Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Man, I wish I still had that... if only for the SUPER freaky cover with Sonic coming out of the TV into the 'real world'. Precursor to "The Ring" much? ^^; Sadly I stupidly sold it at SoS '09.

Man, I wish I still had that... if only for the SUPER freaky cover with Sonic coming out of the TV into the 'real world'. Precursor to "The Ring" much? ^^;

Give this game cartridge to someone else within seven days or Sonic will eat you.

Sadly I stupidly sold it at SoS '09.

I'm a little surprised someone would want it.XD I mean, yeah, it's an old, hard to find comic, but it's also one of the most silly and nonsensical stories the book ever saw.XD

Roarz, if you don't mind me asking, is your Tails sig from an early issue of Archie? It looks very familiar.^_~

I thought the same exact thing. I'm almost positive it's either from the Sonic-in-Your-Face special or the one where Sally reads Tails a story about Sonic being a knight. And about Sonic Live... that special was absolutely... horrific.

I imagine that's why they wanted it. It certainly is a conversation piece! That's what attracted me to it, after all. It was so horrific that it was actually kind of awesome.

I thought the same exact thing. I'm almost positive it's either from the Sonic-in-Your-Face special or the one where Sally reads Tails a story about Sonic being a knight. And about Sonic Live... that special was absolutely... horrific.

Heh, it must have been from the In Your Face special...the pose from the "bedtime story" one is close, though!

tailsfly.png

I imagine that's why they wanted it. It certainly is a conversation piece! That's what attracted me to it, after all. It was so horrific that it was actually kind of awesome.

Heh, so bad it's good.XD Especially with the Demon Teeth of the human boy.XD

Aww, look'it Tails in that panel ^^; I liked his old design... but I like his current design too. Brown suited him though. Now I need to dig out the whole page so I can make an icon from it XD

Actually, I don't think it's from In Your Face since the gloves are drawn with those cuffs on. It might be from the issue with the superhero parodies. I planned on solving this mystery last week, but now I'm gonna have to pull out my comics. I know I have the issue, I recognized the image immediately after all these years. :P

Edited by Stretchy Werewolf

Aww, look'it Tails in that panel ^^; I liked his old design... but I like his current design too. Brown suited him though. Now I need to dig out the whole page so I can make an icon from it XD

Glad you're happy.^^

I'll always miss Brown Tails. I'm not entirely sure why, but I have an emotional attachment the portrayal of the character in SatAM, Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, and the early days of the comic. Maybe it's just that I miss the character being the underdog who was still able to accomplish amazing things.

I'll always miss Brown Tails. I'm not entirely sure why, but I have an emotional attachment the portrayal of the character in SatAM, Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, and the early days of the comic. Maybe it's just that I miss the character being the underdog who was still able to accomplish amazing things.

Yeesh.

Having never seen any of Archie / SatAM until this very year, I have no nostalgia filter to block out the fact that Brown Tails looks like the sensible Tails just when he hasn't bathed for a very long time. :P

Edited by Frozen Nitrogen

Yeesh.

Having never seen any of Archie / SatAM until this very year, I have no nostalgia filter to block out the fact that Brown Tails looks like the sensible Tails just when he hasn't bathed for a very long time. :P

Regrettably, it took a long while for Rotor to invent soap.

I kid, I kid.XD

Edit: I finally found where that Tails pic is from! It was from way back in issue 4!

tailsconfident.png

Edited by BlazeyBakeneko
  • Thumbs Up 2

Aww, you found it! Good job, Blazey ^^ That IS pretty early... did you just search through all of them 'til you found it?

Aww, you found it! Good job, Blazey ^^ That IS pretty early... did you just search through all of them 'til you found it?

Thanks Jai! I just got lucky to be honest.XD The image was right after that scene where Tails trashes Orbinaut and Buzzbomber.

Oh, I was wrong then. I actually don't have issue four, but I looked. You can tell it's early because Dave Manak draws his flying Tails' tails as a kind of cone sticking out of his butt. About a year in they start adding some fluff, so it looks like afterimages of really fast tails. His cuff bands are also red, which was pink Sally era.

Yeah, I always thought that the way his tails were back then when he flew was very... against physics. I don't see where he's getting the lift from with such tight circles. Then again, how his tails spin at all is still something of a conundrum ^^; I don't know if anyone's come up with a satisfactory anatomical answer to describe how his tails spin without simply wrapping around each other.

I remember seeing him 'rev up' his tails in SatAM by twisting them around each other... but that would only provide about three spins and doesn't explain how he then continues the motion.

AGH my brain hurtssss.

His cuff bands are also red, which was pink Sally era.

It's kind of interesting that you mentioned how his cuffs were drawn, because I really miss the way those used to look. I mean, the color of the bands isn't a biggy for me, red or black both work fine. But I really liked those "flared out cuffs" that made his gloves more distinct from the gloves of the other characters, and was kinda sad to see them disappear after he got his Segasonic redesign.

Tails still sports that band in the new designs. I don't see what you're trying to aim at. http://www.geeks.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Tails.jpg

Yeah, I always thought that the way his tails were back then when he flew was very... against physics. I don't see where he's getting the lift from with such tight circles. Then again, how his tails spin at all is still something of a conundrum ^^; I don't know if anyone's come up with a satisfactory anatomical answer to describe how his tails spin without simply wrapping around each other.

I remember seeing him 'rev up' his tails in SatAM by twisting them around each other... but that would only provide about three spins and doesn't explain how he then continues the motion.

AGH my brain hurtssss.

Oh physics. The tail rotation is Adventure didn't work either. One of them rotated in the right direction (I think it was the lift one) but the other one (running across the ground) should've been in the contrary direction. :(

Edited by redmenace

Tails still sports that band in the new designs. I don't see what you're trying to aim at. http://www.geeks.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Tails.jpg

Oh, that's true come to think of it, heh.XD

But his cuffs don't "flare out" anymore, though. In terms of shape, they are basically the same as Sonic's, now.

Oh, that's true come to think of it, heh.XD

But his cuffs don't "flare out" anymore, though. In terms of shape, they are basically the same as Sonic's, now.

That you're right, but I think that Tails would win more if his classic cute look returned far more than keeping the gloves for example.

AGH my brain hurtssss.

Your brain is going to hurt even more when I bring up the Sonic In Your Face! special issue where Tails decides to keep his tails stationary while in mid air and use the perpetual motion to rotate his full body instead in order to make Robotnik dizzy ( Tails' Tallest Tail.)

The physics are baffling, almost like hammerspace. Ah cartoon logic, how I miss you.

• Sonic News

Haha, shame the comic couldn't get away with something like that these days.

I really need to put up the latest reviews...

Haha, shame the comic couldn't get away with something like that these days.

Actually, Skye Prower recently flew by spinning his body instead of tails. Somehow.XD

One of these days the logic-defying safety cable of suspended belief is going to snap, leaving our flying heroes no longer very suspended. Possibly while they are flying over a pit of spikes?

One of these days the logic-defying safety cable of suspended belief is going to snap, leaving our flying heroes no longer very suspended. Possibly while they are flying over a pit of spikes?

I hope they have shields.XD Kind of weird how Ray flies without any visible patagium under his arms, come to think of it.

Edited by BlazeyBakeneko

Knuckles' gliding is equally odd. I know it's supposed to be the air beneath his quills/dreads, but it still doesn't make much sense anatomically.