Toby

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

And there's one of the best reasons Ian is such a good writer for the comic. Unlike Penderp or Karl, or the other writers, Ian will do research on characters and series he doesn't know. Any of the other writers basically just said fuck it and took a shot in the dark with characters, and game elements and fucked them up badly. Ian on the other hand actually takes the time to do severe research in order to understand these characters, elements, and game series.

Not just that, but how he deals with deals with fan reaction to his writing. It's great to know we have some influence in how he writes the comics, but it's even better that he doesn't let us dictate how it should be written. Not that there is anything wrong with trying to please as many people as possible and not annoy certain camps, but at the end of the day you can't let that be the main decider over how to write the work - some people aren't going to be pleased if something they don't like is even around.

Not to mention we can't exactly predict the events of writing anyway. So for a writer writing what they love and respecting the people they want reading their work, it's best they write a good plot they know people will love, and for the readers judge how it's performed than how it's different to some other source. Even if, for example, I'm not too fond of the Black Arm aliens being around or how Boom!Knuckles is different compared to Game!, Archie!, or even OVA!Knuckles, they're of a different setting than each of other, so whatever comes in or what they decide to take from the others it should be judged more on growth of it's own merits as well. (seems like Ian's been lurking this topic more than I thought)

I also like the summarized process of how the comics are made. Looks even more brisk and rapid than I thought.

By "Sonic-appropriate", I honestly wasn't talking about the darkness of the plot point at all. I find it annoying when people insist that Sonic be lighthearted without any of the kind of elements you specified, CSS.

I probably should've specified that my problem was with just the very idea of de-anthropomorphizing Sonic-style anthro characters. That bothers me because Sonic characters in general are so completely detached from "real animals" (in terms of behavior and appearance, and the fact that non-anthro animals have been appearing since the very first Sonic game and have just been called Sonic's "animal friends" without even bothering with the fact that Sonic is technically an animal himself) that the very concept barely makes sense in the context of Sonic.

That wasn't even remotely clear from my post though, so yeah...

Ah, I see.

Though I don't fully agree with it not making sense in the context of Sonic tho. Awkward, maybe (though even that's a stretch for me to see), but other than that I have trouble seeing the problem with it. Maybe it's because of all the other concepts that we've had like aliens, gods and prophecies, genetic experiments, and militaries among a bunch of other things, it's just hard to see that as out of place compared to everything else - that and I'm one who thinks it has little to do with the concept and more to do with the execution of said concept.

It's whatever though, it's not something that bothers me in the slightest whether it does or doesn't make sense. If anything, it just seemed a bit out of nowhere rather than lacking sense.

Wow. So Ian actually DID want Phoenix Wright in, but Capcom denied it.

This is starting to confirm my fears that Ace Attorney is turning into the new Mega Man in terms of how done Capcom seems to want it to go away. Things are looking bleak for Dai Gyakuten Saiban getting translated.

Don't they have at least two Ace Attorney games in development right now, though?  (I think it's been confirmed that they're working on AA6.)  Seems to me more like Capcom has simply become less interested in localising anything which they don't think will make pots of money.  Which I agree is a big shame especially as part of the reason these things become lost causes is precisely because they aren't willing to push it (see also Square Enix's treatment of Dragon Quest and JRPGs more generally in the west).

Don't they have at least two Ace Attorney games in development right now, though?  (I think it's been confirmed that they're working on AA6.)  Seems to me more like Capcom has simply become less interested in localising anything which they don't think will make pots of money.  Which I agree is a big shame especially as part of the reason these things become lost causes is precisely because they aren't willing to push it (see also Square Enix's treatment of Dragon Quest and JRPGs more generally in the west).

I thought someone said that the reason Phoenix wasn't allowed in was that there would be no way for him to take part in the massive battle scene at the end? 

Oh, actual progress with an ongoing plot point during the crossover, wasn't expecting that.

Also why is Sonic acting as if the last emerald is out in the open when he should know Eggman has it?

Are the Sigma suits exclusive to the comic? Or were those in the games?

If you're talking about the suits the Deadly Six are wearing, they are comic-exclusive. Sigma uses the suits to take direct control of them

Oh it was Sigma that was controlling Orbot!

And the last one, this is where they will be robotisised into Sonic Man and M'egga Man or something right?

Sonic is going to be robotized into Sonic Man, part of the robotized masters line from Worlds Collide. Mega Man's going to be reprogrammed by Eggman into M'egga Man 

With a little practice, and making sure he doesn't go down the Ron Lim route* (overdependence, rushed pencils, etc), I think Schoening could be a great contributing artist to either Sonic OR Mega Man.

*Not that's possible now with the number of talents they have for pencilers nowadays...

It depends entirely on what his schedule is I suppose. He's basically the artist for Ghostbusters (Luis being his regular colorist) but that's in a state of being mostly 4-issue crossovers (TMNT, The Real Ghostbusters cartoon) so who knows?

Actually, last I checked, IDW has at least temporaily stopped making Ghostbusters comics. The last one I can think of was the Ghostbusters/TMNT crossover which he did draw.

Point is that I don't know what IDW is doing with the GBs, but it's no longer an ongoing anymore.

Edited by biznizz