Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

You know I think if Julian had returned it would've been pretty good. I mean lulling everyone into beleiving you're dead, organizing back into the city (deathtrap) and then cutting them at the ankles. There's a lot you can do with that sense of security.

If Robotnik really needed to make a comeback, I'd say that now isn't a good time since Eggman is currently keeping everybody on their toes (unless something of importance actually happens in issue 200). I heard that some robot named ADAM was meant to be Robotnik, but then again I don't know who ADAM is and have yet to read that far, so I'll have to judge for myself on whether or not that was a good decision on the writer's part.

But moreover, I also really want to see Robotnik 1-up Eggman. Badly.

Speaking of Eggman, I'm also wondering about the fact if Eggman Nega will be playing a big role soon, based on what I've read in these two comics. And considering how devious and sneaky he's been in the games (and a master of disguise), I wouldn't be surprised if he appeared taking place of the current Eggman temporarily, while those Zone cops are looking for him.

I think Julian produced an entirely different conflict compared to Eggman who would seemingly be heading into the direction of his game self in terms of what kinds of conflicts he provided. Honestly? I'm tired of the Knothole thing. Take Knux, Tails, Amy and Mina and chase adventure. Knux is supposed to be leaving Angel Island with the growing understanding the whole world's in danger. But instead of journeying the world now he just sort of seems to be tied to the city like he was the island.

Take Knux, Tails, Amy and Mina and chase adventure.

Wouldn't technically be my ideal story(And granted, I'm really not sure what my ideal story for the comic would be), but it sounds like a lot of fun. I wouldn't mind Sonic going out to journey with those four on a journey of fun, excitement, and self-discovery.

Tails, Knuckles, and Amy? Yes.

Mina? She can burn for all I care.

You might want to choose a different method of death if you don't want her to come back a la Jean Grey. :lol:

Was overjoyed to find Sonic Universe #1 in the mail this morning after weeks upon weeks of waiting. This was a great issue and I look forward to what the rest of SU holds.

P.S., I loved shadow's mind-melting rage face.

Edited by chaoscontrol14

I like Mina, I think she's cool.

But did anyone else find it really weird that in Mobious 25 years later

she was married to Tails??????

I thought she was neat because she was the 1st Archie character designed to look like Sonic Team characters, but otherwise useless. She's only useful when they want to make Sonic look like a shallow playa.

HAY< when is SonicU #2 coming out? I'm want to head out to the comic store tomorrow but I don't want to make another trip to go get it.

If you're going to speak ill of a character you can at least provide basis for it.

I thought she was neat because she was the 1st Archie character designed to look like Sonic Team characters, but otherwise useless. She's only useful when they want to make Sonic look like a shallow playa.

Because when Sonic wants to explore all relationships to be sure he'll find happiness he's a "playa" despite communicating little if any sense of commitment. Meanwhile Sally can frolick around with St. John but Sally fans contend she's not a slut or a player either. Speaking of which, if he had to commit, I'd prefer it to be someone shoved down my throat who doesn't drag huge bouts of melodrama, has more interest then liking him as a symbol then they do a person and doesn't cheapen the other characters through their very existence. Ultimately I say let the guy be a character for goodness sake, he's not God. Just about all of the characters in Sonic's main cast are currently pretty useless, with their means of contribution pretty superficial and in the great scheme of the story replaceable in that Sonic doesn't really need any of their actual personalities to function. Even when you consider their physical contributions there's usually 2-3 other characters with the same capabilities and thinking broader, they all acheive the same result (bashing a bot inside out). Why this has suddenly become a "Mina issue" I'll never know. Mina was (and still can be) good in providing a new kind of female voice to the book IMO.

P.S: M:25YL is not canon and has already been contradicted by the present day continuity. So its not even really a "possible future", anymore. Thank God.

Edited by Miko

Speaking of Eggman, I'm also wondering about the fact if Eggman Nega will be playing a big role soon, based on what I've read in these two comics. And considering how devious and sneaky he's been in the games (and a master of disguise), I wouldn't be surprised if he appeared taking place of the current Eggman temporarily, while those Zone cops are looking for him.

