appeared in after #229 (which is when the comic got really observed and controlled) was #232, and Julie-Su was never romantic with Knuckles in that issue. In fact, a new reader would probably think that she was just another friend from that issue. 

...I wonder...

If it's any consolation, he did get somewhat romantic with her unnamed, off-screen voice in #244.

If it's any consolation, he did get somewhat romantic with her unnamed, off-screen voice in #244.

Oh yeah, the issue where she flat-out died from the comic's perspective. I think at that point, SEGA wouldn't have minded because Knuckles was about to become girlfriend-less regardless. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a little weird that Sega is so against relationships in the comics. I mean all things considered, Sonic is the series where we had Tails and Cosmo officially say they were in love (At least in Sonic X) and the series which has Amy constantly trying to get Sonic to go out with her.

It's a little weird that Sega is so against relationships in the comics. I mean all things considered, Sonic is the series where we had Tails and Cosmo officially say they were in love (At least in Sonic X) and the series which has Amy constantly trying to get Sonic to go out with her.

Sonic X isn't canon, despite being supervised by Sonic Team and Cosmo died anyway. Amy and Sonic is one sided for the most part. I don't think they're "against" romance, but want to focus on the actual adventuring part of the series instead of relationship drama with the cast, which the comic was really bad at for a few years.

I'll agree that the romance did get a bit too much overplay but I did like it when Ian came onto the comic because every character wasn't being shipped for the point of being shipped. But when Ian did come aboard, there was barely any relationships apart from Sonic & Sally, Scourge & Fiona, and Knuckles & Julie-Su. Even then, Sonic & Sally was well done because it was done to help show how bad things can go for the Freedom Fighters in the Mecha Sally arc, especially for Sonic himself.

• Thumbs Up 1

I miss the relationships, but that's probably because Sonic and Sally have always gone together for me, since I first saw SatAM twenty years ago. *shrugs*

Anyways, just finished the Mecha-Sonic story arc in my re-reading (StH #39 and the Mecha Madness special). It's a story of two halves for me. On the one hand, oh my goddess! that art is amazing! Also, the story itself is pretty fun. But the fourth wall breaking humour in it is a little annoying. Examples being Robotnik reading the script for #39 and Bunnie's constant references to the American Civil War... Yes, I know she's from the equivalent of the American south... 50,000 years in the future! She has no reason to know anything about the American Civil War, considering nobody on Mobius even knows that the planet is actually a post apocalyptic Earth yet! Also... I really don't think the good guys should be coming out with expressions like "the south shall rise again". Seriously. 

Ahem! But I digress.

Finally, two more things that bugged me. Mecha-Knuckles is supposedly superior, because he was roboticized by an older robiticizer, made before Robotnik started using "inferior foreign parts". Foreign...? What does that even mean, when you're a global dictator? And how come Robotnik still doesn't know where Knothole is? Why wasn't he tracking Mecha-Sonic? And Sonic is restored to normal by the power of... some kind of weird... "spiritual" (ugh...) energy bestowed upon him by his billionth ring...? O...kay... *coughcopoutcough* 

Aside from those complaints, it was an entertaining story arc. I am at the point now where the comic starts to get consistently more serious in the run up to #50. Of course, I'll need to start reading the Knuckles book again soon... Last time I read through, reaching that point slammed the breaks on for me for a couple of months...

It's okay, Beth... It's only 32 issues. It's only 32 issues. You can do it!  

When you get to Knuckles, the best thing I can advise is to break up the Knux arcs with some issues of Sonic. Not that it was much better by comparison, but it helps dilute the Penders "genius" at least a little bit.

And when you get to Endgame.... keep your fingers crossed. You will not believe how much that story has fallen apart over the years, especially with knowledge of Ken's bullcrap behind the scenes and since.

I'm surprised Endgame got so much love in the first place.  OK sure it had an awesome final battle with Sonic and Robotnik, but most of the time it was pretty bad, with deus ex machinas, plot device characters and overall bad writing.