Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

They're not MORE angrier than Sonic's but they lean that way, they have that slightly furrowed brow rather than being fully wide open.

Even Sonic seems to furrow them if we abide by his early sprites, notice the wide open look as he makes his way out of the emblem:

Sonic_1rip_Gibbo.gif

I would have liked to see Ben Bates' Sally used on the 256 cover at least. It looks almost like an update of the pilot/early comics Sally.

Yeah, I don't think Amy's modern eyes necessarily look angry, point is they look closer to how Sonic's do look "angry" or at least furrowed.

More or less. It's changing a characters expression to be less unique and more like some other character. This is why I don't like the modern Sally design. I don't even mind the attire changes on either all that much.

9jXYBCn.png

k0UVoM7.png

Even without the smile, it's obvious Sonic is being confident, cool, and ready for action, and it's even more blatantly obvious that Amy's eyes are wide open and her 'brows' aren't furrowed at all in any way.

You know what?

tJqLDoJ.png

Nah. Disagree with you. It's a furrowed brow. If given a smile it'll easily be a confident look, but just as easily add a frown and it's anger- not outright berserker rage, sure, but "I am displeased at this situation" anger.

umm.. about Sally's new desing.. there is some archie artists that still concerve a little bit of her classic face construction

Lamar Wells

get_ready_freedom_fighters_cl_by_trunks2
Edited by Drawloverlala
  • Thumbs Up 1

You know what?

tJqLDoJ.png

Nah. Disagree with you. It's a furrowed brow. If given a smile it'll easily be a confident look, but just as easily add a frown and it's anger- not outright berserker rage, sure, but "I am displeased at this situation" anger.

On Sonic, to me it just looks like he's ready for action and focused more. Amy is just frowing :( .

There are exceptions for Sally, but that's what they are, exceptions. The version used in the CGI art is even referred to as the definitive contemporary design.

Yeah, pretty much. The artists are allowed some leeway, but the final designs are considered the Rafa models, which in most cases actually sours me a bit. Wished a more faithful interpretation of Bates' design had been used instead (her first newSally model just seems to me an edit of the old one, missing the point that the redesign had been a bit deeper than just "shave her whiskers")

Also wished they'd kept Bates' design for Antoine in the prototype 252 cover, the one that had the same attire and proportions, but at least had similar colour scheme and facial fur pattern as the old design.

It kinda exacerbates my annoyance with the new designs that they actually chose them over other better compromised ones. Rotor looks like the only one that they took the best option (though even he looks a bit odd without his flab).

I got mine yesterday, along with Universe #74, Boom #6, and Mega Man #47 and #48

I got Sonic 271, Mega Man 48, and SU 75 today!

Only read the first so far, so I'll share my thoughts:

-Again, I love how Sonic's willing to throw a world-broadcast fight just to help Knuckles out. After the early days of them attacking and insulting each other at no provocation or logical reason, it's refreshing to see how much Blue and Red trust each other.

-I'm really disappointed that the fight was interrupted. Yeah, it was about as predictable as a DIMPS level being loaded with bottomless pits, but since the very start of the book, we have yet to see a full Sonic vs Knuckles fight with a definitive winner! (FCBD '07 doesn't count; Sonic wasn't in control of his body.)

-Metal... *sigh* 

First of all, I was hoping he would interact with Breezie while trying to steal the Emerald. Not because I mostly jokingly call them my new OTP, but it would've been priceless to see Breezie's reaction to her most powerful ally stripped of his rebellious streak she admired so much. (Has it been confirmed if/how Eggman has installed that defiance kill-switch post-SGW?)

More importantly.... urrggggghhhhh

I was really rooting for him here! Is it too much to ask for Metal to come out on top once?!

The solution was simple: take to the skies!!! Sonic can't fly, and no one who can is anywhere near as fast as him!

-Finally, I'm glad to see Tails save the day. It was really clever to turn Sonic's reassurance into subtle foreshadowing! I don't think anyone's gonna hold that loss to Honey against him anymore!

• Thumbs Up 1

I got Sonic 271, Mega Man 48, and SU 75 today!

Only read the first so far, so I'll share my thoughts:

-I'm really disappointed that the fight was interrupted. Yeah, it was about as predictable as a DIMPS level being loaded with bottomless pits, but since the very start of the book, we have yet to see a full Sonic vs Knuckles fight with a definitive winner! (FCBD '07 doesn't count; Sonic wasn't in control of his body.)

This is kind of the point though. It's to give the fans what they want without giving either side any actual validation for who they pull for. Shadow and Knuckles were roughly even in their fight (even considering Shadow was weakened and Knuckles saw through some of his tricks), Sonic and Mega Man were roughly even in their fight, it's hard for me to be disappointed or surprised with the outcome. They got some good hits and dialogue in, and I feel like that's better than giving either of them a clear win.

As for Metal, I just assumed the defiance kill-switch was a carry over from the old 'verse, since this Metal is the same one from the end of SU#50 and the crossover. And it's shown to have a bit of a one track mind that Eggman does have to put back in place when ordering it to do anything. Makes me think Metal still has something of a rebellious streak, it's just reined in by whatever Eggman did prior to "Worlds Collide."

It was kinda an anti climax, I mean the interruption was completely expected, but the ambush was kinda underwhelming. Team Hooligan also disappeared for the rest of the story. I was kinda hoping for an all out free for all over the emerald like on the cover (yeah, covers have NEVER been accurate to the story but still). It's too fun a story to be ruined just on that, but it felt like a bit of a watered down climax to a great arc.