We won't be seeing Eggman Nega anytime soon. I remember reading over at Bumbleking that SEGA aren't letting them use him. They practically had to beg to use Omega apparently.

Edited by Xeric

We won't be seeing Eggman Nega anytime soon. I remember reading over at Bumbleking that SEGA aren't letting them use him. They practically had to beg to use Omega apparently.

I read that when it came to Omega, Cream, Blaze, Marine, Chip and so on. Then again, I believe it's also meant to be temporarily, right? And also depnds when that stuff was said, I suppose.

I like Mina, I think she's cool.

But did anyone else find it really weird that in Mobious 25 years later

she was married to Tails??????

I did,that was a WTF moment for me.Wonder how it happened...They need to explain this.

Woo-hoo! Sonic Universe #2 just came in the mail! Here's a synopsis for those interested:

1.Shadow recruits sonic to help disable a telescope robotnik has turned into a laser.

2.According to rouge, this laser has the power to vaporize the freedom fighters' force field, their camp, and half of the eggdome itself. Sonic questions why eggman would build something so over the top, Shadow believes the doctor is losing his last grasp on reality with all the times he's been defeated. Sonic disagrees, citing that eggman hasn't stooped that far yet.

3.The three try to disable the doom laser, but accidentally shift it into position to fire.

4.Shadow takes off his inhibitor rings and uses his chaos powers to stop the laser. He begins to fall off the laser, but sonic grabs his hand, saying they're not going through the whole shadow-plummeting-to-the-earth thing.

5.Sonic questions if shadow's going to join the final battle against eggman, Shadow says that he owes sonic much gratitude and the least he could do is allow sonic to settle things with the doctor.

6.Shadow wishes sonic good luck and rouge marvels at how far the relationship between the two has come.

7.Shadow - Hmph. He has my respect, that's all.

Rouge - Of course. Far too scandalous for you two to be Friends.

8.Spread throughout the comic are several SA2 flashback scenes, showing how SA2 went down in the Archie Universe.

9.After clashing with sonic, shadow recieves the call from eggman about the island blowing up and at the same time, rouge calls saying she's trapped. Eggman says to forget rouge and they'll later dig the emeralds out of the ashes. Sonic, however, offers to help shadow rescue rouge and they call a temporary truce.

10.Sonic and Shadow rush to the security hall and chaos control to the desert. Shadow chaos controls again to the ARK and sonic introduces himself to rouge.

11.Sonic and rouge infiltrate the pyramid(even running into an e-1000) and they blast off in the shuttle towards the ARK.

12.Sonic and shadow clash at Final Chase/Final Rush, and rouge calls him saying she found an important video(Prof. Gerald's threat).

13.Cut to the biolizard, who chaos controls and fuses with the cannon. Shadow remorses over how he's failed maria, but sonic informs him that they still have seven trump cards(the emeralds). They transform and battle The Final Hazard.

14.They teleport the ARK to safety and shadow falls to the earth.

15.Also included is another hilarious SU off-panel where Sonic questions why they're adapting SA2 so late and Knuckles wonders where he is in the adaptation.

Great issue. A wonderful SA2 adaptation as well as a nice side story.

• Thumbs Up 1

I did,that was a WTF moment for me.Wonder how it happened...They need to explain this.

Mina couldn't get Batman so she went with Robin instead. :P

Woo-hoo! Sonic Universe #2 just came in the mail! Here's a synopsis for those interested:

9.After clashing with sonic, shadow recieves the call from eggman about the island blowing up and at the same time, rouge calls saying she's trapped. Eggman says to forget rouge and they'll later dig the emeralds out of the ashes.

That is... entirely out of character to how Eggman was in Sonic Adventure 2. I know Archie Eggman is more ruthless and cold, but wow, that goes against the very essence of his SA2 characterization. I'm disappointed.

I'm not, because they're obviously not the same Eggman. It'd be out of character for Archie Eggman otherwise. It's not supposed to be like his SA2 characterization.

Edited by Toby Barrett

I'm not, because they're obviously not the same Eggman. It'd be out of character for Archie Eggman otherwise. It's not supposed to be like his SA2 characterization.

I guess, but it is an adaption of SA2, so I guess I expected something a bit closer to the source material.

