Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Kinda iffy on Madonna's design. She looks like she just popped out of a Resident Evil game, and I don't think it gels very well with most of the other designs.

So wait, does "Team Sticks" not show up in this chapter?

I didn't see Sticks at all in part 3. I didn't still read the issue yet, so she may or may not get talked about here. 

I think I see Sticks in that final panel you posted, where Sonic Man and M'egga Man are looking at a portal with two silhouettes emerging out of it.

Wow, lots of surprises today. I didn't expect that Madonna-Topaz hybrid, nor...

Gemerl, I mean, they hinted at him, but I'd never thought to see him debut in the crossover. I guess we didn't spend much time in Mobotropolis in the new continuity.

Whoa...so that's what they used Madonna for? They weren't lying when they said we wouldn't expect it. :lol:

And man, things look like they're getting intense here. I saw missiles blow up city blocks in one of those images.

While Mysterion is prepping that, let's have some non-Worlds Unite preview pages.

SonicSuperDigest_12-0.jpg

SonicSuperDigest_12-2.jpg

SonicSuperDigest_12-3.jpg

SonicSuperDigest_12-8.jpg

SonicSuperDigest_12-9.jpg

SonicSuperDigest_12-10.jpg

No leopard print camo for Agent Madonna 5/10

tumblr_nlsq7zyy7s1rkumvuo1_r1_1280.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, no, but it is a reference to three characters/bits of media anyway (the third one isn't Katella).

Well, no, but it is a reference to three characters/bits of media anyway (the third one isn't Katella).

Again, I'm being somewhat facetious. (though I am rather satisfied at inadvertantly foreshadowing Madonna's reappearance)

This does give me some confidence that if they do decide to revive Katella (not that I have a burning need to see her in the comic). They at least shouldn't be able to muck up her design too much, or at least not 'tone it down'.

Mixed about that Madonna hybrid, looks a bit too Uncanny Valley, something the reboot looked like it was starting to try avoid. I like how the artist has drawn the Satam cast though, Snively and Naugus (and even King Acorn to some degree) look more like their cartoon selves (Snively looks far better without a chin).

It's to make her appear more serious. However I can see what you're getting at, I feel somewhat the same about Professor Von Schlemmer's new design.

That being said, she is rather saucy, ooer.

I'm not big on Von Schlemmer's new design either, though it does have at least some vague cartooniness to it. Madonna's almost a photo trace.

Damn man, Me'egga Man an Sonic Man are so damn tough that freaking Gemerl had to step in!?

Jeez, that is some power those two are packing. Glad to see Gemerl in action through, through I don't think he's at full power through right?

Not really a fan of Madonna being a G.U.N. agent personally.

I'm not big on Von Schlemmer's new design either, though it does have at least some vague cartooniness to it. Madonna's almost a photo trace.

Yeah I can see that, it's likely they simply went more with Topaz's design rather than Madonna's more cartoonish and cutsey one. Because a, it fits the whole GUN agent thing more and secondly more people recognise Topaz.

I'll be honest though, it does seem a little bit strange to get hyped over a returning character like Madonna, who is really just here in name only. I know she was just a concept idea with zero character but, I don't know, it does seem a bit pandering. One could have just put her in as a background character and made a new replacement for Topaz and job done. It's nice and all that she is in the comic in a finalised form but truth be told this isn't so much as a reboot of Madonna as it is a character who looks similar to her and with her name as a clever nod. I hate to coin a buzzword but, artificial hype? Really I guess what I'm trying to say is that while it's good to see a new character the fact that she has a name attached to her shouldn't be of that great importance, or rather, we would not care so deeply about this new GUN agent if she wasn't called Madonna.

Don't get me wrong, I like that we have a female GUN agent, and while I have a slight hang-up on her design that's pretty much entirely due to the fact that she is called Madonna and is obviously meant to be a recreation of that character. Yet looks more like Topaz, I think they really need to get a fix on what humans look like in this reboot.

Yeah I can see that, it's likely they simply went more with Topaz's design rather than Madonna's more cartoonish and cutsey one.

That might possibly be the artist taste actually.

Some artist ldraw humans either cartoony looking so they blend more with the Sonic cast, or may go with a more semi-anime route or sometimes go a little too realistic (Sonic 06).

That might possibly be the artist taste actually.

Some artist ldraw humans either cartoony looking so they blend more with the Sonic cast, or may go with a more semi-anime route or sometimes go a little too realistic (Sonic 06).

That's a fair point, I really hope they do more cartoony Von Schlemmer in future and less Blue Ganondorf.

I'll be honest though, it does seem a little bit strange to get hyped over a returning character like Madonna, who is really just here in name only.

Does it really count as "returning" if the character was never used in the first place?

Don't get me wrong, I like that we have a female GUN agent

Well, we also have Amanda Tower.

Speaking of which, wonder if she'll ever appear again soon.

Does it really count as "returning" if the character was never used in the first place?

Well, she was designed so it is a return of sorts.

I'm not complaining or trying to raise a fuss, I'm simply observing how people (including myself) are able to get more excited over a character simply by attaching a name to her.

,,, not even remotely. Have you ever seen stuff like that? That's nowhere NEAR close to shit like Greg Land does. Madonna is an anime-styled human, just like Tower and every other human in this franchise not named Eggman or Snively.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm... Am I the only person who saw those pics from Part 3 and

got a bit of a Shard vibe from Gemerl? I'm personally okay with that. Shard kinda had a bit of Gemerl in him anyway (mostly the "enemy robot rebuilt/revived to serve the good guys" thing and the color scheme), so since we can't have an actual Shard (sadly), Gemerl is a more than sufficient "replacement" imo. Now I really want this issue, darn it.

• Thumbs Up 6

Personally I think Madonna looks fine.

I mean it's just a name she had literally zero character. So I'm not really seeing why making her a G.U.N Agent or fusing her with Topaz is such a bad thing. This kind of thing happens all the time in alternate continuities.

Since her role is obviously meant to be a nod to Topaz (who's probably still off-limits), it'd be cool to see Madonna and Rouge interacting in the future. We need a Sonic Comic Origin story for Rouge that has a recreation of this scene

But yeah I'm cool with this. There wasn't really much to go off of with Madonna, especially since they'd obviously not be allowed to make her Sonic's love interest for...many, many reasons.

Hmm... Am I the only person who saw those pics from Part 3 and

got a bit of a Shard vibe from Gemerl? I'm personally okay with that. Shard kinda had a bit of Gemerl in him anyway (mostly the "enemy robot rebuilt/revived to serve the good guys" thing and the color scheme), so since we can't have an actual Shard (sadly), Gemerl is a more than sufficient "replacement" imo. Now I really want this issue, darn it.

I had the same thought when I saw that panel among the pics Mysterion posted!

If Gemerl is used as essentially a replacement for Shard, I'm pretty cool with that. It makes a lot of sense. I'm just curious to see what Ian does with him in general, since I was always disappointed that Gemerl never showed up again after Advance 3.

Emerl copied personality traits from Sonic back when he was still growing. Since Shard was based on Sonic, logically there would be similarities personality-wise.

The color scheme could be a coincidence. Did Ian ever say Shard was based on Gemerl?