• Thumbs Up 1

It was kinda an anti climax, I mean the interruption was completely expected, but the ambush was kinda underwhelming. Team Hooligan also disappeared for the rest of the story. I was kinda hoping for an all out free for all over the emerald like on the cover (yeah, covers have NEVER been accurate to the story but still). It's too fun a story to be ruined just on that, but it felt like a bit of a watered down climax to a great arc.

I think it ended well enough. Tails bringing Metal down at the end gave him redemption for being embarrassed by his quick loss to Honey earlier.

• Thumbs Up 2

I didn't really have a problem with the way it ended (just got it in the mail yesterday!), though I'd have liked to see the hooligan's plan unfold more. 

Also, I want to say that this whole fighters arc had some really great expressions.  A lot of them reaction pic worthy.

js0hkz.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

K, so I finally finished the arc myself.

Overall, I've said this constantly, and I will continue to say it until Sonic Team steps up their own game: everyone had a reason for being present. And it's not just the location either, the whole premise was enough for us to see other parts of the world having eyes on this event. So while they may not be at the tournament themselves, we can still see what everyone else is up to. And I like how it managed to balance such a large cast in a small area.

That being said...yeah the ending was very anticlimactic and could have been done better. However, I think this has more to do with the structure as it shows the flaws in the 4-part arc that allows things to go at a faster pace. And this connects to the number of characters involved, because there's only so much you can do with so many character in the amount of pages they can put this stuff in. There's only so much they can add or cut down before it feels too disjointed, so I wouldn't put it past me that they realized this and this was done for the sake of coherency.

It makes me think that arcs like this with so many characters should be extended to 6-issues maximum (so as too keep things from lasting as long as the Iron Dominion arc, as much as I loved most of it) instead of four if necessary, so as to allow more room for detail to pack a punch and better flow of the narrative. That's out of my hands, but just an idea. Of course that can also backfire as well given that interruptions like the upcoming Worlds Collide could end up draining when we want to get back into the overall story it overtook, but if they were able to make it work specifically for when they need more room in non-crossover issues, this could add more flexibility to things.

So yeah, we knew Metal Sonic's interruption was going to happen, it was just a matter of how and it turned out to be a big bummer in the way it ended. His scuffle with the heroes should have been much bigger than that if you ask me, as he barely did much other than fly around and defend.

Still, the cliffhanger it left with Breezie makes me curious about what she's planning. Thanks to this event, she's more powerful than she was before, being worth half the planet in her own words. So this is going to be exciting to see her in the future.

So yeah, overall, great fanservice, decent arc, but a letdown of an ending due to rushed pacing. At least Tails managed to redeem his early folly with Honey, so it has its ups.

And Antoine's a fucking dick.

Rooting for Knuckles? Really? :lol:

• Thumbs Up 4

6 parts max seems reasonable.  It'd spread things out a bit more without really wearing out its welcome. 

And Antoine is still salty about his SatAm days

:P

Read Sonic Universe #70, so... here we go again.

-Crystal Desert Zone and Burning Ruin Zone? Cool, some original levels!

-So Silver's essentially replacing the Zone Cops as guardian of the multiverse? Neat. He seems like the best candidate for the job. (Also, it seems Genesis Portals are his go-to method for time travel now. Guess this means no more Time Stones. :( )

-Speaking of Silver, this issue has his best characterization ever. Essentially telling Sonic not to let fate write itself is a huge far cry from "U MUST BE TEH IBWIS TWIGGER/TWAITOR! I'M SURE OF IT THIS TIME! DIE!!!!" 

-I'm not really bummed about Metal Sonic failing again. He put up a great fight, and I love how he dove face-first into lava, only to pop right back out like nothing happened. I just hope he finds a way back home soon. Also, it was really clever of Sonic to utilize Metal's greatest weakness: his poor braking. At least he didn't smash into a metal wall this time!

-Upon rereading Total Eclipse part 4 and the Champions finale, I've discovered that Knuckles actually took the red Chaos Emerald with him, and he gave it to the Freedom Fighters. Now all they have to do is take Eggman's Emerald, and they'll be halfway done with their quest!

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh hey my enquiring got us a new tidbit. Go me.

(In the new reality) Genesis Wave > "Genesis" arc > ??? > Worlds Collide > Shattered World Crisis > Worlds Unite.

That "???" will be covered pretty early in "Worlds Unite."

In other words: the first Genesis reset that led to the "Genesis" arc also happened in this canon. Also there was something that led to the first crossover from the new canon's perspective and we're gonna find out what it was in WU.
  • Thumbs Up 9

Oh hey, Pendering is the official nickname now. Good to see.

Although that annoys me. It proves that Countdown to Chaos was nothing and I do mean NOTHING more than ''OH GUYS DON'T WORRY, THOSE 20 YEARS OF COMICS DO MATTER! HONEST! (But it really doesn't)'' I bet we won't have anymore mentions to the fact Sally was a robot. I'm sure pretty soon Naugus will come back and be like ''I don't know why I left the castle, guess I'll retake it.'' That actually fucking pisses me off, because it's basically saying those 20 years are now nothing more but a faint memory. Nothing more than a quick attempt to keep old readers from leaving the comic altogether.

Although that annoys me. It proves that Countdown to Chaos was nothing and I do mean NOTHING more than ''OH GUYS DON'T WORRY, THOSE 20 YEARS OF COMICS DO MATTER! HONEST! (But it really doesn't)'' I bet we won't have anymore mentions to the fact Sally was a robot. I'm sure pretty soon Naugus will come back and be like ''I don't know why I left the castle, guess I'll retake it.'' That actually fucking pisses me off, because it's basically saying those 20 years are now nothing more but a faint memory. Nothing more than a quick attempt to keep old readers from leaving the comic altogether.

Well, what else could they have done? With Ken Penders acting the way he is, it's pretty clear that their hands were tied on this matter.

• Thumbs Up 1