Then again, I suppose this is a godsend of accuracy compared to some of the early Genesis game adaptions, so I can't really complain.

I guess, but it is an adaption of SA2, so I guess I expected something a bit closer to the source material.

Then again, I suppose this is a godsend of accuracy compared to some of the early Genesis game adaptions, so I can't really complain.

Adaptation does not equal "exactly the same" or even necessarily totally similar.

At the time of the SA2 story in the comic's canon, Knuckles has turned green and is fighting a Tails clone that's wearing a bath towel as a cape. Amy is on the other side of the planet, training with her Robin Hood wannabe cousin.

There is no way this adaptation could be similar to the game. XD

Got the issue today. My subscription lasts till issue #5, but I'm really glad I'm getting these issues, Ian's like the only guy that can write Shadow in a way that makes me enjoy the character. XD

Also, scanned up the Off Panel, for those of you who havn't seen it yet..

ButlerOffPanel.png

Man, I never was much of a fan of Butler's work in the past, but now that he's toned down on the odd, gangly proportions and everything, I absolutely love his work! XD

Edited by Toby Barrett

At the time of the SA2 story in the comic's canon, Knuckles has turned green and is fighting a Tails clone that's wearing a bath towel as a cape. Amy is on the other side of the planet, training with her Robin Hood wannabe cousin.

There is no way this adaptation could be similar to the game. XD

Got the issue today. My subscription lasts till issue #5, but I'm really glad I'm getting these issues, Ian's like the only guy that can write Shadow in a way that makes me enjoy the character. XD

Also, scanned up the Off Panel, for those of you who havn't seen it yet..

ButlerOffPanel.png

Man, I never was much of a fan of Butler's work in the past, but now that he's toned down on the odd, gangly proportions and everything, I absolutely love his work! XD

Yeah that stuff is looking really good, not like the artist I got sick of seeing back in the 1st issues he was doing. This was a funny bit. Still stiff but on-model.

The comic it's self was a bit out of place, because it's tieing into the Sonic issue, but otherwise this was good. It irks me a bit to have Shadow be friends with Sonic in that manner because it looks like the relationship Knuckles and Sonic had when they started becoming friends. This IS a great direction to take Shadow as a character but I don't like the idea of them becoming team mates, it basically replaces Knuckles position.

I think when it comes to Shadow the best stuff is the "odd-couple" like parings that we've seen, such as him meeting Marine and the play of Sonic in the opening of the comic. I've never liked how Archie handles Rouge though, she's lost a bit of personality and possibility in the Archi-verse and feels like a background female character rather then a head strong mastermind. She's certainly a lot weaker, but I do like the "Rouge/Shadow working for the government" thing that's going on. As for Eggman's bit, it didn't bother me but weird that you wouldn't write what was said in the video game. Great art by yardly BTW, but the coloring is weird. Good but I don't like the orange shading they do for Shadows red markings, it seems like they're over doing it.

Can't wait for the next one.

Adaptation does not equal "exactly the same" or even necessarily totally similar.

Exactly. Not all the games can be completely adapted into the comics story wise (and in some cases in terms of character). Things are just way different between the two canons. The two Eggmans have vastly different pasts, and although they have some similarities, they aren't completely the same. Also, as Toby pointed out, 3 major characters in the game were gone doing different things at the time this happened, there's no way SA2 could have been completely replicated into the comics.

I personally liked SU #2. It had a bit of pacing problems, but other than that I found it very enjoyable.

After #198 I found Sonic Universe #2 to be incredibly lacking...almost as though the story was written by two different people.

The action in SU#2 just doesn't compare. What happened the whole issue; basically jack all.

Sure a few lasers got bust, and some coupling joints, but the way they animated that action is just in such a boring way I never felt anything was really happening. The whole issue just seemed lacking and boring...more of an opportunity to fit in SA2 into the story, but only in tiny flashbacks that weren't even very nostalgic in themselves....it all bored me, and especially after #198 (which is the best Ive seen the comic in a long while) SU#2 felt...well lame.

On that note, did anyone else think their issues cover looked a bit odd?

Because mine looks like the cover art was on a smaller image and they've just increased that image and printed, because all the line work is pixelated to the max, looks kinda budget and cheap.